• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Golf: World Tour |OT| Bring Cursing to the Fore with Mario and Friends!

Jasconius

Ah, people are awake now? I checked earlier and saw no activity so I was unlocking stuff. ;p

Edit: Cool, playing now~

Tough drive on that second hole >_<

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Finally broke into the GAF tourney top 10 with a -20. Could've done better as was short on 1 or 2 putts, but I think that'll probably be the best I can manage before the tournament ends.

Toki1776

Well, finished the Early Bird tourney with a -16, which is actually pretty respectable for me... Had a couple missed eagle opportunities, but severely choked on 15... went OB off the tee, and subsequently whiffed on the green to end up with a bogey on that one. Also misjudged the green on 18 to end up with par on it. Other than that, I can't complain about that score :)

I do look forward to future gaf tournaments, and will drop into the community lobby to join in on the live games.

On a different note, I am really pleased with the game so far. Just for some background, I've always enjoyed golf games, despite the fact that I've never actually owned one(until now, lol). When I was a kid, I used to rent then to play with my grandpa when I would vist them over the summer. Later on, when the ps1 came out, I had a demo disk with Hot Shots on it, and played the hell out of that. A good friend of mine had Toadstool Tour, I played enough of that to make it my frame of reference for a golf game I would enjoy.

Now, as far as this game goes, I'm enjoying the Castle Club setup in this, it gives a little more depth to the single player experience than TT had. Mechanically, I do miss being able to mark the spot on the ball where I plan to hit pre-swing, to see the effect on trajectory. I have played enough and understand the physics of it well enough to not need it, however. The camera is decent, it just seems to take a little bit more user input to see some things sometimes than Toadstool Tour did. The putting and approach bars seem a little slower than TT's, though the timing on a perfect shot is a bit more strict.

On the whole, I am impressed with the online offerings, tournaments are an easy way to get even more life out of the game which, as long as you enjoy the mechanics, you can play for quite a while before having legitimately done everything. Glad I have it digital, the easy access to it is nice :)

Velcro Fly

Have not been able to recapture the magic that I had when I went -14 on the Forest Course with my default Mii. I've shot low 60s again there a few times and at Seaside but nothing outlandish like some of you guys.

Jasconius

Good game guys!

I got a glove from JKTrix this time even though I didn't get anything last time and we were playing with our Miis both times... so maybe it's just a chance to get an item?

RomanceDawn

How are you guys getting these amazing numbers? What process do you guys through when lining up shots and such? After 18 holes I'm like +1 if I'm lucky.

multivac

Okay, I need this game. Loved Toadstool Tour too much.

Question: Nintendo's account/save file/system transfer procedures are kinda convoluted and I was wondering if physical games always save on the cart. Specifically, Animal Crossing and Mario Golf.

My concern is that I don't want to link my Wii U account to the 3DS yet because my wife plays Animal Crossing and I have no idea if it saves anything directly to the system. The idea is to get another 3DS in the future (probably when I break down and buy the Mario Golf DLC, since I know that is Nintendo Network account-specific) and I want her to be able to just plug in Animal Crossing into the new 3DS and go. Is that how it works?

Cody_D165

Banned
Okay, I need this game. Loved Toadstool Tour too much.

Question: Nintendo's account/save file/system transfer procedures are kinda convoluted and I was wondering if physical games always save on the cart. Specifically, Animal Crossing and Mario Golf.

My concern is that I don't want to link my Wii U account to the 3DS yet because my wife plays Animal Crossing and I have no idea if it saves anything directly to the system. The idea is to get another 3DS in the future (probably when I break down and buy the Mario Golf DLC, since I know that is Nintendo Network account-specific) and I want her to be able to just plug in Animal Crossing into the new 3DS and go. Is that how it works?

Physical games save on the cartridge. Digital Games are stored on SD and also save on the SD card. Add-ons and DLC will be stored to the SD as well.

Had a go at the GAF earlybird tourny

u7HS1mUl.jpg

I did as well. -10!

Jasconius

How are you guys getting these amazing numbers? What process do you guys through when lining up shots and such? After 18 holes I'm like +1 if I'm lucky.
It's really just a lot of practice! I don't know about others but I played a LOT of Toadstool Tour back in the day and it was pretty quick getting back into the swing of things.
;)

If you haven't yet, try the practice stuff to the right of the 3 courses, they have some useful hints.

In general though, assuming that the shot trajectory is on, I will hit X, look at where it is projecting the ball will land and at what angle, glance at the wind and make adjustments in my head, then decide what kind of spin I need for the shot. If I'm approaching the green, I try to use backspin to keep the ball where I land but it isn't always possible!

Kinsei

Banned
I finally completed all 10 Sky Island challenges. That was brutal, but on the bright side I ended up getting 5 hole in ones over the course of the 10 challenges. 3 with Peach, 1 with Boo, and 1 with Waluigi.

Been playing this. (Got digital version at launch.) and loving it alot, will probably play it more than Mario Tennis Open by the end of the month which is a shock since I've always liked Tennis better.

Tried all Official and GAF Tourneys and lve the wa Tournaments work. Went back to the Early Bird Tourney around a hour so and up -7 up from -4!

Love that you can create tournaments for everyone! I made a Short 3 Hole Toadette ToadGighlands Tournament if anyone wants o participate. (Its open to everyone, not private.) Its a very short tournament that you can keep retrying alot. It will last a full two weeks. I plan to create more soon. Code is: 47-5624-6786-6953

PS: If anyone who doesn't have the DLC can, try to enter my tournament and see if you can play DLC courses via user tournaments. Was curious about that.

Edit: Actually, you should enter another tournament to find that out, one that doesn't require Toadette since you can't even select that character lol.

Hey people, I'm new to Mario Golf (and golf in general), and I was hoping you could help me with some questions the tutorial didn't answer for me:

1. When you hit a 'perfect' shot (time the distance and sweetspot on a shot perfectly), the ball will leave a trail of stars. Does this give an extra bonus (on top of hitting the ball optimally), or is it just to signify your shot was perfect?

2. Is there a difference between hitting A or B to time the sweetspot of your shot, aside from possibly setting up a topspin or backspin?

3. When you give ball topspin or backspin, does this also affect the ball's trajectory in the air or only it's path when it lands on the grass?

4. And finally, to combine a lot of questions I'm having into one, what are the consequences of changing the impact point of your swing? Will the ball travel less far because I'm not hitting it on it's center of mass? Will it get topspin/backspin once it lands on the grass? Does it affect anything else besides the shape of your trajectory?

Thanks in advance!

XiaNaphryz

If I'm approaching the green, I try to use backspin to keep the ball where I land but it isn't always possible!

Yeah, this isn't always the best course of action, especially if the hole is elevated quite a bit from your position. In many of these cases, simply doing a high shot (holding down during the swing to hit the ball at the very bottom) will provide just enough natural backspin to get the ball to land softly enough. The green won't run fast enough for added backspin to really benefit you in these sorts of scenarios.

You can't.

That said, please add tournaments you make to the spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ak9HPe1aps6adEtmNWxlYVk3T0JuaEt0MzZ2OE9JS3c#gid=0

Thanks! :)
Alrighty then, added.

I suck at the game so far. I'm using the Auto option, manual just seems too complicated for me.

Also very glad I got this digitally with how the tournaments work between the Official ones and NeoGAF ones, I can't keep up with since theres so many lol. Great game.

Hey people, I'm new to Mario Golf (and golf in general), and I was hoping you could help me with some questions the tutorial didn't answer for me:

1. When you hit a 'perfect' shot (time the distance and sweetspot on a shot perfectly), the ball will leave a trail of stars. Does this give an extra bonus (on top of hitting the ball optimally), or is it just to signify your shot was perfect?

2. Is there a difference between hitting A or B to time the sweetspot of your shot, aside from possibly setting up a topspin or backspin?

3. When you give ball topspin or backspin, does this also affect the ball's trajectory in the air or only it's path when it lands on the grass?

4. And finally, to combine a lot of questions I'm having into one, what are the consequences of changing the impact point of your swing? Will the ball travel less far because I'm not hitting it on it's center of mass? Will it get topspin/backspin once it lands on the grass?

Thanks in advance!
1) If you're using a Power Shot and get that then you don't use up a Power Shot. Otherwise it just signifies a perfect shot.

2) It just sets up topspin/backspin

3) I don't think it affects trajectory since that's what the impact point is for. Maybe?

4) It changes trajectory pretty much.

Lettuce

A Sentient Keyboard said:

4. And finally, to combine a lot of questions I'm having into one, what are the consequences of changing the impact point of your swing? Will the ball travel less far because I'm not hitting it on it's center of mass? Will it get topspin/backspin once it lands on the grass?

Thanks in advance!

3. This doesnt actual effect the ball when it lands, only in flight, the top spin, super top spin, back spin, super back spin on the lower screen is what actually effects the ball when it lands

4. Hitting the ball 'early' will fade the ball (curve to the left) and hitting 'later' will hook the ball (curve to the right) and opposite if left handed player

XiaNaphryz

4. Hitting the ball 'early' will fade the ball (curve to the left) and hitting 'later' will hook the ball (curve to the right) and opposite if left handed player

I think he's talking about the impact point on the ball (i.e. holding left or right during the shot process). You're talking about the impact point on the meter. But the same thing applies - holding left will fade, right will draw. You can control the amount by how far you hold the stick in a particular direction.

Also, your terms are mixed up. A shot curving towards the left then back to the right is a fade, a shot curving towards the right and back to left if a draw. A hook is an extreme draw (goes way left), a slice is an extreme fade (goes way right).

DirtyLarry

How does one enter the American Tournament the game itself is advertising?
I am nowhere near good enough at the game yet to consider playing the GAF tournament, but I do want to enter the one the game is advertising, so far I have only been able to find the Mario Cup tournament?

I am just not good yet at all with the trajectory and spin stuff. Are people using the stylus or just their fingers or just using the L Circle to aim? So far I cannot get comfortable with any of those options.

Top Bottom