• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Golf: World Tour |OT| Bring Cursing to the Fore with Mario and Friends!

mf luder

My problem with the putting is I can't see the hole clearly. The camera needs to be a bit higher and angled down a bit or something. Or its just the low res screen on the normal 3DS. Having 3D turned on full blast helps out a tiny tiny bit, but I really want to be able to see the hole more.

I use the behind the hole view to line up most of my putts.

Velcro Fly

Just by messing around a little bit you realize how completely devastating it is to not get a perfect on every single shot

Also on the coin collecting thing it's really clunky telling you to putt if you've missed it and it has you facing the complete opposite way of the hole. Like seriously what the fuck

"Normalizing" a character like Rosalina by stripping her down to sports wear would be plain weird, if you ask me. It does not fit the character, so I find her wearing her traditional clothing and commanding the golf club rather than using it herself to be a far better representation of the character. She's not just another one of the princesses.

Wait, have they released any video footage of her yet? So are you saying she uses her wand to magically control her golf club and swing it that way?

If she floats too, like the queen tyrant descendent from the heavens that she is, all of my complaints about her not wearing sensible sporting attire will go out the window.

I plaid the demo and unsurprisingly liked it a lot. The one thing I didn't like was having to press the touch screen for the different spins after you hit the ball. There are button prompts for each of them, but doing the super topspin and super backspin (AB and BA respectively, I think) was impossible for me to get down consistently. I assume you're supposed to press them in quick succession but after trying that several times and failing, I just stuck with quickly tapping the pad.

I've tried the ring challenge about ten times and still haven't beaten it. I like how they throw in something that's actually challenging for the demo.

ffdgh

Ok so I've played them demo and learned I suck at golf and I have to be as perfect as possible lol.

Having fun with peach.

Wait, have they released any video footage of her yet? So are you saying she uses her wand to magically control her golf club and swing it that way?

If she floats too, like the queen tyrant descendent from the heavens that she is, all of my complaints about her not wearing sensible sporting attire will go out the window.
As shown in the OP:
8jTQJ.jpg

Velcro Fly

I'm a hair late and instead of going 150 yards it goes 34.

For a game with an obvious lag from when I press the button and I need to correct for that, that is a huge issue.

I could go on Toadstool Tour after years of not playing it and dominate because there's no lag on manual shots like there is here.

Kouriozan

Ok so I've played them demo and learned I suck at golf and I have to be as perfect as possible lol.

Having fun with peach.
To be fair, it's my first 3D Mario Golf and the first 10/20 minutes all I was doing was Bogey/Double Bogey.
Now I'm getting Birdie 95% of the time.

Smilax

Got to try the demo just recently. I have to say, I wasn't expected to have this much control. Unless topspin and backspin are a old mechanic, I quite like how its done and how useful it is. I find putting to be a bit harder now but I can easily get around the issues. I love the music in the demo, especially in Yoshi Lake. I think this will be really fun and I hope to be able to pick up my copy when it releases.

Cody_D165

Banned
Got to try the demo just recently. I have to say, I wasn't expected to have this much control. Unless topspin and backspin are a old mechanic, I quite like how its done and how useful it is. I find putting to be a bit harder now but I can easily get around the issues. I love the music in the demo, especially in Yoshi Lake. I think this will be really fun and I hope to be able to pick up my copy when it releases.

Topspin/Backspin were in Toadstool Tour. They do succeed in adding an extra degree of control which is great.

Smilax

Topspin/Backspin were in Toadstool Tour. They do succeed in adding an extra degree of control which is great.

I figured, but I do enjoy the mechanic. Really helps me position shots better and such. Although I wish the camera was better in this game, but perhaps I should just time my shots better instead of just rushing!

I'm a hair late and instead of going 150 yards it goes 34.

For a game with an obvious lag from when I press the button and I need to correct for that, that is a huge issue.

I could go on Toadstool Tour after years of not playing it and dominate because there's no lag on manual shots like there is here.
TT had about the same amount of lag. It was built into the game and intentional. And yes, I play it on a CRT.

EDIT: Though in this case the lag is 'cuz 30 FPS.

RoadDogg

I wish they carried over the super side spins from HSG. I know it would be a pain to do on the 3DS, but I still like the HSG3/4 method of holding the stick in different directions while swinging to perform spins. It just felt like it required more skill instead of simple button combos. It made pulling them off feel all the more special and going for them all the more risky (especially side spins to get around obstacles). Can you even perform a side spin in this? Or do you have to pick a character with a natural fade/draw to really get around stuff? I know you can move the ball impact point during your swing but I haven't noticed much difference in its final path yet.

Velcro Fly

That feeling when you destroy the ring master in one go with your main golfing bro Yoshi!

I'd have some really easy putts if I didn't instinctively put top spin on everything :(

Kouriozan

I'd have some really easy putts if I didn't instinctively put top spin on everything :(
Sounds like me x)
I almost use super topspin every shot, but now I'm starting to just do normal shot to put the ball on the green.
I'm learning how to deal with the wind little by little, thankfully there will be a real tutorial in the full version.

Velcro Fly

Short game is definitely getting there. Remembering now on approach shots its almost always better (for me anyway) to leave it short and use topspin instead of going for the full distance.

Also I'm up to 790 coins now. I'm sure I can do nothing with them but it sure is fun to see them pile up!

RoadDogg

Short game is definitely getting there. Remembering now on approach shots its almost always better (for me anyway) to leave it short and use topspin instead of going for the full distance.

Also I'm up to 790 coins now. I'm sure I can do nothing with them but it sure is fun to see them pile up!

If you want coins play the tutorial once. I don't know if its supposed to happen but I got a hole in 1 and got 1000 coins out of it. I didn't even really do the tutorial, just spammed the buttons fast and hit skip as much as I could.

I thought the demo was really easy, I got a birdie on every hole my first time and I'm not that good at games usually.

Also, I'm wondering if the demo had a bug in it. The grid that appears on the course when you're targetting a shot, I always remembered that appearing centered on where the shot was projected to land in previous games, but in the demo the actual shot sometimes didn't even land inside the grid. Is this intentional?
The grid doesn't account for wind or spin at all. I'm fairly sure the whole point of the grid is just to give you an idea of the elevation and slope of the area you are aiming.

ffdgh

To be fair, it's my first 3D Mario Golf and the first 10/20 minutes all I was doing was Bogey/Double Bogey.
Now I'm getting Birdie 95% of the time.

Oh I mean't I want to be perfect as possible or i'll restart the course lol. Darn demo Is pushing me to buy this...

Also, I'm wondering if the demo had a bug in it. The grid that appears on the course when you're targetting a shot, I always remembered that appearing centered on where the shot was projected to land in previous games, but in the demo the actual shot sometimes didn't even land inside the grid. Is this intentional?
This game is a fusion of TT and MG64 mechanics. The way the grid works is one of the MG64 mechanics and has been shown to be retained in the full game. The way you change the impact point of the ball is also from MG64.

Velcro Fly

Yoshi Lake is going to be one of the more brutal courses I think. You fuck up one shot and it is easily +3 or +4 because of how the game handles drops.

It's honestly easier to just ignore those dumb bounce pads because the likelihood of missing is high and you either get stuck beneath or right in front of them and then the hole is pretty much toast.

AdanVC

Glad to see this game is getting good reviews overall. I might pick this up but then there's Kirby's Triple Deluxe... Oh well, both of them would be I guess.

Revven

Destructoid review is up. This morning they said the review would be late because they had server issues, but it looks like they were finally able to test the online play.

...Which seems to be a big part of their 8.5. http://www.destructoid.com/review-mario-golf-world-tour-273705.phtml

They make the online sound really awesome. I assume by asynchronous they mean everyone's playing at the same time and you never have to watch the other player take their turn or anything? I thought that only applied to local MP, sounds really wicked if it's online too.

bender

What time is it?
I really need to unlearn Hot Shots Golf. Not feeling the demo but I'll give it some more time later this weekend.

Kouriozan

Ring Master took me a bunch of tries but I finally did it. Can't wait for the release next week :D
Yeah, it's pretty hard but finally managed to do it yesterday.
I dunno why but I like playing with Bowser, his (double?) bogey animation where he smash the camera is awesome.
Also, just noticed that Peach victory animation after the Star Coin course she is striking a pose like her stained glasses in her castle :

Yoshi Lake is going to be one of the more brutal courses I think. You fuck up one shot and it is easily +3 or +4 because of how the game handles drops.
Aimed into the water underneath a block on purpose just now.

I just pitched the ball out to the side and carried on. You don't get a penalty stroke so you're only down one stroke. Certainly not +3 or +4 material.

EDIT: And there's no drop. You're hitting it out of the water. So what's happening is that your ball stops underneath the block so of course it's going to be underneath the block! XD

hort22

I just got a 2DS last week and will be trying the demo tonight. My first handheld since the GameBoy Color o_O I actually can't decide if I want to keep it though because my initial impressions are that it's not comfortable to hold. Lots of people say the 2DS is better than the XL in terms of ergonomics but I need to decide for myself. I am also tempted to get the larger screen even if it will look slightly more pixelated because the normal screen is on the small side. XL is also more portable because of the clamshell

also i would be going from a ds lite to either so dont think i would miss the bigger screen until i bought the wrong one...lol

so im wondering if the ball cursor acts more like the n64 version rather then the gamecube version...thats what its sounding like

rekameohs

Banned
I wish they carried over the super side spins from HSG. I know it would be a pain to do on the 3DS, but I still like the HSG3/4 method of holding the stick in different directions while swinging to perform spins. It just felt like it required more skill instead of simple button combos. It made pulling them off feel all the more special and going for them all the more risky (especially side spins to get around obstacles). Can you even perform a side spin in this? Or do you have to pick a character with a natural fade/draw to really get around stuff? I know you can move the ball impact point during your swing but I haven't noticed much difference in its final path yet.
You can do this with the touch screen controls.

Haven't played Mario Golf since 64 so it took me a bit until I started getting back into rhythm and hitting those perfect shots consistently.

Long distance Birdie shots are still the bane of my play.

Velcro Fly

Aimed into the water underneath a block on purpose just now.

I just pitched the ball out to the side and carried on. You don't get a penalty stroke so you're only down one stroke. Certainly not +3 or +4 material.

EDIT: And there's no drop. You're hitting it out of the water. So what's happening is that your ball stops underneath the block so of course it's going to be underneath the block! XD

The second hole in the demo with the actual hazard has the drop right in front of the bounce pad. It can be troublesome especially if you don't get a perfect shot from there.

Velcro Fly

Oh, that? Let me go check

You can hit around it after that but if you don't get a perfect shot you run the risk of either drilling the pad and going backwards or going right back in the water again. Just seemed sort of mean all things considered.

I've managed to have birdie putts on the first two holes just hitting around the pads too. I imagine with star characters or a beefed up Mii you will be able to overpower the hole

kdoll08

You can do this by holding left or right after you first press A to start you shot. It's kind of like hot shots but you don't have to do it on opposite sides like in hot shots.

The Destructoid review confirmed that creating a custom tournament in this game is as easy as setting up the rules ingame and then posting the code here.

That's pretty much perfect for GAF.

Draconian

So is there anyway to put backspin on the ball using the buttons if you're also using the buttons when shooting? I'm getting really annoyed that the game thinks I want super top spin just because I hit A once to finish my shot.

It's much more of a challenge then the GBC Mario Golf that I've been playing up to this point. Which I like, not that Mario Golf was easy by any means. But this being in a true 3D space instead of a "pseudo-3D but really 2D" changes a lot of the variables I have to keep track of.

Been enjoying the demo so far, if I keep enjoying it I'll pick the game up when I have some extra cash down the road. Bit miffed that it has the 15 play limit instead of 30, c'mon Nintendo.

Top Bottom