• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Golf: World Tour |OT| Bring Cursing to the Fore with Mario and Friends!

Kinsei

Banned
So is there anyway to put backspin on the ball using the buttons if you're also using the buttons when shooting? I'm getting really annoyed that the game thinks I want super top spin just because I hit A once to finish my shot.

Instead of hitting A to finish your shot, hit B. AA is top spin, AB is super top spin, BB is back spin,and BA is super back spin.

This doesn't make sense to me. I feel like it would be way more natural to have them reversed.

A B is alphabetically FORWARD (forward spin). B A is alphabetically BACKWARD (back spin).

I would think it would be confusing the other way round.

Revven

Game is fun, didn't have trouble controlling anything so I don't get the complaints -- feels like the previous titles to me! Can't wait to get the full game. :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Instead of hitting A to finish your shot, hit B. AA is top spin, AB is super top spin, BB is back spin,and BA is super back spin.

Is that different to using the circle pad to move the cursor of the ball?

I need to go back and check the ringmaster course. That seemed impossible to me - not enough shots, plus difficult to see precisely where you are aiming. Generally I'm not a fan of gimmicky courses, will probably stick to the normalise ones.

G-Pink

Can someone who has the full game tell me if it's possible to stop the characters from talking every 5 seconds while I'm trying to line up a shot? Good god it's annoying.

SHUT UP MARIO.

Kinsei

Banned

I need to go back and check the ringmaster course. That seemed impossible to me - not enough shots, plus difficult to see precisely where you are aiming. Generally I'm not a fan of gimmicky courses, will probably stick to the normalise ones.

Yes. Moving the cursor changes where you hit the ball. You can do both at the same time as well if you think the shot you're trying to make calls for it.

A B is alphabetically FORWARD (forward spin). B A is alphabetically BACKWARD (back spin).

For me it's just remembering that the same button twice = regular, different buttons = super, because having to hit different buttons is slightly more complex which means more power.

And then you lead off with B for "backspin" or the other one for topspin and it all just falls into place. :p

RoadDogg

Regular is just 1 button push (A or B) when setting accuracy which results in no spin.

Special is 2 button pushes when setting accuracy (AA or BB) which results in a forward spin or a back spin.

Super Special is 2 alternating button pushes when setting accuracy (AB or BA) which results in a super forward spin or a super back spin.

Outside of the length of the spin I'm not sure if there are other differences in them. In HSG doing a super spin could let you do things like climb the pole and slam into the hole. It obviously didn't change your stroke count, but it was a cool extra touch to try and get.

Regular is just 1 button push (A or B) when setting accuracy which results in no spin.

Special is 2 button pushes when setting accuracy (AA or BB) which results in a forward spin or a back spin.

Super Special is 2 alternating button pushes when setting accuracy (AB or BA) which results in a super forward spin or a super back spin.

Outside of the length of the spin I'm not sure if there are other differences in them. In HSG doing a super spin could let you do things like climb the pole and slam into the hole. It obviously didn't change your stroke count, but it was a cool extra touch to try and get.
...? He said what you said. How is he confused?

Yeah, I re-read it after I hit Reply ;) The word "Regular" threw me off because a regular shot doesn't take 2 button pushes. But he meant a regular special shot, not a regular normal shot.

Yeah sorry, I was specifically referring to topspin or backspin.

If other people are like me then they'll know that you hardly make a shot in this game without one or the other. :) Sometimes a plain shot can be useful to just see where it lies...I've gotten really pissed at myself sometimes for using spins too much and overshooting everything, but generally they're good stuff.

Regular backspin when you're hitting the green at an angle is awesome for landing by the hole!

Jagsrock

Banned
Just played the demo. This game is solid!I actually lost track of time playing. The music is nice the graphics are pleasing and landing perfect shots and long puts is so satisfying. I'm definitely on board with this one.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist

With the button layout, AB is physically backward and BA is physically forward. That matches with the notion of A being topspin and B being backspin. It literally feels like tapping the top of the imaginary ball or the bottom. I am not thinking about the damn alphabet when I play videogames, but I am thinking spatially and what a motion of my thumb feels like in relation to a virtual object. Sliding it forward feels like what I would need to do to make a ball roll forward, and sliding it backward feels like what I would need to do to make a ball come back towards me.

Welp I'm fucking ready! I've been waiting for this game forever and the demo is great! Nailing chip ins and long puts is so awesome. Control is pretty much perfect!

Loooove it

DarkKyo

Don't Nintendo games usually come out on the weekend? What's with this coming out on a Friday? Also, does this mean Amazon prime is gonna get it to us release day?

Kinsei

Banned
Don't Nintendo games usually come out on the weekend? What's with this coming out on a Friday? Also, does this mean Amazon prime is gonna get it to us release day?

They've been doing Friday releases instead of Sunday releases for a while now. I think it started with Pokemon X/Y.

Hey, this Hole-In-One music is pretty cool. ~

I'm shocked that it was Lefty Bowser I got my first one with, though, due to that curve...

Branson

So in the Mario Golf mode or whatever are you playing against other AI opponents or anything? Or is it just get the best score you can by yourself? This might be my first MG so I was just wondering.

RedBoot

Can someone who has the full game tell me if it's possible to stop the characters from talking every 5 seconds while I'm trying to line up a shot? Good god it's annoying.

SHUT UP MARIO.

Series tradition. One of the earlier games (I think it was Toadstool Tour, might have been 64) would have a Boo fly across the screen, complete with Boo laugh, any time you left the controller idle for like, 3 seconds. So any time you were using the camera to line up a shot, you'd be concentrating on getting the aim right, and boom, Boo laugh out of nowhere to break your train of thought.

I still hear them, sometimes.

Velcro Fly

Just want the full game already so I can play! The demo was good but it is like giving a starving man a single bite of steak. I need more! I want to start unlocking star characters and buying clothes for my Mii and trying out all the characters to see who I like to use the most. I've done the best with Mario but Yoshi was my dude in TT.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Just downloaded the demo for this from the eShop. This will be my first Mario Golf game ever. Someone tell me what to expect!

Surprisingly sophisticated golfing mechanics and really nice, bold presentation.

This one gives the characters quite a lot of personality too, as everybody has multiple animated sequences for bogeys, birdies, hole in ones, etc. The fantasy themed courses are better in this one too - they feel more like actually playing a round of golf through a Mario game world.

I've been playing for the last hour in bed trying to par that last hole with the rings. Legit rage on a couple of long rim out puts!

G'damn this game is good.

With friends it's going to be AMAZING!

I'm enjoying the demo so far. The game is more complex than meets the eye, but that complexity is logically intuitive (terrain, wind, etc). My only gripe so far is the confusing interface. Speaking of which, are items enabled in the demo? I can't seem to find them on the interface.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm enjoying the demo so far. The game is more complex than meets the eye, but that complexity is logically intuitive (terrain, wind, etc). My only gripe so far is the confusing interface. Speaking of which, are items enabled in the demo? I can't seem to find them on the interface.

You have to tap the shot thing on the top left. It goes Normal -> Power -> Item, but I only saw an item (bullet bill) on the gold coin level.

It took a while, but I managed to get an Eagle with each character in the demo. Used the first Yoshi Lake hole to get them.

Peach took forever lol. You have to have perfect wind, get two perfect power shots (with the first one bouncing off one of those platforms), then putt the ball into the hole, most likely having to use the Medium distance setting. X_X

Vysetron

Neo Member
Oh shit, this is soon! I am excite! Also, had no idea Nabbit was in. I have such a soft spot for that little bastard for some reason.

When placing the cursor on he ball, you have to think about the travel of the ball once it starts bouncing. Sometimes, your club will get you to the pin but will continue to roll so you want to hit underneath the centre of the ball so it almost comes to an immediate stop when it lands.

Or there are times when you want it roll as much as possible so you hit it above centre to have a flatter shot. I always felt that was beat when playing in windy conditions.

Backspin/topspin was also there to compensate once the ball landed.

Almost all the time that I use playing the game is messing with the camera and working out precisely how I want to play the shot.

Top Bottom