• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 7 |OT| Rosalina is Fat, BBW Lovers Unite!

Robin64

So you only need 40 points in a grand prix to get 3 stars? What about all that other criteria the Wii one had, that's gone now?

Tom_Cody

That's my default vehicle of choice, but I tend to play around with different characters and vehicles for variety. This can lead to infuriating races where the combination is terrible.
I went through a period of experimentation that was very frustrating. I'm glad to have a standby now that I know I can count on at least.
I'm almost at 8000.

The last two unlocks are:
Golden Glider
:
10,000 coins
or
100 streetpasses
Golden Kart
:
20,000 coins
or
10,000 VR point
Ok, then those are rewards I had known about. I'm hoping to pass
100 streetpasses
at the Wii U midnight launch in NYC this weekend and
10,000 VR point
is the next major hurdle I'm working towards in playing the game. I have a long way to go with VR points but I'm loving the online experience.

Tom_Cody

So you only need 40 points in a grand prix to get 3 stars? What about all that other criteria the Wii one had, that's gone now?
AFAIK, a 40 point finish is a requirement for 3 stars but it does not guarantee 3 stars.

I have always just focused on getting the fastest times possible. I have never had 4 clean runs and not been rewarded with 3 stars. If you win one or more race due to extreme item luck while doing a crappy job of actually racing, the game will not give you 3 stars. When I have gotten 40 points and only 2 stars, I have agreed that I did not deserve the 3rd star.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'd go the online route if my connection to the MK7 server didn't seem to be so flaky. Just a pain to keep getting disconnected. It saps out all the fun. Also I play this game a lot during my commute so coins it the option I have to take.

So i still haven't gotten this game, LTTP here but i just finished Kid Icarus and wondering now which game to get next, this or Mario 3DLand.

If i am mainly going to be playing SINGLE PLAYER is this still a good buy then over 3D Land?

Also: the Multiplayer, can i just hit online with randoms then or just friends? My buddies don't game (anymore)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well singleplayer is the usual case of how entertained will you be by playing Mario Kart. I actually enjoy racing around the track for a few moments so I got a lot out of the single player. Also time trials in this game is one of the best what with new ghosts constantly being sent to your system and the ability to race 7 of them at a time.

You can play random people online. You can even race those you streetpass online if they're on. There are also the communities. The GAF one isn't that active though.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Thanks, is it also possible to race against a specific ghost of one of my friends then if he's on my list?

Oh yeah, you can race any ghost of your choice 1 vs 1, but choosing to race against 7 will pick a random handful (usually a few slower, some around your best time and a bunch of faster ones).

Just noticed a minor glitch. If you're being brought back on the track by Lakitu and someone uses the lightning item while you are just about to be dropped, you won't shrink but your map icon will.

8000 coins.

12000 to go...

Tom_Cody

So i still haven't gotten this game, LTTP here but i just finished Kid Icarus and wondering now which game to get next, this or Mario 3DLand.

If i am mainly going to be playing SINGLE PLAYER is this still a good buy then over 3D Land?
I just got this at the beginning of October so we are in a similar boat.

I love both 3D Land and this. Come on, if you own a 3DS isn't it a given that you will play both of these eventually? If you do need to pick one, Mario Kart 7 might be preferable considering that NSMB2 and NSMBU have just recently been released. I know I am personally suffering from a bit of platformer Mario fatigue.

As BGBW said, the single player in MK7 is fairly comparable to other Mario Kart games with the notable expansion of the time attack mode.

Also: the Multiplayer, can i just hit online with randoms then or just friends? My buddies don't game (anymore)
Yes. The current random WW online community is excellent. I don't play many online games in general but I have found MK7's online to be fun and painless.

I had already finished getting 3 stars in single player before I started really getting into online and I am loving this stage of my time with the game. At all times of the day I have easy access to high level players from around the world. My previous play sessions consisted of a single GP circuit and now I play 3-5 online races instead.

Thanks, is it also possible to race against a specific ghost of one of my friends then if he's on my list?
Yes, but this probably won't occupy too much of your time. At a certain point you will beat his time and never look back.

The real charm of time attack in MK7 is large quantity of ghosts to choose from. You can continually pick ghost a few seconds faster than yours and use them as guides to move up in the rankings. Some of my times have improved by 20 or more seconds over the course of my experience with the game.

I just got this at the beginning of October so we are in a similar boat.

I love both 3D Land and this. Come on, if you own a 3DS isn't it a given that you will play both of these eventually? If you do need to pick one, Mario Kart 7 might be preferable considering that NSMB2 and NSMBU have just recently been released. I know I am personally suffering from a bit of platformer Mario fatigue.

As BGBW said, the single player in MK7 is fairly comparable to other Mario Kart games with the notable expansion of the time attack mode.

Yes. The current random WW online community is excellent. I don't play many online games in general but I have found MK7's online to be fun and painless.

I had already finished getting 3 stars in single player before I started really getting into online and I am loving this stage of my time with the game. At all times of the day I have easy access to high level players from around the world. My previous play sessions consisted of a single GP circuit and now I play 3-5 online races instead.

Yes, but this probably won't occupy too much of your time. At a certain point you will beat his time and never look back.

The real charm of time attack in MK7 is large quantity of ghosts to choose from. You can continually pick ghost a few seconds faster than yours and use them as guides to move up in the rankings. Some of my times have improved by 20 or more seconds over the course of my experience with the game

Thanks, just wanted to say i got the game yesterday and finished the first cup on 50cc, and man, the game delivered my expectations so far, great handling and i LOVE the little touches and new levels so far!!

About your comment though, to me i feel that might be a bit different, i have a friend who played this very actively and we both have little time to set up online matches and compete directly so in this case this just MIGHT be a good incentive for us to keep one upping each other (me beating his latest ghost, he will see that and try to beat my new record etc)

As for the 3D effect, is it just me or is the 3D in this game not AS prevalent/more understated than in something like say, Kid Icarus (being the only other 3DS game i played so far) to the point that i could turn it off or do you guys feel that something is lost then? It's hard for me to tell somehow.

Tom_Cody

About your comment though, to me i feel that might be a bit different, i have a friend who played this very actively and we both have little time to set up online matches and compete directly so in this case this just MIGHT be a good incentive for us to keep one upping each other (me beating his latest ghost, he will see that and try to beat my new record etc).
I can certainly understand the appeal of what you are describing.

The point I tried (and maybe failed) to make is that times can vary considerably. It is very possible that one of you will just be unapproachablely better than the other. Actual Vs. races balance things out with items. Time attack is all about a final number. Even as I continue to inch my way up in the time attack rankings, I am aware that there are times ahead of me that I will never beat.

As for the 3D effect, is it just me or is the 3D in this game not AS prevalent/more understated than in something like say, Kid Icarus (being the only other 3DS game i played so far) to the point that i could turn it off or do you guys feel that something is lost then? It's hard for me to tell somehow.
I'm inclined to say that the 3D is just better/more-naturally integrated this and thus you simply aren't as conscious of it.

This topic was discussed quite a bit in the Iwata Asks on Mario 3D land. Games with a single/primary point of focus (Mario in Mario 3D land, your cart in MK7) are a much more natural fit for 3D than games with multiple points of focus (Pit and the aiming reticle in KI:U). With a single primary point of focus, that element can be presented at a neutral depth with objects/environments either closer or further away.

This implementation of 3D is 1) less prone to error (and thus less distractingly noticeable) and 2) less noticeable for the reason that the thing you are primarily looking at is being presented at a neutral depth.

I have had the same through as you. I think if you try different 3D settings you come to appreciate the look that the 3D provides.

This might be true, i found that with the 3D slider at the very minimum (without being off) i get the best results, just enough to still view the 3D and yet i somehow manage to maintain my viewing angle better that way (might be my own perception though)

Ok so i just added my friend on my friend list, but HOW exactly do i get his ghost data into my game? Does he need to be ONLINE while i play time trial then? Or is there a way to somehow "upload" his data into my game so that i can race against his ghosts even when he's not on?

Tom_Cody

Ok so i just added my friend on my friend list, but HOW exactly do i get his ghost data into my game? Does he need to be ONLINE while i play time trial then? Or is there a way to somehow "upload" his data into my game so that i can race against his ghosts even when he's not on?
Did you ever find a solution to this? I have only received ghosts via street pass and spot pass. I assume there is a way to do it as a more direct exchange.

Now I feel especially duchey about the unhelpful time-attack advice I was giving you, lol.

Tom_Cody

Btw, I'm still loving online. I'm at ~2,900 VR points and I love that the competition seems to be scaling as I rise. I love looking at the results list and seeing all people in the 2,000 to 4,000 of which most or all have ✭ to ✭✭✭.

No not really, i am gonna see my friend this week and we will try the streetpass thing then, hopefully we can figure it out!

Other than that yeah, i am still struggling to beat 150cc special cup, it's just so damn luck based :( online is fun though i tried a couple matches and placed pretty well each time.

Tom_Cody

No not really, i am gonna see my friend this week and we will try the streetpass thing then, hopefully we can figure it out!
:/

Ugh. Nintendo's partial commitment to online strikes again.

Other than that yeah, i am still struggling to beat 150cc special cup, it's just so damn luck based :( online is fun though i tried a couple matches and placed pretty well each time.
Just focus on improving your time attack times and you will have no trouble starring and triple-starring the GP cups. Blue shells are always annoying, but overwhelmingly single player results are merit based. I triple star 95% of the time when I play single player on 150cc.

:/

Ugh. Nintendo's partial commitment to online strikes again.

Just focus on improving your time attack times and you will have no trouble starring and triple-starring the GP cups. Blue shells are always annoying, but overwhelmingly single player results are merit based. I triple star 95% of the time when I play single player on 150cc.

maybe i do need to practice more time attack, however, just the other day i was in 1st, had a comfortable lead, get hit by a blue, which also happens to knock me off the track, i get back on track, get hit by a red immediately, get knocked off track etc. you get the picture :( but we all our share of bad luck i suppose...

Ok, so after doing some more online, i noticed one thing very often now, pretty much whenever i shoot a red shell at some guy in front of me he manages to "evade" it like taking corners, turning wildly, until the shell vanishes.

The other day someone was just CONSTANTLY FASTER than my red shell, meaning it never caught up with him, he had no Star or mushroom which are limited in time anyway, but simply drover faster WTF??

Are these cheaters or what's the secret to constantly dodging red shells, essentially making them useless for other players to use?

ffdgh

Ok, so after doing some more online, i noticed one thing very often now, pretty much whenever i shoot a red shell at some guy in front of me he manages to "evade" it like taking corners, turning wildly, until the shell vanishes.

The other day someone was just CONSTANTLY FASTER than my red shell, meaning it never caught up with him, he had no Star or mushroom which are limited in time anyway, but simply drover faster WTF??

Are these cheaters or what's the secret to constantly dodging red shells, essentially making them useless for other players to use?

Lag :p. And it helps to have plenty of coins.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I was sent a new router from my ISP. I should see if MK7 is more stable with it. I mean the WiiU connected to it which is apparently a small miracle.

Nah coins increase your overall speed. having 10 makes a big difference.

Oh so when you have 10 coins a red shell CANNOT possibly catch you confirmed then or is that just a hunch?

This guy here, the red shell had NO way of catching up, he was driving in a straight line at the exact same speed as the shell until it disappeared :(

Lag? Not sure, so far i haven't noticed any, how DO you notice it anyway in this game? No characters skipping or anything like that, it all seems super smooth except for these red shell troubles which i am not sure are related to lag at all.

So there is no known cheating in MK7 then?

ffdgh

Nah there are no cheaters as of now.

and no I'm not saying coins are related to avoiding red shells, I'm just saying they make you overall faster if you have one or more. The only thing i can assume if if they had an item, made it hit a stage hazard....or lag

Lag is rare but it happens and you'll know when it does.

Tom_Cody

Oh so when you have 10 coins a red shell CANNOT possibly catch you confirmed then or is that just a hunch?

This guy here, the red shell had NO way of catching up, he was driving in a straight line at the exact same speed as the shell until it disappeared :(

Lag? Not sure, so far i haven't noticed any, how DO you notice it anyway in this game? No characters skipping or anything like that, it all seems super smooth except for these red shell troubles which i am not sure are related to lag at all.

So there is no known cheating in MK7 then?

Nah there are no cheaters as of now.

and no I'm not saying coins are related to avoiding red shells, I'm just saying they make you overall faster if you have one or more. The only thing i can assume if if they had an item, made it hit a stage hazard....or lag

Lag is rare but it happens and you'll know when it does.
Just want to weigh in here.

AFAIK there are no onlinr cheaters.

I have put quite a bit of time into online and I will say that lag does come up from time to time which would explain Winnie's comment about the guy who was jerking around the track. I have had times that I've hit a guy in front of me with a green shell dead on, it appears as if nothing has happened, and then a beat later the kart will be tumbling as if it had been hit when it was supposed to have been.

Regarding coins and red shells, if you are in a high-topspeed kart and you have 10 coins you can stay ahead of red shells to some extent. This occurs to some degree whenever I have a red shell on my tail and no blocking item. You hear that noise of an approaching red shell and you're suddenly on a dash to get to an item block in time. You can't fully outrun them, but you have some wiggle room to resolve the situation.

Ok just to get back to one of my previous questions:

I have never used Streetpass, but am about to see one of my friends later on who will bring his 3DS with MK, just HOW can we transfer our data? Is it enough to have them both on sleep mode and they will somehow "automatically" transfer time trial data etc?

Or is this a sort of "manual" transfer that we need to do? Do we need WiFi nearby?

Tom_Cody

Ok just to get back to one of my previous questions:

I have never used Streetpass, but am about to see one of my friends later on who will bring his 3DS with MK, just HOW can we transfer our data? Is it enough to have them both on sleep mode and they will somehow "automatically" transfer time trial data etc?

Or is this a sort of "manual" transfer that we need to do? Do we need WiFi nearby?
Yes, just have them on sleep mode (meaning shut lids) and Street Pass will occur automatically. If you've never used street pass at all you might to do some sort of initial set up within the 3DS options (I have been using Street Pass since I first bought the system so I do not remember this part).

When the tag occurs, a green light will illuminate on the hinge (at the same location as the blue spot pass light). From there just go into the game and click on the Mario Kart channel button on the bottom of the main menu and the street pass data will load into the game card from the system where it will be permanently stored.

Thanks!

I read just now that apparently you can only have ONE single ghost from a friend at one time, WTF is up with that if true? I assumed i could have EVERY single Ghost of my friend's time trials in my 3DS to race at my leisure :(((((

Tom_Cody

Thanks!

I read just now that apparently you can only have ONE single ghost from a friend at one time, WTF is up with that if true? I assumed i could have EVERY single Ghost of my friend's time trials in my 3DS to race at my leisure :(((((
Hmm. I have no idea about that. I have only done street pass with random people so I have never paid close attention to it. I can't even imagine how the -one- ghost thing would work. I had just assumed that the street pass ghosts would collect along with the spot pass ghosts. In Mario 3D land, the times for all the track automatically load in with one street pass tag. Then again, I guess ghost require a lot more data than stand alone times.

Tom_Cody

God, the top two rewards are so difficult to obtain. I have been playing this nonstop for two and a half months and I'm only at ~3,700 VR points and ~4,500 coins. To certain extent I'm frustrated, but more than that I think it's pretty cool that Nintendo included these top tier awards that only the most dedicated of players will obtain. This is the first I can remember attempting to 100% a Nintendo game (especially a MK) and not being able to.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'm at 9000~ coins, but I have the second top reward from the streetpass count. If I play it slowly I'll eventually get the 10000 coins needed for the top reward. Or perhaps I should just try the VR route.

Tom_Cody

I'm at 9000~ coins, but I have the second top reward from the streetpass count. If I play it slowly I'll eventually get the 10000 coins needed for the top reward. Or perhaps I should just try the VR route.
That's the thing. It's not like I'm intentionally grinding to get the rewards, I'm just playing the game a lot every day and I still haven't reached the halfway points to the rewards. The thresholds they set are almost unbelievably high for a Nintendo game.

I think I have ~55 street pass tags. I might actually cross that barrier before I reach 10,000 coins.

Mr. Fix

I can finally post in here! Lovin' the game. I have a couple questions though:

- Am I able to play in a custom grand prix with random players?
- Can a friend and I (on wifi) play with random people
- Has Nintendo stated that they had no plans to support this with DLC?
- I downloaded a patch (1.01) but I think the most recent one is newer than that. How is it that I'm able to play online still?

I'd really like to see Waluigi, stages, and maybe even bikes.

ffdgh

I can finally post in here! Lovin' the game. I have a couple questions though:

- Am I able to play in a custom grand prix with random players?
- Can a friend and I (on wifi) play with random people
- Has Nintendo stated that they had no plans to support this with DLC?
- I downloaded a patch (1.01) but I think the most recent one is newer than that. How is it that I'm able to play online still?

I'd really like to see Waluigi, stages, and maybe even bikes.

As in four preselected courses online? no. As in certain items and 50-150/mirror? yeah if you can somehow find a community that's still active on wifi.

yes

no

there isn't one new than that.

FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS GOOD NEVER LET THERE BE ANYTHING AS UNBALANCED AS FUNKY BIKE WII + DAISY EVER AGAIN /rant

Why the hell does the fucking leader shell land on me when I am very clearly not in first? Happened last night when I was in 5th, and just now when I was in a distant second.

ffdgh

if first has already pass the finish line it goes for second place. If 2nd has already passed the finish line it goes for 3rd and so on.

Tom_Cody

Why the hell does the fucking leader shell land on me when I am very clearly not in first? Happened last night when I was in 5th, and just now when I was in a distant second.
It can also hit you if you were in first and then drop back before it reaches you.

Sleepy

How does the game register collected coins? The amount you hold at the end of the stage, or each one you collect during the race? No matter if you lose some during?

Wiz

How does the game register collected coins? The amount you hold at the end of the stage, or each one you collect during the race? No matter if you lose some during?

The amount you have at the end of the race. So in a regular grand prix the most coins you can collect is 40.

Sleepy

2015-9776-2493

I have three starred all 50cc races and am getting my ass handed to me in 100cc. How to win 150cc? Clueless.

ffdgh

2015-9776-2493

I have three starred all 50cc races and am getting my ass handed to me in 100cc. How to win 150cc? Clueless.

Simplest way is to use any kart combination that give 3.75-4.50 or more accell or if you're using a light weight (peach daisy yoshi) or feather weight(koopa toad 2 others) 4.75 or more accell and plenty of collect plenty of coins to compensate for the lack of speed.

Top Bottom