• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 7 |OT| Rosalina is Fat, BBW Lovers Unite!

Sleepy

Interesting, so accell > speed? Thanks for the info. I'm going to clear the 100cc courses first, though.

Played a few games online last night---awesome stuff. How do VR points work?

Tom_Cody

2015-9776-2493

I have three starred all 50cc races and am getting my ass handed to me in 100cc. How to win 150cc? Clueless.
Time attack Time attack Time attack.

Observe and replicate the lines driven by very fast drivers and try to move up in the ranks. When I got to the point of being able to consistently ✭✭✭ Mirror, my time attack times were ~10 seconds off from the world best times (or roughly 3/4 across the screen on the time chart).

This game is a lot more nuanced than it might seem. There are multiple ways to take every jump, underwater section, short-cut, etc. I have been playing for a few weeks (and completed 95% of the game) before I really started to fully grasp the flight, trick, and underwater mechanics.

Simplest way is to use any kart combination that give 3.75-4.50 or more accell or if you're using a light weight (peach daisy yoshi) or feather weight(koopa toad 2 others) 4.75 or more accell and plenty of collect plenty of coins to compensate for the lack of speed.
If only it were that simple, lol.

More than in any other Mario Kart, there are numerous acceptable options. If you look at the various ghost times in time attack you will see that, even at the very highest levels, people use a variety of kart types. Also, some karts have very definite advantages/disadvantages on different stages.

At this point I think ffdgh's advice is perfect for you. Go with low weight, high handling, high acceleration. As you continue to play you will almost certainly move to different types of karts. I currently go for high top speed and medium handling (basically ignoring the other stats).

Also, the coin total does not effect your star score directly, though it is still good go after coins to increase your top speed. Also, if you are collecting coins, that means that you are generally following a good racing line. From my experience, the star score overwhelmningly has to do with finish time and GP score total (I don't think I've ever gotten a ✭✭✭ without 40 points). Some other factors like time spent in first place might factor in as well.

ffdgh

Heh I know it not that simple when it comes to online....Metal mario with red monster and bdasher is everywhere online after 40k vr
KuGsj.gif

Anywho for a speed difference example for fun. The slowest combo in the game (toad+birthday girl+ roller = 1.75 speed) with 10 coins is slightly faster than the fastest combo that has zero coins( bowser + bdasher + Gold/slick = 5.50 speed) so get them coins :p.

Tom_Cody

Heh I know it not that simple when it comes to online....Metal mario with red monster and bdasher is everywhere online after 40k vr
KuGsj.gif

Anywho for a speed difference example for fun. The slowest combo in the game (toad+birthday girl+ roller = 2.75 speed) with 10 coins is slightly faster than the fastest combo that has zero coins( bowser + bdasher + Gold/slick = 5.50 speed) so get them coins :p.
Wow, I didn't know that. That's really interesting. I tend to collect coins anyway but didn't know the difference was so dramatic.

Tom_Cody

Wow. Thanks for this. I just started doing the jump speed boast yesterday-- helps.
np

This might not be immediately apparent, but the boost/jump you get off a ramp depends on when you press the R button. If you press R early you get a short hop followed by a boost and if you press R the instant you leave the ramp you can get a very large leap. At first this just seemed random to me and it took me a while to get a hang of the timing. This can have major consequences on courses like Rainbow Road and Mario Circuit.

Yuripaw

Banned
Are the Gaf communities for this game completely dead? =/ I added the first community, but there wasn't any players even in the group from what I saw, and the mirror match all items community didn't even exist anymore.

Just bought this game on the eshop, and so I'll be looking to pop in a game every now and then, but I guess I'm a little late to the party.

BowieZ

Banned
Well I kinda gave up on playing online late last year due to the two Wuhu cheats, but in reality, after playing 200+ hours, I had had enough of MK7 for a while... may get back into it soon.

Tom_Cody

I just passed 4200 VR this morning. The random match making in this is amazing. The other players always seem to be within 1000 VR points of me which results in a pack that is always extremely close together. I had one race this morning where I went from first to seventh (which was last place) after one blue shell. I was then able to fight back to first by the end.

One major pet peeve of online play: people who choose the same track over and over again. In a usual session I try to get to the next 100 VR point milestone and this morning I ended up playing Neo Bowser City 3 times in that sit-down, each time chosen by the same player. I actually like Neo Bowser City but this can be terrible if this happens with one of the stinkers (Daisy Cruiser is just torture to me). How could anyone want to play the same course multiple times like that?! I always pick a new course if my selection is chosen.

Well I kinda gave up on playing online late last year due to the two Wuhu cheats, but in reality, after playing 200+ hours, I had had enough of MK7 for a while... may get back into it soon.
I've only been playing since the end of September, but I'm pretty sure all cheats were removed by the patch.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Are the Gaf communities for this game completely dead? =/ I added the first community, but there wasn't any players even in the group from what I saw, and the mirror match all items community didn't even exist anymore.

Just bought this game on the eshop, and so I'll be looking to pop in a game every now and then, but I guess I'm a little late to the party.

Haha, yeah no one does the Community thing anymore. I haven't played it seriously since I picked up Kid Icarus but i've been trying to change that lately.

So if you or any others posters are interested in playing with other gaffers, my friend code is in the list at the bottom of the first post. Just shoot me a pm if you decide to add me.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Is there really any point to completing the 50cc or 100cc Cups? I mean they're pretty easy and I win them with not much challenge. Will I unlock all the same content if I just spent my time racing in 150cc?

Robin64

Is there really any point to completing the 50cc or 100cc Cups? I mean they're pretty easy and I win them with not much challenge. Will I unlock all the same content if I just spent my time racing in 150cc?

The usual new title screen plus if you want stars next to your name online you'll need them from every cup. It's boring, I agree, but you get coins at least.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Ok okay, and why do I want coins again? To unlock car parts? Is there a real advantage with certain car parts, or is it mostly aesthetic?

Tom_Cody

Why do I want to triple star them?
I guess I am sufficiently a completist that it never crossed my mind to not beat them. This sort of becomes an impossible question. Why do anything in a videogame? Also, right when I started out with the game, it wasn't a given that I would triple star every circuit (especially when it was the first time playing those tracks). Going through those CC levels served as a good introduction to the game.

As far as actual rewards in the game:

-Achieving one, two, or three stars on all circuits on all CC levels will result in one, two, or three stars respectively on your save file and next to your name online.

-Finishing in first in all circuits on all CC levels is necessary to see the full ending. Once you are presented with the full ending you will have a new title screen.

-One unlockable part is linked to achieving at least one star on all circuits on all CC levels.
Golden Wheels

Again, it never even crossed my mind to skip those CC levels but some people do. It is always amazing to me when I run into people online with 5000-10,000 VR points who don't have three stars.

Tom_Cody

Ok okay, and why do I want coins again? To unlock car parts? Is there a real advantage with certain car parts, or is it mostly aesthetic?
Some of the parts are basically identical in performance (and thus are only aesthetically different) but in their totality the range of parts offer a huge amount of variety of play options. Different configurations will result in totally different play styles and potentially different optimal racing lines through levels.

That said, you accumulate coins whenever you play the game so you will unlock all the parts (or at least the ones linked to coins) eventually even if you entirely skip 50 CC and 100 CC.

Prinny

Open lobby 150cc All Items!

Goooooooooooooooossssssssssspppppppppppeeeeeeeeeeeeeel!

I haven't played for a very long time, I don't even remember if it's R or L to drift >.>

Damn you Sonic Racing!

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
AqYugzE.gif

Open lobby 150cc All Items!

Goooooooooooooooossssssssssspppppppppppeeeeeeeeeeeeeel!

I haven't played for a very long time, I don't even remember if it's R or L to drift >.>

Damn you Sonic Racing!

It's B to drift, you gotta hold down B! No, i'm not lying!

Edit: Hope my connection isn't too bad!

Prinny

Not yet :/ and i've heard great things about it too. Is the online scene on the Wii U version still populated?
I don't know about ''worldwide'' mode but the thread is dead-ish like this one :(

It was alive a few weeks ago when Medley and Greg were playing though.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
I don't know about ''worldwide'' mode but the thread is dead-ish like this one :(

It was alive a few weeks ago when Medley and Greg when playing though.

Maan that's a shame. Didn't know you guys migrated over to that. Would love to play more racers with gaf :/

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Great games man! Hopefully this isn't the only time we can get a room of people in the gaf community again!

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
I wish i could honk at will in this game. You and that tanooki tail were holding up traffic on the first race.

edit: lol, that was too much for me. perfect way to end the last lap

Tom_Cody

Recently I have been gotten back into time attack. Each track has two staff ghosts. The slow ones are absurd. I beat all of them on my first clean attempts at the tracks. The fast ones are a pretty good challenge. I only have 5 left of the 32 tracks. I think I am going to switch back to playing online for the near future and then eventually pivot back into time attack to finish the final 5.

I am repeating myself, but I love love the inclusion of spot pass ghosts. Being able to select 3 ghosts that are faster than your best time but within reach is definitely one of my favorite features in this game. It is such an effective training mode. I wish every game had this feature. Hell, I wish everything in life had this feature.

Top Bottom