• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 7 Review Thread: First Reviews In

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Have they talked about putting this on Wii?
That's funny you say that, when I bought Tales of the Abyss yesterday they had a TV screen showing a promotional Mario Kart 7 trailer. It looked surprisingly good on the big screen and 2 kids there were wondering if it was a new Mario kart on Wii.

Regarding your question, won't happen. Mario Kart is the biggest system seller one console can get, and 3DS is far more strategic to Nintendo than Wii is now.

Bumhead

Banned
Mario Kart is Mario Kart. Unless reviews highlight anything hugely wrong with the game then it's a safe bet, I think.

I bought a launch model 3DS then sold it a few months ago. Right now, I regret that decision hugely. Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 are seriously pulling me back in. May well grab that lovely Ice White + MK7 bundle next Friday.

Truth101

Banned
Ah, people mocked me before when I said the coins would be used to boost speed. Way back when the game was just revealed.

Muahaha I feel vindicated.

I can't believe that next Sunday all of GAF will be busy playing Mario Kart together, shall be glorious.

m.i.s.

Banned
Can't wait for the Edge magazine review.

Hint: Edge don't like modern "Party racers" that Mario Kart has become. They've sung high praises for the original SNES title and the GBA version.

Brace yourselves for a - potential - meltdown!!!

:eek:)

Ah, people mocked me before when I said the coins would be used to boost speed. Way back when the game was just revealed.

Muahaha I feel vindicated.

I can't believe that next Sunday all of GAF will be busy playing Mario Kart together, shall be glorious.

I'm just baffled by those telling people it won't, I mean it should have been obvious. I suppose I could understand if they played an early demo and it had no effect.

-MB-

Hint: Edge don't like modern "Party racers" that Mario Kart has become. They've sung high praises for the original SNES title and the GBA version.

There is not going to be any meltdowns. Most people already come to expect low grades for MKs. It has been getting them ever since the N64 one.

Bumhead

Banned
Quick question, does Mario Kart let you have more than one save file?

The wife loves Nintendo games but isn't interested in having her own system, so she just uses mine (figures). Only having one save slot for stuff like Pokemon has been a great annoyance in the past.

It would be great if we could both have separate files on the same cart.

Truth101

Banned
Quick question, does Mario Kart let you have more than one save file?

The wife loves Nintendo games but isn't interested in having her own system, so she just uses mine (figures). Only having one save slot for stuff like Pokemon has been a great annoyance in the past.

It would be great if we could both have separate files on the same cart.

The Wii one had profiles linked with a Mii, but I don't about about this one.

Shit, what the hell is this Nintendo?

"Recently played" lists with quick join options?! A working online list? My head!

Just created a small NeoGAF Community. 150cc, All items.
11-7467-3555-5438 is the code you have to punch in!

Jethro

Why? It adds variability into a match and the courses people will take.

I just don't like it. Neither in Super Mario Kart nor in Super Circuit. I don't want to concentrate on other things besides racing. And loosing coins when you are getting hit, (quite normal in Mario Kart especially on 150cc or against other players) making this feature quite obsolete.

BowieZ

Banned
I dislike different regions having differently named tracks. Why does Music Park have to be Melody Motorway? As if Europeans don't know what a mountainous [DK] "Summit" is. etc...

Well if the items are finally balanced again then I'm on board as soon as I invest in a 3DS. This game's hitting all the right notes for me, bizzare roster aside (which makes far more sense now hearing about how the game was rushed for a late 2011 release).

How did they remove it; by balancing or removing the drift boost?

I haven't followed the development of this game, but the drift boost, sans snaking, separated the wheat from the chaff as far as I'm concerned. :(

drift boost is now done by slide lengh I think and time duration.

Truth101

Banned

"Recently played" lists with quick join options?! A working online list? My head!

You have it already? Review copy?

Maybe later you could create an official MK community thread, or have the codes in the OP in the official thread.

It'd be nice to have a few (like 3-5) "official" communities with different rule sets like all items or no blue shells, etc.

m.i.s.

Banned
Have they talked about putting this on Wii?

Why would they do that?

Nintendo are counting on people buying a 3DS to play this game. If it was on Wii, they'd lose one of their biggest potential titles to compel people on to the 3DS platform.

WillyFive

Why would they do that?

Nintendo are counting on people buying a 3DS to play this game. If it was on Wii, they'd lose one of their biggest potential titles to compel people on to the 3DS platform.

Besides, the Wii already has a Mario Kart. Why would they start having more than one per system?

I might get a lot of backlash for this, but I really really want them to release DLC cups for this. The game has endless potential and since it's the first game to arrive on a plattform that supports DLC I would probably spend an unholy amount of money if they would pack more classic courses into DLC.

Blockfort, Delfino Plaza, Wario Stadium... maybe even some new courses for good measure.

Ezalc

I might get a lot of backlash for this, but I really really want them to release DLC cups for this. The game has endless potential and since it's the first game to arrive on a plattform that supports DLC I would probably spend an unholy amount of money if they would pack more classic courses into DLC.

Blockfort, Delfino Plaza, Wario Stadium... maybe even some new courses for good measure.

Rainbow Cup. Believe.

Salih

If that is true and EDGE actually gives this game a 9/10 i will buy it 100%.

You have it already? Review copy?

Yes.

Maybe later you could create an official MK community thread, or have the codes in the OP in the official thread.

It'd be nice to have a few (like 3-5) "official" communities with different rule sets like all items or no blue shells, etc.

I'll see if I can't make one tomorrow!

Wingless ?

so ..same as before but on the ground ?
Does his means that you can avoid it , now ?

EDIT : nevermind i just saw a vid with the blue spike, and it looks just like before except without the explosion

It can hit people on its way to the front, and there is still an explosion. It's somewhat less frequent than before, but you could still be fucked 0.1 seconds from the finish line.

Blimey. That is ridiculous.

It's absolutely bonkers! If you want to use an item of your choice you have to time it so it's the front item. It's pretty awesome!

I hope they don't do too much DLC.

Mind you, stick in a few new racers and a couple of tight new tracks, and I wouldn't say no.

My wallet's already aching.

FoxHimself said:
It's absolutely bonkers! If you want to use an item of your choice you have to time it so it's the front item. It's pretty awesome!

Can other players run into your spinning items?
Would be so awesome if others can time it right and steal your star.

Truth101

Banned
Anything you guys want me to check out by the way?

1. What exactly can you customize in the Community?

2. How many hidden characters are there?

3. How is the online play, seamless, laggy?

4. Tell us everything about the online features.

Umm.... I shall think of more.

Is there anything that is still under NDA?

Chopper

Anything you guys want me to check out by the way?

How's the drifting? Is it a hop? How many boost tiers are there, just two? Are they red and blue again?

Also, are all the characters that have been announced available from the start? If so, I am holding out hope for more unlockable characters!

Top Bottom