• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 7 Review Thread: First Reviews In

I hope they don't do too much DLC.

Mind you, stick in a few new racers and a couple of tight new tracks, and I wouldn't say no.

My wallet's already aching.

They could release new Cups every half year or so. Given that MK7 is probably going to be the go to online game for 3DS (and finally thanks to communities, it's also hacker free) I'd say that a Cup or two every 6 months could increase the longevity of this game tremendously. Not that it's needed in any way, given that I still play the Wii and N64 game.

But more courses are allways better.

1. What exactly can you customize in the Community?

2. How many hidden characters are there?

3. How is the online play, seamless, laggy?

4. Tell us everything about the online features.

Umm.... I shall think of more.

Is there anything that is still under NDA?

1: You can set a logo (pre made ones only), enter a name and description, choose between racing (50, 100, 150CC or Mirror) or the two battle modes and which items are available when racing (All, Shells, Bananas, Mushrooms, Bob-Ombs, None).

The communities are really more like rooms.

You join a community pre race lobby and can send out pre fabricated messages like the types of "OK!" or "LET'S RACE!". Noone is in charge of the community/room it seems, and I'm guessing the first one to join an empty one is made the operator (handing it down to the next one when he/she leaves).

Avatars are the peoples Miis, but you can race with the Mario gang. When you find people online it looks pretty much like on the Wii, with the globe and everything.

2: I think there are four. At least that's how many "?" boxes are beneath the characters (I've unlocked one).

3: Online gameplay is perfect thus far.

4: You have a friends list lifted from the 3DS one, and one with "Recent opponents". Not sure how many will be able to populate that list, but you can quickly jump into an existing session with any of them.

You can create as many communities as you like, but you have to play at least one round of the game before you can make one.

How's the drifting? Is it a hop? How many boost tiers are there, just two? Are they red and blue again?

Also, are all the characters that have been announced available from the start? If so, I am holding out hope for more unlockable characters!

The drifting feels good, but it's not like the old MKs.

There is a hop! And if you hop just as you drive off a ramp it'll give you a small boost when you land (like shaking the Wiimote in Mario Kart Wii).

Two boost tiers, red and blue! Blue is a small boost, red a bigger one. Driving behind other vehicles for a while makes you boost as well, like usual.

I'm not sure which characters have been announced... But I've unlocked
Shy Guy, and I've seen a Mii race around online

Amir0x

Banned
1: You can set a logo and which items are available when racing (All, Shells, Bananas, Mushrooms, Bob-Ombs, None).

Whoa, wait. Does this mean I have to select an option that ONLY allows 'shells', for example, but cannot individually remove blue shells if I like?

If so, skipping again.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I have a 3ds and heard there is an awesome 3d video on the e shop showcasing mariokart. I can't find it :(

beril

holy shit

was not hyped

now I am the hype

Is it just me or are Mario games starting to develop a reverse-sonic cycle

Mario Galaxy 2: Meh, lazy expansion => GOTY
Mario Kart Wii: Looks worse than DD + stupid waggle => best game in the series
New Super Mario Bros Wii: Lol, DS port => Grand return of 2D gaming
Mario 3D Land: Looks slow and dumbed down => Best Mario game EVER
Mario Kart 7 => Lazy upgrade, crappy visuals => ???

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Is it just me or are Mario games starting to develop a reverse-sonic cycle

Mario Galaxy 2: Meh, lazy expansion => GOTY
Mario Kart Wii: Looks worse than DD + stupid waggle => best game in the series
New Super Mario Bros Wii: Lol, DS port => Grand return of 2D gaming
Mario 3D Land: Looks slow and dumbed down => Best Mario game EVER
Mario Kart 7 => Lazy upgrade, crappy visuals => ???

And Sonic is even obtaining to deconstructing the cycle indeed, with last games. Crazy times, indeed.

Chopper

The drifting feels good, but it's not like the old MKs.

There is a hop! And if you hop just as you drive off a ramp it'll give you a small boost when you land (like shaking the Wiimote in Mario Kart Wii).

Two boost tiers, red and blue! Blue is a small boost, red a bigger one. Driving behind other vehicles for a while makes you boost as well, like usual.

I'm not sure which characters have been announced... But I've unlocked
Shy Guy, and I've seen a Mii race around online
How so? Do you hold your drift in place, like the Wii version, or do left-right-left-right like DD?

So, are there seventeen character slots? Who is available from the start?

I'm pretty sure blue shells were mostly hated because they only attacked the lead car. With the new (old) blue shell, it will attack every character, so it won't be as cheap.

On a different note, I hope you get to hear the Lightning Bolt jingle when you get hit with it. I miss that little tune... :(

Boken

Banned
Whoa, wait. Does this mean I have to select an option that ONLY allows 'shells', for example, but cannot individually remove blue shells if I like?

If so, skipping again.

"I am angry that I get some options but not everything I want!!!"

Truth101

Banned
"I sit down and accept shit that wouldn't be allowed by even the worst shovelware dev because I play companies instead of games!"

The way I see it is there is always room for improvement and no matter how much improvement is put into something there will be even more room for complaints. Yes, the customization options for community could have been more, but even then I bet you or others would find something else to complain about in regards to it.

Amir0x

Banned
"I use ridiculous hyperbole to express unproportionate dissapointment and belittle everyone who thinks different than me."

"I can't spell disproportionate and believe pointed criticism of games is a personal insult against me."

Truth101 said:
The way I see it is there is always room for improvement and no matter how much improvement is put into something there will be even more room for complaints. Yes, the customization options for community could have been more, but even then I bet you or others would find something else to complain about in regards to it.

Of course. But there is room for improvement and there is fucking room for improvement. Nintendo has an idea here that they should have had since a decade ago, and they STILL can't get it right. Why they are allowed to get away with it but no one else can is something I'll never understand. But that's the thing with idolizing a company over a game, it allows some people to ignore huge problems.

How so? Do you hold your drift in place, like the Wii version, or do left-right-left-right like DD?

So, are there seventeen character slots? Who is available from the start?

You hop/hold to drift, no left-righting here. Short drift = Blue sparks. Longer drift = Red sparks.

Eight character slots from the start: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Yoshi, Toad, KoopaTroopa, DK.

Truth101

Banned
"I can't spell disproportionate and believe pointed criticism of games is a personal insult against me."

Of course. But there is room for improvement and there is fucking room for improvement. Nintendo has an idea here that they should have had since a decade ago, and they STILL can't get it right. Why they are allowed to get away with it but no one else can is something I'll never understand. But that's the thing with idolizing a company over a game, it allows some people to ignore huge problems.

I here this argument in relation to almost every developer that GAF has a hot-spot for, it isn't exclusive to Nintendo. I also don't see anyone idolizing Nintendo in this thread, if they are be so kind to point them out.

Grakl

Because it's not a huge problem and the rest of the game (I assume) is quite excellent, at least to other people, even if you consider it gamebreaking. I'd rather not have the blue shell, but it doesn't make me dislike the game whatsoever (nor any other previous incarnation of Mario Kart).

Oh, and you're talking about the online portion - hell, MKDS for me was fine, and 3DS looks better. An opinion is an opinion after all, and (with some exceptions) I think it should be judged on what it has, and how well the features have been implemented, as opposed to what it lacks.

Amir0x

Banned
I here this argument in relation to almost every developer that gave has a hot-spot for, it isn't exclusive to Nintendo. I also don't see anyone idolizing Nintendo in this thread, if they are be so kind to point them out.

I am positive there are exceptions, because there ALWAYS are, but I can think of few other modern companies that can continually get away with consistently horrendous online implementation, missing the vast bulk of possible customization options in an online mode and then people say 'well it's ok, we forgive them, 9.8!' I really can't. Almost all racing games today are immensely customizable and have a huge array of infinitely superior online functionality.

Truth101

Banned
I am positive there are exceptions, because there ALWAYS are, but I can think of few other modern companies that can continually get away with consistently horrendous online implementation, missing the vast bulk of possible customization options in an online mode and then people say 'well it's ok, we forgive them, 9.8!' I really can't. Almost all racing games today are immensely customizable and have a huge array of infinitely superior online functionality.

I don't see it getting a 9.8 anywhere, and like I said there is always room for improvement. I'm satisfied with just the implementation of the communities, as it offers something you won't find anywhere else really. You aren't and that is fine.

"I belittle non native speakers for spelling mistakes to strengthen the caricature that my posts have become."

Seriously, if you were less of a drama queen, people would probably not react the way they do to your posts.

The lack of full customization is dissapointing, I'm not denying that. But instead of expressing your criticism in a way that isn't full of overblown hyperbole and drama, you resort to just dismiss everyone else as unworthy of your time and overblown ego. Your pathethic way of arguing in black and white, right and wrong, the overwhelming use of absolutes makes you come off like some ridiculous caricature character instead of a person that has something valid to say.

@ topic.
Can someone explain communities better. So far I think they are like private rooms with set rules that can be protected by passwords. How are they handled? Are they saved locally or do you have to recreate them everytime you go offline? Or are they handled by Nintendos servers and they remain online for everyone that has the password to join, even if the founder isn't online?

Hero

If you can't turn off individual ? box items that is pretty crappy considering it's not hard to implement program or UI wise.

Boken

Banned

No game can be perfect and people make concessions for every company, every game. Nintendo games may have shitty online implementations but they excel in other ways that other games cannot. Yet you don't cry "no sale" to the games that are inferior in other respects? Why is basic customisation more valuable than spit and polish to you?

Heres a recent example for ya,
Bethesda - what other company can get away with shitty combat, desktop crashing and item/quest bugs galore and horrible UI implementation and get 94% MC? Wooo.

Of course it'd be a better game with more options but you need to calm down cowboy, no game is perfect. Play mushroom only mode. The man's mode.

Truth101

Banned
"I belittle non native speakers for spelling mistakes to strengthen the caricature that my posts have become."

Seriously, if you were less of a drama queen, people would probably not react the way they do to your posts.

The lack of full customization is dissapointing, I'm not denying that. But instead of expressing your criticism in a way that isn't full of overblown hyperbole and drama, you resort to just dismiss everyone else as unworthy of your time and overblown ego. Your pathethic way of arguing in black and white, right and wrong, the overwhelming use of absolutes makes you come off like some ridiculous caricature character instead of a person that has something valid to say.

@ topic.
Can someone explain communities better. So far I think they are like private rooms with set rules that can be protected by passwords. How are they handled? Are they saved locally or do you have to recreate them everytime you go offline? Or are they handled by Nintendos servers and they remain online for everyone that has the password to join, even if the founder isn't online?

I'm pretty sure they are hosted or stored with Nintendo.

Amir0x

Banned

Maybe I should forgive your spelling for being a non-native speaker, but I won't forgive your comically short term memory for once again trying to pollute the reality of this discussion because you are incapable of separating the person from the points.

It wasn't me who started saying anything about people - it was Boken full on implying I was whining (with absolutely no elaboration of his own, which is a theme with you people - you hate having to actually go out of your way to describe their problems. It's too much work for some. And they always complain about those who elaborate at length) because I was complaining about a feature that SHOULD be there. Until then, it was just about the game. If you want a discussion to be sound, you make it sound. When you lead it astray and start aiming at a person instead of the points being raised, you're going to get it back in kind. It's fire for the furnace. If you didn't want the heat, you should have stayed out of the kitchen. But now you want to complain about it? Tough fucking shit.

Regarding the game, nobody is a drama queen.

This type of shit would not be accepted in any other modern racer, kart or otherwise. Almost all racing games today feature a vast array of customizable online modes, able to be tweaked to the tiniest detail. I didn't even expect THAT of Nintendo, and they still managed to scratch the most bareboned implementation possible and still fucked THAT up. If you think that's being a drama queen, then yes I believe it's company worship.

No game can be perfect and people make concessions for every company, every game. Nintendo games may have shitty online implementations but they excel in other ways that other games cannot. Yet you don't cry "no sale" to the games that are inferior in other respects? Why is basic customisation more valuable than spit and polish to you?

Heres a recent example for ya,
Bethesda - what other company can get away with shitty combat, desktop crashing and item/quest bugs galore and horrible UI implementation and get 94% MC? Wooo.

Of course it'd be a better game with more options but you need to calm down cowboy, no game is perfect. Play mushroom only mode. The man's mode.

No game can be perfect, yes, but I'm not expecting perfection. I am expecting simple parity with the barebones we should expect from online racers these days. That's the problem here... you guys think this is complaining about a little ignorable thing or something. This is complaining about something even shovelware devs do, but somehow Nintendo can't. You think this isn't related to "spit and polish", when it is IMMEASURABLY so.

Also, you obviously don't know me. I cry "no sale" to a vast array of titles which fail to meet basic standard requirements. We may disagree about what those are, but no one can say I let shit slide.

Mike M

Nick N

Alright, I need the blue Shelly's behavior explained to me. It looks like the N64 version, and supposedly runs along the ground and hits other opponents on the way to first place, but in this video at 1:20 it circles around Toad's head before dive bombing him and exploding, just like the shitty winged version. Does it just hop up at the end of it's run?

Also, disappointed that item customization is limited to communities, and double disappointed those customizations are so ridiculously limited. I love MK, but it's infuriating that Nintendo steadfastly insists on fucking up the options with every iteration. Still can't wrap my mind around MKWii's battle mode being team only... WTF...

Oh ok, that would make more sense. Is there a possibility to browse those rooms, or is that only doable for unprotected rooms?

So far it sounds like communities are some form of persistent private lobbies... which would be great.

That's exactly what they are. No browsing though, other than "recommended" rooms.

FoxHimself, Eurogamer hated the underwater racing, do you???

And how is gliding???

Cool or not a big deal?????

Gliding is cool, underwater is ...well, it's there. Not much to say about it. It feels kind of like the usual driving, so I guess it's okay. It's not a big part of the racing really.

Also, disappointed that item customization is limited to communities, and double disappointed those customizations are so ridiculously limited. I love MK, but it's infuriating that Nintendo steadfastly insists on fucking up the options with every iteration. Still can't wrap my mind around MKWii's battle mode being team only... WTF...

Children play this game. Children of all ages. They want the customization to be easy to digest for everyone. Limited to you but easy to understand for those much younger.

I'd love to have seen the expression of some 7 year old going online in Mario Kart DS and being matched up with 3 snaking pro extreme racers. I think Nintendo just wants to avoid elitism and competitive personalities dominating their online games. If communities were like your average PC FPS private server you'd just have a bunch of Fox only, Final Destination elitist assholes everywhere.

Truth101

Banned
That's exactly what they are. No browsing though, other than "recommended" rooms.

Gliding is cool, underwater is ...well, it's there. Not much to say about it. It feels kind of like the usual driving, so I guess it's okay. It's not a big part of the racing really.

Recommended rooms are going to be the Nintendo created rooms right? Do you need a code to join those too? Or will you automatically be able to join in?

Amir0x

Banned
Children play this game. Children of all ages. They want the customization to be easy to digest for everyone. Limited to you but easy to understand for those much younger.

I'd love to have seen the expression of some 7 year old going online in Mario Kart DS and being matched up with 3 snaking pro extreme racers. I think Nintendo just wants to avoid elitism and competitive personalities dominating their online games. If communities were like your average PC FPS private server you'd just have a bunch of Fox only, Final Destination elitist assholes everywhere.

they are private communities. which you must know the access code to. Kiddies are not just going to stumble into ones they weren't meant to be on, and using them as a shield to explain the comical deficiencies of the customization is bizarre at best. Like a seven year old child will be sitting there sifting through private servers and then stumble upon one that lacks blue shells, and think to himself "my god, why did Nintendo do this to meee!"

Ghost23

FoxHimself, you might not have played the two courses yet, but are Wuhu Loop and Maka Wuhu actually different or are they similiar tracks with the same setting?

bummer about the lack of browsing, but kind of expected. Are recommended rooms official Nintendo communities or is there a tool to rate rooms? I'd guess that those recommended rooms are determined by traffic and user counts.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
There is nothing more boring in a racer than messing up at the beginning of a course and knowing it's over, I got sick of GT5 because of that. The blue shell doesn't always mean you will come back, but it always keeps the hope alive, which makes races more interesting. This idea of fun may not be shared by everyone, but an overwhelming majority of players benefit from it.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
ITT, Ami freaks out and starts calling everyone fanboys because one item can't be toggled and doesn't even know how the MK7 blue shell works in the first place.

Amir0x

Banned
ITT, Ami freaks out and starts calling everyone fanboys because one item can't be toggled and doesn't even know how the MK7 blue shell works in the first place.

sorry, i know exactly how blue shells work in MK7 (edit: just in case you're all 'no you don't', i know it targets the player in front of you instead of first place player. The problems is what the item does and how it's nearly impossible to avoid without pure luck. Skill only items was what I wanted to customize a server for. Shitty players could game elsewhere.). And, also, the complaint focusing on blue shells was merely an example of the symptom of a disease. Based on this set up, there are a whole variety of impossible customization set ups.

But, hey, more company worship denial really helps your case when you just make shit up to try to defend it.

There is nothing more boring in a racer than messing up at the beginning of a course and knowing it's over, I got sick of GT5 because of that. The blue shell doesn't always mean you will come back, but it always keeps the hope alive, which makes races more interesting. This idea of fun may not be shared by everyone, but an overwhelming majority of players benefit from it.

I agree. Outside of the ridiculous frequency of blue shells in MKWii I never thought that the item itself should be taken out completely. It keeps the tension going, and creates that quintessential Mario Kart feeling where nothing is set in stone until someone crosses the finishing line.

From the hands on and videos it really seems that the blue shell has been greatly reduced in frequency and that should really balance things better. But I guess people will still bitch about it.

Top Bottom