• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8: a look at menus, customisation options and more

Berordn

It doesn't look like there's much more content than MK7. I don't mind much, but it's odd they are charging $60.

All that extra manpower for art and assets costs money, but it is kinda surprising that they decided to drop the price of MK7 with this right around the corner. At the very least a lot of the courses we've seen appear to be much larger and more intricate than most of MK7's.

I wouldn't be so sure these are all the characters we get- Mario Golf I setting a Season Pass with four new characters, after all, and that's an undoubtedly less popular series. Mario Kart DLC is probably going to be a thing.

I sure hope so.

The hype is huge for this game(much to do with the graphics) but no matter what they include, there will always be disappointment(this character didn't make it, this course didn't make it, this mode, etc...).

DLC could make this game the only Mario Kart game you will need for years and years and years...unless people hate modern day Mario Karts.

Watch them release courses for DLC...offline only.

Character packs would make a lot of sense so even if this is the full roster, I wouldn't stress too much that there's not enough variety or not enough racers.

Roo

I read the OP, but I'm not clear -- have they confirmed single-player Versus? Where I can pick a single course and race against CPUs on it without having to go through an entire Grand Prix?

Apparently yes, it is confirmed.

BM8

Neo Member
Anyone else hoping for cranky kong? Itd be nice to add more female characters, like dixie, but if given a choice, i think itd be hilarious cruising around with kranky.

edit: Although, it would look funny, with his beard hanging upside down.

Neiteio

Apparently yes, it is confirmed.
Here's the exact wording from the Cubed 3 preview (from the print version on their site, which is what he reads in the YouTube video):

"Unfortunately, the other available modes weren't playable, but would presumably fit into the Mario Kart mould for those already accustomed to how they play out. Single player, a staple of the series and one for unlocking content, is of course back in full force, there'll also be a two player spit-screen mode, time trials, battle and online play. Those wanting to go deeper into the experience, unrestrained from the specific Grand Prix order, can sink their teeth into the Versus mode as featured in the more recent instalments."

"What is worth noting, though, is that both battle and versus modes are also available in the Single Player selection, and though not playable in the preview build, are a welcome re-inclusion given the abrupt removal of these options for the solo racer in Mario Kart 7."

This sounds encouraging, but I hope he's not just inferring these things based off Versus being listed under single-player. Hopefully it works as it has in the past.

Yoshi bike? GOTY. Shame I probably won't be able to get MK8 for a while due to a lack of a Wii U. Oh well.
I wouldn't be so sure these are all the characters we get- Mario Golf I setting a Season Pass with four new characters, after all, and that's an undoubtedly less popular series. Mario Kart DLC is probably going to be a thing.
Mario Golf also had a delay of close to a year. It's very likely that that delay was primarily for the Castle Club mode, so once the course team was done with the game content it was either put them on a different project, lay them off, or get the money for them to create more content, which is easiest to do by requesting a DLC budget. Not really the case here AFAIK.

Also, I'll be very surprised if those characters aren't on the cart. I do believe they were also made with a DLC budget, though, so they wouldn't have happened if the DLC wasn't planned.

I'm pretty sure the real megaton is that stats are now out of 6 instead of 5 :p

Come on where have you been since 2011. x)
BoltBuggyScreenshot.jpg

greg400

Banned
If the roster doesn't expand like it did in Mario Kart Wii I'm guessing the last characters will be Diddy, Dixie and Bowser Jr. based on the grouping.

rokero

I'm sorry that you felt that way but casual players don't; like my daughter picked Baby Peach/Daisy.
Now I feel dumb Totally forgot about the little ones, still I think they should have dialed it back a little baby mario,luigi and peach would have suffice

Bowser Jr, Diddy Kong, Dry Bones and Birdo aren't going anywhere.
I'd like to see King Boo and Dry Bowser back as well.

There'll probably be unlockable 'newcomers' too.
Like Baby Rosalina lol
Dixie Kong and Nabbit would be cool too.

What else would it be? It even has the same options like MKW's VS Mode.

The GP Mode displays the respective Cup symbol (see GameXplain's coverage), this VS Mode displays a custom emblem.

Not sure if you realize MK7 did have VS mode but not in solo. The photo you showed doesn't prove shit as it's from a 2-player video. The single player VS mode confirmation, so far, comes from one journalist, that the person you replied to mentioned rightfully. (at around ~2:40)

The one thing that the Mario Kart series needs that would take it over the top is a Super Smash Bros. Brawl amount of unlockables, special goals ("Clear the Star Cup in under 9 minutes to unlock Cheep Cheep"), and mini games.

The one thing that the Mario Kart series needs that would take it over the top is a Super Smash Bros. Brawl amount of unlockables, special goals ("Clear the Star Cup in under 9 minutes to unlock Cheep Cheep"), and mini games.

I soooo wish they would start doing this. Mario Kart definitely needs more modes and unlockables in general. Mission. Mode. Yes. Please.

Brizzo24

Two new playable female characters make their debut appearances in Mario Kart 8. New heavyweight driver Pink Gold Peach glows with a golden light and makes a nice counterpart to Metal Mario. Baby Rosalina shows up for a play date with other Baby characters. As in past Mario Kart games, players can again choose to play as their Mii characters, which rounds out the field of racers to an even 30.
-- Source

That's Everyone then?

Top Bottom