• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Best selling game in UK in April

Shiggy

With digital it may have done, its been topping the uk eshop chart (pretty much since it released i think)

It could be. But bear in mind, in 2015/2016, digital revenue of Nintendo's eShop titles was less than 6% of the total revenue generated from Nintendo-published games in Europe:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=233115399

It would be surprising if eShop sales suddenly increased much compared to retail sales, especially as the game's quite a bit more expensive on the eShop.

zelas

From the PAL charts thread :

MK8 Deluxe must have sold around 70k in it's first week, it dropped 71% last week which would put it at 20k for that week. As I thought, MK8 Deluxe hasn't reached 100k in the UK.
Well that says everything that needs to be said.

jobrro

Zero chance it will top May, Injustice 2 comes out next week.

Is this real? Not doubting you I just didn't know the series was that big. I bought Injustice 1 launch week of the PS4, I enjoyed the Story Mode but missed Capcom fighting mechanics. I am a bigger fan of DC than Marvel, I even love DCEU but still have trouble coming to grips with Mortal Kombat style of play and aesthetics over for example MvC3.

I just keep seeing posts like Injustice 2 will demolish MvC:I. I prefer DC but if given the choice I would still rather play MvC:I.

It could be. But bear in mind, in 2015/2016, digital revenue of Nintendo's eShop titles was less than 6% of the total revenue generated from Nintendo-published games in Europe:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=233115399

It would be surprising if eShop sales suddenly increased much compared to retail sales, especially as the game's quite a bit more expensive on the eShop.

Perhaps although mario kart is a game i can see some people wanting to always have in their system and early adopters being more technically minded could push digital higher than the nintendo averagea

Is this real? Not doubting you I just didn't know the series was that big. I bought Injustice 1 launch week of the PS4, I enjoyed the Story Mode but missed Capcom fighting mechanics. I am a bigger fan of DC than Marvel, I even love DCEU but still have trouble coming to grips with Mortal Kombat style of play and aesthetics over for example MvC3.

I just keep seeing posts like Injustice 2 will demolish MvC:I. I prefer DC but if given the choice I would still rather play MvC:I.
First one was the most sold game in USA when it came out in April of 2013 and was again the most sold game in May, also debuted on top in the UK.
It has easily sold around 2 to 3M.

noshten

First one was the most sold game in USA when it came out in April of 2013 and was again the most sold game in May, also debuted on top in the UK.
It has easily sold around 2 to 3M.

So are you expecting Injustice 2 to do more than 500K because that's the type of second month MK8D is probably going to be looking at. After all it was only available for a few days at the end of April and managed nearly that amount. Right now that larger Switch stock is nearly gone in the US. But no matter how limited - I expect at least 375K Switches sold to the US for May NPD.

MK8 on the Wii U 8 sold 470,000 physical and digital copies in June 2014 NPD. It was topped only by Watch Dogs second month and at the time WD was possibly one of the biggest games that had come out on the PS4/Xbox. It was the biggest IP at the time and since than I think only new IPs that have outsold it are Destiny and Overwatch.

From the venturebeat article:

Mario Kart 8 was actually the top-selling game on any one system, outselling Watch Dogs for PS4.

June 2014 was the second month for both WD and MK8, and thus far we know that MK8D's launch has outsold the launch of any other MK in the US. Even if Switch stock is somewhat limited for the demand the system is generating I still think MK8D will have a strong month that would be able to clear 500K.

Chessr

Now thinking about it, isn't it a bit weird Nintendo doesn't do Special Editions with Mario Kart? To that end, where are Mario Kart amiibo? Too expensive to manufacture or what?

Mario kart 8 on Wii U had a special edition with a statue :)

Principate

Saint Titanfall
From the PAL charts thread :

MK8 Deluxe must have sold around 70k in it's first week, it dropped 71% last week which would put it at 20k for that week. As I thought, MK8 Deluxe hasn't reached 100k in the UK.

Errrr that's a probably not an absolute, if it had a higher proportion of those sales like 7-8k more it would have.

So are you expecting Injustice 2 to do more than 500K because that's the type of second month MK8D is probably going to be looking at. After all it was only available for a few days at the end of April and managed nearly that amount. Right now that larger Switch stock is nearly gone in the US. But no matter how limited - I expect at least 375K Switches sold to the US for May NPD.

MK8 on the Wii U 8 sold 470,000 physical and digital copies in June 2014 NPD. It was topped only by Watch Dogs second month and at the time WD was possibly one of the biggest games that had come out on the PS4/Xbox. It was the biggest IP at the time and since than I think only new IPs that have outsold it are Destiny and Overwatch.

From the venturebeat article:

June 2014 was the second month for both WD and MK8, and thus far we know that MK8D's launch has outsold the launch of any other MK in the US. Even if Switch stock is somewhat limited for the demand the system is generating I still think MK8D will have a strong month that would be able to clear 500K.
The thread is about the month of April in the UK but I definitely expect Injustice 2 to do more than 500k in the US in May.

Top Bottom