• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe |OT| Deluxe Salt

Yesterday I had ten online worldwide races, got 1st in eight of them. The other two I placed 2nd and 3rd. I'm not good by any means, I assume I'm crushing newbies, but it is possible to achieve constant success. In GAF races, you can definitely see the same small pool of people consistently place in the top three. Yes, there are those times where absolute BS happens and it takes you from 3rd to 12th instantly, but success in this game is largely based on skill believe it or not.
Guess I'm off to offline 200cc training and coin hunting then :D

Shahadan

Currently about to try my first online mario kart experience. Expecting to get whooped.

This is you in 3 minutes:

tenor.gif

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Stepping back down from 200CC to 150CC is incredible. You're expecting it to be difficult, you reach that first corner you struggled to drift round consistently, and then... the reflexes just take over and before you know it you've won the race, easily.

OmniOne

So I'm getting murdered also by you guys...

Anyone else have experiences like hitting the same person say with 3 red shells In a row, but they don't actually get stopped. They don't block it, they do the spinning got hit animation, but they stay ahead of you and never stop moving.

Fulluphigh

Neo Member
Does the AI seem rebalanced at all to anybody else? I distinctly remember 150cc and above being an incredibly frustrating, un-fun experience, almost as bad as Mario Kart Wii. I think I only bothered to get gold on two cups in 150cc, and just played a couple rounds on 200cc before giving up. It just wasn't fun.

But I've been playing on 150cc since getting the game on Friday and it's been a blast! Much more fun than I remember having with it on the Wii U. It really seems like they must have touched up the balance somehow.

Or maybe I'm just misremembering the Wii U version? Could be, it was a while ago.

Anyone else have experiences like hitting the same person say with 3 red shells In a row, but they don't actually get stopped. They don't block it, they do the spinning got hit animation, but they stay ahead of you and never stop moving.

Yes...it's weird and i don't Know what It is...

random25

It's probably lag, but usually they have an item at the back that disappears after the heat but they still do the tumble animation without losing speed.

Does the AI seem rebalanced at all to anybody else? I distinctly remember 150cc and above being an incredibly frustrating, un-fun experience, almost as bad as Mario Kart Wii. I think I only bothered to get gold on two cups in 150cc, and just played a couple rounds on 200cc before giving up. It just wasn't fun.

But I've been playing on 150cc since getting the game on Friday and it's been a blast! Much more fun than I remember having with it on the Wii U. It really seems like they must have touched up the balance somehow.

Or maybe I'm just misremembering the Wii U version? Could be, it was a while ago.

Maybe we both are crazy but for me it feels exactly the same.

Pejo

Gold Member
Played a bunch of this game this weekend split screen online with the GF, we had some great fun. the last 200 meters in any race is my absolute danger zone though. I can't even count how many times I've been able to see the finish line in 2nd or 3rd place and end up eating a blue shell, few reds, a horn etc, and then finishing 8th. It's really disheartening.

I also found out this way that after the first place person finishes, the blue shells aim at whoever is ahead in the race and not finished. Sad days.

Recreat3

Played a bunch of this game this weekend split screen online with the GF, we had some great fun. the last 200 meters in any race is my absolute danger zone though. I can't even count how many times I've been able to see the finish line in 2nd or 3rd place and end up eating a blue shell, few reds, a horn etc, and then finishing 8th. It's really disheartening.

I also found out this way that after the first place person finishes, the blue shells aim at whoever is ahead in the race and not finished. Sad days.

Thats a tough lesson to learn. Theres sadly not much you can do about that except cross the finish line.

mazillion

In my expirience, every time a shot is blocked they always appear to spin out and they always drop coins. I guess it's lag? I've just learned to accept that if it looked like I hit them but they didn't slow down, then I didn't hit them and they probably blocked the shot.

Edit: I'm thinking it's not lag but a quirk with the netcode

centracore

I took a break from GAF 150cc to unlock Gold Mario, the gold kart, and the gold tires.. all that's left now is the gold glider but I can gather the remaining 7,000 coins online so see y'all tonight.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Since I have this on the Wii U , I haven't looked really hard for the Switch but this thread is giving me the itch...must... resit... till I.... complete... Shrines!!!

It is an option at the kart selection menu and I absolutely love it's inclusion. I don't use it but I was just playing with a family and we turned it on for the child and mother, who both had much more fun.

I do feel it should be off by default, but that is just my preference. I'm thrilled that Nintendo are putting (optional) stuff like this in so it balances the game for all skill levels and everyone can enjoy.

It is an option at the kart selection menu? I suppose I just haven't seen it.

I think it's on by default because let's say you're 5 years old, you won't know what smart steering is, or that it might help you to turn it on. However if you're a 20 year old Mario Kart veteran then it's easy to know what's up and turn it off, so I think it's best on by default, personally. It's easy for me to turn off, but wouldn't be easy for a child to turn on if they felt that they needed it.

Yea it seems to me the best way to get good results is to be effective/lucky in the very early stage of the race and manage to gain some advantage over the pack.
Once you're in the middle of the pack, it's total mayhem and I don't feel like there's any skill involved at that point.

I just wish there were a toned down items mode, that would fix all my issues.

There is; it's called Mario Kart 8 on Wii U. ;p

Two items has really destroyed the middle-of-the-pack balance for me.

It is an option at the kart selection menu? I suppose I just haven't seen it.

You have to push the button that toggles kart stats on/off, then you'll see options for motion controls, smart steering, and auto acceleration. You can also access it from the pause menu during a race.

Considering Double Dash was one of my favorite in the series I am loving the double items. Is there a way to switch which item you have selected like there was in Double Dash?

OmniOne

In my expirience, every time a shot is blocked they always appear to spin out and they always drop coins. I guess it's lag? I've just learned to accept that if it looked like I hit them but they didn't slow down, then I didn't hit them and they probably blocked the shot.

Edit: I'm thinking it's not lag but a quirk with the netcode

This makes some sense. I'll try to make the same assumption and not rage lol.

I didn't want to make a thread about this.. But mario kart 8, makes miss mod nation racers... Mario kart just isn't fleshed out.. No story.. No real upgrade path.. The only flaw mod nation had was horrendous load times. Mk8 just seems bare bones... Here are some karts.. Here are some maps..go...

Do the characters you race as make any difference?
I hate the kart pieces and how you're supposed to figure out whats best.

I played all of the Mod Nation games extensively and I must say I strongly disagree. The story was abysmal and only added to the absurd loading times. The tracks were often uninspired and boring. The framerate wasn't stable, and the graphics merely alright (at least on Vita). The only thing it had was the editor, which was easy to use, and the player created content was alright.

MK8 has it beat in every single aspect, and noone has ever pined for a story in the Kart games. It's completely unneccessary.

Also, you can see the stats when picking the parts, so I don't see how it's "you're suppsed to figure it out". Apart from trying different things to see what you like best, I guess. It's not a guessing game.

Chris R

Is there an option to play with reduced item sets in Grand Prix mode? IE Banana/Green&Red Shells/Boost Shrooms and pretty much nothing else?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Do I need to 3-star the cups to unlock everything (Gold Mario is it I guess?), or is gold enough? Does 3-starring give me anything at all?

Grizzo

Didn't I win the last race? Why is Incite wearing the crown? I don't get it, maybe my game is lying to me and I ended up in second place after all

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
it's probably somewhere in this thread....but could someone explain to me the meaning of the icons at the vehicle select screen (i think there they are)

one is antenna on/off, one is motion control/normal controls/one is the assistant so you can't drop of the track but what is the one with the R and the arrow in front of the mario?

random25

Didn't I win the last race? Why is Incite wearing the crown? I don't get it, maybe my game is lying to me and I ended up in second place after all

The one who currently has the highest total score wears the crown.

it's probably somewhere in this thread....but could someone explain to me the meaning of the icons at the vehicle select screen (i think there they are)

one is antenna on/off, one is motion control/normal controls/one is the assistant so you can't drop of the track but what is the one with the R and the arrow in front of the mario?

That's probably auto-accelerate, so you don't have to hold A while driving.

Auto acceleration.

You can also change it in the pause menu during a race:

I think it should be whoever wins the current race but....I guess tournaments are like that. It's pretty dumb.

Cynosure

i think iv determined the key to winning coin runners is to play chill. mostly camping in the beginning, then going in for cleanup.

Top Bottom