• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 DLC pricing confirmed ($7.99 each or $11.99 for both, 16 tracks)

Haha, will do.

I can't believe all the content that comes with this DLC. It's almost like a brand new game.

prior to the introduction of retro cups, this WAS the content of a brand new game. This is an insane value for the money. My only complaints are that the second one is too damned far away and there's no proper battle mode tracks, but this is honestly more than enough to make up for it. Sold, sold, a thousand times sold.

Not surprised at all to see most people online driving mercs but wow loads of coloured yoshis and shyguys people are gobbling up dlc that won't be out for months already

if you can see different color yoshis already online I wonder if the DLC content is open for everyone online

still, this is the smartest move I've seen Nintendo pull off, very smart pricing so not sure why anyone who loves MK8 would pass on it

pdk27

Woke up this morning, downloaded the MK8 update and preordered both DLC packs. 6 characters, 8 new vehicles and 16 new courses for $12? No brainer. Will check out the rest of the update when I get home from work.

Arclaid

This image though:

zlCfzSXu1VA78N6t6D

I don't know.

Yeah, that's where the problem with the assumption lies. Would've been almost certain had the cups been the other way around.

We could also assume that the retro tracks are in the Triforce/leaf cups instead, but that I find that kind of odd. Guess we won't know until the DLC hits.

Edit: Although, I only just noticed that the Triforce and leaf cups are on different rows. Now this is just really weird.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Can't believe I just pre-ordered a season pass :\ Still, £11 is a fair deal.

Not really a season pass if you basically know what you're getting. Sure the courses and vehicles are still for the most part a mystery, you still know what you're paying for.

zroid

Banned
I probably wouldn't pre-purchase this except for the fact that I've already got ~$60 in my eShop balance, so paying up front isn't really taking any money out of my wallet directly. I don't expect to use up all that cash before the first DLC arrives in November, anyway.

Ooooh, I thought if you advance purchased you'd get those immediately, otherwise you'd get when you purchased both anyways. Hmmm that changes things.

Ummmm... no I think you're right. But yeah if you want them now rather than later, you can pre-purchase.

Yeah, that's where the problem with the assumption lies. Would've been almost certain had the cups been the other way around.

We could also assume that the retro tracks are in the Triforce/leaf cups instead, but that I find that kind of odd. Guess we won't know until the DLC hits.

Edit: Although, I only just noticed that the Triforce and leaf cups are on different rows. Now this is just really weird.
The cup icons could always change. The placeholder icons included a blue shell cup (I can see that being chapter 9 of F-Zero GX story mode, Big Foot from F-Zero X expansion and other evil courses).

so if someone only downloaded the free benz cars and ignored the paid dlc can they still change yoshi colors or even see them online?
The colours are already on the disc so they should be able to. Now the karts and characters will be interesting in November.

This alone would be enough reason for me to throw down another $10. It's the best chaotic fun race full stop. It would also solve all the Battle Modes problems in one go. DO IT NINTENDO!

Baby Park was so fun. Another reason it was such a good stage was because you never felt like you were that far behind. You always felt you could catch up even when you got screwed over by items.

Rvaisse

The StreetPass DLC bundle and the Pikmin 3 DLC were also kind of cheap, take that and the free updates to their games (like adding stylus mode in Pikmin3), the Premium/Deluxe program, and the free games...
Nintendo does a lot more than "DLC done right"

Forkball

Kind of wish they would just show us the tracks and the karts. Maybe they are holding it back closer to release to build up hype, but I think they would push more people over the fence if they just showed everything off.

Chaos17

The StreetPass DLC bundle and the Pikmin 3 DLC were also kind of cheap, take that and the free updates to their games (like adding stylus mode in Pikmin3), the Premium/Deluxe program, and the free games...
Nintendo does a lot more than "DLC done right"

I can't think to play Pikimin 3 without the stylus.
It's so cool!

Rvaisse

I can't think to play Pikimin 3 without the stylus.
It's so cool!

i'm a wiimote/pointing TV adept !
What's even more cool actually is to have the possibility to choose between 3 totally different types of control, something you usually find only on PC ! Same goes with MK8 : gamepad, motion control or nunchuk/wiimote.

And to get back on topic, i was genuinely shocked by the price, i was expecting 12€ for 1cup/1pilot/1kart

LAA

Super happy about this. I'm in favour of Mario Kart evolving into Nintendo Kart, so this move is pretty exciting for me.

Just what MK8 needed for me to push me to play it again.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
holy god I didn't even know this was coming and it's today?! BAAAAAAWWW YEAH

EDIT: FUUUUCK!!

Son Of D

Who would double-dip if they released a retail version that included all DLC?

Wouldn't double dip myself but I can see that happening next year. A budget priced release with DLC included alongside whatever bundles they have for 2015 could do nicely.

ChaosXVI

I could definitely see a "GOTY Edition" re-release to coincide with a Wii U price drop next mid to late next year.

I fully agree, it could be called Super Mario Kart 8 and feature new artwork showing off one of the new tracks and other stuff...

At least that's what would happen if Nintendo was Capcom.

DLC looks absolutely fantastic. A lot of people I know that play MK have been saying for years that they wish non-Mario characters and courses would be in the games, like Nintendo does with Smash Bros.

I am surprised Link is coming to MK before Kirby, though. I always thought Kirby was a shoe-in for Mario Kart if they ever did decide to cross-over from non-Mario characters. Animal Crossing of course fits perfectly. Surprised they didn't do it in MK7.

My biggest curiosity is what Nintendo does with purchase options for the DLC for people who prefer physical media and/or who don't have a Deluxe 32GB system or an external HDD hooked up.

1GB is a lot for people who have the Basic, and I know there are going to be parents out there who want to get their kids the DLC but aren't going to want to mess with downloading from the eShop and would rather buy a disc and just put it in the tray for their kids. In that case, does Nintendo include the DLC as it's released with new copies of the game starting in November and just sell the game at a higher price? Or do they release the DLC on separate discs and sell them at retail for $9.99 each? Or wait until May 2015 and have both packs on the same disc and treat it like an expansion pack? I am very interested to see how Nintendo handles all of that. There's a lot to consider.

I think the exposure that's necessary to sell the DLC to ALL MK8 players, and not just teenagers and adults who have constant access to the internet, requires that Nintendo have some sort of physical presence for the DLC at retail. Particularly around the holidays.

Top Bottom