• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 releasing in May 2014!

FLAguy954

g1GTW3v.gif

Holy shit what a drought:

May....the gods be with Nintendo in these harsh times.

I'm cool with this.

Things are going really shitty but I don't want an unfinished product, not with this game.

Iwata's first line of business at this whole briefing should have been that Battle Mode is being refocused on and Block Fort is back.

Laieon

Anyone seriously think Smash is a 2014 game? Development began less than 2 years ago for a project that probably takes a good 3+ years.

I'll be very, very surprised if Smash isn't their big Holiday 2014 title. I'm not really sure what else the could put up there, but then again E3 has yet to come.

Should have been sooner like February but more Mario Kart in the horizon is good. I'm excited after how enjoyable 7 was. Music Park was awesome.

SaviorX

Anyone seriously think Smash is a 2014 game? Development began less than 2 years ago for a project that probably takes a good 3+ years.

I've been saying since it was announced that Mid-2015 (or maybe Q1 next March) is a much more reasonable because a 2-year development cycle just didn't make sense. They had to delay Brawl, which didn't have the HD or a 3DS game in the works. Trying to polish, balance, and perfect that game is probably going to take months once it is "completed."

SSBM - 2001
SSBB - 2008
SSB4 - logic says 2015.

I feel sorry for anyone expecting it to come out anywhere near this year. Even March 2015 may be too early. Nintendo may push it to September

SSBM - 2001
SSBB - 2008
SSB4 - logic says 2015.

I feel sorry for anyone expecting it to come out anywhere near this year. Even March 2015 may be too early. Nintendo may push it to September

It's been confirmed for 2014. Over, and over, and over again. Nintendo's even gone out of it's way to say that development was handed primarily to Namco in order to deliver the game in a timely manner. Hence why they announced "2014" so confidently at E3 last year. And by November 2014, if development began in summer 2012, that is almost a 2 1/2 year development schedule. I would be shocked if it gets delayed past 2014. I don't even think Nintendo considers that an option. Wii U needs Smash this year.

udivision

So DK in Feb and Kart in May?

It is going to be brutal for Wii U before DK and before Kart.

Well... it's a good thing they delayed DK, I guess.

Hahahaha.... ... ...

It's been confirmed for 2014. Over, and over, and over again. Nintendo's even gone out of it's way to say that development was handed primarily to Namco in order to deliver the game in a timely manner. Hence why they announced "2014" so confidently at E3 last year. And by November 2014, if development began in summer 2012, that is almost a 2 1/2 year development schedule. I would be shocked if it gets delayed past 2014. I don't even think Nintendo considers that an option. Wii U needs Smash this year.

It'll be delayed, don't worry.

Tablo

Haven't they been too communicative regarding Smash 4 for it NOT to come out this year?
Seems like it is geared for 2014, otherwise they're just torturing us by showing these screens if the game is 12+ months away.

Ryce

SSBM - 2001
SSBB - 2008
SSB4 - logic says 2015.
Err... that's not how it works. The Smash Bros. games aren't developed back-to-back. And you conveniently left out the first game, which released in 1999 and messes up your (nonexistent) pattern.

As someone who has played it, I'm not really looking forward to it that much. Plays almost identically to the Wii version, which is the worst version in my opinion.
I'm looking forward to it, but I do worry about how similar it will play compared to the wii version. Wii version was also my least favorite.

Social

As expected. There will be about 4 more interesting games after that to cover the rest of the year. All will be 9/10 games

SSBM - 2001
SSBB - 2008
SSB4 - logic says 2015.

Development for Brawl began in Oct 2005 and was released January. 2008. 2 years and 4 months after development. Development for SSB4 began around March 2012 so I don't think a late 2014 release would be unreasonable especially considering that their getting help from Namco Bandai. A summer release could be in the cards.

Davey Cakes

I'm looking forward to it, but I do worry about how similar it will play compared to the wii version. Wii version was also my least favorite.
Mario Kart Wii is probably my favorite in the series so personally I'm stoked for MK8.

I was kind of hoping for April but hey, my birthday is in May so it's not all bad.

I am curious as to what Nintendo plans on releasing between now and May (besides DK obviously) to keep players interested. Maybe they have a surprise? Maybe they'll pump out more digital games and VC titles in the meantime? I hope they don't expect three months of nothingness to be acceptable.

We'll see.

I'm expecting a mid summer release for Smash at the earliest. Perhaps August.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Nintendo is going to have a killer first-party line-up for their Wii U console next fiscal year. I'm buying them all.

Announced:

Mario Kart 8 May
Bayonetta 2 June (Speculative)
Hyrule Warriors August (Speculative)
X Winter (Speculative)
Smash Winter (Speculative)

Add 1 or 2 more first-party games to that line-up (NFC game most likely) and its a solid output. 3rd party however....

-Horizon-

I feel like this should've been a March release or early April. May seems so far away with only
DK in February. Then Smash U in the summer.

Hiltz

So DK in Feb and Kart in May?

It is going to be brutal for Wii U before DK and before Kart.

Well, there's going to be some new indie titles coming out within that period to help soften the blow. Some devs have offered some status updates on their projects:

Shovel Knight - rescheduled for March 31st.
Armillo - March 24
Assault Android Cactus - Midyear 2014
BLOK DROP U - Submitted to Nintendo in January, currently in final testing phase
Cubemen 2 - To be submitted to Nintendo next week.
lttle Dew - To be submitted to Nintendo this week.
Monkey Pirates- Game is complete but no release date announced
Pier Solar HD - Going into beta testing stage.
Super Ubie Land - Release within next 6 months.
Q.U.B.E - April
Tengami - Game is near completion, looking int implement Release within 3-4 months.
Teslagrad - To confirm release date soon.
Pure Chess - Announcing release date within next couple of weeks.

Exile20

Nintendo is going to have a killer first-party line-up for their Wii U console next fiscal year. I'm buying them all.

Announced:

Mario Kart 8 May
X Winter (Speculative)

Add 1 or 2 more first-party games to that line-up (NFC game most likely) and its a solid output. 3rd party however....

The good think about the Wii U is that you know exactly what you are buying. No big decisions need to be made, nothing more, nothing less.

Well, there's going to be some new indie titles coming out within that period to help soften the blow. Some devs have offered some status updates on their projects:

Shovel Knight - rescheduled for March 31st.
Armillo - March 24
Assault Android Cactus - Midyear 2014
BLOK DROP U - Submitted to Nintendo in January, currently in final testing phase
Cubemen 2 - To be submitted to Nintendo next week.
lttle Dew - To be submitted to Nintendo this week.
Monkey Pirates- Game is complete but no release date announced
Pier Solar HD - Going into beta testing stage.
Super Ubie Land - Release within next 6 months.
Q.U.B.E - April
Tengami - Game is near completion, looking int implement Release within 3-4 months.
Teslagrad - To confirm release date soon.
Pure Chess - Announcing release date within next couple of weeks.

These games just aren't high profile enough. Unless Minecraft is released soon, I don't think any indie title can soften the blow. Some of those titles are even after Kart, shovel knight is probably the most high profile there but there is a pc and 3ds version also.

Anth0ny

Announced:

Mario Kart 8 May
X Winter (Speculative)

I think we'll get an HD Collection of some sort for October. Possibly the Galaxy games. Gotta have a Mario platformer for the holidays!

That will probably be it for first party releases this year, and literally the only notable third party game is going to be Watch Dogs. Those droughts are not going to be pretty.

Smash 4 will absolutely be their big November game.

Alcibiades

What's your source for when development began?

Wikipedia says March 2012. Not sure how accurate but Nintendo is traditionally very slow about development of anything, so it wouldn't surprise me.

As far as those saying it is too valuable of a Christmas title to delay, remember this is NINTENDO. Ocarina of Time, the big holiday title for 1997 was delayed (though they thankfully had Diddy Kong Racing, a less than surefire hit in light of resemblance to the already-released Mario Kart 64, to save the day). They also delayed the much-needed Twilight Princess on GCN (even though that had Wii-related reasons too).

N64 was basically a mass of "too important to be delayed" titles yet seemingly everything was getting delayed left and right. I really do hope Smash makes it out this year, but would any Nintendo fan that lived that lived through the N64-Wii U days be willing to bet their first-born that Smash is going to make it out this year?

EDIT:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2005/08/16/zelda-delayed-to-next-year

Twilight Princess, developed by Nintendo and directed by Majora's Mask overseer Eiji Aonuma, was previously set to be the company's big holiday game. In fact, analysts expected the game to be Nintendo's single greatest deterrent to consumers potentially interested in Microsoft's next-generation console, Xbox 360, which is set for a November launch. The delay leaves Nintendo without a major holiday release on GameCube.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I think we'll get an HD Collection of some sort for October. Possibly the Galaxy games. Gotta have a Mario platformer for the holidays!

That will probably be it for first party releases this year, and literally the only notable third party game is going to be Watch Dogs. Those droughts are not going to be pretty.

Smash 4 will absolutely be their big November game.

Hmm I do hope that your prediction comes to bear as I would buy that in a heartbeat and you are correct, Mario for the holiday seasons is a must by Nintendo standards :p

Gotta agree with that as well. People claiming that Smash will be released in Summer are kidding themselves. Its a November game.

So 3 months minimum without a new Wii U game I want to play. That might be just enough time for me to give up completely and get a PS4.

April is rumored to be Watch Dogs so that may help. Wii U version should have some cool gamepad stuff

Even less to play on the PS4 so not really the best option right now.

Play games on 360 or PS3

or play some older Wii U games like

Resident Evil Revelations
Deus Ex
Monster Hunters
Pikmin 3
Splinter Cell
Assassin's Creed 4
Zombi U (if you haven't played it)
Rayman
for example

Top Bottom