• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Sells More Than 1.2 Million Units Worldwide Over First Weekend

Well the 3DS started the same and I'd argue that it's actually getting too much 1st party software now as some of those games should have been diverted to Wii U.

The 3DS drought didn't last nearly this long but Nintendo has said multiple times now that they were struggling to adapt to HD development. There won't be a 3rd party renaissance but it wouldn't surprise me to see monthly to bi-monthly releases of 1st party games by next year.

They were pretty much forced into this situation. They had to make a decision after Christmas to float the Wii U until their next system so as not to lose all consumer confidence, but they realized that it wasn't going to be a huge success. They couldn't just keep dumping money into projects that would sell 25-30k ww in slow months. They're definitely in loss minimization mode right now, otherwise we'd be seeing more money put into small and mid size games like Dr. Luigi or Wario Ware.

Raist

Banned
A cursory attempt to read what I wrote would be appreciated.

It's not the first time people misunderstand you here apprently, so maybe you could explain better what ultimately your point is.

If it indeed is that a game like MK8 could have made people realise earlier that the WiiU is more powerful than the Wii and there's a "generational gap" after all, I don't know what the argument is, because I really doubt that was the problem in the first place when it comes to graphics (as in, whether or not it's a lot more capable than the Wii).

sörine

Banned
It's not the first time people misunderstand you here apprently, so maybe you could explain better what ultimately your point is.
Actually you seem to be the only one with a problem understanding what was written. But by all means continue digging.

rawbuchanan

Neo Member
Further proof that Nintendo's problem isn't games, it's hardware.

While I think you're half right, I also think better marketing could have made a huge impact on console sales. No other Wii U game has been marketed like Mario Kart 8, which is a real shame when you consider the quality of the 1st party output.

prag16

Banned
sörine;114463060 said:
It isn't a sell-in number, it's an internal estimate of sell-through.

This. If it was a shipment number, there would be no reason for them to internally estimate the number. They would *know* the number.

They were pretty much forced into this situation. They had to make a decision after Christmas to float the Wii U until their next system so as not to lose all consumer confidence, but they realized that it wasn't going to be a huge success. They couldn't just keep dumping money into projects that would sell 25-30k ww in slow months. They're definitely in loss minimization mode right now, otherwise we'd be seeing more money put into small and mid size games like Dr. Luigi or Wario Ware.
I'm almost sure that's not the case. They would have put the Wii U on fire sale by now if they'd given up on it entirely. I think they were waiting to see what MK8 and Smash do for console sales before making any decision about the Wii U's future. If there aren't new game announcements at E3 (we already know that there will be actually) then we'll know that they're pulling the plug.
Actually this number is almost certainly a shipment number, so not so much.
Has Nintendo every given out shipment numbers in cases like these? I'm honestly curious.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Actually this number is almost certainly a shipment number, so not so much.

No. Just like their previous previous press release for Pokemon X & Y, Mario Kart 8 numbers are internal estimates for sold to consumers, not shipped to retailers.

As such, shipments of 2.5 million for Q1 is pretty much guaranteed at this point.

WillyFive

Good thing that the sequel to galaxy 2 is already out - and it's made with the same style of level design minus the space/gravity theme. 64 and Galaxy are polar opposites

Not really. More like a game based on the minigames from Sunshine, except with most of your moves and abilities removed and forcing digital control to players when Mario 64 presumably abolished that almost 20 years ago.

It begins! /somewhat

It's nice that more Wii U's are being sold, especially for those indie devs who took a chance with the console and will hopefully get a few more sales now.

MisterHero

Nintendo secretly moved 1.2 million free copies of Monster Hunter 3 Wii U and Capcom's gonna muck it up somehow!!!!

StevieP

Banned
Not really. More like a game based on the minigames from Sunshine, except with most of your moves and abilities removed and forcing digital control to players when Mario 64 presumably abolished that almost 20 years ago.

Hyperbole aside ("most of your moves and abilities" :lol) 64 and sunshine are alike. Galaxy series and 3D world (both alike in most ways) are what 3D Mario evolved to. Deal with it.

One of U, One of U, One of U...

It was the Luigi GIFS that got me. PC Gaming for lyphe, but I had to have Mario Kart 8. It's the one game my wife will play with me, ever since Double Dash. We tried to do the STEAM streaming of Sonic Allstars Racing Transformed, but the lag wasn't cooperating. I could tell she was disappointed when it wouldn't work well. Of course, she's going to yell at me for spending the money, but I think she'll get over it rather quickly.

I finally get to play Skyward Sword, which came out after I sold my Wii. This system update is taking forever.

sörine

Banned
Hyperbole aside ("most of your moves and abilities" :lol) 64 and sunshine are alike. Galaxy series and 3D world (both alike in most ways) are what 3D Mario evolved to. Deal with it.
3D Land/World is pretty different from Galaxy tbh, from progression to control to physics. Galaxy 2 certainly pushed farther in that direction with it's linearity and reduction of exploration but I'd probably consider 64/Sunshine, Galaxy series and 3D series to each be 3 different things.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

If it indeed is that a game like MK8 could have made people realise earlier that the WiiU is more powerful than the Wii and there's a "generational gap" after all, I don't know what the argument is, because I really doubt that was the problem in the first place when it comes to graphics (as in, whether or not it's a lot more capable than the Wii).

It is really simple, and not really an "argument". My opinion is simply that NSMB U and all the software shown up to launch was not impressive graphically and did not really differentiate Wii U from Wii.

MK8, though obviously not changing core mechanics, truly looks like a true step up from Wii software and being able to highlight MK8 close to launch might have helped the perception of the machine.

That's it. I'm not sure what you want to argue about.

Sendou

I'm compelled to buy a Wind Waker bundle and pick up Mario Kart 8 with it. Should I bite GAF?

Yeah and then get Pikmin 3 with the promotion. Fun times ahead.

Or you know if you like platforms NSMBU still is the best 2D Mario game since World even if it pales in comparision to DKC:TF that sadly isn't among the free MK8 promotion games.

Piscus

Ladies and Gentlemen...

RZxWxvB.png

We have our answer.

I find it kind of funny that the majority of people critiquing this post have beanies on their avatars...

Just saying.

MilesTeg

Banned
Nintendo consoles need to launch with one of the following:

3D Mario
Mario Kart
Zelda
Smash Bros

That being said if they take 8-10 months to release another game afterwards like they did with Wii U, that is a fail. They need steady stream of games throughout the console life cycle.

Hugstable

Banned
I hope they do DLC like 5-10$ (I have no clue on dlc pricing -_-) for like a new cup with 4 tracks and all. They could alternate and do like 4 DLC packages with New tracks for one DLC and then Retro Tracks the next. I'm really enjoying the hell out of this game so far and I will always be down to add more courses to my Mario Kart experience.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
And thats why, instead of doing DLC for mario kart 8, nintendo needs to start with mario kart 9 for the 3ds successor NOW!! :p

So they can half ass it even more in the crunch time for launch? No thanks. MK games are a great 1+ year-after-launch pick-me-up.

While I think you're half right, I also think better marketing could have made a huge impact on console sales. No other Wii U game has been marketed like Mario Kart 8, which is a real shame when you consider the quality of the 1st party output.

True true, mario kart 8 is the first strongly advertised Wii U title I have seen, you would need to be blind to miss this one

Even the supermarkets have been carrying mario toys and mc donalds had there mario happy meals

I also think the tablet bubble and indie bubble has FINALLY popped!

And everyone that was waiting for ps4 and xbox one to hit finally has there eyes on the Wii U as they crave the next thing in there living room

m0t0k1

I hope they do DLC like 5-10$ (I have no clue on dlc pricing -_-) for like a new cup with 4 tracks and all. They could alternate and do like 4 DLC packages with New tracks for one DLC and then Retro Tracks the next. I'm really enjoying the hell out of this game so far and I will always be down to add more courses to my Mario Kart experience.

I am sorry huggy but i hope the tracks stay free don't want to split your userbase. They can ask money for new characters and karts. I also could live with the way they handle it in Mario golf for 3ds. So you can play those levels only if somebody else bought it and choose that level.

Top Bottom