• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8, what no one seems to be discussing.

Prototype

I'm talking (mostly) about the utter lack of single player content & features.

Before I begin I would like to say that the multiplayer and online is a blast (even tho comm errors are annoying) the game really shines here and is a ton of fun. The random nature of the game gives it that "just one more race" feel due to luck of the draw on items and the chaos that ensues from 12 players battling it out during a race. I absolutely LOVE it.

That said, MK8 feels like a bit of a rush job.

Modes:
Other then unlocked Mirror mode for the tracks there are no other modes to play like excellent Mission Mode in Mario Kart DS. Even Coin Runners from the 3DS would have been nice as an extra for something different to do. Or a whole new mode for the Wii U. Some extra event would have been really nice and made the game seem more full.

Visuals:
The award ceremony video after completing a GP look like is was recorded on a VHS tape and is quite jarring. Even the video clips that play for each mode on the main menu look really low res. I'm not the type to care about this stuff most of the time but it does make the game look cheap. Also throughout the game there are plenty of jaggies, everywhere.

Features:
The game doesn't track any of your stats. Nothing. Item use? % of times an item was picked up? How many 1st place finishes? Most used character? ect... Nothing at all. it's kind of a bummer and a missed opportunity. Which is strange coming off past titles.

Also for those who like time trials, there is no way to view all your times or compare times in an easy way. You have to manually choose each one. Pick time trial, pick your character, pick your kart and parts, then pick the stage you want to see. This makes it a real pain.

Additionally, there is no marker or sign of any type that you've beaten a dev ghost time on a specific track. you have to check them all 1 by 1. It's a pain and the design on display here is really arcahic. I've seen better student work in UI and interface building then what Nintendo has done here with the menus. I really like doing time trials in games but in MK8 it's mostly just a pain.

Personally I also find there to be a lack of items. Certain items seem to come up way too often like the Red Shell, and if more items would have been included the chance of landing on a specfic item would go down. I'd like to have seen more the past items come back, like Fake Item Boxes, POW block, and of course the character specific power ups, which made each character just that much more unique.

The End:
I feel like a lot of people (players and gaming outlets) are ignoring MK8 weaknesses. The core game itself is really really fun as it has been for years, it's the same formula, but there are short comings here too. Ones that I'd hope Nintendo addresses in the future.

EDIT:
2 points I didn't bring up, the first because it had been beaten to death, but i'll mention it here quickly anyway -->Battle mode is terrible with no Arenas. And being able to at least type in the lobby would be nice, the few canned expressions they let you pick are mostly worthless.

EDIT 2:
Great post by Gonzo: (added bold)

Although I'm still enjoying it, I'm going to take a far more critical position. Honestly, it feels like they forgot to finish the game, which is what makes no sense to me, because I'm sure they had more than enough time. Somehow it feels even more barebones than MK7, and that game was notorious for being rushed. Before you all have breakdowns because I dared to criticize the game, please reserve judgement until after you read my entire post.

- No awards ceremony after finishing a Grand Prix
- No "congratulations" screen after the credits
- No stat tracking page, even though it's been present in every game since Mario Kart DS
- No options menu of any kind (can't even adjust volume settings or change the controls)
- A weak selection of vehicle parts; nearly half are just model swaps, and there aren't that many to begin with
- Still no character costumes or ability to change the color of your vehicle
- An objectively bad character roster padded with babies and texture swaps
- A battle mode that is so bad that I forgot it even existed until right now
- Removal of basic features such as the on-screen minimap and race timer
- Splitscreen with more than two players is nearly unplayable due to the drop in framerate
- Anybody who doesn't use the GamePad is at an immediate disadvantage
- Wonky item distribution that punishes everybody who isn't in 1st place
- Upon further inspection, the "Frantic" alternative is even worse, making the game feel like one big 4TL hacking fest
- The warning sound for Red Shells, Bullet Bills, and Stars is literally broken; it's not unheard of to get hit by something you can't even see
- It's also worth nothing that you can no longer hear bananas being thrown until after they land
- Not enough tracks given the fact that even the DS was capable of having the same amount; more if you include the battle arenas and Mission Mode
- No reward for getting three stars on every cup; not even a bloody stamp
- MKTV is extremely underwhelming because you can't crop out specific clips from each race and piece them together
- The poorly implemented highlight reel makes it almost impossible to upload footage of yourself getting hit by multiple items in a row
- No friend leaderboards for Time Trials; even MK7 allowed you to compare your times with friends
- No sequential ghost races that actually made TTing in MKW somewhat enjoyable
- You can only download 16 ghosts in total, which isn't even enough for every track
- Inability to choose your Mii in-game and being forced to edit your personal Mii instead
- Worldwide online races are still broken because of how frequently communication errors occur
- RED.FUCKING.SHELLS.

What makes the absence of the stat tracking page even more baffling is that you actually need coins to unlock things, and yet you have no way of knowing how many coins you have. I'm sick to death of Nintendo adding in new features and taking them out of future games. Is this being done so they can disguise how derivative their sequels really are? Why can't they add a proper single player mode for once? Diddy Kong Racing had an excellent adventure mode, and that game came out almost 20 years ago. I hope people can see past the shiny new graphics and acknowledge just how disappointing MK8 is in retrospect. They could have done so much more with it, and yet some people are going to dismiss these complaints as "irrelevant" or "trivial" because the gameplay isn't directly affected. By no means am I a fan of Mario Kart Wii, but at least that game felt polished. If we want the status quo to change, then we have to let our voices be heard. #freemk8

It's not really "ignoring" if people are wholeheartedly satisfied with what is available, or view stat tracking as a novelty they'd glance at once.

There has actually been plenty of talk of the limited number of modes, such as no ds style mission mode, or the crippled remains of battle mode.

I hope MK9 makes massive strides in this regard, that it is more of a content expansion upon 8 than a major overhaul.

m0t0k1

What also nobody seems to be discussing is the lack of Ghost Item in latest mario kart. Kan you believe the salt if you could steal somebodies star when in first.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Yeah, I feel this too. It's a fantastic game that I'll be playing for years, but I feel they short-changed on the single player stuff. Where the hell is my All Cup Tour damn it
LLShC.gif

Shamefully, I'd pay for any DLC they release too.

I have talked about MK8's weaknesses several times in the official thread. But my biggest complaint is the lack of modes (both singleplayer and multiplayer). There's just not enough to do (especially since Battle Mode fucking sucks), and just having online doesn't mean a whole lot to me. I prefer local multiplayer, but we get bored of doing the same tracks over and over with no other gameplay types.

SART spoiled me with its career mode.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
have you visited the OT? Stuff like this is brought up for sure. A lot of people are hoping for DLC, myself included.

I know it's difficult, but I'd like to see the game end with a similar about of content as Mario Kart DS.

EulaCapra

After the lack of Single-Player Vs. in MK7, I'll take what I can get.

And this just proves how odd that Mario Kart DS (a game released in 2005) still reigns supreme. Sorta-online multiplayer, single-player VS., Mission Mode, Shine Runners, solo or Team Balloon Battle elimination style.

Prototype

What also nobody seems to be discussing is the lack of Ghost Item in latest mario kart. Kan you believe the salt if you could steal somebodies star when in first.

ya, ghost stealing would have been great. totally forgot about that.

People are still in post launch inertia mode.

ya, and this.

also, Yes I have been in the OT quite a bit. I've brought up a thing or two there and people seem happy to just over look the games faults (right now anyway).

Timeaisis

It's a little light on game modes, surely. But this is nothing new for a Mario Kart, for me.

Mario Kart is one of those series that I can play the same game modes over and over and over again and I don't mind. I would've liked a better battle mode, though. The time trials features, while they don't affect me, I can see people taking issue with.

All things considered, it's still my favorite of the series. Hopefully some DLC can come down that will add some additional features/modes.

Porcile

I'd agree it's not a complete package, but the core gameplay is timeless enough that I can get over the lack of content.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I have talked about MK8's weaknesses several times in the official thread. But my biggest complaint is the lack of modes (both singleplayer and multiplayer). There's just not enough to do (especially since Battle Mode fucking sucks), and just having online doesn't mean a whole lot to me. I prefer local multiplayer, but we get bored of doing the same tracks over and over with no other gameplay types.

SART spoiled me with its career mode.
I really don't understand why they didn't just straight-up copy old battle arenas.

Varg

Banned
Only thing im pissed about is the lack of ability to change my character and vehicle lobby between matches online . For example, if I'm in the GAF lobby and rainbow road comes up, I would have a very different strategy that would require a new vehicle and weight class. Everything else barring the comm errors is great.

Ein Bear

My biggest complaint with MK8 is that the retro-track selection is kind of weak. The new courses are all great though, and more than make up for it.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Only thing im pissed about is the lack of ability to change my character and vehicle lobby between matches online . For example, if I'm in the GAF lobby and rainbow road comes up, I would have a very different strategy that would require a new vehicle and weight class. Everything else barring the comm errors is great.

Same here... My kart is not good in water based maps

King_Moc

Banned
It's been discussed when comparing it to Sonic Transformed. But Mario Kart has always been a multiplayer game first. As long as they nail the gameplay and the tracks then it's all good.

Prototype

OH MY GOD. THIS.

it's really annoying to have to leave a lobby just to change your character or a part on your kart.

EDIT:
and yes, I'm really hoping for DLC (never thought I'd say that) because i'd like a little more everything -- Cups, Battle mode, items, characters, tracks, ect.

wrowa

I felt the same initially, but ever since I started playing online I haven't seen a single reason why I would ever want to go back to single-player content. So I can't say I care.

The lack of easily available time trial ratings are annoying though, since I'm having a small competition with a couple friends and it's just not as smooth as it could be.

Basically how I feel and I feel like SART is the superior game because of the career mode

From a singleplayer perspective, SART is a *far* better game than Mario Kart 8. Multiplayer... I dunno, tough to say for me. My friend and I played SART for months trying to 4-star everything in the career mode, and I'm not sure how long Mario Kart 8 will last us especially since battle mode is a no-go. That was always our go-to mode in previous MKs after we got burned out on racing.

I really don't understand why they didn't just straight-up copy old battle arenas.

Me either. I guess they just ran out of time. I would have preferred a delay personally.

I also think it would have been really cool to have a battle arena be one giant sphere that is completely antigravity.

Broritos

There was always very little fluff in Mario Kart. It's one of the few games where you play for the game and just the game. Nothing else is really needed.

Come on, Mario kart has tried 6 times to beat Crash Team Racing, and to a lessor extent, nitro kart and has never gotten 15% of the way there.

People still think they will somehow make a game with good sp, extra content, balanced carts, etc along WITH good mp? Its not going to happen.

Mario kart is a no game for some quick fun with friends and strangers, it will never be about content and depth along with mp.

With that said, its a fun game.

I do agree that the single player could use more content and the battle mode could use some good tracks, but the core game is just so much fun that I overlook that stuff. It's way better than SART imo.

I'm still 69/90 stamps so no complaints -- yet. Though no arenas is a bummer. With that said, this doesn't feel rushed at all. I still feel like I'm getting a lot of content.

I'm actually glad at how streamlined it is. This is my first MK game but I am really enjoying it. I am also glad that the vehicle stats are behind a button and not always showing on screen. Somehow having them always there just wears me down and I don't feel like playing a game for too long. And the campaign being to the point and without any fancy stat tracking is nice.

I dunno. I am generally tired of video games but I have really been enjoying how "clean" the game is.

The true crime is how they couldn't create a battle mode that's just as simple and beautiful as the SNES or N64 ones. Even copying it + online + voice support would have been heavenly.

Phediuk

I was pretty shocked in the GB Quick Look at how shoddy the Battle Mode was.

That's something I would've expected in some bargain-bin kart racer, not Nintendo's flagship game.

For a console Mario Kart I find that to be less of an issue, but I was very disappointed to hear about MK7 that they removed MKDS's awesome single player mission mode.

That was one of my favorite mode in that game and felt perfect for a handheld Mario Kart. I still haven't gotten around to buying that one yet. :(

mrhej

There are a lot weaknesses to MK8 but the good does outweigh the bad in my opinion. This game is good and the online is fun with no lag whatsoever and that's what I wanted.

Shaanyboi

Banned
They've abandoned mission mode starting with MK Wii. It's super disappointing. That missing, along with the dogshit battle mode, absolutely do come off as a rush job. And I can agree with the complaint about a lack of stat tracking.

The core racing, the tracks, and online are great. But yeah, this game ain't perfect.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I'd agree it's not a complete package, but the core gameplay is timeless enough that I can get over the lack of content.

My answer as well. Yes, game is by no means perfect, but who cares when its just too damn fun?

That said, I hope the next MK has more options and modes to satisfy everyone: worldwide leaderboards, for starters. Plus, it looks GORGEOUS

dralla

It definitely feels a little light on content. It's obvious they needed to get it out to give the Wii U some momentum. The biggest problem I have with it right now is the roster. There are too many clones and some disappointing omissions..where the hell is Diddy Kong? A proper battle mode would've been nice too, but I've always been more into the racing. They could address this through DLC but I'm not sure I trust Nintendo when it comes to anything online related.

The game is f'n gorgeous though. I can't agree on that front.

The_Afroman

Let me blow your mind for a second..

What if Nintendo added a big HUGE patch later??!

*mindblown*

Like a 1.1 patch that added many of these features. I mean they are getting into the DLC purchase world now.. and the WiiU is more than capable of doing this patch (see New Super Mario U - Luigi Expansion)

Would Nintendo do this, seeing how much this game is loved by the community?

After all we are to expect that Nintendo is listening now and willing to change it's ways!

Cipherr

Lol have you read any of the threads? Besides battle mode its the #1 criticism.

Don't confuse people enjoying the game with people thinking its perfect.

DedValve

Banned
Settings & Options.

There are none. Want to change controls? Too bad. Don't like the fact that R AND L DOES NOT USE GAS OR BRAKE? Well fuck you too. Musics too loud? dmcfuckyoufuckyou.gif

The online is also incredibly barebones. I've lost hope that they can ever get this right though so the fact that we have mostly lagless matches is a miracle enough.

akaoni

Banned
Come on, Mario kart has tried 6 times to beat Crash Team Racing, and to a lessor extent, nitro kart and has never gotten 15% of the way there.

People still think they will somehow make a game with good sp, extra content, balanced carts, etc along WITH good mp? Its not going to happen.

Mario kart is a no game for some quick fun with friends and strangers, it will never be about content and depth along with mp.

With that said, its a fun game.

15%, no more, no less.

The_Lump

Banned
Not shitting on your thread but thought given the title it's worth pointing out that I've seen all these flaws and more pointed out in other threads and even in reviews.

I'm not saying these problems aren't worth bringing up again or don't merit their own discussion, but it seems weird to have a thread about their lack of coverage when each of the points you've mentioned have been covered pretty well across the board.

Edit: again, not thread whining as I'm addressing the thread topic (ie: why aren't people mentioning these things. Answer: I though they were?)

McSpidey

I'm actually glad at how streamlined it is. This is my first MK game but I am really enjoying it. I am also glad that the vehicle stats are behind a button and not always showing on screen. Somehow having them always there just wears me down and I don't feel like playing a game for too long. And the campaign being to the point and without any fancy stat tracking is nice.

I dunno. I am generally tired of video games but I have really been enjoying how "clean" the game is.

I'm having (and enjoying) the exact same response to the lack of stats being on by default. I just get to pick a pretty piece of art for my kart but I know the depth is still there if I ever want to become a stat person.

In terms of this topic, the only thing I truly miss is a real battle mode but that's been brought up by pretty much every review I've read too.

It's not really "ignoring" if people are wholeheartedly satisfied with what is available, or view stat tracking as a novelty they'd glance at once.
This.
While I'd greatly enjoy a mission mode in single player(DLC perhaps??), I enjoy the game as it is.
It doesn't feel rushed to me at all. I feel like I'm playing a pretty complete experience. I've really been enjoying the ghost races, Grand Prix, and online racing mode. I think they're really well designed, and I'm very satisfied with what I've got.
I'm not "ignoring it's weaknesses", the game's highs simply outweigh it's lows.

I absolutely love the game, but my oh my it would be PERFECT if it had a bunch of mini-game type challenges or something similar.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
All these were discussed to death in the OTs and even in the info thread existing before the launch. Besides that maybe a lot of people are happy about the fun they get from the game or they fear Luigi's death stare.

Prototype

I would not be surprised if Nintendo announced a Battle Mode DLC at some point. I'd get it.

edit:

Settings & Options.

There are none. Want to change controls? Too bad. Don't like the fact that R AND L DOES NOT USE GAS OR BRAKE? Well fuck you too. Musics too loud? dmcfuckyoufuckyou.gif

The online is also incredibly barebones. I've lost hope that they can ever get this right though so the fact that we have mostly lagless matches is a miracle enough.

agreed.

Top Bottom