• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8's character roster criticised for a lack of skin colour diversity

Status
Not open for further replies.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
So much fail. This couldnt come from a black person, just refuse to believe it.

I wish they'd bring back the old school Daisy

MP3Art.PNG

Mariolee

I wanna play a drinking game where you take a shot for every post that someone doesn't realize it's a parody article.

Crayons

Banned
I can't believe how oppressive the author of this article is being.
Toad and Toadette identify as black and he just misraced them like it's no big deal?

Qurupeke

I can't stand racism but I also can't stand people that see something racist everywhere. You prefer white chocolate, you're racist. Your phone is white, racist.

Seriously, does it even matter that the characters are white? Would it matter if they were black? Or would it matter even if each one was a different colour? People are just stupid...

LQX

Why is it so odd to some that people and especially young people might want to play with someone that looks close to how they look? I find the dismissal of that more odd than Nintendo not having color diversity.

Gartooth

I find it hilarious that Toad and Toadette are included in the argument more than anything. They're humanoid toadstools, of course their appearance (including color) would resemble that. XD

Foshy

While I agree that the Mario series could use more racial diversity in their human characters, a review of MK8 isn't really the place to open up this kind of discussion. Also calling Toad and Toadette human is just what.
Exactly.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
okay, ya know what, I'll give them this one.

Less Mario Kart per se, but this franchise is so globally recognizable, popular, and most important, young, that they do have an opportunity to be more open-minded racially with their characters. There's a new kingdom or some such in like every main game, why not add in some more racial exposure. They are behind Disney even in this regard, which is kind of sad.

Crayons

Banned
Why is it so odd to some that people and especially young people might want to play with someone that looks close to how they look? I find the dismissal of that more odd than Nintendo not having color diversity.

If people are playing Mario games to find someone who looks close to them I would be very concerned

Lebon14

And then if you include a dark-skinned caracther, you get racism because of said caracther.
Really, there's no way to make people happy.

Also. This. Is. Just. A. Video game. It's NOT reality. (No sh*t Sherlock, I know)

Am I the only one who thinks he kinda has a point? I mean it's not something to get offended about, but the Mario cast could stand to be a bit more racially diverse.

-MB-

They can use their personal Mii as character in the game, is that not enough?

MicH

They can play as their Mii if they want to identify themselves with their character

jaypah

I'm usually pretty keen on diversity issues in games but the racial makeup of the greater-Marioverse (Mario, DK, Yoshi + spinoffs) has never crossed my mind.

Yeah. I notice it in other places (and have no problem talking about it) but never really thought about the Mario universe that way. I just...don't care really.

Popnbake

Why is it so odd to some that people and espcally young people might want to play with someone that looks close to how they look? I find the dismissal of that more odd than Nintendo not having color diversity.

Well there is an option to play as your Mii.

But it is a topic to consider when the humanoid characters in the Mario series can all be seen as white in the game.

Zing

Banned
I can't believe a human spent precious moments of their extremely short life to write such an article.

Perhaps the Mushroom Kingdom doesn't have skin color? Only Mario and Luigi are from the real world. This criticism is dumb. Whoever made it is also dumb. Also, Miis can be any skin.

While I agree that the Mario series could use more racial diversity in their human characters, a review of MK8 isn't really the place to open up this kind of discussion. Also calling Toad and Toadette human is just what.

You summed up my thoughts on this pretty well.

Am I the only one who thinks he kinda has a point? I mean it's not something to get offended about, but the Mario cast could stand to be a bit more racially diverse.

You just can't force it though or you'll look contrived and silly.

I don't think Nintendo would be against having a black character or some other race but to me, it doesn't seem like it'd be that simple without either looking unnatural(too PC) or without people clowning on them for it.

JordanN

Banned
Funny, I was thinking today how many non-white characters Nintendo made. The closest I could think of was that one gym leader from Pokemon (Lenora).

Edit: As usual, some people can't focus on the issue instead of making light of it.

Kinsei

Banned
Perhaps the Mushroom Kingdom doesn't have skin color? Only Mario and Luigi are from the real world. This criticism is dumb. Whoever made it is also dumb. Also, Miis can be any skin.

According to Yoshi's Island DS people of color exist in the world of Mario.

Stolen_Babies_-_Yoshi%27s_Island_DS.png

Yes. Especially when choosing to fight that battle in this situation can hinder such an argument where it matters more. Nintendo needs to diversify more period but as Mario Kart takes its roster from other games, they need to start with those other games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom