• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8's character roster criticised for a lack of skin colour diversity

Status
Not open for further replies.

javac

AzjXB2N.gif
Fixed.

The only (maybe) black character in the Mario universe I can think of is Il Piantissimo.

Ilpiantissimo.jpg

EDIT: Beaten by a couple posts, but mine is at the top of the page!

Zomba13

There was Piantissimo from Sunshine.

RWuVGgL.jpg

I wouldn't mind him being included (though I think his time has passed :( ).

But yeah, the Japanese men and women at Nintendo are obviously super racist by only having white characters in this. They obviously don't want people playing as black person or an Asian person.

What do they expect? Black Mario? I... What?

Why not? There is black Jesus, black Santa Claus? What makes Nintendo so special? This is one of the reasons why Nintendo is struggling right now. They're stuck in the bubble.

In case anyone is wondering, I wasn't serious

Buzzman

Banned
I find it fascinating how we've had a sudden burst of racial/gender diversity threads here in the last week, what happened?

But honestly, some diversity in the Mario universe wouldn't hurt.

According to Yoshi's Island DS people of color exist in the world of Mario.

Stolen_Babies_-_Yoshi%27s_Island_DS.png

I never played that game. Then again, someone brought up Sunshine which had a black character. They should have added II Piantissimo to the roster instead of millions of babies.

Tak3n

Banned
the internet just plain amazes me sometimes

we see it with thread after thread, people go through the game looking for the smallest things to complain about..

it's a game, it is not meant to be real life ...when do you see Bowser racing down your street

You don't!

next we will be getting threads about religions not being in games!

Zomba13

I find it fascinating how we've had a sudden burst of racial/gender diversity threads here in the last week, what happened?

But honestly, some diversity in the Mario universe wouldn't hurt.

Nintendo being insensitive to non-whites and non-straights.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Casey Malone is a game designer, comedian and freelance writer living in Boston. He has dibs on Shyguy, please respect the rule of dibs, thank you.

Guys I don't think he's being serous about this, but on the off chance he is then he's a terrible reviewer for trying and failing to shoehorn his agenda into his review.

Ahhhh, Mai Wafiu is so hot.

I wish they'd bring back the old school Daisy

MP3Art.PNG

Pretty sure that's Princess Peach during her brunette days.

I have to believe that the reviewer wrote that into the review just to get more people to look at his work. Congrats, it worked! To bad its better to be relatively unknown and produce good work than it is to do subpar work by manufacturing a controversy for your ego.

eXistor

Christ almighty, seriously? I'm just out of the FC4 thread and now this shit? I m all for equality, but people are just all over the place with their targets here.

I don't think being able to play as your Mii address the issue of having characters people of differing ethnic groups can relate to through similarity because that's just an abstraction of the person playing. Also, Nintendo could easily add new characters to the roster that only show up in this game; anyone remember Plum from Mario Golf N64? (There were some other characters, but no one remembers any of them)

Porcile

I'd be more offended if they just stuck a random black or Asian character in there for no reason other than to have a black or Asian character.

Tak3n

Banned
oh and I mean no offence to anyone

Here in the UK we are always getting told how the one thing you notice when you go to the states is how over weight most of the population is...

well how come these reviewers don't pick on games where 90% are slim people hey?

I never see them moaning that most of the people in game should be fat!

But Mario Kart is made by Nintendo, and developed by a predominantly Japanese team. If anything you'd expect there to be Japanese characters in their game. If anything, we should be applauding them for including characters of another race, like Italians, because that is the unexpected thing for them to do.

If you count out the babies (who are really just younger versions of existing characters) there's only 6 human representatives.

Edit: 7 human representatives. I'm sure everyone else for about Waluigi too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom