• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam Bros. out on December 4th in Europe

ZeroX03

Banned
I'm down for the 10th, no crossover with Xenoblade. :D

I think just Nintendo titles for me for the rest of the year too...

as usual, NoA is last for everything.

Yokai Watch, Kirby and I'm pretty sure more games have released weeks/months later in Europe this year. Everyone has the right to a Nintendo pity party.

KaneU

This is really sudden, I wasn't expecting it before February of next year... I have yet to start playing the previous 3DS game, I got it on e-shop sale a couple of months ago.

Madao

Good one. Everyone gets their turn. There is no "as usual" ...

most of the games i'm interested have been the ones NoA has been last while almost none of the ones they put before NoE have interested me.

why can't they just do same date like with other releases such as SMM and Splatoon?

TheMoon

most of the games i'm interested have been the ones NoA has been last while almost none of the ones they put before NoE have interested me.

why can't they just do same date like with other releases such as SMM and Splatoon?

Because with those non-tentpole games, they're filling their calendar as needed. Plus sometimes it's a matter of localization priority or whatever. Win some, lose some.

gerudoman

Cool one more for the trade pile :p

I'd give it a try at least. Everybody seems to hate because it's no TTYD and because of its extremely limited battle system, but if you play it with an open mind you'll find a pretty good game with some of the best level design the series has seen. Its major flaw for me was the lack of charismatic characters, the plot is non existent but that's not that bad considering it's a Mario game.

eXistor

I love the M&L games, but Dream Team was the worst along with Partners in Time. They draaaaaagged so much. DT had no right to be 60 hours long. Cut it down to 20 or 30 at the most and it should help the game immensely.

Also isn't it about time for a M&L/Paper Mario X Zelda? Now that would be an interesting game and it'll sell better than Paper Jam I'm sure.

Still curious to see what Paper Jam is gonna end up being though. I'm a staunch defender of Sticker Star so the Paper Mario brand isn't tarnished in my eyes.

JonnyKong

Great news! I think this will be the perfect Christmas game. I didn't have anything else lined up for December so this will do nicely.

maxcriden

Whoa, lightning fast localization on this one. I wonder if it's not quite as lengthy as Dream Team? No great reason to really think that, though. As to NA, I can see unfortunately how with Yo-kai and Pokémon SMD it will be less likely for this to come out still this year. Hopefully by March at the latest, though?

P.S. the M&L games never went downhill. 😊

Times like these I am still glad I got a European 3DS. Guess January 2016 for US.

I don't think NOA does January or June releases typically, unfortunately.

Robin64

Think I'll wait a week or so on this one and see how many people on here are crying about tutorials. If it's as bad as Dream Team, I'm out. A puzzle isn't a puzzle if you tell us how to solve it every time.

maxcriden

Think I'll wait a week or so on this one and see how many people on here are crying about tutorials. If it's as bad as Dream Team, I'm out. A puzzle isn't a puzzle if you tell us how to solve it every time.

It really, really was not that bad at all. The game was 55+ hours and the tutorials were mainly in the first ten hours. The game would teach you how to use a mechanic and then set you free to solve puzzles using that mechanic. It was no more pronounced than in a console Zelda game, or in many, many other Nintendo games.

Robin64

It really, really was not that bad at all. The game was 55+ hours and the tutorials were mainly in the first ten hours. The game would teach you how to use a mechanic and then set you free to solve puzzles using that mechanic. It was no more pronounced than in a console Zelda game, or in many, many other Nintendo games.

No, sorry, I can't agree. If it wasn't that bad, there wouldn't be such a commotion about it.

And come on, even at the end of the game it's still telling you what to do. "That floor looks weak! Maybe jump on it and see what happens!" Don't need that crap, if the floor looks weak that's enough.

Schlomo

Yes, the tutorial complaints have been way overblown. It didn't feel much different to me than the previous game.

@MUWANdo

Banned

I want to say that the reports from E3 said the tutorials they encountered all came with a yes/no prompt that let them opt out before they began, but don't quote me on that.

Yes, the tutorial complaints have been way overblown. It didn't feel much different to me than the previous game.
Pretty much. I played the whole series recently and the series is pretty tutorial heavy. The reports of it being slippage in this game is huge.
Dream Team is one of my favorites.

Katsuragi

I've thoroughly enjoyed all Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi games (apart from Partners in Time, which I still need to play), so I'm really looking forward to Paper Jam Bros. I don't think NoA will release it this year, though. They seem to be focused on pushing Yo-Kai Watch as their next big 3DS release after Tri Force Heroes.

WillyFive

is it me or do the Paper Mario characters seem to have a Paper Mario 1 charm to them in the artwork? They look a little stockier like on the N64 cover.

They seem to have the same line work as their TTYD redesigns, but I agree they look better than usual. Maybe because they are shown next to their M&L designs?

suaveric

I can't believe NOA would want to release this and FE Fates early next year. So either Paper Mario is going to get a surprise December release as well or Fates probably won't be out until the summer :(

I can't believe NOA would want to release this and FE Fates early next year. So either Paper Mario is going to get a surprise December release as well or Fates probably won't be out until the summer :(
Fates in summer is probably realistic because If has lots of text and dubbing.

MrBadger

Huh, that's soon! I'll probably put it off until Christmas unless I get really desperate.

I'm with you on Dream Team not being bad. I will say the tutorials were bad and often unnecessary, but the mechanics themselves were fun when the game left you alone to use them. It's a great game that's unfortunately weighed down by being a bit too long and having lengthy tutorials. Definitely has some of my favourite battle mechanics in the series. And the best music.

Hoping some of the Paper Mario 1 & 2 partymembers make a small cameo atleast.

Not holding my breath. Starlow is the only thing we've seen that isn't commonplace in the Mario platformers.

Dominator

I really wish Nintendo would capitalize on their "Paper" franchise, it doesn't have to always be Mario. Just like Yarn didn't stick to Kirby, I think there can be really cool games using their other properties.

Still, I'm excited for this game, I hope they've learned from Dream Team.

ar4757

I was bracing myself for the tutorials in Dream Team which I played a couple months ago but I was happy to see it was no worse then the previous entries. Every time I got a new ability, I would expect no less but a tutorial.

Skipping them in Paper Jam will be great though

Why do NoE keep adding 'Bros' to the end of this series titles?
I want to go back and add bros to the other titles:
Superstar Saga Bros
Partners in Time Bros
Bowser's Inside Story Bros

"Sorry we can't get Yokai Watch localized into EFIGS in time. Here, take this instead! -NOE"
That implies the Yo pie what anime is airing in Germany, France, Spain, Italy (I honestly don't know if that is the case). There will be no game launch until that happens judging by Inazuma Eleven (hopefully without the whole "but you UK plebs can wait 6 months for don't give a fuck, cut my nose to spite my rivals Disney XD to air and drop the series after a few weeks",< on the other hand some countries had the game launch before the anime, game bombed and then once anime aired demand surged out of nowhere).

I also though Style Boutique was the apology game. I guess that wasn't enough...

MrBadger

I was bracing myself for the tutorials in Dream Team which I played a couple months ago but I was happy to see it was no worse then the previous entries. Every time I got a new ability, I would expect no less but a tutorial.

Skipping them in Paper Jam will be great though

I think the deal with the tutorials is that we get this whole thing about Starlow coming out, examining the thing and being like "hmmmmmmmm maybe you could use this? press the button to switch to Luigi. Good! Now press B to merge with the object!"

Just like, this unnecessary load of text which amounts to telling you how to use a very simple mechanic. Didn't turn me off the game, but often you can tell what an object does just by looking at it.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Ysssssssssss, this is one of the game that I was looking forward to play.

as usual, NoA is last for everything.

-Kirby and the Rainbow curse
-Super Pokémon Mystery Dungeon
-Yo-Kai Watch
-Chibi-Robo Zip Lash
-Sin and Punishment on Wii U virtual console

You guys got those game before us, but sure continue posting how you guys are last for everything.

Not like it gets annoying in every European related thread. ¬_¬;

I think the deal with the tutorials is that we get this whole thing about Starlow coming out, examining the thing and being like "hmmmmmmmm maybe you could use this? press the button to switch to Luigi. Good! Now press B to merge with the object!"

Just like, this unnecessary load of text which amounts to telling you how to use a very simple mechanic. Didn't turn me off the game, but often you can tell what an object does just by looking at it.

This pretty much, the tutorials just slows down the gameplay which can get annoying as the course of the game goes on.

Its not just the tutorials. The whole game is just really fuckin talky. Anything that could be said in one sentence will be three. Even when the localization and humor is good, you're mashing through like fuuuuck let me just play the fuckin video game.

I think that the complaint is valid. You know why they do that? Because gamers today cannot figure anything out for themselves. Remember when Super Metroid came to Wii U and the posts of people asking how to do the most basic crap? If you want to get mad at anything, get mad at the fact that new gamers do not have the patience to figure out things on their own.

Top Bottom