• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle is Switch's best-selling non-Nintendo game

HeroR

j1vzHQz.gif

I love this Gif. I wasn't even planning to buy this game, but the passion behind it won me over.

I have no regrets.

HeroR

I'm thoroughly impressed that a strategy game sold so well. Even though I love the genre, I had thought it was slightly niche. I wonder if this could convince Square to get off their asses and make another Final Fantasy Tactics (Advance?) game.

Fire Emblem became big with Awakening and those games are far more hardcore, especially if you play Classic.

CookTrain

On the other hand... Mario game sells gangbusters on Nintendo Platform :p

Kudos to Ubisoft for hitting it out of the park.

WestEgg

Can someone help me understand this.

We only know that it is the best selling non-Nintendo game, but no numbers yet. It may or may not have sold first party games like Arms or 1-2 Switch. I could see that being the case actually, but certainly not MK8D, Zelda, or Splatoon.

Mory Dunz

Probably meant to type it outsold 1-2 and ARMS, but not Spla2n or BotW. Which makes logical sense.

not that it did, but that it was possible.

imo, that'd be pretty unrealistic to outsell either of those this quickly, (and without japan). Maybe in a few months

Salvadora

I don't think this would be a particularly high bar to pass given the state of 3rd party support on Switch.

Very curious about the numbers.

correojon

I love this Gif. I wasn't even planning to buy this game, but the passion behind it won me over.

I have no regrets.

Same here, the whole story behind those tears completely turned my perception of the game. And boy, was I wrong, I´m having a blast with it and enjoying every second, the game´s filled with cool small details everywhere.

That said, this game is the least third-party a game could be.

WestEgg

Keep in mind we don't know what Sonic Mania did since it was digital only. It's multiplat, but I could see that having outsold Rabbids.

Celine

It's a Ubisoft game (both as far as developer and publisher) but it's also very Nintendo in sensibility.
Ubisoft Milan did a fantastic job.

Ōkami

Pretty sure its actually Bomberman.

M+R isn't out in most of Asia, were Bomberman was one of the forced bundle games, and also sales of Minecraft are outright unknown.

Maybe best selling third party Switch game in the US.

Griss

I just bought it yesterday.

What a weird, delightful little game. It's so strange playing a Mario game that feels nothing like a Nintendo game - this game is Ubisoft to its very core; from the UI to thethe animation to dialogue / humour etc. Fortunately I actually love me some Ubisoft, so it suits me to a tee.

Totally deserved success.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

Yeah the biggest compliment you can give M+R is that it looks, feels and plays like a first party Nintendo game. I hope this level of execution opens doors to future crazy crossovers.

HeroR

Same here, the whole story behind those tears completely turned my perception of the game. And boy, was I wrong, I´m having a blast with it and enjoying every second, the game´s filled with cool small details everywhere.

Seriously. I honestly kept forgetting Ubisoft made it. Then again, I don't think I ever bought a Ubisoft game.

I can't believe a strategy game featuring the Mario and Rabbids IPs together would even exist, let alone become one of my favorite Switch games so far.

Definitely well deserved.

WestEgg

Zero chance digital Sonic mania outsold Rabbids.

Maybe I'm overestimating the appeal of classic Sonic, but it seemed to have a ton of hype for it and the it cost 1/3 the price. I'm not saying it did, and I absolutely adored Mario + Rabbids, but it seems like it should have sold extremely well.

lucius

That is good it is a great game but there is zero chance I would have bought the game without Mario and other Nintendo characters in it.

Maybe I'm overestimating the appeal of classic Sonic, but it seemed to have a ton of hype for it and the it cost 1/3 the price. I'm not saying it did, and I absolutely adored Mario + Rabbids, but it seems like it should have sold extremely well.
If Sonic Mania had a physical version then I'd probably agree with you.

AzaK

I honestly haven't had as much fun with a game in a very, very long time. I'm so glad I took the plunge. Beats anything on Switch so far (Zelda aside) by a mile. And even though I adore Zelda, I feel more compelled to go back to M+R than Zelda on a daily basis.

I'm hoping for a sequel, one hopefully with more features, like the ability to make your own maps and the ability to freely shoot or sentry any square you want as opposed to only being able to target enemies (my biggest complaint about the game).

Oh, and better menus! lol.

But I'm super happy the game did well, because it is actually really good. I would gladly buy a sequel.

So the trick is to include Mario in your 'non-Nintendo' game...
This.

It’s not weird to see all those mario thingies in other switch games, like minecraft, rocket l., skyrim etc.

No mario / nintendo character, no sale for Nintendo buyers.

It’s becoming a bad habit.

This.

It’s not weird to see all those mario thingies in other switch games, like minecraft, rocket l., skyrim etc.

So why did USF2 and Bomberman R sell?

Unless you're being sarcastic.

tolkir

Ōkami;249569835 said:
Pretty sure its actually Bomberman.

M+R isn't out in most of Asia, were Bomberman was one of the forced bundle games, and also sales of Minecraft are outright unknown.

Maybe best selling third party Switch game in the US.

Yep, Eurogamer has jumped a little earlier here I think. Minecraft is top 5 on each eShop since release (Japan included).

I honestly haven't had as much fun with a game in a very, very long time. I'm so glad I took the plunge. Beats anything on Switch so far (Zelda aside) by a mile. And even though I adore Zelda, I feel more compelled to go back to M+R than Zelda on a daily basis.

Yo I'm pumped you actually got it. I had a feeling you would like it. It's actually probably the best Switch game. I like Zelda more but it's multiplat

HeroR

This.

Nitpick, Skyrim has Zelda, not Mario. And that's a falsehood that Nintendo fans won't buy games without Nintendo characters. Case in point Bomberman R and Street Fighter.

Kevinroc

It's definitely an odd game. Its success is well deserved, but it feels a bit odd that M+R is the Switch's best selling non-Nintendo game because, you know, Mario and co. are in it.

Top Bottom