• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle is Switch's best-selling non-Nintendo game

BizzyBum

Best selling "non-Nintendo" game that's basically a Nintendo game. =P

But it's well deserved, game is awesome. This game wasn't even on my radar and I didn't pick it up at launch but my brother recently bought it and let me try it and 50 hours later I have a 100% save file with the season pass downloaded.

Yes. Companies can buy into their data and analysis services, but sign an NDA that forbids them from sharing exact numbers (unless you are the owner of the product you are divulging, of course, so Nintendo can reveal Switch numbers etc.), but allows general reports like this.

Thank you! So that's why NPD is always cited for weird comparisons but never sourced...

Falchion

It's the only non-Nintendo game that I absolutely want to play on the Switch so far so that makes perfect sense.

Schnozberry

I knew immediately after the reveal they had won everybody over. The skepticism that surrounded the leaked information evaporated almost instantly.

See, Ubisoft, this is how one is rewarded for recognizing there is an audience for a Third Way that is neither Assassin's Creed nor Just Dance.

This record is for physical sales, of course, and in total I wonder how it's stacking up next to the likes of Minecraft.

Yogg

And well deserved! I've had way more fun than expected playing this. And I can't wait for the DLC (never thought I'd ever say that).

ghibli99

Most pleasant surprise of the year for me. I expected BOTW to be great, I expect SMO to be great, but never thought after that initial reveal that I would be sitting here thinking M+R is also great, and will be in my top 5, if not my top 3, for 2017. Very well-deserved, and I hope this continues to inspire the team at Ubisoft. They have a hit franchise on their hands here, and a sequel could bring so many more new mechanics, tweaks, and build upon the already excellent formula.

Ferrio

Banned
Because it stars Nintendo characters in a Nintendo universe?

Sounds to me people don't wanna give credit where credit is due. Ubisoft could have just as easily taken the Mario characters/universe are made a piece of shit, like Sticker Star.

carlsojo

Sounds to me people don't wanna give credit where credit is due. Ubisoft could have just as easily taken the Mario characters/universe are made a piece of shit, like Sticker Star.

I'm not saying it isn't great! Just I can see why people might not consider it a third party.

DMONKUMA

That doesn't really matter. It was developed and published solely by Ubisoft. Thus it's not a Nintendo game, it's a Ubisoft game.

By your logic ARMS isn't a Nintendo game.

Uhhhhh arms wouldn't be used as example because those are Nintendo characters.

On topic, great news. Definitely my favorite game on the Switch.

What other game would it be if not this game?

But God damn I love this game. I'm on the lava world now and I catch myself actually finding ways to procrastinate doing the world because I don't want the game to end. For me that's a sign that I love a game.

Hope we get a sequel with exploration that's a little bit less rigid.

Uhhhhh arms wouldn't be used as example because those are Nintendo characters.

ARMS doesn't use established Nintendo characters in an established Nintendo universe. The only reason anyone considers them to be Nintendo characters is because Nintendo developed the game.

Anyway this is off-topic, I'm sure plenty of people who bought this did think it was a Nintendo developed/published game, but it totally fits the criteria of a third party game in reality.

DMONKUMA

ARMS doesn't use established Nintendo characters in an established Nintendo universe. The only reason anyone considers them to be Nintendo characters is because Nintendo developed the game.

Anyway this is off-topic, I'm sure plenty of people who bought this did think it was a Nintendo developed/published game, but it totally fits the criteria of a third party game in reality.

I'm sorry that still doesn't make sense to me. But whatever I guess....

Haha it made sense to me but I guess it's a bit confusing. Anyway it's off topic and unimportant.

OT: I'm still confused about how Eurogamer got to this conclusion without seeing numbers from outside of the US and especially Japan. Either way it's nice to see this game selling well.

It must be doing good at retail as well as on the eshop, every time I look online to see what's new on my switch this game is usually in the second or third slot, sonic mania in first.

Blam

j1vzHQz.gif

This is what got me his passion for making games. Especially since this would have been a first for Ubi and Nintendo.

Ridley327

Haha it made sense to me but I guess it's a bit confusing. Anyway it's off topic and unimportant.

OT: I'm still confused about how Eurogamer got to this conclusion without seeing numbers from outside of the US and especially Japan. Either way it's nice to see this game selling well.
Well, the numbers are easy to figure out in Japan right now, as it's releasing in January.

Madao

tbh, a lot of people who got this probably think it's a Nintendo game.

only in forums like this people know it's made by a 3rd party.

Well, the numbers are easy to figure out in Japan right now, as it's releasing in January.

I meant numbers from all third party games, including Bomberman. Like, is this article saying that the NA and AUS sales of Mario + Rabbids are greater than the worldwide sales of every other game, including Super Bomberman R which was the previously highest?

I'm not saying it isn't great! Just I can see why people might not consider it a third party.

Why? Those people would be flat out wrong. The game is developed by Ubisoft, not Nintendo. Ubisoft is not owned by Nintendo, therefore it cannot be a first-party developer. It's not second-party either.

I don't really see how it's confusing/misleading/disingenuous. It's a third-party game.

pixelation

I am interested in the game, it looks gorgeous but... that battle system looks like a chore. I don't think i'd ever be able to get into it.

Fliesen

I am interested in the game, it looks gorgeous but... that battle system looks like a chore. I don't think i'd ever be able to get into it.

It's very close to being a puzzle game, rather than a pure tactics game.
It's all about using each move to create the best "combo" with regards to: dealing damage with the moves you're given and setting yourself up in a favourable position for the next move.

It's a fantastic game and absolutely deserves the success.
It fits the Switch's whole hybrid paradigm to a T.

pixelation

It's very close to being a puzzle game, rather than a pure tactics game.
It's all about using each move to create the best "combo" with regards to: dealing damage with the moves you're given and setting yourself up in a favourable position for the next move.

It's a fantastic game and absolutely deserves the success.
It fits the Switch's whole hybrid paradigm to a T.

But how hard is it?, i think i've heard people say that it's hard?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
But how hard is it?, i think i've heard people say that it's hard?

There are a few difficulty bumps. Most think the start of world 3 is the biggest jump, I thought it was w4. But even then I got mostly perfects. This is not a genre I normally touch, but I never had much trouble. If you find a setup that works, you can nail pretty much any battle. There are a few characters and abilities that make things a lot easier.

JaynePea

I'm really glad at this news. This game absolutely deserved it. It's full of love from developers who clearly have huge respect for the Mario franchise and have grown up to love it, and I hope the team, or even other developers at Ubisoft, get to continue having fun with Nintendo's franchises.

jariw

That doesn't really matter. It was developed and published solely by Ubisoft. Thus it's not a Nintendo game, it's a Ubisoft game.

It's a game by Ubisoft, but wasn't there a developer history video (don't remember the source) about the game that said that Ubisoft had daily contact with Nintendo during development of the game?

Brizzo24

I now own three physical switch games, and I've had my console since launch day.

Zelda
MK8
M+R

I didn't get Rabbids on day one. I actually waited for impressions since i wasn't sure a strategy game was for me. Turns out i love it, and am really enjoying my play though so far. I'm on world 3, towards the middle.

I've also gone back and perfected world 1 and 2's story though i mustered 18/20 of the challenges. Can't beat
quantum leap
:(

Gartooth

Congrats to the development team behind this! There was passion just oozing from this game, and it really feels like something Nintendo themselves made. I still can't believe that an X-Com game with Rabbids is tied with TTYD for my favorite Mario RPG!

Also props to the marketing team at Ubisoft who managed to completely reverse the negativity from the leaks. Here's hoping to M+R 2 after they do the season pass!

Top Bottom