• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mark Cuban: NBA should push back 3-point line to allow for more offensive diversity

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

Want to make the game more interesting to watch?

When the clock hits 2:00 at the end of a game, take away all timeouts except for 2. The last minute of a game shouldn't take 20 minutes real-time.

That would help.

Plus end back to backs.
Shorten the season
Bring back best of 5 for the first round of the playoffs

This more is better has really hurt the NBA product. The NBA treats their fans like crap with the back to back stuff. Who wants to see tired players?

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
It's not just Curry, this suggestion has come up occasionally and people have disliked the 3 point line since it was introduced. Complaints just get louder when it's used more. The past ten years have the ten highest number of 3 pointers attempted in league history. The real "problem" is that after decades professional teams have finally accepted that a three point shot is more efficient than a two point shot in many situations. It certainly changed the way the game is played and along with a generally larger and more athletic player base has de-emphasized the traditional inside players. A giant center in the middle isn't really enough any more because there's often a guy who is 4 inches shorter but can play three positions on the floor.

You would have to widen the court then.

Imagine the costs. Not everyone is a billionaire.

A larger pro court is often suggested with three point line changes, it would accomplish a lot of the same goals.

Future

That would help.

Plus end back to backs.
Shorten the season
Bring back best of 5 for the first round of the playoffs

This more is better has really hurt the NBA product. The NBA treats their fans like crap with the back to back stuff. Who wants to see tired players?

Tired players will usually result in having a bad bench that can't relieve stars properly. I'm not sure that's a bad thing

It would be nice to see some change for the final 2 minutes though. I think it's fouls that slow hints down more than timeouts though

Gorillaz

Too early to even have that discussion that is obviously centered around Curry. It is funny because the reason they moved it closer all those years ago was to make it more attractive to people.

Curry's high percentage of 3s will obviously have a big impact on recruiting and the young classes coming up so for right now I think they should wait it out first before making that decision.

Hard

Banned
Curry dickriders please leave

I want a show of everyone who's known who Steph Curry was before 2012

/s

this is like the hack rule lmao

I say leave it alone. It's kind of a meta thing. The rise of analytics has led to this trend of increased 3's across the league, but I think we're approaching critical mass with it- meaning we've kind of hit the point of diminishing returns on the mathematical advantage of the amount of 3's being taken.

Plus, the corner 3 is the one that all teams covet the most and you can't really extend that one without extending the court, which brings other issues along with it.

Anth0ny

/s

I was there watching and marking out during his crazy run with davidson!

Mashing

I know that, and I've said it a few times in this thread that this rule would make Curry even more dominating. I just see others trashing his game in other threads and other places and I think that's ridiculous.

The only thing that I hate about the Warriors are their propensity for illegal screens. Seriously, they get away with more illegal screens than the rest of the NBA combined. It is a factor in why they are so dominate.

Vyer

For people wondering more about the reasoning of this, here's a Grantland article from a couple years ago that discusses it.

"Nerf Steph Curry"

Hey Cuban, Curry will go out of his prime in 5 or so years so stop worrying about this shit. Just enjoy the Supernova!

Curry putting fear in to the NBA

Something tells me he wouldn't be saying this if Curry was on his team.

Fuck this guy

He can't stop Curry anyways

How would this hurt Curry?

braves01

Banned
They should just get rid of it like in the old school era. Guys who shoot from range would still be an asset, but it wouldn't be the N3A any more like it it today.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Yeah, and it's terrible bullshit and about half the reason I stopped watching basketball for a while.

ya know.. the top 50 scorers in the league don't really get fouled any more often than they did 25 years ago. Harden and Boogie are outliers, but James gets fouled about as much as MJ, Barkley, and such. The value of the free throw has actually gone down within this group due to the massive increase in three point shooting.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Probably would push the 3 pt arc out to about 25 ft; get rid of corner 3s.

As for Curry - ever since that Davidson run in the NCAA tournament you knew this could potentially happen. Curry would be one of the happiest campers of this, since it would basically leave his 3pt percentage untouched, but hit the rest of the league harder.

bachikarn

Why not just make it so how many points a shot is worth is directly proportional to how to how far away it was taken? Then every shot on the court would have equal value. That would give true diversification.

So basically layup would be worth about 1 point, a mid range jumper would be worth about 2, and the longer shots would be worth 3,4,5, or more points. This is basically what happens with passing in football. The farther the throw, the more yards you get.

I know this is an insane proposal, but I'd be curious what the impact on the game would be.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Why not just make it so how many points a shot is worth is directly proportional to how to how far away it was taken? Then every shot on the court would have equal value. That would give true diversification.

So basically layup would be worth about 1 point, a mid range jumper would be worth about 2, and the longer shots would be worth 3,4,5, or more points. This is basically what happens with passing in football. The farther the throw, the more yards you get.

I know this is an insane proposal, but I'd be curious what the impact on the game would be.

Find the average length of shot over the course of the game and make that 1. All shots closer are assigned a value of 1-0 with 0 being under the basket (scoop shots from the baseline are negative points), and the other end of the court is a maximum of 2.

Imagine leading a game by 0.7842 points and then Curry hits a shot from half court and all the baskets are recalculated spontaneously at the buzzer!

boiled goose

good with gravy
Constant 3s make the game boring. No drives. No paint game. No midrange jumpers.

Im not sure if this is the solution, but something should be considered.

JoeFu

Banned
Why do people say he wants to nerf Curry? He never brought up his name and I'm sure he knows Steph wouldn't be affected. He even says it would reward more skilled players...

boiled goose

good with gravy
Find the average length of shot over the course of the game and make that 1. All shots closer are assigned a value of 1-0 with 0 being under the basket (scoop shots from the baseline are negative points), and the other end of the court is a maximum of 2.

Imagine leading a game by 0.7842 points and then Curry hits a shot from half court and all the baskets are recalculated spontaneously at the buzzer!

Except the game is most interesting with drives and in the paint. You want to encourage that, not just long distance shooting.

Defense is interesting because you want to defend jumpers and drives not just let people go by you.

In football corners have to defend short slot passes and the deep ball. Yards are not points.

/s

Oh come on...He's been known since college. His Davidson run is NCAA lore...

Why do people say he wants to nerf Curry? He never brought up his name and I'm sure he knows Steph wouldn't be affected. He even says it would reward more skilled players...

I dunno why he'd think moving the line back would nerf Curry. Curry would be the only player unaffected.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Except the game is most interesting with drives and in the paint. You want to encourage that, not just long distance shooting.

Defense is interesting because you want to defend jumpers and drives not just let people go by you.

In football corners have to defend short slot passes and the deep ball. Yards are not points.

I'm obviously just kidding.

pigeon

Banned

The best part of this idea is that it is possible for you to score a basket and make your team lose points. In multiple different ways!

To the topic, I think it makes sense to observe that 3s have become a dominant strategy (or maybe people just figured out they were a dominant strategy) and do something to change that. I'm not convinced that this change does that, though.

pointspershot_11521.jpg

If you look at this graph, pushing that line back doesn't make 3s not the most efficient shot on the floor (not counting layups). There's just a huge sea change right at the line. The point of equilibrium is so far back it's not depicted.

If anything, this graph suggests that if you want more midrange game, you should move the 3 point line INWARDS. Shooting anywhere inside that line except for right under the basket is basically a bad idea -- the whole area is a desert. Giving 3 even closer to the basket would enable midrange players to matter.

Meh I enjoy the increased emphasis on three points. In my mind it makes the game more exciting to watch.

If anything needs to change it's hack-a-payer and timeouts/penalties in the last two minutes. Both are painful to watch.

jwhit28

I actually agree. If only because it should deter players that shouldn't be taking 3's from doing so and open up for more of the cuts, back screens and other stuff that makes watching tea,s like the Spurs so beautiful. The 3 point snipers would still be just as effective. It's guys like Dion Waiters, Nick Young, Brandon Knight, etc. that need to give it up and have more room to operate under the 3 line would help.

Nowadays everyone chucks up a 3 because their 2pt fg% and ft% suck, so it makes sense from a numbers point of view.

I'm all for moving the line back so it would be like back in the old days where only the real sharpshooters would shoot 3s and other players would get in trouble from the coach if they did.

BumRush

I'll admit, it's not a terrible idea. Outside of a few teams and players, basketball isn't what it was 10+ years ago (in my opinion). I'm not sure this will solve it but they should be open to anything.

What they really need to do is make the court bigger but that won't happen cause of courtside seats.

NBA has a huge problem with new talent though and probably needs to look into a real minor league system cause AAU circuit and CBB aren't developung kids anymore.

any actual data? I feel like there are more 3's made in today's game. Maybe it just seems that way not sure at all on the numbers.

From page one:

3point1.jpg

More are being made in total, but percentages are going down because the analytics have lulled most of the league into a trap.

If you look at the Grantland graph a few posts up, it makes it appear as if the thing to be doing is jacking up 3's all game. But there are a few important points that this data can't address:

1.) Not all 3's are created equally. Contested 3's are generally not good shots to take for people not named Curry, Thompson, Durant or Lillard.

2.) Not all open 3's are created equally. A lot of bricks get thrown up by low percentage shooters just because they're wide open. They're wide open for a reason. These players need to either swing the ball or put the ball on the floor and stress the opponent's defensive core.

3.) The analytics lull teams into taking these low percentage shots, but they don't account for what happens next: a lot of long rebounds that lead to runouts for the opponent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom