• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mark Zuckerberg Has Made More Money Than Anyone Else in 2017—Even Jeff Bezos

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
http://time.com/money/4891103/mark-zuckerberg-jeff-bezos-billionaires-net-worth-2017/

Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos was, briefly, the richest man in the world late last month.

Due to a surge in Amazon stock prices, Bezos's net worth rose to over $90 billion and surpassed that of Bill Gates. But then Amazon shares retreated, dropping Bezos back into second place.

Even so, through the first half of 2017, no one made more money than Bezos, who saw his net worth increase by $21 billion. But now Bezos is in second place in that elite competition as well.

As of this week, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg has made more money than Bezos in 2017.

According to Bloomberg data, Zuckerberg has earned $23.1 billion year-to-date through Monday, putting his overall wealth at $73.1 billion. The net worth of Bezos, on the other hand, is now up $19.7 billion thus far in 2017, for an estimated total of $85 billion. In the past month, Zuckerberg's wealth has shot up 16% as Facebook shares have soared on strong earnings reports.

On Monday alone, Zuckerberg gained nearly $1 billion. He is now just $3 billion away from surpassing Warren Buffett as the 4th richest person in the world.

So what has Zuckerberg been doing with all those earnings? Politico reported last week that he had hired a former Clinton pollster, ostensibly to advise his foundation — Zuckerberg and his wife plan to give away 99% of their shares — but also a move than some think is a sign he has ambitions in politics.

Earlier this year, Zuckerberg hired former Obama adviser David Plouffe. Zuckerberg has been on a tour of every U.S. state, which has included visits to a Ford assembly plant outside Detroit, and a trip to Dayton, Ohio, a key swing region for elections.Z

uckerberg has twice denied that he’s running for office.

"On Monday alone, Zuckerberg gained nearly $1 billion." damn

JordanN

Banned
The only thing that can defeat a rich narcissist, is another rich narcissist.

The 2020 U.S primaries is going to be brutal.

Dartastic

That's just such an absurd, disgusting amount of money. Frankly, I think it's a breakdown of society for one person to be able to hold that much wealth.

JordanN

Banned
That's just such an absurd, disgusting amount of money. Frankly, I think it's a breakdown of society for one person to be able to hold that much wealth.

To me, it's less about how much money they make, but how much taxes they pay.

Remember when Trump said not paying taxes is smart? Imagine how that line of thought plays out at Apple, Disney, Microsoft etc.

Hell, it should be mandatory for all rich people to provide food and housing to everyone who is poor

Remember when Trump said not paying taxes is smart? Imagine how that line of thought plays out at Apple, Disney, Microsoft etc.

That line of thought probably IS playing out at those companies you mentioned. What corporation isn't going to do everything they can to minimize the amount of taxes they pay, within the scope of the law? Not trying to banter, but I suspect all corporations do all they can to minimize their tax payments.

ApharmdX

Banned
I'm really not looking forward to the age of techno-politicians.

Zukerberg in politics would be dangerous as fuck. Access to the private, aggregate Facebook data of tens of millions of voters? The ability to manipulate the feeds and news of millions? It's a House of Cards-esque nightmare. Surely he'd have to step down as CEO before running, right?

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.

Hell, it should be mandatory for all rich people to provide food and housing to everyone who is poor
Sadly, I don't think we have to imagine :/

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
You know, he'd be able to easily win the presidency if he liquidated, say, half of his shares and used them to concretely fix a real-world, observable problem anywhere in the U.S.

Zukerberg in politics would be dangerous as fuck. Access to the private, aggregate Facebook data of tens of millions of voters? The ability to manipulate the feeds and news of millions? It's a House of Cards-esque nightmare. Surely he'd have to step down as CEO before running, right?

Surely he has to let go of his position, money & influence with private entity before become a president right? oh wait..

Wasn't there a poll where they stacked almost everyone you could think of against Trump, for 2020, and they all beat him...except Zuckerberg LOL.

ZeoVGM

Banned
You know, he'd be able to easily win the presidency if he liquidated, say, half of his shares and used them to concretely fix a real-world, observable problem anywhere in the U.S.

This is one of the most 100% correct things I've read in a while.

And it's so incredibly obvious for something in his position to do.

So he won't.

Kill3r7

He would have to do so pretty soon. Got to come up with a sell off plan at least a year ahead of time to avoid any insider trading issues.

good, now use a paltry sum of that to take out the trash on your site, mark

How exactly does that make FB money?

theWB27

Do not have a problem with him making this much...there's enough to go around and him having this much is not what is preventing people from being able to afford a life.

JordanN

Banned

It has always been the rich strategy to keep everyone poor.

Because a poor class has an unequal chance at affording education, and more uneducated people means more sheep to be lead around and get pumped full of lies.

It's why uncontrolled wealth is dangerous. It creates a modern day feudal system, where corporations are the kings and and the poor are peasants who are expected to live off the king's services.

FairyD

I bet if the top 10 richest people directly pooled their money together and straight up gave their money away in wads of cash to the poorest of the poor it would be better off then their charities.

Hale-XF11

I bet if the top 10 richest people directly pooled their money together and straight up gave their money away in wads of cash to the poorest of the poor it would be better off then their charities.

I often wonder how much charities keep of the donations they get and how much actually goes towards helping people who need it.

Forkball

Even with all that money, he's just a normal guy.

DEkk-cTXkAE5paD.jpg

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Yea, all the old people are on fb now. That cable TV ad revenue is diverting to fb.

Facebook launched in February 2004. He did this in 13.5 years with a product that doesn't charge money. It's amazing that that's possible.

I don't think he'll do well in politics, he's not charismatic at all, but I didn't think Trump winning was possible either.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
He has a clause that lets him retain control of FB if he leaves to run for a political office.

But buried in the public filing is one big exception, one that Zuckerberg reportedly fought hard for: he can take a leave of absence from Facebook and still retain voting control of the company if he goes to work for the government. More specifically, as long as Zuckerberg owns enough of Facebook—30 percent or more of shares he owned at the time of signing the stock restructuring agreement—he can serve in government. And if he owns less than 30 percent, he just needs board approval. If he doesn’t get that, he can still serve in public office if the government position has a two-year term limit. (A Facebook representative confirmed this is how the agreement works).

https://www.wired.com/2017/01/zucks-sure-acting-like-someone-might-run-president/

Tagg9

Does Zuckerberg even make public appearances? I don't think I've seen him give a single speech, so I can't imagine him running for president.

Top Bottom