• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Comics' 2012 crossover event: Avengers vs. X-Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilMikhail

Dark Avengers ended a year and a half ago.

Facepalm

Check New Avengers #18

WhoAreTheNewDarkAvengers.jpg

Sadist

It's really easy, but it could be awesome.

But for the love of god, bring Jean back. And make her choose Logan's side for maximum overtroll. I like Wolverine & the X-Men better anyways.

Huge and somewhat related news that makes me pretty happy: Bendis will be leaving both Avengers and New Avengers sometime next year, most likely after AvX concludes next September. Possibly Avengers Assemble as well after the first arc or two, but the article isn't quite as clear on that one.

Do comic books written by five people ever turn out well?

One more than 52, which turned out pretty great. But my expectations for the main AvX series aren't that high.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Looking at the current roster, I say the X-Men have this in the bag if it's a straight up brawl.

...and they stop red hulk ...how? He's their worst nightmare. And Namor has been nerfed for i dont know how long...oh wait ever since he's been fucking with the x men so ..looks like the Avengers got this one, especially if Thor gets involved but maybe he wont.

Shaw doesn't know who he is anymore; Emma gave his brain a thorough scrubbing and dropped him in the middle of nowhere. Hope and her gang of troublemakers are about to find and recruit him, though.

...and they stop red hulk ...how? He's their worst nightmare. And Namor has been nerfed for i dont know how long...oh wait ever since he's been fucking with the x men so ..looks like the Avengers got this one, especially if Thor gets involved but maybe he wont.

Doesn't colossus still have the gem of cyttorak? It looks like it in those promo shots.
Unstoppable Juggernaut at his best was more than a match for Hulk, Thor, etc- And Colossus isn't an idiot like Cain Marko was.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I have to lol at the fact that they have Magneto going after Spiderman instead of Wolverine.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo

My money is on Domino and Colossus giving Red Hulk a run for their money. Namor will probably gain much of his power back in this battle. If Nate Grey ever gains any of his power back, then this definitely will be a lashing.

If Thor does get involved though, all things considered, Avengers will take whatever they want, when they want.

What originally put me on the side of the X-Men is Magneto's allegiance and the amount of telepaths the X-Men have.

My money is on Domino and Colossus giving Red Hulk a run for their money. Namor will probably gain much of his power back in this battle. If Nate Grey ever gains any of his power back, then this definitely will be a lashing.

If Thor does get involved though, all things considered, Avengers will take whatever they want, when they want.

What originally put me on the side of the X-Men is Magneto's allegiance and the amount of telepaths the X-Men have.

Also this.

lo5Jz.jpg

Bendis will never live down his style of writing dialogue, that's why.

And this event definitely excites me.

This is the worst thing I've ever seen. How is that beneficial to the reader in any way? I had to spend forever just following the maze of balloon tails to figure out who was talking in which balloon, which totally broke the flow of the layout and took me out of the story. Bendis is clearly just showing off here, and the only one being entertained is him.

You also forgot to mention "decompression".

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ

if namor were back like atlantis attacks namor...but he's been missing. Dont forget that if they include the secret avengers then you gotta add Venom, and War machine to the mix. Hulk , Thor, Ironman, Warmachine, Venom, Cap, Ms Marvel, Norr Var Wolverine, Spiderman, Scarlet Witch ?????? yeah the avengers win , and i love me some xmen, especially storm, bobby , colossus and namor but , look at that team for the avengers Venom and Spidey!

Slayven

if namor were back like atlantis attacks namor...but he's been missing. Dont forget that if they include the secret avengers then you gotta add Venom, and War machine to the mix. Hulk , Thor, Ironman, Warmachine, Venom, Cap, Ms Marvel, Norr Var Wolverine, Spiderman, Scarlet Witch ?????? yeah the avengers win , and i love me some xmen, especially storm, bobby , colossus and namor but , look at that team for the avengers Venom and Spidey!

You forgot Scientist Supreme Hank "I smack fools with science" Pym.

Nesotenso

I hope Scott's bitch-made ass dies and Storm takes his place.

Storm (at least the way she is written now) can never make the tough choices a leader has to make.

That being said, Cyke is my fave X-man and I like that while he hasn't abandoned the policy of "protecting the humans who hate us", he has made it plenty clear that mutants will no longer be victims. That easily makes him more an effective and practical leader. He straddles the center rather than stay at extremes. At least that's how I read it.

Slayven

Storm (at least the way she is written now) can never make the tough choices a leader has to make.

That being said, Cyke is my fave X-man and I like that while he hasn't abandoned the policy of "protecting the humans who hate us", he has made it plenty clear that mutants will no longer be victims. That easily makes him more an effective and practical leader. He straddle the center rather than stay at extremes. At least that's how I read it.
Finally someone logical.

eh, the Xmen as listed are kind of overpowered.

Magneto is a team wrecker. admittedly I haven't read xmen in a while, but he's been shown immobilizing three whole teams of xmen simultanously while casually flying an asteroid the size of manhattan over his head. Anyone with blood (which is basically everyone) is fair game for the "I'll reverse their blood flow and KO/Kill them" trick, and wolverine is dead in the fractions of a second it takes for magneto to remember he's there- it's already happened once.

Hope Summers is a power mimic, so that's TWO magnetos if the writer feels like it.

No one on the avengers team has any substantial level of resistance to telepathy or telepathic attack, but the xmen are practically filthy with them. A smart writer would have emma, hope, and psylocke mindf*ck the avengers into killing each other.

Iron Man and War Machine's tech is flat out primitive compared to Warlock. I'm not even joking- not only can he interface with any tech that exists and hijack it, Warlock can reconfigure himself to invent powers on the fly as need be.

Sebastian shaw is immune to attack from anyone not named Red Hulk.

The "Unstoppable" Colossus is easily on Red Hulk's power level- Cain Marko in his prime literally walked all over Hulk and Thor and typically took entire teams to put down. I can't see either one KOing the other easily.

Captain America, Venom, Hawkeye, Spiderman, Mockingbird, Spider Woman, and Iron Fist are completely worthless vs. the Xmen. I can't think of a single reason anyone would bother to engage them H2H instead of KOing them instantly. Namor or Warpath by themselves would wreck the lot of them.

ElNarez

Banned
Bingo. The Hellfire Club beat the snot out of the X-Men in like two pages. The Avengers can take them in a snap. Thanks, Aaron.

No they can't. The giant fucking Sentinel that was supposed to destroy Utopia was taken out by a bunch of kids. They had a clever plan and they managed to shelf most of the X-Men's big guns, but they still fucking lost.

I like superheroes punching each other, and I like the idea of an event that comes out bimonthly. Sure, I'll buy into this.

I don't want Jean back, though. I'm really not a fan.

The Hellfire Club had huge elements of surprise in that skirmish vs a divided team.

So the Avengers attack them without phoning first. Those ridiculous kids were an embarrassment.

No they can't. The giant fucking Sentinel that was supposed to destroy Utopia was taken out by a bunch of kids. They had a clever plan and they managed to shelf most of the X-Men's big guns, but they still fucking lost.

Please don't put the Utopia kids in with Aaron's little brats. The Avengers have this team of beat down X-Men on lock.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
This is the worst thing I've ever seen. How is that beneficial to the reader in any way? I had to spend forever just following the maze of balloon tails to figure out who was talking in which balloon, which totally broke the flow of the layout and took me out of the story. Bendis is clearly just showing off here, and the only one being entertained is him.
It's perfectly clear if you have the context of the previous conversation.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

Magneto is a team wrecker. admittedly I haven't read xmen in a while, but he's been shown immobilizing three whole teams of xmen simultanously while casually flying an asteroid the size of manhattan over his head. Anyone with blood (which is basically everyone) is fair game for the "I'll reverse their blood flow and KO/Kill them" trick, and wolverine is dead in the fractions of a second it takes for magneto to remember he's there- it's already happened once.

Hope Summers is a power mimic, so that's TWO magnetos if the writer feels like it.

No one on the avengers team has any substantial level of resistance to telepathy or telepathic attack, but the xmen are practically filthy with them. A smart writer would have emma, hope, and psylocke mindf*ck the avengers into killing each other.

Iron Man and War Machine's tech is flat out primitive compared to Warlock. I'm not even joking- not only can he interface with any tech that exists and hijack it, Warlock can reconfigure himself to invent powers on the fly as need be.

Sebastian shaw is immune to attack from anyone not named Red Hulk.

The "Unstoppable" Colossus is easily on Red Hulk's power level- Cain Marko in his prime literally walked all over Hulk and Thor and typically took entire teams to put down. I can't see either one KOing the other easily.

Captain America, Venom, Hawkeye, Spiderman, Mockingbird, Spider Woman, and Iron Fist are completely worthless vs. the Xmen. I can't think of a single reason anyone would bother to engage them H2H instead of KOing them instantly. Namor or Warpath by themselves would wreck the lot of them.
Although I'm quite guilty of it in the past, I hate list wars. Mainly because on both sides you can use examples to support your rationalizing of events, and it justs gets ugly after awhile.

...that being said, the x-men are lucky the science squad doesn't exist as an avengers off shoot, or their shit would surely be fucked.

corporateslave

Neo Member
Sorry to derail this thread but I have a question I haven't seen any hints of in this thread. I used to collect comics and was a huge Cable fan, with my first Marvel comics I read being the New Mutants back in the 90's.

I stopped reading/collecting Marvel comics when Cable died protecting Hope. Is he still dead, or has he been replaced entirely by X-man? Or has he come back in a new incarnation?

JJD

If Nate was at full power level he could ruin Avengers' shit holes.

If Iron Man still has his orbital station cannon he can decimate the X-men from home, while drinking a martini and having a blowjob by a super model.

I'm joking by the way...most guys on both teams have a history of being overpowered, so you can throw a lot of "ifs" in the equation.

I mean Wolverine took down the whole Hydra once...mostly by himself. I wonder why Fury or Cap just didn't phone him earlier. Spider-man took down Firelord while he was a herald of Galactus and wielder of the power cosmic...in a single issue! :-D

Seriously know, it will be interesting to see how Scott Xtinction team will handle itself against those guys. On that picture seems like Wolverine is going for Emma, while Hank is trying to jump on Ororo, I wonder how his teams will react to this.

JJD

Sorry to derail this thread but I have a question I haven't seen any hints of in this thread. I used to collect comics and was a huge Cable fan, with my first Marvel comics I read being the New Mutants back in the 90's.

I stopped reading/collecting Marvel comics when Cable died protecting Hope. Is he still dead, or has he been replaced entirely by X-man? Or has he come back in a new incarnation?

He is coming back on a new comic by Jeph Loeb. He is going after the avengers but we don't know if it's related to this X-men vs. Avengers event. (It probably is.)

If I'm not mistaken the first issue should ship on December or January.

He is coming back on a new comic by Jeph Loeb. He is going after the avengers but we don't know if it's related to this X-men vs. Avengers event. (It probably is.)

If I'm not mistaken the first issue should ship on December or January.

Avengers: X-Sanction, first issue coming Dec. 14. And yes, it's confirmed to be a lead-in to AvX.

bangai-o

Banned

well... what's the point in him having muscles anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom