• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel films lack cinematographic style

Status
Not open for further replies.

IISANDERII

They are reminiscent of blockbuster comedy films which have rules that include basic color tuning and avoidance of atmospherics, particularly lingering or contemplative shots and audio sequences.

They often look alike despite different directors on some of them (was it Joss Whedon who hinted at the lack of personal freedom?) and have good effects in many cases but there's no surprise in why people call them "committee films" or "look like TV shows."

They just don't have much style. It's as basic as an American family action movie can be.

Hell, if Guardians of the Galaxy didn't take place in such a different setting from the Avengers umbrella, those dance off bullshit scenes at the end would look like they used the same procedure booklet to shoot as all the other basic colored daytime normality that is the MCU.

Spill ya thoughts - I am one of those style IS substance people who basically screams like an excited little girl inside at certain shots in Atonement or Children of Men or even the good sis Zack Snyder's WATCHMEN.

EDIT: don't get distracted by a hype shot thanks
That's because they lack any semblance of soul. In 5yrs when robots begin directing movies, they'll all look like Marvel films.

i thought doctor strange was very nice looking - moreso than most of the marvel films. helped that the sets, costumes and cgi work was stellar. same dp as guardians (which, despite you using it as an example in the op, i remember being a fairly pretty film) and age of ultron.

the juxtaposition with the shots of his hands before and after the surgery were very well done in my opinion.

MRD2140_comp_v090_019901.1141_R.jpg

I feel that shot in particular highlights the problem. Conceptually interesting, amazing special effects, but it looks so lifeless and dull.

Guardians is easily the best looking film in the MCU. I get what the OP is talking about but I personally think it's a problem with how Marvel tends to shoot conversations with a tendency to repeat the boring medium 2-shot over and over and over again. Most everything else actually looks pretty good. Anywho, screenshot dump time

This is actually the issue that needs to be addressed​. The dialogue heavy scenes that account for at least 60% of every Marvel movie are framed in such boring drab ways that lack any visual draw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDUCKCpRyrU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaz6nxyQA28

Ignoring the de-aging cgi in the second scene look at these two scenes from the MCU. Notice the lack of two-shots in the Ant-man scene. Look at the abundance of shooting actors that are talking in both movies to be shot from a frontal angle medium shot. There's little creative positioning of the camera when focused on a person delivering dialogue.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Completely disagree. Many pictures in this thread have explained why. They're not top of the class but saying they lack cinematic style is a bit of hyperbole.

If I were to compare them to the next closest thing, Snyder's DC movies, I would say that those do have a more "cinematic style." And yet, I personally think the majority of Marvel's movies still look better.

(Now if we were to compare it to Nolan's Batman films, my answer would be different.)

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I feel that shot in particular highlights the problem. Conceptually interesting, amazing special effects, but it looks so lifeless and dull.

Man, I don't know how anyone can look at that shot, especially in motion, and think it looks lifeless and dull.

kiguel182

I really like how the first Thor looks. Also a fan of Winter Soldier and Civil War, at least the less CG parts.

Also, GOTG has some good looking parts too.

IconGrist

There's an argument for Avengers and maybe Spider-Man: Homecoming (from what I've seen so far) but everything else has been fine. They haven't been amazing but definitely above this TV-level argument I see thrown around. I don't even know what that means when most TV shows worth their salt have pretty good cinematography.

jett

D-Member
Color grading in Mahvel's movies is indeed pretty dull, but the movies also rarely if ever have shots that make me care about em from a visual standpoint. They don't lack a cinematographic style. They do have a style. The cinematography is simply bland and uncreative.

It was too compressed, but if you so desire...

5310217-2519112941-UWUBO.gif

One looks like the real world, the other straight from a PS4 videogame.

lol

This is sadly very true.

Veelk

Banned
There's an argument for Avengers and maybe Spider-Man: Homecoming (from what I've seen so far) but everything else has been fine. They haven't been amazing but definitely above this TV-level argument I see thrown around. I don't even know what that means when most TV shows worth their salt have pretty good cinematography.

That too. Good TV shows have excellent cinematography. Breaking bad and Sherlock and Mr. Robot and so on. It's like the "It reads like fanfiction" comment made my people who never read fanfiction. It's a really ignorant comment.

I wouldn't change the MCU for anything. What a ride. Truly remarkable what they accomplished in a cinematic universe without the X Men, Fantastic 4, and originally Spiderman.

jurgen

The only Marvel movies that stick out in terms of cinematography are Guardians of the Galaxy and The Winter Soldier. Everything else seems flat. I was surprised how poorly Civil War looked compared to the Russos's first film.

Marvel really shouldn't have fucked up the deal with Edgar Wright.

And as much as people like to shit on Snyder's films for DC, I'll argue he's a better cinematographer than a director.

This is why no comic book movie has come close to being as good as Spider Man 2.

Spider Man 2 is what happens when a very talented director has creative freedom and leaves their personal imprint all over a film. It feels like a passion project with a gigantic budget, and it's something I haven't seen with any other comic book movie.

I don't think that movie could be made the same way today, with those ridiculous zooms and intentional schlock and cheesiness.

I blame digital.

The First Avenger is hands down the best looking movie of the MCU, and it's no coincidence it was shot on film.
Only partially. Mostly digital IIRC.
And before somebody calls "Oh you want them to go Snyder style" don't forget there was a filmaker who already acomplished the perfect balance with an iconic marvel character
spider-man-2-2004.jpg

Meanwhile, in 2017
spiderman_homecoming-trailer1.jpg
Two completely different settings.
7b5e44cd1129f7e567696f6d315eac728c69d6ac5871226924f3dfc87ce6a692.png

cc0196bec8fdf99434bf82922474aa0fc8646f782ab39434afd3a29a34b43337.png

DC marks, when will they learn
What TV show is this? Supergirl?

This is why no comic book movie has come close to being as good as Spider Man 2.

Spider Man 2 is what happens when a very talented director has creative freedom and leaves their personal imprint all over a film. It feels like a passion project with a gigantic budget, and it's something I haven't seen with any other comic book movie.

I don't think that movie could be made the same way today, with those ridiculous zooms and intentional schlock and cheesiness.

For real, Raimi made it work so well.

HeelPower

They have a metallic,muted look.It invokes a specific sense.

So they do actually have a style of their own,evidenced by the fact that you recognize that they all look alike.

Ahasverus

BvS is literally this, but it was Zack Snyder instead of Sam Raimi :p

Amazing Spider-Man 2 ripped this shot whole hog from a Raimi movie

jiByMQ9.gif

Of course, it's still the Amazing Spider-Man 2 so...

Man, I don't know how anyone can look at that shot, especially in motion, and think it looks lifeless and dull.

I can say the opposite. Motion has nothing to do with it. And I'm not type to say all Marvel movies suffer this problem. I mean, I'd go to bat for Iron Man 3 and say it's a nice looking movie. Not even die hard MCU fans defend Iron Man 3!

guek

Banned
This is actually the issue that needs to be address. The dialogue heavy scenes that account for at least 60% of every Marvel movie are framed in such boring drab ways that lack any visual draw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDUCKCpRyrU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaz6nxyQA28

Ignoring the de-aging cgi in the second scene look at these two scenes from the MCU. Notice the lack of two-shots in the Ant-man scene. Look at the abundance of shooting actors that are talking in both movies to be shot from a frontal angle medium shot. There's little creative positioning of the camera when focused on a person delivering dialogue.

Yes! Exactly! I believe this is why people say the movies feel like they're made on an "assembly line" despite everything else about them being fairly visually creative.

Senoculum

I think this is the reason I can't love any Marvel films that aren't Iron Man 1, just couldn't put my finger on it.

I remember seeing clips of the Avengers on TV and it felt like a Dawson's Creek episode. I don't know what lensing they used, but it was horribly drab.

Guardians is still my favourite but that's because of the humour, and the VFX artists are the real fucking heroes there.

Eidan

I mean, when you compare a closeup shot of an actual actor to a mid action scene shot of a CG character of course. You pick out a shot of the CG doubles from Spiderman 2 and the comparison isn't gonna be so stark.

Hell, when I think of the Raimi Spider-Man films, this bad CG is one of the first things that come to mind.

https://youtu.be/ouG3PqGxTmM?t=18s

And before you say it, this was bad when it came out.

B33

Banned
Hell, when I think of the Raimi Spider-Man films, this bad CG is one of the first things that come to mind.

https://youtu.be/ouG3PqGxTmM?t=18s

And before you say it, this was bad when it came out.

The budget nor the tech at Sony were there for that sequence.

Raimi's visual style saves it, but yeah, the CGI isn't good.

The VFX of Spider-Man 2 are overall the best of the three films.

Eidan

The budget nor the tech at Sony were there for that sequence.

Raimi's visual style saves it, but yeah, the CGI isn't good.

The VFX of Spider-Man 2 are overall the best of the three films.

Raimi decided to put the camera directly in front of a CG face. Nothing saved it. It looked terrible when it came out.

wazoo

Sshhhhh, no. Everyone loves them.

They are shit because they are made such that everyones love them.

They are checklist films.

Punchlines, obligatory references to previous films, obligatory introduction to next films, and so on

They are good consumer products, you can not deny.

Schlorgan

They are shit because they are made such that everyones love them.

They are checklist films.

Punchlines, obligatory references to previous films, obligatory introduction to next films, and so on
Good thing BvS was above having all of these things.

;p

I don't understand the problem with dutch angles. Oh, I get it, because Battlefield Earth did it, so any movie doing it is bad now.

Look, dutch angles can be stylish and can work toward creating a certain atmosphere in a movie. Watch Touch of Evil and come back and tell me it's bad because it used dutch angles. That said, Thor used them simply to add some visual flair to the movie, and I don't see the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom