• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes 2016 |OT3| Highway to the Danger Room

inky

More like, you get them more consistently from actually playing. This isn't as bad as you're making it seem.

Remains to be seen. Believe it or not, I've played this game for a long time too, so sometimes I do speak from experience instead of taking the cynical approach, and if the new base chance is anything like the "improved" chance from potions it might end up being negligible. Seems that "you get them more consistently" is assumption on your part, while on my part is what I've seen.

Daily logins, event boxes and story missions was a decent chunk and nothing to scoff at. You could get thousands in a couple of months logging in daily and playing regularly during events. This change doesn't even affect me that much either way. I own every hero and have enough for 5 or 6 more, which at the current pace means I'm set till at least 2019 ;P

Volimar

Remains to be seen. Believe it or not, I've played this game for a long time too, so sometimes I do speak from experience instead of taking the cynical approach, and if the new base chance is anything like the "improved" chance from potions it might end up being negligible. Seems that "you get them more consistently" is assumption on your part, while on my part is what I've seen.

Daily logins, event boxes and story missions was a decent chunk and nothing to scoff at. You could get thousands or more in a couple of months logging in daily and playing regularly during events.

Are you doubting Asros, er I mean Frostinferno?!?!?

Servers are up! Full patch notes.

Some new costumes:

f_silversurfer_keeper.png
f_loki_agentofasgard_var.png
f_blackpanther_manwithoutfear_var.png
f_squirrelgirl_unbeatable_var.png

Beast's release cotumes:

f_beast_astonishing.png
f_beast_uncanny.png

Daily logins, event boxes and story missions was a decent chunk and nothing to scoff at. You could get thousands in a couple of months logging in daily and playing regularly during events. This change doesn't even affect me that much either way. I own every hero and have enough for 5 or 6 more, which at the current pace means I'm set till at least 2019 ;P

Event boxes were the only substantial ones over time. The login boxes amounted to an average of one splinter a day.

Moondrop

Banned
I wouldn't have guessed they'd go with "Marvel Heroes 2016 2.0". Excited to get home and start downloading this hot mess.

Oof, it pains me that neither of the two best Beast incarnations are represented. Perhaps I'll wait until he gets a decent costume.

inky

Event boxes were the only substantial ones over time. The login boxes amounted to an average of one splinter a day.

They were all substantial when you put them together, that's the point. They aren't going away because they weren't good enough and they are doing us a favor either. They are re-balancing rewards based on business reasons, which I understand, but don't have to agree with on principle alone.

That's coming at some later date. Seems they've already seperated cores, now called catalysts, from costumes, though.

yeah i found that part in the 2.0 notes, ok.

Also I've got like 15 max level characters but i've played extremely casually in this game and the game always had way too many systems and shit to track

and the new systems look like more of the same "too much shit" for someone who plays as casually as I do

i dont think i'll ever get this game lol

yeah i found that part in the 2.0 notes, ok.

Also I've got like 15 max level characters but i've played extremely casually in this game and the game always had way too many systems and shit to track

and the new systems look like more of the same "too much shit" for someone who plays as casually as I do

i dont think i'll ever get this game lol

Don't worry, you only have to read a small novel to catch up on what's new! I'm skimming it but I hate myself, don't be like me.

Ahhhh my inventory is filled with crap, jesus christ.

Apparently on your first login, the shit from your teamup's inventory will be in your regular inventory, so have fun with that.

inky

Apparently on your first login, the shit from your teamup's inventory will be in your regular inventory, so have fun with that.

Every single visual and costume core/affixes has been separated appropriately from its costume into new items, and sent to my inventory. Considering I have something in most if not every character, and in some characters like Thor and Spider-Man I had up to 4 or 5 costumes with stuff on them, all of that is now in my inventory and overflow. Plus a million reward boxes that I don't know where they came from.

How fun.

Every single visual and costume core/affixes has been separated appropriately from its costume into new items, and sent to my inventory. Considering I have something in most if not every character, and in some characters like Thor and Spider-Man I had up to 4 or 5 costumes with stuff on them, all of that is now in my inventory and overflow. Plus a million reward boxes that I don't know where they came from.

How fun.

lol I can't wait to sort my stash for a full 45 minutes

Volimar

Aha the exchanges tab at the crafter has been gutted! Glad I finished my exchanges before the patch.

My Colossus is so puny now...

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
put all the cores (or whatever the fuck they are called now) back in each hero, opened all the story boxes (nutso seems nice for summoners now, rest is still pretty trashy), opened all the gift boxes they gave... that sure was a pain in the ass.

Ultron summons are fixed at least :p

edit: visual affixes being gone is terrible, hulk, jugg, colossus etc back to being slightly bigger thna spiderman ffs >_>

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
So now that costumes are just changing the look and nothing else, it should be safe to blend all the defaults right?

inky

Great, now I can't tell which terminals still have cube shards available exactly.

A good QoL change would've been to just give you both cube shards for completing the cosmic difficulty and be done with it. What's the point of having to do both reds and greens still with the new personal difficulty slider. Such an archaic system.

How fun.
I now fear booting up this game.

I'd like to at least give the game an honest shot again but I'm looking at at least an hour of inventory management, in a game already bloated with too many items and too much inventory management. No thanks, I'll just peace out. In the end, it's still the same game, but slower, and with more boring itemization, until they add Omegas, and then what, the power creep starts again? Until they decide on yet another game-wide rebalance? Nah fam, I'm good.

Xevren

Really didn't take that long to get the cores put back on and deal with the stuff added, figuring out how to play characters is what's weird. X23 having a move that says it restores wrath...not restoring wrath doesn't seem right.

antonz

Really didn't take that long to get the cores put back on and deal with the stuff added, figuring out how to play characters is what's weird. X23 having a move that says it restores wrath...not restoring wrath doesn't seem right.

Pretty sure there are a ton of bugs. Keep Having Captain Marvel randomly stop regenerating energy for like 2-3 minutes at a time.

I'd like to at least give the game an honest shot again but I'm looking at at least an hour of inventory management, in a game already bloated with too many items and too much inventory management. No thanks, I'll just peace out. In the end, it's still the same game, but slower, and with more boring itemization, until they add Omegas, and then what, the power creep starts again? Until they decide on yet another game-wide rebalance? Nah fam, I'm good.

Serious question. Why do you (or did you) even play this game?

Turned it on, messed with inventory and infinity stones, and then started prestiging Colossus and yawn. Shut it down again.

I wish the game had been in this state when I started playing. But now, after so many hours, these updates just feel like the same puzzle pieces in a new shape.

Rhaknar

New talents quick impressions from every hero after my first pass at builds. This will be long but hey, its that or posts shitting on the game and we have enough of those I think.

Ultron - Summon Build

Better than before. Drones come out passively when you're in combat freeing slots for other moves, and the drones even have new moves.

The suicide drones are a seperate cooldown skill now, more drones. And theres a new cooldown skill where 3 drones fly overhead shooting lasers, looks cool. Good stuff.

Storm - Wind Build

I used to play more lightning / wind hybrid but im going more wind now. You don't need to spam the tornados anymore, they all come out at once. You can reduce the sig cooldown which is nice. She has a new mechanic where she builds tempest and when youre full you can use a new big damage spell. Theres also a new aoe where she unleashes more tornados and lightning, also needs full tempest. She sidnt change much but all the bew stuff is great and shes even flashier now. Me likey.

To be continued.

inky

Story mode is a buggy mess. Now I'm inside a treasure room with no way out. When I tped out and back to the area my objective progress was erased, which is something I've never seen this game do, lol.

They also have been turning all story areas into corridors which is a bit hilarious.

Rhaknar

Hulk - Hulk build >_>

Nothing really changed except some mvoes got charges now (like pummel and the sig). Still knuckledusters, headbut for bleed, meteor, sig, pummel, gamme strike etc. And avalanche leap because hulk jumps!

Colossus - Punch build

Again, nothing changed from before (for me), mostly built around the various punch cooldowns and fissure talented for the dot, and the death from above move which now gives vulnerability which is nice. Colossus does have a few new things, mainly his summons arnet summons anymore, they are call ins like Cyclops, and he has 2 new ones, Nightcrawler and Kitty, but I dont use any now that you only have 1 skill bar. Oh speaking of Cyclops...

Cyclops - To me my X-Men build!

Yooo Cyke got a lot of changes. His call-ins dont share a cooldown anymore (unless you talent it to do so, but why would you!), and his signature can be talented to get reduced coodown each time you use a call in. So im using a strike team build with 3 strike team skills (Iceman and Jean 8sec cd, Beast 20sec cd), his aoe channel beam can be talented to be stronger, shorter channel and get a cooldown, so I did that which frees up ricochet lasers to be the filler instead, because you can also talent that to have a bleed now. Great changes, im super into this. Cyke also has 3 new strike teams if you so talent it, Magik, Emma and Magneto. And Angel is different now, its not a cooldown, its one of those "run and channel" aoes, Angels picks you up and flies you around as you shoot lasers at the ground lol.

Deadpool - Shooty build

Exactly the same as before, but to be fair he had just gotten his review recently.

Captain Marvel - Photon build

Carol has a few new moves, and I dont really use any. Well, I use the new sig, and use the old sig which is now a normal move I guess. Still talent stellar beam to have the dot, still use crashdown strike (which you can talent to also have a dot now which is cool), stellar flare and the channeled beam rounds up my build, its not very exciting, im not really feeling her, but I wasnt before either. Oh and her ult leaves a little sun shooting beams at enemies after you get buffed which is cool. I liked her a lot once upon a time, but there have since been many other better (for me) heroes released so...

To be continued

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I logged in and managed to get all the inventory nonsense sorted at least. Still not really sure what I'm doing with just about any character. The build options on Taskmaster look pretty large so I think I'll try something swordy.

Rhaknar

Magik - summon build

Magik summoner build (which I only recently started using, I used to be full melee) got some very nice qol changes. Her Dark Pact buff doesnt consume the pets anymore, her sig buffs pet dmg for 10secs, the mind control minion can be talented to do double the damage, and you can talent her range filler spell (I forget the name, something fang) to automaticall use up charges of the vengeful spirit so you dont actually have to use the skill, you can use that slot for something else. Mostly QOL changes but I like them.

Rocket - turret build

Rocket got awesome changes. His old sig is a regular skill now (but eats spirit like a motherfucker), his new sig is a nuke, kinda like punisher. The turrets dont last as long but still last longer than the cooldowns, so I guess you need to be more active in placing them. They all got great buffs tho. Talents give the gun turret missiles, the supression turrets get lightning tethers between them, so you can make little aoe jails around the place (and actually incentivises careful placement of them), and time warp turret finall does dmg, aoe dmg. Also, if you dont like summons, you can ride Groot as shoot guns as a new move which is funny.

Squirrel Girl - squirrels build what else

Was never a big SG fan but shes great now. First of all, her old ult is now her new sig, and it only has 25 second cooldown. Actually you can talent it to be 20 second. So theres almost constantly a big cloud of squirrel chaos going on. Other cool stuff, she can have permanent squirrels with her now, up to 4 (tippy toe from one talent, and 3 others from another talent), squirrelpocalypse can have multiple waves now, the acorns are a cooldown and hulkbuster squirrels replace presents (but still act as the squirrel spender). Visually shes great because theres always a bunch of shit going on. That aoe where squirrels rained from the sky is gone tho which is a shame, but it kinda shows up in the new ult, as squirrels and acorns fall from the sky in a bigger version of the old ult.

To be continued.

inky

Wanda's teleport feels like jumping 2 feet ahead. I feel I can run faster than that, and it's obviously meant to break CC effects now.

Yeah... idk, these movement changes are too much. Don't think I can stomach them much longer. It's a pretty different game now, especially for the things I liked to do (terminals and midtown mostly).

DrBo42

Wanda's teleport feels like jumping 2 feet ahead. I feel I can run faster than that, and it's obviously meant to break CC effects now.

Yeah... idk, these movement changes are too much. Don't think I can stomach them much longer. It's a pretty different game now, especially for the things I liked to do (terminals and midtown mostly).
Movement changes make it a completely different game, yeah. Haven't checked the official forums but I'd imagine most users complaining about it.

I do agree with Gaz on it though in terms of it making people skip fights and makes map design nearly pointless. People are far too entrenched to make that change without losing a large amount of players.

inky

Fights and Map design are pointless because they don't offer anything in exchange of carefully engaging with them.

Play games like Diablo and Path of Exile and there's always a purpose to engaging and defeating groups of enemies. In Diablo Bounties and Rifts (which is pretty much all the content) are centered around them. They don't limit your mobility and they don't prevent minions from dying very easily because of it either. They have a cost and a balanced limit that's not: we are mad you are skipping the poorly designed content we made. Diablo had big issues back then: itemization sucked, plus they were adamant in forcing you to do complete chapters they so carefully designed and most people skipped. It didn't work. Instead, they improved other things without having to murder their skill design because people found ways to trivialize content.
In Path of Exile the well designed loot and currency make it so you want to take your time when you are weak, and don't when you are not because there's proper scalable endgame to test you anyway.

Like, I'm not saying this game has to be like those games or do the exact same things, but they found a way that works for them and this game hasn't. They changed the way heroes play, and slapped a difficulty slider that changes nothing. Content like Terminals and Midtown are literally boss runs, but now they don't want people to run too fast towards them. It's ridiculous. Even in story mode they gate the rewards (few as they are, mostly XP) behind objectives that are usually: get from A to B and kill C, where C is not all the groups of enemies littered in the environment, but another boss.

Itemization is still pretty whack and even if those changes are still coming there's probably not a change to the objectives either.

Rhaknar

Spider Man - Melee build

New talent makes it so your melee powers leave a dot, replacing the dot from the ground web thing you used to use. Most of the changes happened recently, he has 2 moves where he jumps in the air and comes crashing down now (well 3 if you count the sig), a bunch of short cooldowns. Talent to give the sig 200% more dmg but loses the dot, and a talent to extend his zip aorund aoe thing by a few seconds (thus hitting more mobs). Mostly little changes.

Scarlet Witch - Chaos build

Beasts from Beyond isnt a dot anymore, which is weird. Chaos Warp (the big buble aoe) can be talented to be a 20sec cd that hits harder but its not really something you want to use in a rotation. Theres a talent that turns reality implosion into a hard hitting cooldown tho which is better, and gives Weaken on top too which doesnt hurt. She doesnt use mana anymore, she builds up chaos and then when shes full spells hit harder or gain new effects and uses up mana (or chaos) then until youre spent. Her negation tree actually looks changed a bit but I dont really use that. Theres a new talent that gives all spells a chance to leave a dot, but im not sure that makes up for beasts from beyond not being a dot anymore. You can talent revenous binding to heal everyone not just you which is cool.

Iron Man

Great changes for Tony, he gets a new wrist laser cooldown, the missile salvo aoe can become a energy skill that always crits, unibeam can be talented to be instant, be much bigger and do more dmg (its awesome), sig has a shorter cooldown, lots of great little changes, but I was always a fan of him anyway. I love that new unibeam. Oh and his ult is different, he summons 5 different armors that actually stick around and fight like pets for awhile. I keep forgeting to check the ults to see what changed.

DrBo42

Fights and Map design are pointless because they don't offer anything in exchange of carefully engaging with them.

Play games like Diablo and Path of Exile and there's always a purpose to engaging and defeating groups of enemies. In Diablo Bounties and Rifts (which is pretty much all the content) are centered around them. They don't limit your mobility and they don't prevent minions from dying very easily because of it either. They have a cost and a balanced limit that's not: we are mad you are skipping the poorly designed content we made. Diablo had big issues back then: itemization sucked, plus they were adamant in forcing you to do complete chapters they so carefully designed and most people skipped. It didn't work. Instead, they improved other things without having to murder their skill design because people found ways to trivialize content.
In Path of Exile the well designed loot and currency make it so you want to take your time when you are weak, and don't when you are not because there's proper scalable endgame to test you anyway.

Like, I'm not saying this game has to be like those games or do the exact same things, but they found a way that works for them and this game hasn't. They changed the way heroes play, and slapped a difficulty slider that changes nothing. Content like Terminals and Midtown are literally boss runs, but now they don't want people to run too fast towards them. It's ridiculous. Even in story mode they gate the rewards (few as they are, mostly XP) behind objectives that are usually: get from A to B and kill C, where C is not all the groups of enemies littered in the environment, but another boss.

Itemization is still pretty whack and even if those changes are still coming there's probably not a change to the objectives either.

Diablo is a little more difficult to compare to since the high tier content is designed with a timer in mind. The rest is fine though.

Top Bottom