• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes 2016 |OT3| Highway to the Danger Room

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Nightcrawler feels so lame with his two foot teleport.

this is true, which is a damn shame because his actual kit is much better now. His old sig is a normal move now, and they merged the brimstone aoe with it (if you talent it) for example.

Pretty disappointed so far.

My great one-bar Strange build feels like crap now. Like everyone else, CD on the Teleport/movement stuff is ridiculous and slows the game down SO much.

Tragically, my epic Deadpool ranged build that I worked on for ages is now absolute trash. He feels slow, tedious and the flashy ranged stuff now feels like throwing feathers at enemies for all the damage it does.

Hulk has now gone from the epic top-tier bounce-around crazy mega-level destruction to a shadow of his former self. Again though, it's hindered most by the leap cooldown.

Guess I'll sit back a while and let the dust settle - and hopefully for some decent new builds to emerge.

TimFL

Tried this out today and I was really surprised that the cosmic trial is a piece of cake now. Did it with Scarlet Witch, Wolverine and Ghost Rider on my first try each (and they all have crap fresh 60 gear).

Not too hyped about the overall power/hero changes though, most of my gear is useless now because of the attribute changes. Bummed about Thor not dropping spirit as his primary resource... would've loved something like lightning or odin force (well at least not every power uses spirit now).

Took me 1 hour to clear my item inbox (I had like a billion anniversary gifts/cakes, unique/crimson/blue boxes, pets waiting... ?).

inky

The cosmic trial is a cakewalk, yes. Which will make it more of a rude awakening for people when they first zone into cosmic zones or try to do purple/cosmic Danger Room, because that content is way overtuned in comparison to the trial, and fresh 60 gear is not gonna cut it.

So is the bug already fixed which rerolled the same affixes again and again ?

Oh, right. I don't think any of the bugs are fixed yet. I got +1 INT 3 times in a row, plus you can't even donate gain after a reset unless you zone out. Gaz gonna Gaz.

I'm not uninstalling yet, but I'm pretty sure I'm done. Have been for a while tbf.

TimFL

The cosmic trial is a cakewalk, yes. Which will make it more of a rude awakening for people when they first zone into cosmic zones or try to do purple/cosmic Danger Room, because that content is way overtuned in comparison to the trial, and fresh 60 gear is not gonna cut it.

Oh, right. I don't think any of the bugs are fixed yet. I got +1 INT 3 times in a row, plus you can't even donate gain after a reset unless you zone out. Gaz gonna Gaz.

I'm not uninstalling yet, but I'm pretty sure I'm done. Have been for a while tbf.

I donated some uniques to a few pets and I got different attributes. They were all crap (+1 and some +2) but they were different. I got int, speed, strength and energy.

zorbsie

Are servers down? I just tried to get on and got an error message asking me to update the game. It's the steam version pretty sure it's been updated.

Volimar

Opened up Steam and there was a huge ad for Marvel Heroes "BIGGEST UPDATE EVER".

Go to the store page and the reviews are tearing it apart.

Lord Phol

Having fun with the update so far. The new power system feels better and the majority of character reworks are positive IMO. Finding myself enjoying characters I didn't before like Nightcrawler, Magneto and Cyclops.
Not sure about the movement changes.

I actually think the new powers system is a good idea, but the attribute rework is the most bone-headed, half-assed, Gazillion thing ever. Every character just has two arbitrary stats that increase their damage by 4%, but they're not even always stats that make sense. Magneto has Int and Durability, not Energy, despite all his damage being energy. Like, what the fuck. On top of that the attributes still have some OTHER stat bonus too, some of which don't really synergize at all with the type of hero (Magneto and Durability being a prime example again). This is another thing that was called out many times on PTR, but here we are Live, with this half-assed system. They're even changing some character's attributes in the next patch, so fuck you if you're not reading the forums religiously, basically. It's just so fucking stupid, it's amazing to me that made it to the final build. "We want characters to have primary attributes that make sense!" *gives Magneto durability*

They've done a lot of work to story mode though, if it wasn't yet abundantly clear that their effort now is making the new user experience better for when the console version launches, at the expense of making current players unhappy.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
When I went earlier the recent reviews said Mixed and now it says Mostly Negative.

yes truly steam reviews are very informative

"I did not have thousand of hours spent on this game. I was not a veteran. But let me tell you something, even for me, the infinity system, the change to the movement abilities, the reduction of the action bars (now you can only have 8 active skills instead of -all of them- like I used to have with my deadpool) and the change on some items and unique items (for my deadpool) it just seems they wanted to dumbify the game. And make it less fun."

what is this magical game where you could have ALL the skills again? You had 8 maxed, and then like 1 or 2 "1 pointers" like the dashes or the vulnerability skills. Unless this guy didnt max skills, and had 16 diffrent skills, except there arent 16 different skills for a proper build, so what, he has a bar of ranged and a bar of melee, with half assed skill points or something?

Mweh why do I even bother, I should take the Dec approach.

Indignate

I mean if you're here to play Deadpool then you might not as well take the game seriously because Deadpool is your favorite character and your 9.

Rhaknar

I mean if you're here to play Deadpool then you might not as well take the game seriously because Deadpool is your favorite character and your 9.

hey man, hey... that's...

Youre' not wrong :(

yes truly steam reviews are very informative

"I did not have thousand of hours spent on this game. I was not a veteran. But let me tell you something, even for me, the infinity system, the change to the movement abilities, the reduction of the action bars (now you can only have 8 active skills instead of -all of them- like I used to have with my deadpool) and the change on some items and unique items (for my deadpool) it just seems they wanted to dumbify the game. And make it less fun."

what is this magical game where you could have ALL the skills again? You had 8 maxed, and then like 1 or 2 "1 pointers" like the dashes or the vulnerability skills. Unless this guy didnt max skills, and had 16 diffrent skills, except there arent 16 different skills for a proper build, so what, he has a bar of ranged and a bar of melee, with half assed skill points or something?

Mweh why do I even bother, I should take the Dec approach.

"Dumbify"

I had a friend ask if I wanted to start this game due to the new update. I installed it, but found out I had played the game for a whopping 20 minutes several years ago, and couldn't choose Iron Fist. I ended up uninstalling since I didn't feel like making another account to play as him without spending real money on the game. I take it that was the right decision given on the posts in this thread and all the negative reviews from people with 1000+ hours on the Steam page?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I had a friend ask if I wanted to start this game due to the new update. I installed it, but found out I had played the game for a whopping 20 minutes several years ago, and couldn't choose Iron Fist. I ended up uninstalling since I didn't feel like making another account to play as him without spending real money on the game. I take it that was the right decision given on the posts in this thread and all the negative reviews from people with 1000+ hours on the Steam page?

Eh, not really. A lot of the changes in the big patch are for the better and people are just lashing out against change being change. Also, it shouldn't take terribly long to get enough Eternity Splinters to unlock another hero (such as Iron Fist) for free.

HOWEVER

I think it was definitely a mistake to unleash these major gameplay/itemization changes before implementing the actual new items people are going to want to hunt for. It makes the patch feel kind of half baked as people don't really have any payoff or incentive to re-learn their favorite character beyond just being able to function in the game. Items they already had may feel nerfed due to overall game system changes, but there is a definite lack of cool new items to get as replacements. That stuff isn't coming for a little while still.

No, I main iron fist, he's relatively unchanged, it's mostly just the movement changes that are bothering me. But seeing how you don't even remember playing the game that shouldn't be a big deal either.
Most changes should be very good for new players.

Blank!

any ETA on the item update? I'd like to check out the new update but why farm shit if it's all going to be worthless when the patch hits.

I think it was definitely a mistake to unleash these major gameplay/itemization changes before implementing the actual new items people are going to want to hunt for. It makes the patch feel kind of half baked as people don't really have any payoff or incentive to re-learn their favorite character beyond just being able to function in the game. Items they already had may feel nerfed due to overall game system changes, but there is a definite lack of cool new items to get as replacements. That stuff isn't coming for a little while still.

Yeah that's really the thing. A lot of the hero reworks are good, but the system-wide changes means us old-timers have to re-gear everyone just to function again, as you say, with comparable effectiveness as before. And then once you've done the work it's like... that's it. There's no new content, not even new items to hunt for. It's a half-done job.

I guess my bitterness stems mostly from that, and that I think the movement changes suck ass, still, especially for melee heroes. I definitely don't think their story of "it's so we can make more interesting encounters!" holds up at all, for any of the content currently in-game.

The new talent trees/one hotbar though? Some individual issues aside, that was absolutely necessary and a good change. I think for players who aren't already deeply invested, this is a good update. Although if they want to make the game more accessible and improve on-boarding, they could still stand to go a lot further in reducing item/gear clutter, among other things. The relic system comes to mind, it's such an inventory hog.

DrBo42

Had some fun with Spider-Man earlier today but a competent hook appears to be missing in the game. Uniques don't feel like a special drop, my character doesn't feel like it's growing in power as I level. Something definitely feels missing, at least in a zone like Midtown. Maybe the fresh character through story experience feels appropriate now but the grind zones feel like shit. Will have to investigate.

any ETA on the item update? I'd like to check out the new update but why farm shit if it's all going to be worthless when the patch hits.

Yeah, I'm thinking I'm going to wait until that hits to load it back up. I actually like a lot of what I've read about the skill changes, but if there is another big update coming that actually fixes the itemization around the new stuff then I'm just going to wait.

Moondrop

Banned
Finally got a chance to check out this shitshow.

General: Talents are a really nice system. I've only played a few heroes, but movement changes seem to adversely affect some characters way more than others. And I can definitely see the "respect the stick" effect while melee channeling. And what does the "basic" tag even mean on a character without a spirit resource? Despite the raw state of the game, I want to keep playing to see if I can find a super fun hero hiding inside.

Kitty: She's unplayable right now- her signature has you chill underground for 15 seconds. Plus there's a subtle bug with her phasing where she won't pass through if she's a certain distance away from the wall when initiated. I can still make a non-sword phasing build, yay, but she doesn't even have 8 powers without dipping into Lockheed. Kitty could be in a good place once the fires are out.

Green Goblin: My movement build is mostly unchanged, perhaps a bit of the synergy stripped. Nothing really compelling added except fitting sonic toads into my build.

Those are the only characters I've prestiged and maxed; my only other current 60s are those with canonical white names.

Black Cat: Most interesting build I've encountered so far post-patch has to be permastealth traps, but it appears to do no damage (even given all the changes). Strong echoes of my Sue Summoner build.

Emma Frost: Mental Emma has some pretty fun powers. But it means playing with no dash or CC break, so, uh, Ziggurat?

Iceman: I tried a chill build and it seemed pretty effective. Not amazingly fun to me though.

Moon Knight: Some really good new elements in his ranged build, particularly that signature. But not sure if it all comes together.

Punisher: Squishy as silly putty, but still somehow the most fun hero I played today. I really enjoy the manual reload mechanic and its interaction with ammo spenders and non-spenders.

Silver Surfer: Movement build isn't fun with limited board dashing. But the way they artificially slowed down the animation at the end of his teleport is hilarious.

Storm: Probably my most effective hero at the moment; I slapped together a persistent AoE build and could still beat a cosmic terminal without dying. Pretty solid.

Venom: He seems to have all of his OP tricks at first glance, but my hardly geared Venom was super squishy and weak. I guess he actually requires gear now.

Vision: Bugged. But he's got some nice options with not having to phase shift and melee/range interactions... though I still find his kit boring.

Everyone else on my roster is level 1.

Finaika

I actually think the new powers system is a good idea, but the attribute rework is the most bone-headed, half-assed, Gazillion thing ever. Every character just has two arbitrary stats that increase their damage by 4%, but they're not even always stats that make sense. Magneto has Int and Durability, not Energy, despite all his damage being energy. Like, what the fuck. On top of that the attributes still have some OTHER stat bonus too, some of which don't really synergize at all with the type of hero (Magneto and Durability being a prime example again). This is another thing that was called out many times on PTR, but here we are Live, with this half-assed system. They're even changing some character's attributes in the next patch, so fuck you if you're not reading the forums religiously, basically. It's just so fucking stupid, it's amazing to me that made it to the final build. "We want characters to have primary attributes that make sense!" *gives Magneto durability*

They've done a lot of work to story mode though, if it wasn't yet abundantly clear that their effort now is making the new user experience better for when the console version launches, at the expense of making current players unhappy.

Magneto was pretty durable in Ultimatum.

Zurick

Banned
Yeah, I'm thinking I'm going to wait until that hits to load it back up. I actually like a lot of what I've read about the skill changes, but if there is another big update coming that actually fixes the itemization around the new stuff then I'm just going to wait.

Most of the itemization changes are in. Just new items, and Omega items left as far as I know. A lot of the itemization changes are pretty fun right now.

hamchan

Saw the notification on Steam about the biggest update ever. Thought it would be good to jump back into this game to play a bit right before a whole bunch of games drop in a few days. But now I see on Steam that everyone hates this update. That's a shame since obviously a lot of effort seems to have gone into it and the devs have always seemed to do right by the game and the community. That they've made a misstep with what is their biggest update is a real shame.

Dec

Green Goblin: My movement build is mostly unchanged, perhaps a bit of the synergy stripped. Nothing really compelling added except fitting sonic toads into my build.

This is the one I am most disappointed about for reasons I've already talked about enough, but also because his synergy is Strength+Speed. A lot of characters I've just swapped a few things out for but for Gob he requires an entire rework of gear and is the exact same as before but worse playing.

I might never play him again. Him and Blade were the only two I've played for like 6 months.

But while he came out shit, Star-Lord and Moon Knight seem much improved.

Another one that got shit is Winter Soldier. There is not a single thing in the world that anyone can do to make Gaz give a shit about that guy apparently. Not even making him a main character in their biggest movies.

DNF

I donated some uniques to a few pets and I got different attributes. They were all crap (+1 and some +2) but they were different. I got int, speed, strength and energy.

you are talking about a "fresh" pet getting their unique stats for the first time i believe ?

we were talking about trying to change the stats on one that already has them.

but since they turned of the pet re-roll thing now, it doesn't matter anyways.

-----

also it looks like they are changing the attributes to some characters again in the next patch:

Black Panther - Fighting / Intelligence

Cable - Fighting / Energy

Jean Grey - Energy / Intelligence

Juggernaut - Durability / Strength

Kitty - Fighting / Intelligence

Psylocke - Fighting / Intelligence

Rocket - Fighting / Energy

She-Hulk - Durability / Strength

Squirrel Girl - Fighting / Speed

War Machine - Durability / Strength

Winter Soldier - Strength / Fighting

so if any of us have already equipped new artifacts, we will likely have to do it again

Moondrop

Banned
Leveling: Straightforward but safe design choice to go with all powers by level 30, then all talents by 58. I can make it to 60 by the end of chapter 4 as a veteran, but it still takes a little while because story mode is indeed corridors now as inky observed.

Nightcrawler: Not so bad surprisingly; other teleport powers fill in enough during fights so he feels ok. His best build is with swords, getting lots of nice options and an absurd combo bar option. But I like to play without swords, and brimstone beatdown isn't tracking well and the signature seems bugged. Beyond that they still haven't provided a visual toggle for the sword a la Kitty.

Juggernaut: Movement build is awkwardly still there but not there- kind of like Green Goblin. You can follow a strict version of the old rotation, but an autofilling talent seems to build momentum faster. However you still have to kill the time until elbows with now redundant skills. And then there's a strange variant movement build where you can use his signature like a spender. Another favorite build to the graveyard.

like i said omega items are certainly very far out

Normal is closest to what Story Mode and Green/Red Terminals were previously. It's great for a first play through or if you just want to mow down enemies without too much thought or effort.

Heroic is somewhere between the old Cosmic Terminals and Cosmic Midtown/Patrol zones. It should be appropriate for players who could previously pass the Cosmic Trial. This encompasses the majority of our end-game heroes.

Cosmic is intended to be near the top of difficulty curve and somewhere between the old Epic and Cosmic Danger Room scenarios. The majority of heroes should not be able to complete this difficulty efficiently, otherwise it would not live up to its name as our hardest current difficulty.

A big mistake we acknowledge is that using the term "Cosmic" for the last difficulty confused many players who were previously able to dominate Cosmic Terminals and Cosmic Patrols. Although we are not changing this word in the next patch, we are definitely going to come up with a better collection of names for our eventual difficulty levels.

What we'd like to emphasize is that having 3 different difficulties allows us to set up a huge range of challenge from very easy to very difficult. We are no longer limited to having end-game players roll through every single piece of content because we needed that one mode to be accessible to a large number of players.

So, on to the questions you're wondering about most:

Q: Are we going to reduce boss health or damage in Cosmic Difficulty?

A: For the upcoming patch, we are going to focus on a myriad of bug fixes. Thus, we will be closely monitoring the metrics and player performance in Cosmic regions this week and consider mob tuning changes for the following week. There were just so many changes to items, attributes, the Infinity System, team-ups, powers, and talents that it will take at minimum one to two weeks for players to really start optimizing their builds and performing close to their potential.

Q: Are we going to increase rewards in Cosmic Difficulty?

A: The answer is yes, but not in this next patch. Work has been ongoing to update loot tables to match the difficulty of each difficulty mode, and how much we increase rewards by will depend greatly on how fast players are completing the content. We know many players are looking forward to Omega Items, which are not coming in the near term, but what we are focusing on right now is that for those who can efficiently clear either Heroic or Cosmic Difficulty, the rewards are clearly better than just going down to the next lower difficulty.

inky

rml54fV.png

Thanks guys! I can honestly say you are the only group of people on GAF with which it was a joy to share a group, game and a thread with. See you around. <3

Xevren

Lol at introducing new difficulty levels without adjusting the loot tables.

This is absolutely my #1 problem. Right now you're only real option is to level up characters, and when a lot of us have leveled up damn near the entire cast that's the last thing I really want to do. Their priorities are fucking weird.

Damn, sad to see you go Inky :(

rml54fV.png

Thanks guys! I can honestly say you are the only group of people on GAF with which it was a joy to share a group, game and a thread with. See you around. <3

Great, now we've got state-run media. How long before frosty starts shipping off "quarrelsome" voices to the gulag?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I messed around with summoner loki a bit this morning and it's pretty cool overall, but there's no more on-demand spirit regen like there used to be so that's kind of an issue.

Top Bottom