• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel is dumb. Spider-Man gets organic webshooters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thefit

I haven't read a comic since around 1991 so please explain to me what in god names happened to the art ....they look like they just arrived from Japan everyting glossy and over or under exagerated wtf is up with everyone looking like a teen? no wrinkles, no blotchy paint , no hand painted shadowing thingy...how can people accept this crap as a comic? comic are supposed to be kindy fluggly within.

Ristamar

I was a huge Spider-Man fan when I was very young. I thought the organic shooters were a little weird at first, but I kinda like it now.

Ripclawe

Banned
I haven't read a comic since around 1991 so please explain to me what in god names happened to the art ....

I thought I was the only who thought WTF looking at it, it looks like Peter got his face smashed in.

thefit

Jesus he looks like one of those Love is characters and when did his fingers fall off and grow back as thumbs? Did Carnage do that to him? Carnage is still around right?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Haha.

Too bad the shitty movies have to rub themselves off on the comic series. So now the original material is being adapted to fit the adaptation. This is synergy at its worst.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
You know what would really be funny? If you tried to explain to someone from Darfur about how mad you were about Spider-Man getting organic web shooters.

karasu

I'm gonna miss the days when he used his brains and came up with all different types of webbing, or when he ran out of webbing and had to use his brain and figure out another way to solve the problem. Where is this webbing stored exactly? Spiders have a big asspack for it.

nomoment

Bacon said:
Fans bitching about organic web shooters is one of the greatest things ever.
Exactly. "Fans" are bitching. Marvel is just making this change to appeal to Joe Nobody, just walking out of Spider-Man 2. What about the guys that were here all along? The guys that stuck through the Clone Saga, and the Howard Mackie relaunch.

WHAT ABOUT US?!

Drensch said:
Sweet. It was hard for me to hate the movie and like the comic. Now I can hate both.
I'm just going to pretend the organic web-shooters never happened in the comics.

Seth C said:
Oh just quit your bitching. I read about 5 Spider-Man related comics, he's my favorite super hero, and I still don't mind the change.
You're reading about 3 Spider-Man books too many.

Aren't you going to miss the "uh-oh, I'm out of web-fluid" moments? I will. (A shame nobody ever writes theses in anymore).

Now, Marvel is going to come up with some poor reasoning to explain the organic webshooters. When Peter is bumping uglies with Mary Jane, do the organic webshooters "shoot" as well?

DeadStar said:
organic >> mechanical
Please explain.

thefit said:
I haven't read a comic since around 1991 so please explain to me what in god names happened to the art ....they look like they just arrived from Japan everyting glossy and over or under exagerated wtf is up with everyone looking like a teen? no wrinkles, no blotchy paint , no hand painted shadowing thingy...how can people accept this crap as a comic? comic are supposed to be kindy fluggly within.
This faux-manga art style is only used in a few titles. Unfortunately, Spectacular Spider-Man, wide regarded as "the Spider-Man title for douchebags" is one of these titles. I can post some decent art if you'd like.

shuri said:
I really dont like the photoshop-enchanced look of modern comics.
You and me both, brother.

thefit

Its tored in his balls, that right he's cuming in that last frame after he kisses Mary Jane. Din't you get the sexual inuendo there? He's also re-incating the hair scene from There's Something About Mary, when stiler sqeezes one onto his face...ewww.

nomoment

Ristamar said:
I was a huge Spider-Man fan when I was very young. I thought the organic shooters were a little weird at first, but I kinda like it now.
Exactly, you're not a Spider-Man fan anymore. Therefore, you "kinda like" the organic webshooters.

It all makes sense!

Ristamar

nomoment said:
Exactly, you're not a Spider-Man fan anymore. Therefore, you "kinda like" the organic webshooters.

It all makes sense!

No, I'm a casual fan. Sorry, I'm not hardcore. However, I would think if people can stomach the general absurdity of comics that have been running for decades with the same character(s) in a huge clusterfuck of alternate timelines, clones, time travel, etc, and a penchant for finding ways of rewriting history, I'd think they could handle a small change like this.

karasu said:
I'm gonna miss the days when he used his brains and came up with all different types of webbing, or when he ran out of webbing and had to use his brain and figure out another way to solve the problem. Where is this webbing stored exactly? Spiders have a big asspack for it.

Thats exactly why I liked the mechanical webshooters.

Seth C

nomoment said:
You're reading about 3 Spider-Man books too many.

Aren't you going to miss the "uh-oh, I'm out of web-fluid" moments? I will. (A shame nobody ever writes theses in anymore).

You're right, but Spectacular is not one of them. The first one I'd drop would be Amazing. It's complete and total shit. Has been for ages now. I don't even buy it, just reead it at the shop.

No, I won't miss those moments, because they never happened anyway.

Seth C

Ristamar said:
No, I'm a casual fan. Sorry, I'm not hardcore. However, I would think if people can stomach the general absurdity of comics that have been running for decades with the same character(s) in a huge clusterfuck of alternate timelines, clones, time travel, etc, and a penchant for finding ways of rewriting history, I'd think they could handle a small change like this.

No shit. Of course, nomoment rarely says or does anything regarding comic books that actually makes sense.

I'm sure the effect will end up "wearing off" some years down the road when the writers get tired of it anyway. It's no big deal. They didn't even try to re-write Spidey's history (he still used his smarts and developed the web shooters, etc.). He basically became a spider, due to the affects of a mutant, and this is what was left over as a result.

G4life98

uh for you people woried about losing those " outta web fluid moments", just stop and think...does any bodily fluid have an infinte supply?

and who knows what properties they will give the organic webbing, so the web fluid and its many variations will probably still be used.

I don't give a shit if mechanical shooter is the tradition. The tradition was idiotic!

What makes more sense? A teenager is able to invent the strongest known artificial fiber that shoots out of pill sized catridges in his basement lab in few months (weeks?) after being bitten by a radioactive spider, or the same radioactive spider bite that changed his body physiology to climb walls and super human strength and agility also gave him organic web shooters?

The organic shooter is much more sensical than mechanical. Deal with it.

Seth C

karasu said:
I'm gonna miss the days when he used his brains and came up with all different types of webbing, or when he ran out of webbing and had to use his brain and figure out another way to solve the problem.

And if you read the article you'll plainly see they can still do all of those things. He still DID come up with all of those webbings. They are not re-writing Spider-Man's past. He can still run out of webbing. Hell, they basically already did it in the Spider-Man 2 movie. He can run out of organic webbing just as easily as he can synthetic.

If there were interesting stories that hadn't been done involving the web shooters themselves, I could understand the fuss. There aren't, or they've already been done. The fact that Spider-Man could shoot webs had just become an accepted ability of the character. For years now where they come from has been a completely unimportant, non-existent part of any Spider-Man storyline.

I'm a hardcore Spider-Man fan. If they were re-writing his history I'd be upset. They aren't, so I look forward to seeing how the writers deal with the change.

luxsol

Neh... I think this is a good move, but a little late. I had been reading Spiderman in the 80s and stopped somewhere in the mid 90s. Marvel started the 2099 line with Spiderman who had organic webshooters and i thought "geez, this makes a lot more sense than some non-scientist kid making mechanical 'webshooters.'" The 60s was full of cornball ideas and I'm glad that writers try and update the image of characters (course, they really overdo it most of the time).

BTW, does the Ultimate Spiderman use mechanical or organic webshooters?

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
Organic Web shooters make more sense.. But changing stuff around is stupid. I dont read the comics or am that big of a fan of Spidey myself but I can imagine how upsetting this may be for long time readers.

luxsol

Also... I've been hearing a lot about Aunt May being alive in the comics again. WTF????
Everything that happened in the mid-90s and later seems to not have happened. Did people like these revisions? If so... how can you complain about these newer ones? =P

I'm really against writing certain things out or pretending somethings never happened.. or just plain changing continuity around in the main series. Isn't this why the Ultimate universe was made? So that they can start all over again and draw in a new audience with updated versions of old characters?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Drensch said:
It'd be neat to see Superman get a jet pack and a laser gun.
Well, they did make him an electro being once, didn't they? And then didn't they split him in half or some stupid shit like that?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Hopefully they have a better explanation than the first movie.

Peter Parker: "I took a nap and woke up with new organs! This isn't disturbing at all, woohoo!"

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Fuck all that super powered web shit, Punisher has it right: Just shoot the fuckers in the head and be done with it.

Dead

well not really...yet
Shouta said:
heh its allright, but it doesnt hold a candle to Terry Dodsons Black Cat

Spider-Man-Black_Cat_1_complete.jpg
Spider-Man-Black_Cat_2_complete.jpg

Shinobi

Ristamar said:

Heh...

Can't say I care...soon as I saw the thread title, I thought to myself "well, who cares...when's the last time the web cartridges were a big fucking deal in one of his stories?". If someone has the answer let me know, cause as of now I'm thinking you'd have to go back to pre-Clone War stories.

nomoment

Dodson's Black Cat > Everybody else's Black Cat.

And Shouta, please don't link to the pages in the article. They're all butt-ugly. Let me post some real Spider-Man art, ala Frank Cho:

(I swear, someone needs to give this guy a regular Spider-Man assignment. He's drawn the best version of the character and villains I've seen in a while)

http://www.newsarama.com/Marvel/Spider-_Man/MK_SPIDEY_5_1.jpg

http://www.newsarama.com/Marvel/Spider-_Man/MKSM0807.jpg

http://www.newsarama.com/Marvel/Spider-_Man/MKSM0808.jpg

http://www.newsarama.com/Marvel/Spider-_Man/MKSM0809.jpg

http://www.newsarama.com/Marvel/Spider-_Man/MKSM0813.jpg

http://www.newsarama.com/Marvel/Spider-_Man/MKSM0816REVISED.jpg

http://www.newsarama.com/Marvel/Spider-_Man/MKSM0821REVISED.jpg

Simply gorgeous.

Dead

well not really...yet
I dont like that venom but his spidey is awesome. very...."old school" for lack of a better term.

One of my recent favorites was definately spider man blue. Sale is fantastic.

nomoment

DeadStar said:
I dont like that venom but his spidey is awesome. very...."old school" for lack of a better term.

One of my recent favorites was definately spider man blue. Sale is fantastic.
Regarding Venom, I'm pretty sure Eddie Brock will return as the "normal" Venom by the end of MK: Spider-Man #8. We'll see.

And yeah, I absolutely love Tim Sale's Spider-Man (and New York, as well). His art in general, is very impressionistic -- which I feel an artist must possess if he wants to draw a good Spider-Man. Of the recent Spider-Man artists, I'd say Terry Dodson, Frank Cho, Tim Sale, and (probably) Mark Buckingham have managed to pull off this new, "old school" look.

Shouta

That's pretty good. It is really old-school in feel (although a bit sleeker). I don't like the Venom though. Well, it's more so the fact that looking at his face in the B&W makes me think of Spawn (*shudder*).

You know very well why I linked it, to show what fugly looks like ;p.

Oh and about Dodson's Black Cat, I remembered what I didn't like about. It was his facial/head design for her. It was always too feral for me which I didn't like. It makes me think she's going were-cat on me and rip my face out whenever I look at his work. The Black Cat that's in the link I posted struck a cord with me because of the subdued and slightly smug look on her face and the more "normal" structure of her features. I reiterate though, though Dodson gets a "Mmmmm" for shiny :D

ShadowRed

Banned
Shinobi said:
Heh...

Can't say I care...soon as I saw the thread title, I thought to myself "well, who cares...when's the last time the web cartridges were a big fucking deal in one of his stories?". If someone has the answer let me know, cause as of now I'm thinking you'd have to go back to pre-Clone War stories.

THANK FUCKING YOU!!!! When was the last time running out of webbing was an issue for Spiderman. I'm willing to bet that in the 50 years the comic has been published no more than 10 times has his webbing or lack of been made an issue. It's like the Flash, he's supposedly the fasteest man on Earth, can run through time and vibrate through walls. If this was true then all the Flash comics would be the same thing. he finds out the bad guy is up to something so he runs back in time and stops him the day before the villain starts his plan. Does this happen, no. he's only the fasterest man alive when the writers need him to be, likewise with Spiderman and his shooter, only when their is need for drama does he run out, and that happenes far and few between. .

nomoment

ShadowRed said:
THANK FUCKING YOU!!!! When was the last time running out of webbing was an issue for Spiderman. I'm willing to bet that in the 50 years the comic has been published no more than 10 times has his webbing or lack of been made an issue. It's like the Flash, he's supposedly the fasteest man on Earth, can run through time and vibrate through walls. If this was true then all the Flash comics would be the same thing. he finds out the bad guy is up to something so he runs back in time and stops him the day before the villain starts his plan. Does this happen, no. he's only the fasterest man alive when the writers need him to be, likewise with Spiderman and his shooter, only when their is need for drama does he run out, and that happenes far and few between. .
A few important points:

1. Running out of webbing hasn't been an issue for Spider-Man lately because the writers no longer need it. The medium has evolved to the extent where characters don't need the "running out a webbing factor" as comic relief, or as a cheap cliffhanger. However, just because the writers don't need this motif, doesn't mean they can't use it. The introduction of organic webbing removes the possibility of this "classic" moment. (And yes, I know Breevort says in the interview that Spidey can run out of organic webbing, etc., but it won't be the same.)

2. The current Flash can't run back in time without the Cosmic Treadmill. He also can't vibrate through solid objects without causing them to explode. The Flash hasn't been able to do this stuff since pre-Crisis!

And suggesting that the Flash should travel back in time to stop a villain before he starts is absurd. Haven't you learned anything? You can't travel back in time and alter the past without severely fucking up the future!

karasu

Shinobi said:
Heh...

Running out of webbing is only one side of it. I also liked how he came up with different types of webbing, impact webbing and shit. And mainly, it's lame to change something just because a fucking movie is popular. It's like they think the movie was popular because of his Organic webbing for crying out loud.

The science shit is a stupid excuse though. I hate when people say "How is a kid gonna create super sticky shit that Nasa hasn't created". For one people create useful crap that Nasa hasn't created all of the time, and two this isa fucking comic where cops tend to fly around with jetpacks,goverments create 100 foot tll robots with a vast array of superpowers, and the cure for pimples is a holographic projector.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
nomoment said:
Exactly. "Fans" are bitching. Marvel is just making this change to appeal to Joe Nobody, just walking out of Spider-Man 2. What about the guys that were here all along? The guys that stuck through the Clone Saga, and the Howard Mackie relaunch.

WHAT ABOUT US?!

Unfortunately, you don't matter to these comic book publishers, because the bottom line is that despite all the fanboy bitching about changes to their beloeved characters, they all continue to buy the books anyway. It's getting new readers that Marvel is concerned about.

And yeah, giving Spider-Man organic web shooters is really lame. I thought they created the Ultimate universe to do crap like this? :p

Asbel

>He also can't vibrate through solid objects without causing them to explode.

A tangent to the thread but I'm pretty sure Flash could do this during Waid's run since even Impulse could do it. I take it Johns changed that. I personally liked all the things Flash could do around the speed of light since it's theoretically possible in quantum physics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom