• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

Spoit

Thanks to whoever Sr0c is on here. Those 3 CPs were enough to push me over to a token. Which was yay because of a bonus peggy, but a boo because it's the 2nd blue cover this week, which is my only maxed color on her. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to 4 more yellow/reds in 2 weeks either :(

Got my last two Gwenpool covers from Enemy of the State, and then got one from a Heroic token right after. She's still at Lv 74, so I'm not bothering, I sold the cover. Currently champing Drax anyway, he's at Lv 220. About to sell two maxed, championed 2-stars anyway, that'll make Drax a breeze.

zulux21

I should mention that like usual this event is across days I work, and I have plans after work the next 3 days as well, so beyond this wave I am not sure how much i will get done, I will try to get some hits in but I make no promises.

I should mention that like usual this event is across days I work, and I have plans after work the next 3 days as well, so beyond this wave I am not sure how much i will get done, I will try to get some hits in but I make no promises.

I guess I'm gonna have to carry the team again.

Triz

Ive got all my clears in so far and in first now. But those who join a bit later will always get more points based on how they are distributed.

*edit* Noticed Ultron wasn't giving any rewards for clearing him. Has this changed since past events? I see I collected 8/8 rewards, I just thought he always gave some bonus?

Ive got all my clears in so far and in first now. But those who join a bit later will always get more points based on how they are distributed.

*edit* Noticed Ultron wasn't giving any rewards for clearing him. Has this changed since past events? I see I collected 8/8 rewards, I just thought he always gave some bonus?

They changed that a while ago. Pretty much all bosses now give out 8 rewards per round and then nothing. With 3 of the rewards being CP (first, fourth, sixth).

zulux21

Sorry folks, I've been traveling for pretty much two day straight so my contribution has been garbage.

it happens.

it's hard to time for these events especially if they only give a day or two advance notice.

i mean I have done a few hits on the boss, since this morning, but I am working on dinner and about to head out... from which I get to come home, go to sleep, go to work, come home, eat lunch, head out, go home, go to sleep, go to work, come home... eat dinner, and hang with a coworker, and then finally I am free for a bit lol.

Lazy Cap, IM40, XF Deadpool. It's basically if I can get off a recharge before anyone dies, I win. If I can't, I lose.

Edit: If/When we get to level 8, I'll probably try OML or XFD, Fist, and Ghost Rider. Just try to get enough black for a Penance Stare and hope you can keep him alive long enough to use it.

zulux21

I hate how stupidly hard Ultron gets by this round.

as do I, that being said I killed him by letting him only take 2 turns lol. (getting a shot in before work)

I am using iron fist + 4 star cyclops + hulkbuster with +2 red/yellow/blue/purple and +2 all.

I started off with 3 5 matches and then set up a 4 match that lead to another 5 match.... two of the 5 matches were purple, and the other two were red.

I then spammed purple to make black which kept 4/5 matching into more purple and red and even though my hulkbuster only over drives for 5 red I got 30 red, punched, and then black comboed a bit more and finally ended it with cyclops blue because he was down that low lol.

MiTYH

GSBW, 2* Magneto, and 3* Hulk. Beat a round 7 Ultron, basically relying on good board control and not letting him get a hit off- I think it's 18k a bomb, which is more than enough to KO my strongest units

Triz

Ive almost hit max progression. 2 more Ultron fights should do it, as long as I can clear a node from the next refresh lol.

zulux21

I gave up. However I did pull a Silver Surfer from a classic Legendary token today. 2/2/2

i'll try to put in a few more hits... i mean we have him like half dead in like 12 hours and have 24 to go... so it's possible to get that token o_O

note: I have no grasp of time, my 12 hours could be way off lol.

i'll try to put in a few more hits... i mean we have him like half dead in like 12 hours and have 24 to go... so it's possible to get that token o_O

note: I have no grasp of time, my 12 hours could be way off lol.

Not that far. About 13-14 or so. But that 13 basically took 3-4 refreshes, and we only have 3 more (3AM CDT, 11AM CDT, 7PM CDT). Doable, but like half of us would need to grind out a level 8 Ultron, which I don't know that we can pull off.

Edit: Just reached max progression, pulled the token and....5* Hawkeye (and Full Quiver to boot). I did not want to spend the HP to roster him right now.

Second edit: Just did the math. Each refresh is basically about 300,000 if you beat Ultron 5 times (360K if you do 6). Which means we need 14-16 full clears total. So we can do this with about 5-6 people going full out today, or 10-12 half assing it. Or to put it another way, we have to beat Ultron about 80 more times.

zulux21

Not that far. About 13-14 or so. But that 13 basically took 3-4 refreshes, and we only have 3 more (3AM CDT, 11AM CDT, 7PM CDT). Doable, but like half of us would need to grind out a level 8 Ultron, which I don't know that we can pull off.

Edit: Just reached max progression, pulled the token and....5* Hawkeye (and Full Quiver to boot). I did not want to spend the HP to roster him right now.

Second edit: Just did the math. Each refresh is basically about 300,000 if you beat Ultron 5 times (360K if you do 6). Which means we need 14-16 full clears total. So we can do this with about 5-6 people going full out today, or 10-12 half assing it. Or to put it another way, we have to beat Ultron about 80 more times.

I just put in about 2 full hits. 1 full kill and one unfortunate round where I only got him 80% dead because my IF took a crit hit first round #_#

but yeah I am having good luck with iron fist + hulkbuster + 4 star cyclops and then boosting red/yellow/blue/purple and all.

two purple matches and I can put a bunch of black tiles on the board usually comboing into other ap. and I can use hulkbuster to boost damage and make read, and then either hit hard with hulkbuster or use cyclops to manipulate the stage a bit to match bombs.

not perfect but seems to be working decently.

I just put in about 2 full hits. 1 full kill and one unfortunate round where I only got him 80% dead because my IF took a crit hit first round #_#

but yeah I am having good luck with iron fist + hulkbuster + 4 star cyclops and then boosting red/yellow/blue/purple and all.

two purple matches and I can put a bunch of black tiles on the board usually comboing into other ap. and I can use hulkbuster to boost damage and make read, and then either hit hard with hulkbuster or use cyclops to manipulate the stage a bit to match bombs.

not perfect but seems to be working decently.

IM40, Lazy Cap and XF Deadpool still working great here, but I'm boosting +2 R/Y each turn just to make sure I get Recharge off. But honestly, the real MVP is Countdown for What, since if I can fire that with some yellow near the bottom it's 3K each tile removed and I'm usually getting at least 3 of them knocked out.

zulux21

IM40, Lazy Cap and XF Deadpool still working great here, but I'm boosting +2 R/Y each turn just to make sure I get Recharge off. But honestly, the real MVP is Countdown for What, since if I can fire that with some yellow near the bottom it's 3K each tile removed and I'm usually getting at least 3 of them knocked out.

Iron man hasn't been of much use to me... RNG are not on my side and at least 2 of his recharge tiles are always destroyed if not all 3 because they are near the bottom :p

KuroNeeko

Hey y'all,

Just looking for some roster advice. The game has changed a lot since I last played and in the past it was recommended you max out one, maybe two 2★ teams and then start transitioning into 3★s, but now it seems like you have to "keep your 2★s" to do DDQs.

Still having roster space problems (like everyone else) and am a few HP away from my next slot. Here is my current roster. I am currently Rank 17. (The levels on those covers are actually higher. I have 2★ Stormneto championed and some of the 3★ leveled up to their soft cap.)

Can anyone with some extra time share some thoughts or advice?

In addition to the above, I have the following covers in my reward box.

3★ Luke Cage - Y
3★ Squirrel Girl - Y
3★ Captain Marvel - Y
3★ Iron Man - U, R

Considering dropping Hulk (or Psylocke: /) for Iron Man if I can't get another slot in time.

Also, since I'm out of spaces and half-assed on all of my 3★ covers, should I not be using Heroic Tokens? If that's the case, how do you get new covers--just from rewards and championing 2★s?

Thank you for your time!

Hey y'all,

Just looking for some roster advice. The game has changed a lot since I last played and in the past it was recommended you max out one, maybe two 2★ teams and then start transitioning into 3★s, but now it seems like you have to "keep your 2★s" to do DDQs.

Still having roster space problems (like everyone else) and am a few HP away from my next slot. Here is my current roster. I am currently Rank 17. (The levels on those covers are actually higher. I have 2★ Stormneto championed and some of the 3★ leveled up to their soft cap.)

Can anyone with some extra time share some thoughts or advice?

In addition to the above, I have the following covers in my reward box.

3★ Luke Cage - Y
3★ Squirrel Girl - Y
3★ Captain Marvel - Y
3★ Iron Man - U, R

Considering dropping Hulk (or Psylocke: /) for Iron Man if I can't get another slot in time.

Also, since I'm out of spaces and half-assed on all of my 3★ covers, should I not be using Heroic Tokens? If that's the case, how do you get new covers--just from rewards and championing 2★s?

Thank you for your time!

Keep Hulk (hulk-bombing* works well while transitioning). Dump Psylocke. Roster IM40 now. Roster and 2* Hawkeye (to give you IM40 covers, at least until the next time they change champ rewards).

Hulk-Bombing - Hulk, Patch (3* Wolverine) and a third. Once you get some black covers, basically you use Patch's green and put Hulk out front to soak up damage and create more green. If you luck into more HP, I'd roster Cap Marvel or Luke, and you might as well sell Squirrel Girl now as I'd put her last in order of importance.

And yes, I'd stop opening heroic tokens for now until you build up some HP. You can get covers from even placement and progression for now. It'll be a little slow at the moment, but then when you do open them, you'll be able to do a lot more with them.

KuroNeeko

Keep Hulk (hulk-bombing* works well while transitioning). Dump Psylocke. Roster IM40 now. Roster and 2* Hawkeye (to give you IM40 covers, at least until the next time they change champ rewards).

Hulk-Bombing - Hulk, Patch (3* Wolverine) and a third. Once you get some black covers, basically you use Patch's green and put Hulk out front to soak up damage and create more green. If you luck into more HP, I'd roster Cap Marvel or Luke, and you might as well sell Squirrel Girl now as I'd put her last in order of importance.

And yes, I'd stop opening heroic tokens for now until you build up some HP. You can get covers from even placement and progression for now. It'll be a little slow at the moment, but then when you do open them, you'll be able to do a lot more with them.

Thank you for replying again!

I will take your advice. I have already rostered IM40 and will roster Captain Marvel when I get another 40 HP or so. After that, I guess I have about two weeks to get another slot for the 2★ Hawkeye I have sitting in my box. ^^;

I don't mind throwing some money at the game if I keep playing, but with a new expansions in Hearthstone and Shadowverse (along with Mass Effect Andromeda) this month, my gaming budget is being stretched pretty thin. lol

shugdaddy

Neo Member
Ive neem using hulkbuster, xforce wolvie and iron fist with pretty good success. No boosts.

Hulk can take one bomb if neccesary. While i build res and black.

Dispatch

I've been pretty successful with Grey Suit Widow, Hulkbuster, and Chulk (all Championed). Hulkbuster is there to take a hit, if a bomb makes it to the bottom, and do massive damage. Widow and Chulk clear tiles.

I got the progression yesterday and pulled a Luke Cage as well.

I'll try and hit Ulton pretty hard today, since it looks like we're going for the reward.

Triz

I've been using Hulk Buster , 4pool , and crazy enough Invisible woman. Invisible is great when you want to block 20k damage from bombs.

Yeah, we can definitely do it. I have one more Ultron fight to do before the reset in like 6 hours. And then with the reset I can probably do all 5, so that's 300k points. Ultron only has 977k left.

Dispatch

Nice work. I logged back in to try and finish off Ultron, and he was already gone.

I got an Agent Venom for my troubles, but got my first 5 star Captain Marvel earlier, so it worked out.

Triz

2 notes: boosted Starlord paired with 4 star cyclops is fucking cheat mode. So much red generation and quick hits for massive damage.

And 3 star hawkeye is a blue monster. Firing off arrows for dirt cheap and regen the blue when they pop. That's only with 7 covers on him.

Spoit

Talking about starlord, it was great fun (though probably not really the most effective) to pair him with captain marvel during that IF pvp. Once his passive triggered, IF's black generation was only a match a cast, so the board was flooded with black, and it didn't even matter that she was severely undercovered and leveled, because the CDs kept generating strikes everywhere, and popping to boost them up. Was doing like 4k a match/attack tile tick by the end of some of those rounds.

Dalek

I think that since his buff, Star-Lord has become like IM40 did after his buff. Went from nearly useless to an MVP support character. The possibilities are almost endless with him. I have to try that Cyclops pairing.

Edit: Tried it in PVE-wow that's nuts.

Spoit

But yeah, I really do need some theorycrafted teams for this pve. If I can manage top 10 T8, or top 5 T7 not sure which on is easier, I may actually be able to finish covering peggy before this blue expires.

It seems like there's no good hitter in this week's line up. Except maybe medusa? and I don't even have her!

Dalek

But yeah, I really do need some theorycrafted teams for this pve. If I can manage top 10 T8, or top 5 T7 not sure which on is easier, I may actually be able to finish covering peggy before this blue expires.

It seems like there's no good hitter in this week's line up. Except maybe medusa? and I don't even have her!

Star-Lord can do a shit-load of damage with his Red if you also get his purple out - along with the other countdown tiles he makes.

Spider-Gwen is boosted too-I have her championed and she can do 19,056 damage with 12 red. (1 less for each web tile too)

Spoit

Star-Lord can do a shit-load of damage with his Red if you also get his purple out - along with the other countdown tiles he makes.

Spider-Gwen is boosted too-I have her championed and she can do 19,056 damage with 12 red. (1 less for each web tile too)

I dunno, she seems kinda idiosyncratic to use in contexts other than her clash against miles, since he's waaaay better at pumping out webs. I guess I can try it out, but I don't have the ISO to spare to level either of them, if I'm going to (hopefully) level up peggy.

Probably am just going to end up just feeding SL with SW and IM40.

Either way, it sounds like this is going to be like 1:30+ final clears, which I'm definitely not looking forward to with likely a similar slog for initial clears. Times like this make me miss the "one clear every 8 hours" period. Or...maybe even the every 2 and a half. Basically, uuuuuugh pve is such a time sink

Dalek

I dunno, she seems kinda idiosyncratic to use in contexts other than her clash against miles, since he's waaaay better at pumping out webs. I guess I can try it out, but I don't have the ISO to spare to level either of them, if I'm going to (hopefully) level up peggy.

Probably am just going to end up just feeding SL with SW and IM40.

Either way, it sounds like this is going to be like 1:30+ final clears, which I'm definitely not looking forward to with likely a similar slog for initial clears. Times like this make me miss the "one clear every 8 hours" period. Or...maybe even the every 2 and a half. Basically, uuuuuugh pve is such a time sink

It really is. I'm glad Strange and Thanos came around to at least reduce the time for the easy/medium nodes.

Triz

I spend almost all of my time in PVE. I don't feel its a time sink, but I just play a few matches while I smoke my cigarettes outside....

Spoit

I spend almost all of my time in PVE. I don't feel its a time sink, but I just play a few matches while I smoke my cigarettes outside....

It might be the whole "optimal" thing leading to burn out. Gotta get that final 3x clear in as close to the deadline as humanely possible, while still making sure you don't leave any points on the board, and then immediately launching into the 4x initial clear. Since the difference between covers is often only a margin of like a hundred points, or like starting/finishing a clear 5-10 minutes later/earlier.

Triz

I don't even try for top 10 finishes...that's one way to piss you off. But if I Green check all nodes I get top 50 every time and I'm fine with that.

I don't even try for top 10 finishes...that's one way to piss you off. But if I Green check all nodes I get top 50 every time and I'm fine with that.

I've only gotten top ten 3 times, and two of those were when you could skip a couple weeks worth of PvE and end up in a noob bracket. The one time I've done it post Clearance Levels, it was such a grind that I realized that I might not ever do that again. And my 4 star characters are coming along just fine without it.

Triz

Exactly. Too much stress to try for top 10. Ignore that and progression will carry you just fine.

Hit 300 points in pvp for Luke cage and pulled a yellow coulson cover. Talk about lucky, it's the one cover that matters and I didn't get it yet.

Top Bottom