• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

LProtag

Stupid question probably, but what's a good team for a newbie to try out? Obviously I don't have the game yet so I don't really know how team dynamics work. I know you need a decent pointman and characters with beneficial assists for them.

If I'm interesting in using Dante (he seems fun) how would I go about building a team around him? Thanks!

Kimosabae

Banned
D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
InsertNameHere said:
Stupid question probably, but what's a good team for a newbie to try out? Obviously I don't have the game yet so I don't really know how team dynamics work. I know you need a decent pointman and characters with beneficial assists for them.

If I'm interesting in using Dante (he seems fun) how would I go about building a team around him? Thanks!

Dante fits on many teams as he can easily stand alone without specific assist though it is nice to pair him up with invincible assists (Haggar/Tron) or any low hitting assist (Wesker/X-23/Felicia/...) to create unblockables. Other than that I'd recommend Taskmaster if you want to try some zoning. He is also very beginner friendly because of the high health and easy high damage combos.

Also, while I dislike them myself team best friends (Wolverine/Akuma) will probably teach you a thing or two. Left/Right mixups for Wolverine, pretty easy high damage combos and the Akuma assist is a good way of learning to hitconfirm off of assists/do some basic mixups.

Other than that I'd say Hulk for his very easy combos that also lead to very high damage and a good character to learn how to punish things, though I would advise dropping Hulk once you get more used to the game as his mobility and mixup options are quite limiting.

Sentinel is another easy character to learn some basic zoning/assist usage and some flight mode trickery if you want to delve into him a bit more deeply.

Nyoro SF

Lariat is still a fully invincible assist. You just don't get as easy of a combo afterwards. Very dangerous if a person has good enough reactions to keep attacking you once Haggar knocks you into the air.

Lariat is still a fully invincible assist. You just don't get as easy of a combo afterwards. Very dangerous if a person has good enough reactions to keep attacking you once Haggar knocks you into the air.
Nope, it's no longer invincible on startup, just during the active frames. I've seen it stuffed plenty of times on UMvC3 streams. I don't mind it being invincible during the active frames, I just hate the startup invincibility.

Nyoro SF

Karsticles said:
Nope, it's no longer invincible on startup, just during the active frames. I've seen it stuffed plenty of times on UMvC3 streams. I don't mind it being invincible during the active frames, I just hate the startup invincibility.

So basically you have to pre-emptively call him to make it effective.

Looks like Haggar is going to get tossed in the Arthur bin if that's the case. Can't really see a reason to use him anymore since (sane) people were sticking with him as an assist crutch.

So basically you have to pre-emptively call him to make it effective.
Or call it during a blockstring for mix-ups, yeah. Viscant used Double Lariat for mix-ups on Dante a lot, and it worked very well.

Looks like Haggar is going to get tossed in the Arthur bin if that's the case. Can't really see a reason to use him anymore since (sane) people were sticking with him as an assist crutch.
I think Haggar will likely receive some buffs as a point character.

Karsticles said:
I think Haggar will likely receive some buffs as a point character.
There is a very small window of opportunity if they are tweaking him some more. They've got like another month and half before they need to settle things down for production. We'll probably see a new build some time around early September and the final build around late October if we are lucky.

Edit: More like two months. I completely forgot today's date lol.

There is a very small window of opportunity if they are tweaking him some more. They've got like another month and half before they need to settle things down for production. We'll probably see a new build some time around early September and the final build around late October if we are lucky.

Edit: More like two months. I completely forgot today's date lol.
Well, we know for a fact more changes are coming; Seth flat out said that some characters' new moves weren't yet implemented in the SDCC build. It seems likely that Haggar is among those characters, especially if they're giving him something interesting like the garbage can toss.

Edit: In past experiences, the public builds we get to test are already behind what Capcom has. Whenever Seth would publicly demo MvC3, he would make jokes about how the inputs were different from the one he was playing right now, or how something was taken out/added in and he forgot which version had which, etc. That's why I'm not too excited about Dormammu's buffs, or too upset about his nerf (there's only one AFAIK).

From the final public build to release, Dormammu received ~5 nerfs. Anything can change.

SRK forums...

heh
Karsticles said:
Well, we know for a fact more changes are coming; Seth flat out said that some characters' new moves weren't yet implemented in the SDCC build. It seems likely that Haggar is among those characters, especially if they're giving him something interesting like the garbage can toss.

Edit: In past experiences, the public builds we get to test are already behind what Capcom has. Whenever Seth would publicly demo MvC3, he would make jokes about how the inputs were different from the one he was playing right now, or how something was taken out/added in and he forgot which version had which, etc. That's why I'm not too excited about Dormammu's buffs, or too upset about his nerf (there's only one AFAIK).

From the final public build to release, Dormammu received ~5 nerfs. Anything can change.
I knew we were due for more changes, but I had no idea there were new moves which were not implemented yet. They are obviously moving at a faster pace than I thought.

Awesome

I'm trying not to hope for a new move for Dormammu. He really doesn't need it anyway, just some tweaks to a few of his Liberations to make them worth using. 1D2C, 2D1C, and 3D0C are incredible. 0D3C is worthless, as are all of his non-maxed Liberations outside of 1D1C. There's an easy way to fix it, but I doubt Capcom would do it.

They're still putting the finishing touches on Haggar's teleport and flight mode.
That's already in the game. You just need to learn how to time 3 HCBs while in the air.

Why does shoryuken.com suck so bad
Their forums changed to make them shinier, but they are operatively inferior.

I've got it! To buff Haggar they just need to bring in another mechanic from Final Fight.

When Haggar dies, your second Haggar falls in from the top of the screen with a full lifebar and temporary invincibility, and all onscreen enemy characters get hit for a knockdown.

Haggar fixed!

Kimosabae said:
People still haven't figured out that the Devil Trigger set is just DT -> Dash? I think people have actually been doing that a long time. I'm pretty sure Evo wasn't the first place I saw that.
If you mean the PR Rog thing, I think it has more to do with the fact that Davil Trigger activation keeps your opponent off screen for a few frames. If you notice, PR Rog only activates it when the opponent is practically on top of him. The confusion is that Dante faces forward during the animation, but by the time the activation is over, you're actually behind him. I could be wrong though.

Karsticles said:
They're even renaming him to Tin Man.

Really though, let's not get too worried until we get the next build. A first build is a first build - remember MvC3's first build?

Look how MvC3 turned out. *troll face*

Look how MvC3 turned out. *troll face*
Hah. My point is that in the first build of MvC3, we had universal air dashes, comboable counter TACs, and most of the cast had huge gameplay differences. A lot of that changed due to public feedback.

Heck, we got a UI that sucks so bad that the CREATOR of it acknowledge it's bad at a panel, and said it has already been changed. Clearly what we got to look at is far from polished.

Karsticles said:
Hah. My point is that in the first build of MvC3, we had universal air dashes, comboable counter TACs, and most of the cast had huge gameplay differences. A lot of that changed due to public feedback.

Heck, we got a UI that sucks so bad that the CREATOR of it acknowledge it's bad at a panel, and said it has already been changed. Clearly what we got to look at is far from polished.

To be honest, aside from x-factor, horrible menu and an even worse netcode, MvC3 was pretty good. It's just the parts that they messed up in, they REALLY messed up.

Tobe

so i have been playing on psn and its not that bad as i thought it would been. i can say a couple of things about psn, has a lot more hate than xbl, ive had i think like 3 ragequitters on xbl, well psn is 10+ and counting. also the lovely ragemail. had really high expectations on psn marvel, all i can say its FREE.

To be honest, aside from x-factor, horrible menu and an even worse netcode, MvC3 was pretty good. It's just the parts that they messed up in, they REALLY messed up.
No argument there, except I would add TACs.

Why have I taken so long to learn Dante? I like him a lot.
IDK, but he's without a doubt one of the best assists to put with Dormammu.

so i have been playing on psn and its not that bad as i thought it would been. i can say on thing psn has a lot more hate than xbl, ive had i think like 3 ragequitters on xbl, well psn is 10+ and counting. also the lovely ragemail. had really high expectations on psn marvel, all i can say its FREE.
It's just your anecdotal experience. I've heard the exact opposite said plenty of times.

So the Phoenix HP nerf... does that mean that PHOENIX has her health nerfed or DARK PHOENIX nerfed? Because Phoenix was fine. Dark Phoenix was stupid WITH X-Factor.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Prototype-03 said:
So the Phoenix HP nerf... does that mean that PHOENIX has her health nerfed or DARK PHOENIX nerfed? Because Phoenix was fine. Dark Phoenix was stupid WITH X-Factor.
The funny thing is.... if all they did to nerf her was only one move in the air. Dark phoenix is still going to rape hard. I guess that's where all the new meter draining stuff comes in now.

N4Us

I went to school with Chrisis and he wrecked me in fighting games then.

I was set against Chrisis at NCR and he wrecked me there too.

Oh, Chrisis.

Jam Session right?

I've noticed it is easy to midscreen combo with flame carpet.
Yeah, Jam Session, check the Dormammu thread on SRK for a list of fun stuff you can do with Jam Session. I might even be so bold as to call it the best assist in the game to pair with him.

smurfx

get some go again
Dahbomb said:
Haggar is gonna be ass just like Iron man, Tron, Hsien Ko and Arthur in UMVC3.

Get salty.
yeah capcom ain't giving haggar shit. i'm already waiting for the other characters to see who i am going to replace him with. it pisses me off when they give she hulk a projectile who is already a really good character but don't give haggar shit when he really needs it. capcom is good at creating nice characters but sometimes can't balance fighting games for shit. sometimes their idea of balancing is just breaking characters and buffing the hell out of a few and calling it day.

Kimosabae

Banned
So, do characters in this game have unique fall speeds or traits when in hitstun (outside hitboxes)? Certain combos I've found are harder on Iron Man because he drops faster when in hitstun.

shaowebb

I have a backlog I clear out between MVC3 time...which given that I spend most of my time in Zbrush now for college means I don't get to play but like a few hours of anything a week. I'm talking under 3.

On the plus side I just got awarded a Gold Level Scholarship at my animation college for all this Marvel neglect!

Fuck yeah...someday, Im gonna build one of these damned games. Count on it
(is already studying code, hitboxes, stun times and frame data ).

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
shaowebb said:
I have a backlog I clear out between MVC3 time...which given that I spend most of my time in Zbrush now for college means I don't get to play but like a few hours of anything a week. I'm talking under 3.

On the plus side I just got awarded a Gold Level Scholarship at my animation college for all this Marvel neglect!

Fuck yeah...someday, Im gonna build one of these damned games. Count on it
(is already studying code, hitboxes, stun times and frame data ).
Hit Prototype and me up when it comes to some balance issues. We actually spend hours talking about that type of shit. Minor frame tweaks, move properties, hit box size and positioning and so on.

I've had others ask me about balance stuff before too.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
God's Beard said:
Q, you know that I'm the #1 ranked Theory Fighter in this here county. There ain't room enough for the both of us.
Is this why everyone makes fun of you about it :D

Childish remarks aside, I'm honestly really good at "shadow boxing" with game engines and tweaks.

Plus I'm unbiased as hell when it comes to things :)
YOU LOVE THOR TO MUCH LOSER

smurfx

get some go again
i won my salty runback match with sixfortyfive! last time he beat me 10-5 but i flipped it around this time and won 10-6! his freaking morrigan gives me so many problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom