• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azure J

shaowebb said:
Thanks Q. Thats really cool of you. It'll be a long while before I'll have anything since the animation portion of my training is still eating away at about everything I got, but coding is something I'm definitely still sneaking in between things, and in a year I'll be free to not only spend most of my free time on that, but I will likely be able to get advise from inside of whatever studio I work at as well on setting up my code properly.

Once I got my engine hashed out and working I'll definitely be looking here for a few of you to help with stuff. High level players across multiple games and anyone who tends to get good with bizarre characters is pretty needed for something like this.

I likely won't be in WV anymore by whatever year this kicks in, (could be a LONG while off), but I'll try to hook in my man Sixfortyfive and his local crew, as well given all the help they've tried to give me locally. Of course by whatever year this happens God only knows where we'll all be. This very well could take me a decade if I'm anything like the Skullgirls project and they already had experience.

Its nice to know the community supports my future ambitions though.

*Bro Knucks abound*

Seriously man, I was already playing around with some ideas, not the greatest especially with my late advent into fighting games, but I'm always down to give a suggestion, throw around ideas or just talk as a "blue sky" guy delving deeper into the games and interested in putting together something unique.

Strange SolarPowered factoid #1:

The only Marvel character I've ever played seriously in the entire history of MvC is Spider Man. It is possible that I've never even picked a specific Marvel character(outside of Spidey) more than 150 times in the entire span of the three game's histories.

The weird part is that absolutely love the parts of the Marvel universe that I've watched and read about since I was a young boy. I may not be a real Marvel fan who knows all the old characters and loves Rocket Raccoon, but I find my lack of experience with Marvel characters in the games sad and slightly odd.

Anyone else got something to share? :3

Edit: Gambit might break that record as well. In fact, I'm pretty sure I used him often in MvC1. Not so much in two...

I guess that depends on how many Hsien-Ko/Arthur/Haggar matches we have against Mags, Dante or Wolvie.

I think the lack of footage for those particular matchups should say a lot about how unfavorable they are.
EDIIIIIIIT: I obviously came off wrong earlier. I meant that the matchup between Hazama and Tager is just a bit better(of course in Hazama's favor) than it is for Hsien-Ko and Magnus.

I was comparing the matchups between the two games, not Tager and Hazama. Don't mistake me for some sort of scrub when it comes to BlazBlue. I'm not a technical wizard, but I know when a matchup is bad and it is BAAAAAAD for Tager. I just think it is a bit worse for Hsien-Ko vs Magnus.
Oooooooh. That makes so much more sense!

I would still prefer Hsien-ko vs. Magneto over the Tager vs. Hazama matchup just because at least Hsien-ko gets to try and do things, while Tager just sits in one place and blocks the whole match. I respect your opinion though, and I think we can both agree it's silly to argue.

I also think that Magneto would dominate the entire BB roster with ease. BlazBlue is a lot of fun, but I just don't have time for it, and none of the characters have really won me over yet. I think Relius might be that character, though.

Having an unstoppable assist is nice. I really ought to put her in 2nd for easy DHC. I usually have her on point because I like having Ammy with lots of meter while gold pendulum is locked and loaded. Hsien-Ko would be great if she were just faster with the same damage and a little less hitstun. I still can't wait to try her if they do add the jump cancel stuff.
I think that would be a good idea, and then make your third character anyone who can create one easy combo for Amaterasu so you are guaranteed to get the DHC. It would really suck to have Ammy die before you make Hsien-ko gold.

Bottom tier is dead unless the opponent fucks up bad and I capitalize with XF. f.M also does not help her right now since I can't even use it lol.
f.M is such a weird move. It's like...really Capcom, you thought a poke that leads to nothing was a worthwhile addition in this game?

I never got into Guilty Gear as much as I should have because I was caught up in a lot of stuff and I didn't play fighters regularly, but Anji was just one of the most aesthetically pleasing characters I'd seen in a fighting game.
When I played GG, my skill level was pretty much: find the character that it's easy to spam your way to victory with. Hence I used Dizzy, and sometimes Testament. I'm in the same boat as you about GG. When the next game comes out, I'll probably main Eddie.

Makoto and Ibuki are kind of a sad story for me. I bought SFIV and my 360 red ringed on me that very day. I was so hyped to play it that I loaded my profile onto my cousin's 360 and unlocked all the characters while my Xbox was being repaired. I unlocked everything and I was hyped as fuck to play the game until the save file became corrupted when I tried to load my SFIV on my own 360. I decided that unlocking all those characters again would be a waste of my time.
Haha, Ultimoo will love this part.

MvC3 was honestly random picks lol. I saw Hsien-Ko as one of the last reveals and I told myself that I would use her. I kind of regret making that decision in hindsight. Still, I got tons of playtime out of the game so I can't complain that much. Outbursts like the one above are inevitable with this game in particular...
Whaaat? I always imagined you as this huge Hsien-ko buffs that has been using her since DS1.

Anyone else got something to share? :3
While I know a ton about mechanics and gameplay, I pretty much pick my characters 90% based on aesthetics and themes. If a character has ties to demonic power, I pretty much love that character already and want to make it work. Dante and Trish don't count because they are rejects. I pretty much only play villains or morally ambiguous characters. I find the general concept of morality to be vapid; I can't ever find anything worthwhile in a character like Thor or Captain America. I dig Ryu because I don't find anything moralistic about him.

I get excited about 100% controlling a match from start to finish. I want to always be a threat to my opponent and for him to be scared of what my next move will be. Everything is a guess to him, and I am in control. Thus, Dormammu...conceptually. In practice, Dormammu is unfortunately defensive due to game balance decisions.

Prototype-03 said:
Where's #2? D:
I always picked Turbo in MvC games. My friends wouldn't play with me online until I promised I wouldn't pick it. I'd play against XF Turbo Mags on the regular if I had the chance too.

Yes, I'm obviously out of my fucking mind lol.

Karsticles said:
Oooooooh. That makes so much more sense!

I would still prefer Hsien-ko vs. Magneto over the Tager vs. Hazama matchup just because at least Hsien-ko gets to try and do things, while Tager just sits in one place and blocks the whole match. I respect your opinion though, and I think we can both agree it's silly to argue.

I also think that Magneto would dominate the entire BB roster with ease. BlazBlue is a lot of fun, but I just don't have time for it, and none of the characters have really won me over yet. I think Relius might be that character, though.
I figured MU or Lambda would be right up your alley.

Also...Bang>>>>All of MvC3's cast
Karsticles said:
I think that would be a good idea, and then make your third character anyone who can create one easy combo for Amaterasu so you are guaranteed to get the DHC. It would really suck to have Ammy die before you make Hsien-ko gold.
Morrigan really doesn't suit Ammy for a nice follow up at all, but she is freaking deadly with cold star and Astral which is easy to get from slow to DHC Astral.

Combine that with XF and the match is practically yours.
Karsticles said:
f.M is such a weird move. It's like...really Capcom, you thought a poke that leads to nothing was a worthwhile addition in this game?
I think you can cancel it into gong and you can convert straight to Tenrai-Ha if they are approaching in the air. It is not a very good feint though. The problem with her is that she has no fast start up and no invincibility frames on Tenrai-Ha. f.M just leads to you trading normal hits and hyper damage for your opponent.

Some invul frames or faster startup would make it a better follow up after f.M. and I don't see how it would be asking too much when other characters have invul frames on level 3, regular hypers and even normal moves like Dante.
Karsticles said:
When I played GG, my skill level was pretty much: find the character that it's easy to spam your way to victory with. Hence I used Dizzy, and sometimes Testament. I'm in the same boat as you about GG. When the next game comes out, I'll probably main Eddie.
I think I may be anticipating this as much as I did MvC3 lol.

maybe
Karsticles said:
That shit ruined my chances at ever learning SF. I'll be doomed to straggler status as long as I continue to spread myself thin with lots of fighting games.

:(
Karsticles said:
Whaaat? I always imagined you as this huge Hsien-ko buffs that has been using her since DS1.
I'm only 23 years old lol. I never even knew where Morrigan came from even though I found her cool. It wasn't until a couple of years ago that I became aware of what Darkstalkers was, but I never pursued it further since there are no games out on systems that I play.

When I pick a character I go hard though...
Karsticles said:
While I know a ton about mechanics and gameplay, I pretty much pick my characters 90% based on aesthetics and themes. If a character has ties to demonic power, I pretty much love that character already and want to make it work. Dante and Trish don't count because they are rejects. I pretty much only play villains or morally ambiguous characters. I find the general concept of morality to be vapid; I can't ever find anything worthwhile in a character like Thor or Captain America. I dig Ryu because I don't find anything moralistic about him.
Yeah, aesthetics are EXTREMELY important to me. I find most of the top tier boring to look at and the army of clones online just pushes me further away.

My tastes are pretty out there as you can see already.
Karsticles said:
I get excited about 100% controlling a match from start to finish. I want to always be a threat to my opponent and for him to be scared of what my next move will be. Everything is a guess to him, and I am in control. Thus, Dormammu...conceptually. In practice, Dormammu is unfortunately defensive due to game balance decisions.
That is not me at all.

I am all about pressure and rushdown. My main weakness is that I let aesthetics get in the way. In more bland world I'd be picking top tier rushdown for relentless pressure. I loved getting comments from high level Bang players about how weirdly I play Bang and it pleases me when I make people cave under a constant barrage of close range moves.

Part of Hsien-Ko's appeal is how good her corner pressure can get if you know what your are doing. If she were faster getting out of the corner against her would be a real challenge in my opinion. Tons of meter thanks to Dark Harmonizer combined with H anki hou, pendulum, her multi hitting normals and cold star can make her pretty scary.

I should really pick better characters...

Neki

Why? It only proves that PSN is superior to Xbox Live.

hurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :p

It's a sign SolarPowered, I'm sorry for your loss. Sony would never treat you like that.

shaowebb

Karsticles said:
What kind of stuff would you want in your fighting game in terms of mechanics? Would you want to create an original IP, or get permission from companies to do stuff with their characters?

Oh wow, you must have posted that right as I went to work.

The biggest thing I can say is that its WAY too early to even try to brainstorm. I'm still polishing off my skills as an animator and novice coder is putting it lightly right now. I won't even get to start really pushing my training at code until after October next year. For now theres only time to dabble at the basics in hopes of having some fundamentals in place for later once I'm settled into my animation career.

If we're talking what I dream of doing I have a few ideas for original IP, but mainly I would prefer a license if at all possible. I would fight a rabid honeybadger naked and covered in maple syrup for the rights to someday produce and design a DC licensed fighter.

In terms of mechanics I think some kind of comeback factor is necessary to make it approachable to all levels of players, but that I'll need to be careful with such a tool so that it doesn't break the game for high level players. Combobreak systems get a lot of love from casuals but tend to ruin the flow of a match considering such tools tend to overly reward bad gameplay. I lean toward buff mechanics for folks as comebacks over punishing players (though X-factor is not a very balanced form of this IMO).

I like the counter system in SF3, but it makes it impossible to really go for keep away so cast with rushdown and mobility tend to become overpowered in this sort of system. I'd likely have the SF3 system setup just for one character as part of his "boost" hyper or just plain give it to a character with Haggar like Mobility so that they force cast to come at them. I also like supers that reflect projectiles like Anki Hou but I really prefer the ones in KoF better to be honest.

Its far too early to say what I'll decide upon doing for a game that may be 10 years from now before I even have an engine in place to attempt it. Though I would likely have a graffiti covered stage with the names of gamers on them I've met or like as a tribute to them.

Here's to the future. For now, I can't wait to get my hands on some Iron Fist. PM me about theories and fighter preferences if you guys wanna throw feedback or your own personal ideas about fighting mechanic pro/cons at me. I love playing super theory fighter and I'd enjoy talking about balancing theories and playstyles for characters you all have dreamed up over the years yourselves.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm aesthetics. I will say those play a big part in who I choose as well. I tend to love sleek human mech hybrid designs. In Guilty Gear I really loved Justice although it was a damn shame she was an overpowered boss character and thus not really playable in a competitive setting although with the lack of any local scenes and no online play back then I never did play GG competitively. If I had TvC I would main the hell out of Tekkaman Blade for the same reason. Another Guilty Gear character I really liked was Ky Kiske because the character somewhat resembles me appearance-wise and had an absolutely amazing theme song.

The mechy preference explains part of the reason why I'm excited for Nova and also why I also wanted Darkhawk as another leftfield pick on the Marvel side.

640x480

Yet despite this I can't bring myself to give a single crap about any Mega Man. Midget robots just don't do it for me.

Nils said:
Hmm aesthetics. I will say those play a big part in who I choose as well. I tend to love sleek human mech hybrid designs. In Guilty Gear I really loved Justice although it was a damn shame she was an overpowered boss character and thus not really playable in a competitive setting although with the lack of any local scenes and no online play back then I never did play GG competitively. If I had TvC I would main the hell out of Tekkaman Blade for the same reason. Another Guilty Gear character I really liked was Ky Kiske because the character somewhat resembles me appearance-wise and had an absolutely amazing theme song.

The mechy preference explains part of the reason why I'm excited for Nova and also why I also wanted Darkhawk as another leftfield pick on the Marvel side.

http://xs.to/media/88302/640x480[/mg]

Yet despite this I can't bring myself to give a single crap about any Mega Man. Midget robots just don't do it for me.[/QUOTE]

Quasar > Darkhawk

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/gG6E8.jpg

smurfx

get some go again
SolarPowered said:
I just tried ranked after nearly two months of pure player/training mode...

Fuck that shit. The game has obviously devolved to three or so teams since EVO and it is clear that it is never going to change. All I see now is Dante/?/Mags with Akuma/Wolvie/Sent.

There is no point in playing the game perfectly when a single mistake against Maggy and Dante means instadeath. The old bastard can punish a whiffed move from midscreen. Motherfucker needs to be put in a retirement home already. Oh, and Dante can fuck off with his retarded ass hitboxes that allow him to combo characters by swinging his sword between his legs like a basketball. His Hammer can also eat a dick.

Yeah, this game obviously caters to nothing but Stream monsters at this point...

On the plus side, I must've played a couple dozen games and they were all lag free :'). Such pristine movment!

It wouldn't stop me. It'd just remind me about that GAF person whose name vaguely reminds me of testicles.
i'm pretty used to those match ups at this point. i hate akuma and wolvie more than mags and dante. don't get me wrong i still hate dante a lot. with taskmaster its usually one combo and those guys are down to 25 percent life and i usually kill them with my first combo since i've already chipped them down a good amount.

Dormammu players:
I made a thread where you can post what you would like changed about Dormammu in UMvC3 on SRK; feel free to share your thoughts.
http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-umvc3-dormammu-wishlist-thread.143473/

I figured MU or Lambda would be right up your alley.
Well, in Blazblue you pretty much have to rush. Specials deal very little chip, or none at all if your opponent is skilled. I don't really enjoy poking my opponent for 0.1 damage all day long, so I don't find their playstyles as appealing. I like the idea of Relius because I am a fan of pet characters, and he can also control space very well.

I also prefer villains.

Some invul frames or faster startup would make it a better follow up after f.M. and I don't see how it would be asking too much when other characters have invul frames on level 3, regular hypers and even normal moves like Dante.
I'm not a fan of handing out invulnerability frames on level 1s. I think it's neat that she already has the only level 1 that overheads in the game. I would rather just give her a legitimate level 3. Heck, EVERY character should have a level 3. The only top tier character without one is Phoenix (hurr). They're very important in this game.

I'm only 23 years old lol. I never even knew where Morrigan came from even though I found her cool. It wasn't until a couple of years ago that I became aware of what Darkstalkers was, but I never pursued it further since there are no games out on systems that I play.

When I pick a character I go hard though...
Gotcha, and I can sympathize with that perspective, obviously!

Trust me, I've thought about dropping Dormammu before, or just slapping Haggar in for Double Lariat. I can play 500 games with one team, then toss an invincible assist in and do better. -_-

My tastes are pretty out there as you can see already.
I think it's odd that more people don't like Hsien-ko. She's so cute. I wanted to do Hsien-ko/Dormammu/Shuma-Gorath for a while, but the problem became that both Hsien-ko and Shuma-Gorath are ass tier anchors, and I really don't like anchoring my favorite character.

I am all about pressure and rushdown. My main weakness is that I let aesthetics get in the way. In more bland world I'd be picking top tier rushdown for relentless pressure. I loved getting comments from high level Bang players about how weirdly I play Bang and it pleases me when I make people cave under a constant barrage of close range moves.
I find characters that have to deal with pressure more interesting. I like finding holes in my opponent's defense and capitalizing on them. A huge number of people die to Advancing Guard -> Chaotic Flame against me.

The biggest thing I can say is that its WAY too early to even try to brainstorm. I'm still polishing off my skills as an animator and novice coder is putting it lightly right now. I won't even get to start really pushing my training at code until after October next year. For now theres only time to dabble at the basics in hopes of having some fundamentals in place for later once I'm settled into my animation career.
Fair enough!

PM me about theories and fighter preferences if you guys wanna throw feedback or your own personal ideas about fighting mechanic pro/cons at me. I love playing super theory fighter and I'd enjoy talking about balancing theories and playstyles for characters you all have dreamed up over the years yourselves.
I have to keep my ideas secret for now - they're too good to share. :-O

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Karsticles said:
Well, in Blazblue you pretty much have to rush. Specials deal very little chip, or none at all if your opponent is skilled. I don't really enjoy poking my opponent for 0.1 damage all day long, so I don't find their playstyles as appealing. I like the idea of Relius because I am a fan of pet characters, and he can also control space very well.
Mu and Lambda both have over half life combos and no their dmg is far from low. Zoners in BB work just fine. Which is nice about the engine is that it supports all the play types really easily as long as the characters themselves are made right. Same could be said for GG.

Oh and if it comes down to it, xfactor 3 shuma is pretty fucking retarded. Just not Phoenix or felecia levels of stupid

Neki

QisTopTier said:
Mu and Lambda both have over half life combos and no their dmg is far from low. Zoners in BB work just fine. Which is nice about the engine is that it supports all the play types really easily as long as the characters themselves are made right. Same could be said for GG.

Oh and if it comes down to it, xfactor 3 shuma is pretty fucking retarded. Just not Phoenix or felecia levels of stupid

shuma can't get in though.

x-factor guard cancel level 3 on shuma is annoying as hell though.

I didn't say their damage is low, I said that chip damage is low in the game. I also never said that they aren't good characters, or that zoning isn't worth doing in the game. I simply said that I don't like how BlazBlue handles zoning, so I don't use them.

I swear you always intentionally misread me. -_-

Chicken blocking > Shuma-Gorath. Any character that can't combo off of an air throw is not a great anchor. Plus he has some really bad matchups that XF3 doesn't help him overcome; he gets zoned too easily to be a reliable anchor. I've had plenty of comebacks with him, and I recognize that he gets an awesome speed and damage boost, but I'm not a fan of anchoring with a character with so many bad solo matchups.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Karsticles said:
I didn't say their damage is low, I said that chip damage is low in the game. I also never said that they aren't good characters, or that zoning isn't worth doing in the game. I simply said that I don't like how BlazBlue handles zoning, so I don't use them.

Chicken blocking > Shuma-Gorath. Any character that can't combo off of an air throw is not a great anchor. Plus he has some really bad matchups that XF3 doesn't help him overcome; he gets zoned too easily to be a reliable anchor. I've had plenty of comebacks with him, and I recognize that he gets an awesome speed and damage boost, but I'm not a fan of anchoring with a character with so many bad solo matchups.
Uhh shuma can combo off an air throw o.o

*he's not my anchor anyways*

LOL I intentionally misread you to get the full story!!!! >.>

smurfx

get some go again
Karsticles said:
so you would never use haggar as an anchor? lol. sometimes its kinda depressing knowing my haggar is doomed when fighting a really good zoning character.

Man, Hsien-Ko is a really awkward character depending on the opponent's team. Some people might say using Dark Harmonizer to build the necessary meter for Rimoukon+DHC is smart while others say it is best for her to be DHC'd in.

Fighting Taskmaster is especially difficult. His arrows are so fast that I can barely pull off the Rimoukon transformation with a tiny window for a DHC. It can fail really hard because they are so fast, but what can happen is that the incoming DHC gets shot and wasted. There is always a high chance of wasting a bar with that character.

If you want to DHC into Rimoukon it has to be in an extremely advantageous position because another DHC gets pretty expensive. A raw tag against Taskmaster is also extremely dangerous(or any character that is somewhat competent for that matter).

The hidden cost of Rimoukon is that it is actually more expensive than a single bar. Some situations call for two or even three bars to prepare her safely. No wonder she is in shit tier.
smurfx said:
so you would never use haggar as an anchor? lol. sometimes its kinda depressing knowing my haggar is doomed when fighting a really good zoning character.
Haggar is NEVER supposed to be out there alone. He has got nothing besides pipe to help him and most air supers can stop him in this tracks.
Karsticles said:

Chip damage in MvC3 is off the charts. I fought ranked match with an Akuma that got completely outplayed. The guy activated XF and drained like 200K life with beam hyper even though I blocked. All it took was that and a couple of fireballs to take the lead with ease.

smurfx

get some go again
SolarPowered said:
Haggar is NEVER supposed to be out there alone. He has got nothing besides pipe to help him and most air supers can stop him in this tracks.
yeah but when he does get in and wins the match for me its the greatest feeling. i can't help but use his taunt button at the end.

Uhh shuma can combo off an air throw o.o

*he's not my anchor anyways*
I mean combo combo, not just into a hyper. :p I might make exception for Taskmaster since his OTG arrows do such huge damage.

I would never use Haggar at all because I hate the character, but IMO if you put Haggar 3rd, he's not your anchor, you're making a bet with your opponent that you can win with two characters, and you better be spending X-Factor on your second character. If you get down to just Haggar, have some laughs and don't take it too seriously.

If you want to DHC into Rimoukon it has to be in an extremely advantageous position because another DHC gets pretty expensive. A raw tag against Taskmaster is also extremely dangerous(or any character that is somewhat competent for that matter).
Storm would be a good fit. Ice Storm still runs while you raw tag Storm back in, and she can call Hsien-ko in after a superjump + float. You could also DHC glitch Hsien-ko in through her - sounds like a good fit to me.

Chip damage in MvC3 is off the charts. I fought ranked match with an Akuma that got completely outplayed. The guy activated XF and drained like 200K life with beam hyper even though I blocked. All it took was that and a couple of fireballs to take the lead with ease.
I have long been a proponent that X-Factor should only boost hit damage, not chip damage. I understand the need for a comeback mechanic, but stuff like Dormammu's Stalking Flare spam, Ice Storm, and Messatsu Gohado are ridiculous. It's just a little too free.

Karsticles said:
I'm not a fan of handing out invulnerability frames on level 1s. I think it's neat that she already has the only level 1 that overheads in the game. I would rather just give her a legitimate level 3. Heck, EVERY character should have a level 3. The only top tier character without one is Phoenix (hurr). They're very important in this game.
I'd love it if she got a level three, but I am being realistic here. I don't expect one and the next best thing is some decrease on startup or some invul frames for her level 1 stuff. She really can't do much else outside of XF s.M,c.H,j.M,j.H when she does her Tenrai Ha. Upping the hyper damage a bit and providing some security for her hyper would be great.

It is not like it would make her overpowered either. Again, I'd gladly take a level 3 instead.
Karsticles said:
Trust me, I've thought about dropping Dormammu before, or just slapping Haggar in for Double Lariat. I can play 500 games with one team, then toss an invincible assist in and do better. -_-
I've tried Tron a few times too, but I don't like how she plays...
Karsticles said:
I think it's odd that more people don't like Hsien-ko. She's so cute. I wanted to do Hsien-ko/Dormammu/Shuma-Gorath for a while, but the problem became that both Hsien-ko and Shuma-Gorath are ass tier anchors, and I really don't like anchoring my favorite character.
This game does not cater to people who like cute stuff at all. Everyone wants to be a badass and it is definitely reflected in the roster. They'll be completely ignored if they don't have some redeeming features.
Karsticles said:
I find characters that have to deal with pressure more interesting. I like finding holes in my opponent's defense and capitalizing on them. A huge number of people die to Advancing Guard -> Chaotic Flame against me.
I like Rushdown pressure, but more in the style of Bang. MvC3 rushdown pressure is kind of crazy in how scary it can be.
smurfx said:
yeah but when he does get in and wins the match for me its the greatest feeling. i can't help but use his taunt button at the end.
Odds or so stacked that I just get angry thinking about it. I play a fighter for fun, not to get manhandled lol.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Karsticles said:
I mean combo combo, not just into a hyper. :p I might make exception for Taskmaster since his OTG arrows do such huge damage.
Im trying to tell you, HE CAN COMBO AFTER A THROW LAWL He even has resets and mix ups from it

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
smurfx said:
hey max you ever play mvc3 with people from neogaf? i would love to play you sometime.

Hmm, don't think I have. If I ever get the chance I'll host a lobby and let you guys know. But from today till the release of UMVC3 is looking a little batshit crazy on the production schedule D:

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
So I've got various video components coming in the mail over the next few days. Got my component-to-VGA box in today and decided to give it a whirl by hooking up the 360 to my current CRT monitor. Looks very nice.

Anyway, I'm taking a crack at ranked in the meantime and can't help but express how stupid it is that so many moves in this game seem to have 270-degree hitboxes. Meh.

Neki

Sixfortyfive said:
So I've got various video components coming in the mail over the next few days. Got my component-to-VGA box in today and decided to give it a whirl by hooking up the 360 to my current CRT monitor. Looks very nice.

Anyway, I'm taking a crack at ranked in the meantime and can't help but express how stupid it is that so many moves in this game seem to have 270-degree hitboxes. Meh.

Zero, Ammy and Dante all prove of these awesome hitboxes.

Sixfortyfive said:

What kind of hardware did you get exactly? Will it record in HD? (I've seen some component recorders only do 480p, which is why I'm asking)

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Ultimoo said:
Zero, Ammy and Dante all prove of these awesome hitboxes.
X-23's air normals hit about 360 degree's around her even if the damn animation shows no sign of it. You should see when prototype catches my assist BEHIND HER, launches them BEHIND HER and does a full combo and brings them back down to the ground BEHIND HER

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
_dementia said:
What kind of hardware did you get exactly? Will it record in HD? (I've seen some component recorders only do 480p, which is why I'm asking)
Didn't pick up any recording equipment. Just an EVO monitor, DC VGA box, component-to-VGA, and HDMI cable. Might by some kind of signal splitter or two in the near future.

This box goes from 640x480 to 1920x1200. I have a capture card but it's an ancient, laggy POS that only has composite/S-video inputs. Might upgrade that later as well!

smurfx

get some go again
hehe i beat honzo gonzo on ranked and even taunted him after the match. :p he was trying that phoenix on point thing that one guy at evo was doing. even did her hyper at the beginning of the match. well i quickly killed her off after that. i fought this one guy 3 times and he destroyed me all 3 times. he was using wolverine/shuma/dormammu. i didn't even get to see how good his dormammu was. i got killed off by his wolverine the first 2 games and then managed to kill his wolverine but only to get killed by shuma. i had no way of getting in on wolverine. he would berserker slash and if he failed to do anything he would then call mystic ray assist and that would stop me from punishing him. even if i caught wolverine with haggar mystic ray would then stop me from following up. never seen that before and of course i got blown up.

smurfx

get some go again
Sixfortyfive said:
One of my friends mains Wolverine/Shuma/Akuma. It's infuriating.
wait i think this was the team i played and it wasn't dormammu. i don't even remember the 3rd character since i hardly got to see it. is your friend a high lord or mighty lord? because this might of been the same guy.

shaowebb

Just did a little bit of chatting with AzureJericho idly chatting up some of our super theory fighter dreams and observations about things and I thought I should bring this up here.

I like how Skullgirls states they want to have 1vs1/2vs2/3vs3 type modes. IMO these modes change the entire tier list of the game.

You see in 3vs3 or 2vs2 games you tend to have bigger screen space and more room allowed between the characters for running and moving around. This is aesthetically appealing in team play because as you call assists, make tags and do team hypers it prevents the screen from becoming too cluttered to deal with. Also meters build FAST in these type of games since you have the combined health of your opponents team to try to contend with in the same normal 99 second span of fighters.

In 1vs 1 games your characters have less screen space allotted to them and are prevented from getting too distant from one another. This is so you can't sit back and run for 99 seconds against slower cast. Also dashes and jumps are shorter in these games to prevent rampant runaway from parts of the cast, as well. Due to this you have larger looking characters and a more footsie oriented gameplay. Also in games like this meter is generally awarded to players in less ways or at least in less universal ways and it can only be spent a little here or there. This makes matches last longer in 1vs 1 games like SFIV and makes people more careful about both building, and spending meters.

If Marvel had a 1vs1 mode with decreased jumps/dashes and a different meter (like how you had different meters in CvsSNK) for that mode the game would have a completely new dimension to it.

For instance Haggar and Hsien Ko have trouble in 3vs3 but in 1vs1 they would be pretty Godly. The problem of course is that beams and such exist in Marvel as well as a lot of crazy BS mechanics and speedy rushdown between cast members so a lot of rebalancing and new properties on startup and vulnerability would have to be addressed so this will never come to be.

Still, just imagine if they ever spent the time to develop in a mode for 1vs1 that forced the style of screen control and meter play that is used for SFIV. Top tier MODOK and Haggar? Madness, but pretty interesting all the same to imagine.

smurfx said:
wait i think this was the team i played and it wasn't dormammu. i don't even remember the 3rd character since i hardly got to see it. is your friend a high lord or mighty lord? because this might of been the same guy.

If he snapped out your man, popped chaos dimension, and then ate you with that unblockable hyper upon your re-entry it sounds like him to me. I can't be mad at the guy though because as infuriating as his antics are with that team he at least took his Shuma all the way. Anyone who can put in the time to BNB Shuma using mystic stare as a reset for part of it without dropping the damned thing is pretty cool in my book.

Nils said:
Wouldn't mind her either but I will say I vastly prefer her last costume.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/ad/PhylaMartyr.png[/ig][/QUOTE]
But she doesn't have a dragon at that point.

What I don't get is, if she's the Avatar of Death or whatever, isn't that basically the same level of power as the Silver Surfer? How could Thanos just kill her as an afterthought?

Due to Thanos getting an upgrade. Don't worry she will return right before EMH.

So we get to see her pretty female loving, sword wielding, cosmic awareness, total badass self.

crimsonspider89 said:
Due to Thanos getting an upgrade. Don't worry she will return right before EMH.

So we get to see her pretty female loving, sword wielding, cosmic awareness, total badass self.
EMH? I don't really know what's going on because the Marvel online reader was missing 5 or so random chapters across the arc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom