• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just know it is going to take like a handful of posts in order to get every Q&A on GAF. Seth seems to be really good at fleshing out his thoughts when he has got something to type with and that just makes me really anxious to see what he has to say.

CAN'T WAIT!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
God's Beard said:
Oh, and Seth is working on my interview questions, so look forward to that everybody ^_^

Every question starts with, "So theoretically...." or "What if you...." and the final question will be, "Will there be a mode that let's me rank up online based on only playing in training mode?"

jk xD Looking forward to them. :D

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
LeMaximilian said:
1291195878904.gif

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Just had a match where Taskmaster's counter hyper was triggered but the opponent wasn't actually caught in it. Looked pretty damn weird.

I'm guessing that it "caught" Zero's double-image or something.

shaowebb

Sixfortyfive said:
Just had a match where Taskmaster's counter hyper was triggered but the opponent wasn't actually caught in it. Looked pretty damn weird.

I'm guessing that it "caught" Zero's double-image or something.

What? Wait...WHAT?

I must see this tried with Deadpool and Wesker next.

Kimosabae

Banned
Gonna mess with Dorm today. Where should I start?

Touch said:
I have been trying this since the game released. The best I have come up with is Dante/Iron Man/Doom. Iron Man is really hard to center a team around. :( I'm just glad Iron man/Doom work together well like they did in MvC2 or I would be at a total loss. Hopefully, one of the newcomers in UMvC3 will benefit them.

What are you doing with Doom? Why do you think they work well together?

Problem with Iron Man in Vanilla is that he's so versatile Assists (in this iteration) don't really seem to add much to his game. His High/Low mixup is great on its own. He has no teleport, or viable crossup, though, so he has no Left/Right mixup. Outside Berserker Slash, no other Assist helps him there.

Kimosabae said:
I don't know what the fuck it is about Viper's Siesmo chains in this game but I can't do it. I don't get it.
It's not the simplest thing in the world. It's just one of that things that doesn't work until it clicks, there isn't really a half way.

Kimosabae

Banned
God's Beard said:
It's not the simplest thing in the world. It's just one of that things that doesn't work until it clicks, there isn't really a half way.

The problem I have is that I haven't seen any explanations that give me a means to discern why I might be performing it wrong. I can get two, and then the third is often a thunder knuckle. Looking at the inputs, I don't see what the distinction is in inputs (regardless of the 2369 or 6239 methods) so I assume it's a timing issue. Varying the timing doesn't help. I hate practicing things with no real blueprint, so I've never put the time into it.

Kimosabae said:
The problem I have is that I haven't seen any explanations that give me a means to discern why I might be performing it wrong. I can get two, and then the third is often a thunder knuckle. Looking at the inputs, I don't see what the distinction is in inputs (regardless of the 2369 or 6239 methods) so I assume it's a timing issue. Varying the timing doesn't help. I hate practicing things with no real blueprint, so I've never put the time into it.
Ah, you're returning to neutral or not going all the way to down each time. When you do the shortcut, you slide around the outside of the stick without leaving the edges.

Kimosabae

Banned
God's Beard said:
Ah, you're returning to neutral or not going all the way to down each time. When you do the shortcut, you slide around the outside of the stick without leaving the edges.

I don't understand.

Kimosabae

Banned
God's Beard said:
Like a reverse L, just do the motion without going back to the center.

Ah, see that's how I used to do it, and I found I could do more, but it felt sloppy and was horribly inconsistent. When I heard Marlinpie talk about going back to neutral being a key focus, I kinda restructured my execution. Now I'm back at square one.

I guess I'll just have to dedicate an entire day/session into getting it down on my own. I want to play the character, but not without being able to do the chains.

Kimosabae said:
Ah, see that's how I used to do it, and I found I could do more, but it felt sloppy and was horribly inconsistent. When I heard Marlinpie talk about going back to neutral being a key focus, I kinda restructured my execution. Now I'm back at square one.

I guess I'll just have to dedicate an entire day/session into getting it down on my own. I want to play the character, but not without being able to do the chains.
Do you see how fast Marlin does his chains? It's true that doing DP, upforward, neutral is going to get exactly what you want, but you have to be a demon like Marlinpie to keep them coming out like that. Consistency of execution is just as important as the consistency of the technique you're using.

Kimosabae

Banned
God's Beard said:
Do you see how fast Marlin does his chains? It's true that doing DP, upforward, neutral is going to get exactly what you want, but you have to be a demon like Marlinpie to keep them coming out like that. Consistency of execution is just as important as the consistency of the technique you're using.

Yeah, I've taken that into consideration and I feel Pie's method is just better for my all-around execution. I'm going to learn both. Once I learn the Shortcut method I'll have a frame of reference for how to do the true method faster.

Thanks, this discussion actually helped.

Touch

Kimosabae said:
What are you doing with Doom? Why do you think they work well together?

Problem with Iron Man in Vanilla is that he's so versatile Assists (in this iteration) don't really seem to add much to his game. His High/Low mixup is great on its own. He has no teleport, or viable crossup, though, so he has no Left/Right mixup. Outside Berserker Slash, no other Assist helps him there.
I'm calling Doom Rocks which allows Iron Man enough time to protect Doom and get in for high/low mixups. Plus with Rocks you have strong lock down game.

They work well together because Doom helps Iron Man get in which is hard for Iron Man to do (for me at least) and Iron Man helps Doom with zoning and keepaway. Also IM can help Doom get in when need be with RB assist.

It's hard for me to explain my strats and stuff. It really varies match to match. Hell, sometimes I plan my whole match around Dante DT spam keepaway :D With IM on your team you really have to keep an open mind on how you will go about the match. Find weaknesses and abuse them. You can't just depend on one style or game plan.

Tobe

goddammit finally the grinding paid off. won my first marvel tournament at my local scene and got a limited edition mvc3 for ps3, now that umvc3 is launching the prize is for sentimental value. :)
u2yeJ.jpg

Xevren

Chavelo said:
Just came back from my 4th Marvel tourney. After going 0 - 2 the last tourney, I'm happy at my score of 3 - 2 this time around.

Had a ton of fun, tho. Also, check this vid that I took from the venue.

RARE FOOTAGE OF THE UPSIDE-DOWN PAD WARRIOR.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpM0HvRGyYA

He actually did alright in the tourney. :p

Never in all my years of fighting games have I ever even heard of someone playing with a pad upside down. Whatever works!

Imm0rt4l

I was playing some ssf4 when a friend asked me if I play marvel. I told him I had less than 5 hours played since February, I don't play the game. He said he was ass and was just playing the game out of boredom and emphasized that he sucked at the game. He asked if I wanted to scrub it out with him and from the first game, it was clear that he plays the game regularly. Sure enough he stopped sandbagging, and made me really salty that he basically tricked me into playing mvc just to use me as a punching bag. I almost want to pick the game up and just so I can give him a good fight(and because I think it can be legimately fun, even if I don't like a lot of things about the game). Not even sure where to start though.

Neki

Imm0rt4l said:
I was playing some ssf4 when a friend asked me if I play marvel. I told him I had less than 5 hours played since February, I don't play the game. He said he was ass and was just playing the game out of boredom and emphasized that he sucked at the game. He asked if I wanted to scrub it out with him and from the first game, it was clear that he plays the game regularly. Sure enough he stopped sandbagging, and made me really salty that he basically tricked me into playing mvc just to use me as a punching bag. I almost want to pick the game up and just so I can give him a good fight(and because I think it can be legimately fun, even if I don't like a lot of things about the game). Not even sure where to start though.
you could always get someone from PSN or Xbox Live to beast on him for you.

Neki

Imm0rt4l said:
Fuck that noise, I'll fight my own fights. I made him my bitch in SSF today, and I'm gonna do it with umvc3.
smurfx doesn't mind playing dirty, I'm sure he'd be all over it! :p

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Chavelo said:
Just came back from my 4th Marvel tourney. After going 0 - 2 the last tourney, I'm happy at my score of 3 - 2 this time around.

Had a ton of fun, tho. Also, check this vid that I took from the venue.

RARE FOOTAGE OF THE UPSIDE-DOWN PAD WARRIOR.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpM0HvRGyYA

He actually did alright in the tourney. :p
He can play better than I do with the pad right-side-up.

fuck.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
Imm0rt4l said:
Fuck that noise, I'll fight my own fights. I made him my bitch in SSF today, and I'm gonna do it with umvc3.
You have three viable options with which to exact revenge:

1. The cheapest team
2. The lamest team
3. The trollingest team

I like option one in Marvel because the series is all about being cheap. If you're sufficiently awesome, do it with all three.

shaowebb

DjangoReinhardt said:
You have three viable options with which to exact revenge:

1. The cheapest team
2. The lamest team
3. The trollingest team

I like option one in Marvel because the series is all about being cheap. If you're sufficiently awesome, do it with all three.

Option 3.

Choose Tron on Point, Phoenix Wright on middle, and Sentinel on anchor. Finish with x factor team hyper combo so that your ENTIRE TEAM comes out and points in order of height at him for the victory.

If not this then Modok/Joe/Rocket Raccoon

BTW did anyone see the "in depth review" on UMVC3 from Gameinformer yet.

"Ghostrider is a lot like Spencer" "Hawkeye UP CLOSE is a lot like Taskmaster"
WTF?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
shaowebb said:
Option 3.

Choose Tron on Point, Phoenix Wright on middle, and Sentinel on anchor. Finish with x factor team hyper combo so that your ENTIRE TEAM comes out and points in order of height at him for the victory.

If not this then Modok/Joe/Rocket Raccoon

BTW did anyone see the "in depth review" on UMVC3 from Gameinformer yet.

"Ghostrider is a lot like Spencer" "Hawkeye UP CLOSE is a lot like Taskmaster"
WTF?
In depth review? What? Link?

That review is so funny. LOL. yeah Hawkeye uses his shield, sword, and swing to extend combos. And has to use a jumping arrow to OTG the opponent. LMAO.

Ghost Rider like Spencer? Gameinformer needs to hire some fighting game vets pronto. Really.

shaowebb

enzo_gt said:
In depth review? What? Link?

Its on page 80 something of the new printed gameinformer and its absolutely uninformative and ass tier. The stuff they tried to cover they got entirely wrong about the characters too. You can tell they never played marvel more than a minute before writing this slop.

LOL at Ghostrider being a Spencer clone. They follow that up by saying his HYPERS differentiate him from Spencer.

Seriously? JUST the hypers? Well God Damn I better be getting ready to get mobile as fuck with dat chain of Ghost Rider then because he must be able to zipline like mad then if his hypers are the ONLY thing he does differently playstyle-wise than Spencer.

Fucking Gameinformer Retards

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The only gaming publication that had anybody even slightly knowledgeable about fighting games was 1up, and now that's been dissolved. Hell, they even had VF fans there. I didn't know VF fans existed until I began watching the 1up Show.

DR2K

Banned
shaowebb said:
Its on page 80 something of the new printed gameinformer and its absolutely uninformative and ass tier. The stuff they tried to cover they got entirely wrong about the characters too. You can tell they never played marvel more than a minute before writing this slop.

LOL at Ghostrider being a Spencer clone. They follow that up by saying his HYPERS differentiate him from Spencer.

Seriously? JUST the hypers? Well God Damn I better be getting ready to get mobile as fuck with dat chain of Ghost Rider then because he must be able to zipline like mad then if his hypers are the ONLY thing he does differently playstyle-wise than Spencer.

Fucking Gameinformer Retards

Wow they're almost as far off as people here are on MVC2 character diversity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom