• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite Characters and Stages Roster Discussion Thread

sephi22

Read it yesterday, don't really know how to feel about that. .
I despise it. I feel like Capcom didn't learn the right lesson from V. Casual players want modes and good tutorials to ease them into the competitive scene. Most casuals don't want to go pro, and the ones who are competitive get frustrated after losing to good players in online matches because the game doesn't teach them what's right and wrong.

Dumbing down the game doesn't attract casuals and hurts the competitive base. The problem of online frustration will happen no matter how simplistic the game is if you don't teach your players how to play it right.

My expectations of the game are rock bottom right now. There's no way to go but up

Is it me, or are people reacting to something (the game being accessible or whatever) that was literally stated after Infinite was revealed?

Capcom has already said the accessibility will not affect the depth of the game. This is exactly what MVC3 was to MVC2. It's hardly new.

sephi22

Is it me, or are people reacting to something (the game being accessible or whatever) that was literally stated after Infinite was revealed?

Capcom has already said the accessibility will not affect the depth of the game. This is exactly what MVC3 was to MVC2. It's hardly new.
I will keep reposting the same sentiment till they show off the game system.

I have very few posts in this thread despite UMvC3 being one of my favorite games of all time. I don't care about the characters or stages. Like Dahbomb, I just want to know how this game works so I can decide whether it's worth caring for.

J-Tier

Sony must've really pushed for the early reveal to get the PSX hype going. I imagine if it weren't for that, we'd still be sitting on rumors of its existence.

I'm concerned because they keep pushing this idea that it will be even more accessible than MvC3 was, when the button layout was as ABC as you can get. I'm worried they will dumb it down even further when (as stated above) the button mashing casuals are in it for story, survival and arcade, things that keep them occupied, more than they are button configuration and how to do bnb's. This is why the trials/tutorials exist. If you really want to learn the game and get better, the tools are there.

I really hope if there are significant changes that the games depth is unaffected. From losing the assists to this easier accessibility I'm concerned about the games mechanics. Change is hard and while normally I welcome change, I think not seeing anything new released in months combined with this is making me a bit paranoid

More accessible could be related to the fact that it's 2v2 with no assists.

Not seeing anything new released is definitely the source of everyone's problem right now. It allows us to look at the most recent game (SFV) and immediately create a negative assessment on something we know nothing about.

Jawmuncher

It's funny looking play at G4TV's X-List of top 5 Capcom and Marvel characters for MVC3 (We're going hella back in the vault for this)

Top 5 Capcom characters they wanted.
5. Regina (Dino Crisis)
4. Ryu (Breath of Fire)
3. X (Mega-Man X)
2. Strider (Strider)
1. Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney)

Find it funny that three of their 5 picks made it into MVC3 or MVCI. Hopefully the last two on the list are signs for the future.

Top 5 Marvel Characters they wanted
5. Venom
4. Elektra
3. Gambit
2. Ghost Rider
1. Squirrel Girl

Their marvel list was a bit all over the place. Especially since the entire video all they talked about was all of the bad marvel movies. At least one of those got in, and venom at this point seems likely for MVCi. Curious about the chances of everyone else though.

What other events take place before E3?

I despise it. I feel like Capcom didn't learn the right lesson from V. Casual players want modes and good tutorials to ease them into the competitive scene. Most casuals don't want to go pro, and the ones who are competitive get frustrated after losing to good players in online matches because the game doesn't teach them what's right and wrong.

Dumbing down the game doesn't attract casuals and hurts the competitive base. The problem of online frustration will happen no matter how simplistic the game is if you don't teach your players how to play it right.

My expectations of the game are rock bottom right now. There's no way to go but up
I'm no pro at fighting games but I like learning my characters and combos, so 3's more simplistic approach isn't great for me even though I play and like the game. I'm too waiting for more info on the mechanics.

Weiss

Banned
Johnny Casual is never not going to get bodied online. Instead of dumbing mechanics down a better idea is to load the game with content that makes them want to play that.

Jawmuncher

Johnny Casual is never not going to get bodied online. Instead of dumbing mechanics down a better idea is to load the game with content that makes them want to play that.

Yep. While SF4 had quite the comeback without it.
Once MK9 hit the scene and then MKXL this gen. Casual fighting game fans, expect a lot more content they can enjoy without getting their ass beat.

Skab

Exactly this. People who aren't inclined to be competitive wont suddenly want to be competitive in your fighting game just because you made it more "accessible." I would actually be willing to bet that in the end you lose people instead of gaining them, as you turn away the already dedicated fans who feel its being too "dumbed down."

So Infinite can't even be among the few surprises they have in store, either?

A whole hr of just SF and no chance of Infinite?

There's no Capcom or Marvel panels separate from what I can see.

Then they probably aren't finished updating the schedule because I don't see it.

Either way, it seems strange that a new VS title would not even be shown at a Comic Con. That just sounds so ass backwards. Even SFV in development was shown at Comic Con in 2015.

smurfx

get some go again
there is no way in hell this game is releasing this year without it being barebones like sf5. we would have got more information by now if they were actually anywhere close to finishing it.

I'm aware. I just think if we can get a panel dedicated to the 30th anniversary of Street Fighter, there's no reason why we can't at least get something related to Infinite. Wouldn't this actually be a good time to show where they're at with the game?

If we don't get an announcement, I really do think we'll have to wait till E3 and that kinda sucks.

Do you have any hints as to when we'll hear anything at all? Or are you still unable to share anything?

there is no way in hell this game is releasing this year without it being barebones like sf5. we would have got more information by now if they were actually anywhere close to finishing it.
I don't want to be pessimistic but I can see the game being pushed back to 2018.

I hope that Capcom doesn't make the same mistake again rushing this.

They did say they'll release the game when it's ready, so I don't think they'll have a SFV situation. That launch was terrible and they don't need anymore negativity right now.

All I want is to see a little something.

Skilletor

January/February releases work well for Capcom.

I hope this game isn't this year if just a few months ago they didn't even have a control scheme locked down.

Weiss

Banned
They've already confirmed Story Mode right? I wonder what else will be in.

It seems insane that any fighting game can come out and not have Survival and Time Attack.

I'm hoping there's a more in-depth Training Mode this time around. Actually teach some combos and character strategies.

Accessible Single Player Content: In addition to the cinematic story experience, players can hone their skills in a variety of accessible single player modes, including Training, Mission and Arcade modes

That's what we know so far.

jbug617

Banned
C7fmA5EXQAA5SAI.jpg

Ono was there.

I wonder if Ono has something to do with the development of the game? I don't think he does. I suppose he could just be invited to the meetings and stuff/allowed to tease upcoming announcements or something.

Max finally makes a MVCI video, then Ono posts a tease hmmm?

Dai101

Banned
I wonder if Ono has something to do with the development of the game? I don't think he does. I suppose he could just be invited to the meetings and stuff/allowed to tease upcoming announcements or something.

Max finally makes a MVCI video, then Ono posts a tease hmmm?

Was thinking exactly the same.....

Neoxon

Seems like the rumors weren't lying about Marvel Entertainment taking down any X-Men/F4 art from their offices. I guess they didn't put them back up in light of Marvel & Fox's improving relationship.

While I don't think Ono is directly involved with the development of MvCI (though he might be a producer?), he does share the office with people who do, and he's somewhat of a celebrity among gamers and fighting game fans in particular. He's become a bit of a "face" for Capcom fighting games, if you will. So don't be surprised if he's the one teasing stuff.

Tizoc

Define 'barebones' because a generic arcade mode, versus mode, training and online modes are enough for any fighting game. A gallery mode would be neat to have but long as a fighter has those core modes it is enough and any fighting game could have those regardless of dev cycles

Top Bottom