• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite Characters and Stages Roster Discussion Thread

Evilisk

I'm seriously surprised at the lack of Wesker and Wright. Also surprised that Capcom's not getting a grappler, that may be a first for the Versus series (we had Gief, Haggar and Alex for previous titles). I'd also say Zero as well (since dude's barely missed a Capcom crossover), though I already previously thought he might miss out because of X and Sigma

Firebrand AND Arthur is pretty whack, and I like GnG. Nemesis is also weird. I think they may have been added for variety though (they all have different playstyles. Also different sizes, Firebrand and Arthur being short, Nemesis being the big guy for the Capcom side)

I also didn't have much expectations for the Marvel side, but pretty disappointing to hear Black Panther ain't anywhere

Jedah's a damn good pick though.

I was just given permission to share this.

Arthur
Chris
Chun-Li
Dante
Firebrand
Jedah
Monster Hunter
Morrigan
Nemesis
Ryu
Spencer
Strider Hiryu
X

Ant-Man
Captain America
Captain Marvel
Doctor Strange
Gamora
Hawkeye
Hulk
Iron Man
Nova
Rocket/Groot (this is how the character was named to me; I’m not sure if it’s just Rocket Raccoon with Groot assists or a redesigned character actually called Rocket/Groot)
Spider-Man
Thanos
Thor
Ultron

The Capcom side is missing a character, but it’s probably someone like Frank West.

wow this is really boring

So I'll ask here first

Would have have traded the 2-3 hour story mode to have another 6 umvc3 veterans in the base roster

Would prefer it not to be limited to UMvC3 veterans only, but probably.

You know, those final four newcomers aren't that bad. Three of them were guys I wanted (though I would have liked Pyron more than Jedah, any Darkstalkers besides Bishamon is welcome in my book) and Gamora works well enough. Oddly, while I think Gamora's a bit dull power wise, sword users aren't that prevalent in MvC. Still, I always pictured her with a great sword, but that's always what I pictured the Monster Hunter with. Still, the Hunter could have any number of weapons.

Kind of wonder what look they went with for the Monster Hunter. Probably Rathalos armor, but hey, it could be a stealth fifth female character, couldn't it?

I would have released the game in february with the exact same number of characters as vanilla 3...

I know that it has been in development for a while but it gives the impression that's is being rushed.

Arthur
Chris
Chun-Li
Dante
Firebrand
Jedah
Monster Hunter
Morrigan
Nemesis
Ryu
Spencer
Strider Hiryu
X

Ant-Man
Captain America
Captain Marvel
Doctor Strange
Gamora
Hawkeye
Hulk
Iron Man
Nova
Rocket/Groot (this is how the character was named to me; I’m not sure if it’s just Rocket Raccoon with Groot assists or a redesigned character actually called Rocket/Groot)
Spider-Man
Thanos
Thor
Ultron

The Capcom side is missing a character, but it’s probably someone like Frank West.

what a shit roster. did they really bring back nemesis a character no one wanted to begin with?

crash-14

Jedah look's like a Digimon to me.

Let's see how it plays. Guess the marketing plan was to put a well known line-up for the Marvel side to attract the mainstream fan base, and then milk the die-hard fans with fan favorite dlc (Specially on capcom's side).

Will see if I'm right.

Jawmuncher

Jedah look's like a Digimon to me.

Let's see how it plays. Guess the marketing plan was to put a well known line-up for the Marvel side to attract the mainstream fan base, and then milk the die-hard fans with fan favorite dlc (Specially on capcom's side).

Will see if I'm right.

It makes sense (Even if it's not preferred).
The die-hard consumers of the DLC are going to be those who know those older capcom franchises. While for the general audiences Xmen and Some fantasic Four characters fill that. Along with some other odd omissions like Deadpool

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Hey everyone! Let's list what new Capcom properties are being represented in this roster:

Now let's compare to MvC3:
  • Mega Man Legends
  • Mega Man X
  • Ghosts n Goblins
  • Bionic Commando
  • Ōkami
  • Street Fighter IV series
  • Devil May Cry
  • Dead Rising
  • Final Fight
  • Ace Attorney
  • Viewtiful Joe

Arthur
Chris
Chun-Li
Dante
Firebrand
Jedah
Monster Hunter
Morrigan
Nemesis
Ryu
Spencer
Strider Hiryu
X

Ant-Man
Captain America
Captain Marvel
Doctor Strange
Gamora
Hawkeye
Hulk
Iron Man
Nova
Spider-Man
Thanos
Thor
Ultron

No Jin makes me sad.

RedBoot

Hot takes:
- Monster Hunter feels like a wasted slot, but I'm also not a fan of the franchise, so we'll see if it has any gameplay potential. To some degree, it's a good thing one of Capcom's bigest modern franchises is getting representation.

- Gamora over other Guardians characters is neat to see. I think gameplay wise it's nice to have a sword character and there's more potential than there would have been for Star-Lord IMO.

There's plenty of potential for Monster Hunter. Each weapon type in the game has its own moveset of sorts, they could go anywhere from sword character to Dante-style kitchen sink character to summoner character with Felynes and Monsters popping up.

MCU Star-Lord would basically be Gun Man (maybe with some dance moves), but I think he has an elemental gun in the comics? That's what I was hoping to see, anyway.

MM Legends was in MvC2. I also think it's worth noting that Tatsunoko was the debut for MMX, Dead Rising and Viewtiful Joe, so MvC3 wasn't innocent of asset reuse either.

You do still have a point, tho. :p

So another fun question for yall

14 characters to both best represent Capcom across the board and to have a variety of move sets. Which 14 would you pick? You can only pick 4 newcomers at max but you can pick vets from any vs game.

Arthur
Chris
Chun-Li
Dante
Firebrand
Jedah
Monster Hunter
Morrigan
Nemesis
Ryu
Spencer
Strider Hiryu
X

Ant-Man
Captain America
Captain Marvel
Doctor Strange
Gamora
Hawkeye
Hulk
Iron Man
Nova
Spider-Man
Thanos
Thor
Ultron

Jedah, Morrigan, Strider and X aren't nearly enough to sell me on this game. The Marvel side is hot garbo.

Neoxon

For the record, I was referring to the Monster Hunter when I mentioned a leak from a while ago that flew under the radar (the SRK leak).

NexusCell

If I ever see Combofiend I want him to tell me to my face that fucking Firebrand was worth keeping over Phoenix Wright, Ammy, Joe, Asura, Gene, or any non repped franchise.

14 characters to both best represent Capcom across the board and to have a variety of move sets. Which 14 would you pick? You can only pick 4 newcomers at max but you can pick vets from any vs game.
SF1/SFA/SF3
Ryu
Karin
Urien

Resident Evil
Jill
Leon
Wesker

Devil May Cry
Dante
Vergil

Megaman
Mega Man X

Darkstalkers
Morrigan
Jedah
Phobos

Other
MH character
Amateratsu

Fourteen slots makes this really hard. Couldn't even include any breath of fire, power stone, rival schools or red earth characters. There aren't nearly enough Megaman characters either.

I wonder how things go with roster picks.
Specially the Capcom side, it's a huge letdoen IMO.

DLC will "save" the game (if they choose wisely or do polls)

DLC is the game's last hope.

If the game struggles to sell, though, DLC won't mean a damn thing.

Now I just get annoyed reading this:

GC: Yeah, actually let’s do that. But some basic questions you might be able to allude to… I’m sure you won’t say how many characters there are going to be in total, but are we looking at a similar figure to the last game? [Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 launched with 36 characters – GC]

ME: We can’t say at this time, but we do have 14 characters announced today and then obviously until September 19th we still have a lot of time. We have many more announcements coming. But I can’t say about the final number.

GC: So you’re not ruling out it being disappointingly low? [laughs]

ME: [laughs] It won’t be disappointing!

GC: When this was first announced some fans theorised that the Marvel characters would only include those that Marvel has the cinematic rights to. That is the case so far, but is that going to be true for the whole game?

ME: No…

GC: It’s nothing to be ashamed of, if it’s all down to the lawyers.

ME: Totally, totally. No, but it’s not. And if Marvel were here they would answer as I’m going to. It’s not based on the Marvel Cinematic Universe. We take a lot of inspiration from the cinematic universe, but the game is a completely original universe.

All of it is horseshit.

I-hate-u

Nemesis over Wesker?
Arthur and Firebrand?
Iron Man and Thor the only tri-dash characters?
mHM3DMk.gif

Ryu
Chun Li (I'd prefer Cammy though)
Chris Redfield
Jill Valentine
Dante
Vergil
Phoenix Wright
Frank West
X
Zero
Strider Hiryu
Amaterasu
Captain Commando
Jin

That interview... BS all over it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So, do we begin to lean on this rumour, now? Leaker called 4 bars and no Phoenix Wright. Note that the leaker is working off of cutscenes/promotional material, so "in the game" could mean present in the story mode but not playable.

Apollo could be the last Capcom character in the base roster, and Edgeworth & Daredevil could be DLC. And in the case "all-new" or however they branded Season 1 characters doesn't mean what we assumed it means, maybe the other two Marvel characters in Season 1 are Wolverine and Cyke?

kirblar

So, do we begin to lean on this rumour, now? Leaker called 4 bars and no Phoenix Wright. Note that the leaker is working off of cutscenes/promotional material, so "in the game" could mean present in the story mode but not playable.

Apollo could be the last Capcom character in the base roster, and Edgeworth & Daredevil could be DLC. And in the case "all-new" or however they branded Season 1 characters doesn't mean what we assumed it means, maybe the other two Marvel characters in Season 1 are Wolverine and Cyke?
Sneakers confirmed Frank as the last slot. All 6 S1 characters are brand new. Sigma confirmed, BP all but confirmed.

For my own list

Ryu (sf1)
Chun Li (sf2)
Wesker (re)
X (mmx) [from mmx6 so he'd have zero's beam saber]
Haggar (ff)
Spencer (bc)
Amaterasu (okami)
Arthur (gng)
Morrigan (darkstalkers)
Monster Hunter (mh)
Dante (dmc)
Strider (strider)
Phoenix Wright (aa)
Frank West (dr)

This really is hard, I only have 1 newcomer, almost no female characters, only sf has more then 1 rep, and I wasn't able to fit viewtiful joe in. I guess I could cut amaterasu for joe since joe did get more games during his series life.

Zero-ELEC

Banned

Ingrid
Chun-Li
Regina
Lady
Sherry
Tron
Maki
Amaterasu
Morrigan
Nilin
Maya
Sakura
Roll
Rouge

:p

Drive by post in the other thread a few minutes ago. Implied that like SFV, they have long term plans here for supporting it.

Definitely DLC, but unknown when he'll be DLC.

They could get away w/ him as an S1 IF it 's Flash-Venom w/ the guns.

Can you link me to the sneakers post so I can add it to the other thread first post?

Jawmuncher

Isn't Venom a DLC character according to the leak?

Could be a change of things. Maybe it's not eddie brock or because he wasn't in MVC3 he's getting changed greatly from his MVC2 incarnation. If he's in this first season I'd suspect it's like the whol MVC2 jill vs RE5 jill

MechaX

I dunno how I would react if Apollo fucking Justice got in over Phoenix.

Like kid, you had one game that proved you were about shit; you ain't Zero-caliber yet.

And I do hope that Amaterasu makes in it.

RedBoot

Yeah, I think the implication is that we're getting 6 DLC characters this year (all new) and more next year, which would include Venom and probably more MvC3 vets. It would make sense since Capcom appears to be going the SF5 route here.

I'm not sure if there's anything that would determine when Venom shows up (Sony's movie is far off, assuming it even happens), so he might just randomly pop up in March or something.

Top Bottom