• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite Characters and Stages Roster Discussion Thread

Weiss

Banned
What do you think Amaterasu's odds are on returning?

I think she's got a decent shot. She's unique in being a quadruped fighter and she's from one of Capcom's most acclaimed games.

I actually think Viewtiful Joe might get cut if Gene gets in, since with him and Ammy you can have a team of Clover reps.

Skilletor

Parallels for one move aside, Hulk and Talbain really don't have much else in common. We might as well be talking about how the likes of Steve Rogers has his own SRK equivalent and the like.

Having said that...I do wonder if it may be time for Talbain to get some upgrades to fit the Marvel style better, though. His nunchaku move wouldn't mean much, verbatim from his original games.

Edit: And beaten by, of course, my part time "twin" Skilletor!

We'll have to get tons of games in when this comes out.

How would that work differently than Nova's absorption powers, especially in a fighting game?

I don't believe Nova used absorption based techniques. His Gravimetric Pulse/Blaster drained his red health, but that was about it.

Rose and SFV Nash can absorb projectiles and add it to their own meter, so I'm guessing it would probably be a heightened version of that in Infinite. They could just make it so she can absorb basic projectiles to build meter, or make it a counter hyper that allows her to absorb a super (ie Shinkuu Hadouken) and briefly boost her overall damage. There's many ways this could be implemented.

Hey, so Professor Thorgi's wishlist for the Capcom Side is up. It's a great video, just like his Marvel wishlist. I like his idea of Ms Marvel and Ibuki being crossover BFFs. Never thought of it, but now it seems so obvious!

Just for fun to keep the thread going in this time of no news, what kind of crossover parings could you see really work for hypothetical story purposes (story mode cutscene, arcade ending, etc)?

Roll and Squirrel Girl
Doctor Strange and Tessa
Daredevil and Phoenix Wright

TreIII

Just for fun to keep the thread going in this time of no news, what kind of crossover parings could you see really work for hypothetical story purposes (story mode cutscene, arcade ending, etc)?

Mega Man X and Vision
Lizard and Talbain
Seneschal (Dragon's Dogma) and Dr. Strange
Gene and Iron Fist
Devil Dinosaur (+Moon Girl) and Rathalos
Felyne and Rocket Raccoon
Nina (BOF2) and Scarlet Witch
Green Goblin and Vile

Platy

Asura and Squirrel Girl talking about defeating gods
Amaterasu and Howard talking animals (bonus : Arthur and Howard talking about nes capcom)
Edward Falcon and Carol Danvers talking about planes
Zack & Wiki and Kamala & Slapstick talking about being cartoon like characters (will probably be something shitty like Spencer and Kamala =P)
She Hulk and Phoenix Wright
Megaman X thinking Iron Man is a willy bot that will give him an iron weapon
Ghost Rider and Akira Kazama being biker bros
Viewtiful Joe asking Spidey of Leopardon
Ryu teaching Iron Fist some karate stuff
Moon Girl being mad at Regina for trying to kill Devil Dinosaur

Platy

Amaterasu doesn't talk though.

Amaterasu and ISSUN asking if Howard is the egyptian god Geb or if Rocket is a magical tanuki

Ideally would be Howard asking Amaterasu for some Lobo The Duck almagam action since she is a wolf (lobo) ;D

Will probably be something boring like Amaterasu and Cap talking about drawing stuff

Wesker and Doctor Octopus scheming behind the scenes. They could also get get into who wears the shades better, or who has the better tech when it comes to taking over the world. If Norman is in, then I could see him and Wesker creating their own little plot as well. In their little competitive moments, Wesker might say his Wesker virus is superior to Normie's Goblin serum, or Normie might talk about how his weapons are far better than any BOW Wesker has access to.

Wesker could be paired with Green Goblin or Ock. All of them are geniuses. With the way Spidey talked to Wesker in MVC3, it almost seems like he'd fit in with his rogues. There's so many ways they could go with this.

Neoxon

Mega Man X and Vision
Lizard and Talbain
Seneschal (Dragon's Dogma) and Dr. Strange
Gene and Iron Fist
Devil Dinosaur (+Moon Girl) and Rathalos
Felyne and Rocket Raccoon
Nina (BOF2) and Scarlet Witch
Green Goblin and Vile
As mentioned before, Wanda (sadly) likely won't happen until DLC due to the whole Fox BS. If Avalanche couldn't even get her (or Pietro) for Disney Infinity 3.0, what hope does Capcom have? Granted, there's Lego Avengers, but that had direct ties to the movies, so TT kinda had an out.

Mista Koo

Roll and Squirrel Girl
Doctor Strange and Tessa
Daredevil and Phoenix Wright
I'll just copy my rivalries list :p
Akira & Ghost Rider
Dhalsim &. Ms. Marvel
Godot & Daredevil
Date Masamune & Wolverine
Spencer & Winter Soldier
Rashid & Storm

The first three in particular work well on multiple layers.

I'm hoping Ant-Man will be playable. I've been wracking my mind about how they'd incorporate his shrinking abilities into his moveset. It was probably the main reason why he was relegated to Hawkeye's super in MvC3 even though they knew he was a key phase 2 MCU character.
Getting small: evade/teleport. Getting big: big damage/big hurtbox.

Neoxon

I'll just copy my rivalries list :p
Akira & Ghost Rider
Dhalsim &. Ms. Marvel
Godot & Daredevil
Date Masamune & Wolverine
Spencer & Winter Soldier
Rashid & Storm

The first three in particular work well on multiple layers.

Getting small: evade/teleport. Getting big: big damage/big hurtbox.
I'm not sure if they would relegate Rashid to DLC.

Neoxon

"story mode cutscene, arcade ending" I'm pretty sure most of these wouldn't become playable characters. But they can still interact even if in a story mode/ending still.
I'm not sure if they can even be referenced until DLC, seeing as the game likely started development while the ban was in effect. Marvel Future Fight couldn't even refer to Sunspot by name in the New Avengers update.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
What do you think Amaterasu's odds are on returning?

I think she's got a decent shot. She's unique in being a quadruped fighter and she's from one of Capcom's most acclaimed games.

I think she have a good shot to make in the game based on multiple reasons and her assists is ready to be reused as well.

One day I hope Capcom makes a crossover only instead of Ryu it's Ken who gets in and BoF!Ryu shows up instead.

Eh. Ryu is going to be in all crossover as much as he could. There is no way that he would miss any fighting crossover game tho.

So regarding Breath of Fire reps, I'm still not thinking Ryu gets in (unless they go for Ryu Bateson, or the more awkward sounding Brood Ryu), but what about Nina or Garr?

I don't understand the mentality of people become obsessed with two characters sharing same name. I strongly believe that it wouldn't matter if we are going to get two characters with same name.

and Garr probably have lowest chance out of all BOF characters you mentioned there.

It's going to be Ryu, Nina or Fou-Lu. I'm willing to be surprised if they want to pick something else from BOF.

I'm hoping Ant-Man will be playable. I've been wracking my mind about how they'd incorporate his shrinking abilities into his moveset. It was probably the main reason why he was relegated to Hawkeye's super in MvC3 even though they knew he was a key phase 2 MCU character.

I'm thinking Ant-Man would be more likely to have low HP if he have shrinking abilities.

Its unlikely that all four would get in, but I think a good rival match up would by Cody & Guy vs. Luke Cage & Iron Fist.

And while I know I've said it before, I think Ant-Man could work by basically having a stance system where he's either around Viewtiful Joe sized as Ant-Man, or Sentinel sized as Giant-Man, with supers and special moves making him grow or shrink to the correct size. Like if he was in the Ant-Man stance, he could have a shrinking teleport type move, or a move where he moves forward while shrinking, and then grows back to normal, almost like Fox's Fox Illusion in Smash, but with shrinking rather than hologram trails. He could also summon swarms of ants, or make a giant ant appear. As Giant-Man, he could have a move where he jumps off screen, and then a large fist or foot comes down, as well as having longer reach attacks and grapple attacks.

Edzi if u want a new main why not akuma lmao u seem to know what ur doing with him already. I picked vega just there to see if you'd play the same as u were against my akuma and u weren't for some reason. When it was akuma mirror u were on point so if u like akuma use him and do that.

Wrong thread bruh.

Zubz

Banned
I feel Joe's a given if that rumor that Capcom's side is going to play up its Japanese origins to juxtapose Marvel's American ones; Joe is Capcom's superhero, and he's a sentai one at that.

I do expect we'll see him, Ammy, and Gene, but once again they're probably withholding a selection of Capcom characters to pair with the X-Men (& Doom). Since the X-Men are definitely a big enough hook on their own, that's probably where Capcom will stick the "popular-but-not-too-popular" characters. If it's not Gene paired with Wolverine (Since Carol has Ryu now) it'd Ammy with Storm.

Sesha

I hope a minimal amount of veterans are DLC. Having veterans as DLC doesn't feel right, unless they've been reworked like Jill was in MvC3 (and it still didn't feel right).

Neoxon

I hope a minimal amount of veterans are DLC. Having veterans as DLC doesn't feel right, unless they've been reworked like Jill was in MvC3 (and it still didn't feel right).
As mentioned before, you can't add everyone in the base roster. There's nothing wrong with adding some veterans as DLC. Plus if the Fox characters are indeed DLC, expected a ton of X-Men vets (& Doom).

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I feel Joe's a given if that rumor that Capcom's side is going to play up its Japanese origins to juxtapose Marvel's American ones; Joe is Capcom's superhero, and he's a sentai one at that.

What rumor is it? It's first time I've heard of this rumor. Source?

In everyone's opinion, what's the likelihood we'll see a rep from these franchises?

1) Power Stone
2) Star Gladiator
3) Red Earth
4) Rival Schools

I'd be happy getting a rep from at least one of those games. More than one would be even better.

One of the things I'm most looking forward to is that "WTF" character that'll inevitably be included. I still remember how shocked I was when I saw MODOK make the MVC3 roster. I really wonder who'll be that guy/gal this time around.

Platy

WTF characters are why I keep playing fighting games even when I am a shitty player

I even made my "full wtf roster prediction that will never happen"

In everyone's opinion, what's the likelihood we'll see a rep from these franchises?

1) Power Stone
2) Star Gladiator
3) Red Earth
4) Rival Schools

Rival Schools has a high chance.
Power Stone is complex because it is obscure but the script writes itself with the infinity gems
Red Earth hard
Star Gladiator ZERO

Rival Schools would be... not unreasonable to expect, so long as you don't sit around dreaming about getting anyone other than Batsu.

Power Stone COULD happen, but is a lot less likely. It's extremely beloved, and would thematically fit will in an MvC game with Infinity Gems, but Capcom likes to pretend they don't exist.

There are so few people who played Red Earth or Star Gladiator that I bet the majority of people who know of the games have never even seen them in motion.

Mista Koo

I can see Star Gladiator's Hayato returning as DLC. I could see them pairing X-men and Doom DLC with veterans that are mainly known for being MvC characters such as him, Jin, Captain Commando, maybe even Strider. Although they are way more likely to just have other vetrans from 3 returning.

It's amazing how only 7-10 characters from each side made the jump from 2 to 3. Would be amazing if something similar happened here.

I'm not sure if they can even be referenced until DLC, seeing as the game likely started development while the ban was in effect. Marvel Future Fight couldn't even refer to Sunspot by name in the New Avengers update.
Dude this is just for fun, I mean this whole thread is. If we're being realistic it would just be people crying from now til release because they know their favorites aren't getting in the game.

I would love for either Leo/Tessa to make it in. They'd be great.

I actually thought of Leo being the replacement for Haggar, as much as I love him... I'd much rather see him appear in Street Fighter already.

Edit: I see Tessa working really well in Infinite. So, I would much rather have her if I had to choose a Red Earth rep.

Godot & Daredevil

oh my god

this is genius

1) Power Stone
2) Star Gladiator
3) Red Earth
4) Rival Schools

I'd be happy getting a rep from at least one of those games. More than one would be even better.

One of the things I'm most looking forward to is that "WTF" character that'll inevitably be included. I still remember how shocked I was when I saw MODOK make the MVC3 roster. I really wonder who'll be that guy/gal this time around.

I feel like if nothing else, both Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom and MvC3 were really great about including series that had little to no representation in the series prior, (DMC, Ace Attorney, Onimusha, Mega Man X, Resident Evil, Street Fighter III, Viewtiful Joe, etc.) so hopefully they'll include some Power Stone love.

I think the next likeliest series is probably Rival Schools. IIRC, Hinata just barely missed making the cut for TvC, so it'd be nice to see her to round out the Taiyo trio's appearances in the Vs. games.

Ryce

Niitsuma Tweeted some more characters who were shot down for MvC3:

Blade
Spider-Woman
Psylocke
Spiral
Cloak & Dagger
Multiple Man

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Blade
Spider-Woman
Psylocke
Spiral
Cloak & Dagger
Multiple Man

Blade was pretty common knowledge but I remember few gaffers were rooting for Multiple Man. Man, I thought it would be so wacky to see how they would works in the game.

SaikyoBro

What if Alex comes back for this game? He was probably the most requested SFV character in America and the framework is already there from TvC.

The SF representation is something that's hard to nail down tbh. Ryu and Chun are obvious, Bison is possible, an SFV rep is almost guaranteed (Rashid or Necalli most likely but I still think Nash would count), a lot of people seem to associate Akuma with the Vs. series at this point, and of course every now and then you see the odd request for characters like Ken, Cammy or Sagat... and honestly with the whole reused assets thing going on I wouldn't count C. Viper 100% out either, especially as DLC. I guess we'll probably end up with 3 or 4 but there's a boatload who would make sense to add.

If I only got 3 it would be Ryu, Chun-Li, and Nash and if I could add one more it would be Bison (coincidentally the first four characters revealed for SFV and all major players in that game's story).

Ryce

Ideally, I'd like to see:

Ryu
Chun-Li
Akuma
M. Bison (main series villain)
Nash (SFA protagonist)
Alex (SFIII protagonist)
C. Viper (SFIV rep, MvC3 veteran)
Rashid (SFV protagonist)

But I know 8 is way too many Street Fighter characters. I'd be content with Ryu, Chun-Li, Akuma, and anyone else from that list.

AdaWong

Ryu
Chun-Li
Akuma
Nash (SFA protagonist)
Alex (SFIII protagonist)
Rashid (SFV protagonist)

But I know 8 is way too many Street Fighter characters. I'd be content with Ryu, Chun-Li, Akuma, and anyone else from that list.

Viper must return, her playstyle fits MvC too much to not have her in again. Her moveset in UMVC was great; flashy and unique. And her Optic Laser move is a good replacement for Cyclops if no X-Men are in this :3

SaikyoBro

Ryu
Chun-Li
Akuma
Nash (SFA protagonist)
Alex (SFIII protagonist)
Rashid (SFV protagonist)

Yeah I really liked TvC's approach with having a character who debuted in the first, second and third game each. Of course at this point there's 5 games (along with Alpha) and mainstays like Bison and Akuma so it's not really feasible.

I also liked how TvC and MvC3's Mega Man characters were all from different subseries, that's the reason I was really hoping we'd see Classic Mega Man in Marvel 3 while most people were pushing for X. My ideal Mega Man roster for this game would probably be something like X, Proto Man, and Tron Bonne but we already have a pretty good idea Sigma is in the game in some form so I'd be pretty stunned if Zero was the only X character to get snubbed.

I dunno, I have a bad feeling the Mega Man characters are all going to be from X. Fingers crossed Tron, Proto Man, Roll, or Bass find their way into the roster.

I think I may have mentioned it already but I think I'm in the odd minority that would love to see the likes of Ken, Sakura, and Cammy, despite knowing they're boring choices for roster diversity, back since they were so much fun in the older games. Seeing Ken's "Flaming Tower" Shinryuuken was such a visual highlight of the early VS games for me and I'd love to see that in modern graphics.

SaikyoBro

Yeah I do really miss seeing the Vs. incarnations of characters like Ken, Dan, Zangief and Dhalsim. There's obviously not room for all of them in Marvel vs. Capcom but maybe we'll eventually see them in Capcom All-Stars or whatever.

Blade
Spider-Woman
Psylocke
Spiral
Cloak & Dagger
Multiple Man

From really bad google translation
-Blade too similar to Dante
-Spider-woman's flight and venom blasts might have made her too similar to Trish
-Cloak and Dagger would work like a Jojo's character stand.
-Thai Rock (Psylocke?): Something about Hiryu being enough ninja-type characters?
-Multiple Man: some joke about how it would lessen workload
-Nothing about the Spiral one seems like a reason for her absence?
-Squirrel Girl was also mentioned as a alternate choice instead of Rocket Raccoon,
-Doctor Strange was pushed heavily into inclusion by Marvel
-Nova was a request specifically from Marvel.
(might have been because Nova was originally supposed to be in GOTG1 before being cut to make Star Lord the only Earthling? I think that's right.)
-Ghost Rider was a very popular choice. And maybe something about the Motorcycle aspect being tricky

Man, I'd really love to see Cloak and Dagger though

Top Bottom