• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite Characters and Stages Roster Discussion Thread

Saw that leak this morning and laughed my ass off. I doubt anybody who works at Capcom remembers God Hand, much anyone who would put Gene in their new flagship crossover fighter.

pls give Gene w/ Azrael costume

Gene nearly made the UMVC3 roster. I wouldn't be shocked if he's included in Infinite.

Sesha

I hope Felicia is cut just so I can say "Bye Felicia".

Saw that leak this morning and laughed my ass off. I doubt anybody who works at Capcom remembers God Hand, much anyone who would put Gene in their new flagship crossover fighter.

Gene was almost in UMvC3 along with X and Miles Morales before they cut the number of new characters from 20 to 12.

I talked about June earlier yet forgot about Star Gladiator's existence. Welp, I want a Cosmic Capcom game now. We can get Ken 2010 up in this thing.

Lets not go crazy here....

Originally Posted by Miker

I wouldn't be too sure about that. Gene was highly requested, Capcom took notice and he just barely missed the roster.

Neoxon

Gene, Mega Man X, Miles Morales, & 5 other characters almost made the cut for UMvC3 before time constraints made Marvel & Capcom cut the additional character count down to 12 (they were originally aiming for 20).

Shadoken

That actually brings up a point that I was gonna mention in the previous post. Up until now, Laura hasn't really been in any Top 8's. But now that she's a really strong character in Season 2, I feel like Capcom may have to do something about Laura so ESPN doesn't get pissed (either censor Laura's default or put out a more tasteful costume). Maybe ESPN could deem Laura's default as fine, but considering how they reacted to Mika's default, I'm not so sure.

I never understood why ESPN got pissed. I mean its not supposed to be a kids channel or something right? You have other sports where actual Real women wear revealing outfits.

I never understood why ESPN got pissed. I mean its not supposed to be a kids channel or something right? You have other sports where actual Real women wear revealing outfits.

I don't know that "pissed" is the right word for it, and are we sure that it was all ESPN and no Capcom?

It strikes me that if you want to present a game as a spectator sport, getting too cheesecakey kinda undermines the image of a game as a serious sport.

But at the same time, I think it's only REALLY egregious examples of cheesecake that get censored. People thinking Morrigan will be heavily censored are overdoing it. Though I do wonder about Felicia, but as long as she has an alt with more coverage she's probably fine.

Zackat

I don't know that "pissed" is the right word for it, and are we sure that it was all ESPN and no Capcom?

It strikes me that if you want to present a game as a spectator sport, getting too cheesecakey kinda undermines the image of a game as a serious sport.

But at the same time, I think it's only REALLY egregious examples of cheesecake that get censored. People thinking Morrigan will be heavily censored are overdoing it. Though I do wonder about Felicia, but as long as she has an alt with more coverage she's probably fine.

I remember reading a reddit AMA with the producer for it and he said they weren't really pissed off about it. Seems like that whole thing got really overblown by r/kappa and the like, because they really love animated tits more than they love fighting games.

They would likely readily admit it as well.

That leak reads like someone just read through this thread and put together the roster that ninety percent of us would want.

On the other hand, at least it gives me a reason to dream of a Falcon/Squirrel Girl or Falcon/Luke Cage team that I'll always use.

I remember reading a reddit AMA with the producer for it and he said they weren't really pissed off about it. Seems like that whole thing got really overblown by r/kappa and the like, because they really love animated tits more than they love fighting games.

They would likely readily admit it as well.

See, that's what I figure. I get the feeling it was more of a soft "eh, let's maybe pick the more modest costumes to present the best image", but I'm sure it got spun into something much bigger by heresay.

I say this as somebody who revels in the glory of TnA, but there's a time and a place for it, and if somebody thinks it isn't a good look for the public I totally get it.

Mika's ass is just a trouble magnet is all

#TeamHometown

#TeamLife you heathen

Neoxon

Why is Rashid so likely to y'all? I guess as a SFV representative, but wouldn't Necalli make more sense?
Rashid was the break-out character of SFV's story & is generally the most liked from a personality & lore perspective. That plus his playstyle would be easy to translate into MvCI.

LuuKyK

I would love to have Logan and Storm as DLC but I would trade them both for Psylocke.

Marvel pls.

#justiceforbetsy

Also lol @ that leak.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
dmn Justin nd Momochi are leaving EG? whats going on over there

LuuKyK

Lets be real, Rashid won't be in because Storm is going to be DLC and aint nobody got time and roster space for that many tornados.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Lets be real, Rashid won't be in because Storm is going to be DLC and aint nobody got time and roster space for that many tornados.

what if they are paired as dlc tho

Ryce

Necalli would be cool if he didn't lose so much during SFV's story and actually used his mud powers during gameplay.

I find the Miles thing really questionable. Not false, but questionable. Yeah, I know the writer of MVC3 said it, but Miles wasn't even a thing until a few months before Ultimate released.
For one thing, Frank said he fought hard to get him into the game based on the responses people were giving the character.
In reply to Ekie
Frank Tieri ‏@FrankTieri 11 Dec 2011
@Ekie0 And for the record, it was only due to time constraints that Miles Morales didnt get in UMVC3. Because everyone was on board with it.
In reply to Ekie
@Ekie0 ...Marvel was getting at the time about that character. Want to talk about racism? That was some REAL racism right there. Appalling.
In reply to Ekie
@Ekie0 Its one of the reasons I tried so hard to get Miles Morales into UMVC3 as Spider-man DLC. I was infuriated at some of the responses..
the responses didn't happen until August 2011, since that was when Miles debuted
The new Spider-Man will be a half-black half-Hispanic teenager – EW ...
ew.com/article/2011/08/02/spider-man-new-ultimate-black-hispanic
Aug 2, 2011 - Spider-Man is dead. Long live Spider-Man! Marvel Comics announced today that a new webslinger will appear in this week's Ultimate Comics Fallout #4.
The release month for UMVC3 was announced in JULY
https://gamerant.com/ultimate-marvel-vs-capcom-3-details-trailers-case-96696/
Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom is set to release this November for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3
There's no way this works
He might have been very likely for some sort of Ultimate pt 2 DLC, but...I don't see a character getting pushed so late into development being apart of Niitsuma's 8.

ON THE OTHER HAND,
Fans want to know who are the 8 characters ?
http://www.capcom-unity.com/ask_capcom/go/thread/view/7371/29463507/i-found-this-old-news-of-umvc3

Sven: They don't exist. Characters beyond the ones that made it were never finalized with Marvel and never made because it was apparent early on in the dev process that there wouldn't be enough time to do them all.
Maybe there never was an official 8 characters? Sure Niitsuma said Gene and X were in the final pools, but who knows how large those pools were?

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2011/jul/22/mega-man-gene-god-hand-were-final-umvc3-character-pool/
• Gene from God Hand was in very close consideration for UMvC3's roster. They had more characters in the final pool than they could put in the game, and Gene happened to be in that category. Mega Man was in the final pool of characters too.

I could very well be wrong because
This isn't the first time Marvel has done something like this, now that I remember Thane being announced for mobile games at the same time as Marvel's Infinity comic. But I don't see it happening for a console fighting game. How long does it take to even develop and balance a character?
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/infinitys-prodigal-son-arrives-sooner-635539
the character's first appearance happened last week when "Thane" showed up as a lock-boxed character in the Marvel Avengers Alliance social game, described as a "mysterious being [that] appeared during Thanos' invasion of Earth [who] holds tremendous power in his hands."

SO IT COULD HAPPEN, but its unlikely that he was as locked in as Tieri makes it seem.
I just know somehow I missed something glaringly obvious and I shouldn't post this, but man I did so much research.

I would love to have Logan and Storm as DLC but I would trade them both for Psylocke.

Marvel pls.

#justiceforbetsy

Also lol @ that leak.

Means nothing, but she's beating Storm and tying with Wolverine for #1 in a poll I'm running on GFaqs. And a lot of people didn't like what Niitsuma said. She's probably going to get a fanpush for DLC...and its not like she placed bad on polls beforehand...

Necalli would be cool if he didn't lose so much during SFV's story and actually used his mud powers during gameplay.

Seems like that would be a really cool concept. Clayface mixed with Wolverine mixed with Goku :p What's the point of having the clay/mud aspect if you're not going to do anything with it?

And man, the "leaker" is persistent. I'll give him that.

7Th

If the game already has Ryu, Chun and Akuma I don't see any reason to waste space on Rashid. 3 reps per popular franchise seems ideal for an starting roster; anything else would be overkill.

Shadoken

Agreed , I would like the SF cast to be as minimal as possible. 2-3 characters max.

There is already a dedicated fighting game for that series. Let Other Capcom IPs shine in MvC. Ryu is honestly more than enough.

Also Zangief over Hagar ? That's just wrong. Haggar is the best FinalFight rep for MvC.

vg260

Agreed , I would like the SF cast to be as minimal as possible. 2-3 characters max.

There is already a dedicated fighting game for that series. Let Other Capcom IPs shine in MvC. Ryu is honestly more than enough.

My thoughts as well.

I'd prefer 2 at most from a series.

kewlmyc

If the game already has Ryu, Chun and Akuma I don't see any reason to waste space on Rashid. 3 reps per popular franchise seems ideal for an starting roster; anything else would be overkill.

Didn't MvC3 start with Ryu, Chun, Akuma, and C.Viper?

The thing about Sengoku Basara is that Marvel vs. Capcom is a franchise geared towards the west and, well, no one here really knows or cares about Sengoku Basara.

7Th

The thing about Sengoku Basara is that Marvel vs. Capcom is a franchise geared towards the west and, well, no one here really knows or cares about Sengoku Basara.

If it wasn't for MvC3 I doubt there would be more people that know Amaterasu or Spencer than people that know Date Masamune.

It's gonna be 3 SF characters minimum. Chun Li will be in as sure as the sun will rise, and either Akuma or Bison is absolutely clocking time as a Capcom villain.

The only question worth asking is if we're gonna get Rashid, Viper, neither, or both.

Neoxon

It's gonna be 3 SF characters minimum. Chun Li will be in as sure as the sun will rise, and either Akuma or Bison is absolutely clocking time as a Capcom villain.

The only question worth asking is if we're gonna get Rashid, Viper, neither, or both.
Could be Urien or Gill.

Sure and it left out a bunch of relevant franchises with wonderful potential additions like Sengoku Basara or Monster Hunter.
To be fair, the Monster Hunter dev team outright refused to let a Hunter in (U)MvC3 when Niitsuma's crew asked.

Sure and it left out a bunch of relevant franchises with wonderful potential additions like Sengoku Basara or Monster Hunter.

I believe the Sengoku Basara team foolishly said no as well.

Hopefully this time around they'll see this for the golden opportunity it is to actually promote the series--even though the games aren't likely to be released here again, Date Masamune and Sanada Yukimura are cool characters that the West should get to know more.

Shadoken

If it wasn't for MvC3 I doubt there would be more people that know Amaterasu or Spencer than people that know Date Masamune.

Exactly MvC is amazing way to promote their other IPs. I became a fan of Strider after his MvC appearance.

I could see Urien making it in over Bison, but I feel like Bison has a better shot of getting in over Gill

How likely would Vega, Balrog, FANG and Sagat be?
I feel they all would be less likely than Bison, Gill and Urien

Though I think Juri is probably the most likely

Top Bottom