• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite Characters and Stages Roster Discussion Thread

let's go dante masamune

latest

Number_6

Some hopes (having never played MvC1 or 2), off the top of my head:

Marvel:

Daredevil
Miles Morales (at least an alt)
Green Goblin
Moon Knight
Yondu
America Chavez
Black Panther
Nightcrawler
Darla Deering
Darkhawk
Ghost Rider (Danny Ketch)
Some Dark Avengers

Capcom:

Zero
Roll
Samanosuke
Leon
Uncle Dante
Nero
Ammy!
Blanka

I'm sure I'll think of more later...

Lulubop

I tried to come up with a roster for Marvel but I failed hard. That side of the roster is going to be produce the salt.

Capcom's side is relatively straight forward mostly because they got it so right with Marvel 3 (minus no MMX and Gene which is easily rectified).

For Stages I only want to see moonlight raining Temen-Ni-Gru from DMC3.

19.jpg

Obviously under moon light so you can see what you are doing in it.

I bet the stages are going to be a merger. Seeing Temen ni gru mixed with some kinda marvel demon realm would be dope

Mizerman

I tried to come up with a roster for Marvel but I failed hard. That side of the roster is going to be produce the salt.

Capcom's side is relatively straight forward mostly because they got it so right with Marvel 3 (minus no MMX and Gene which is easily rectified).

For Stages I only want to see moonlight raining Temen-Ni-Gru from DMC3.

19.jpg

Obviously under moon light so you can see what you are doing in it.

Would love to see this as a stage in Marvel.

I bet the stages are going to be a merger. Seeing Temen ni gru mixed with some kinda marvel demon realm would be dope

Most likely, yeah.

My prediction on what the cast will look like

This image is a list by someone with a strong, STRONG understanding of Marvel priorities and branding. I'd make a few changes - I think Star Lord would replace Hawkeye, not be a separate character - but otherwise, I can see Marvel saying "these are the characters you should focus on". I'd probably say Rocket would be the sole Guardians character, with one of the Netflix characters: probably Daredevil or Cage joining the cast.

Lulubop

This image is a list by someone with a strong, STRONG understanding of Marvel priorities and branding. I'd make a few changes - I think Star Lord would replace Hawkeye, not be a separate character - but otherwise, I can see Marvel saying "these are the characters you should focus on". I'd probably say Rocket would be the sole Guardians character, with one of the Netflix characters: probably Daredevil or Cage joining the cast.

I think GnG(Arthur) representation and Strider are locks. I don't see Sigma making it, since we have X and there's too many MM series to being pulling two from 1. I'd really want to see Wily mech for classic representation.

I would love to see Firebrand back too, maybe they can make him more like his Demoncrest self although I do really like him in UMvC3

It's not very balanced, though. Too many similar aesthetic archetypes. Hardly any villains. Capcom likes to balance this stuff out.

Hawkeye is an avenger he's pretty much a lock imo. If anything Gwenpool for an MCU villain. The villain of Spider-man: Homecoming. Also 0% chance of the Remember Me protagonist. Not only is it a third-party game that Capcom only published, Capcom has no interest in pursuing a sequel according to the wikipedia page.

JediLink

I don't see Sigma making it, since we have X and there's too many MM series to being pulling two from 1. I'd really want to see Wily mech for classic representation.
We don't know what their priorities are going to be. TvC might have had one per series, but MvC2 had two from Classic and two from Legends. I actually think putting in characters who don't know each other is more of a waste of potential than sacrificing series diversity.

Flowmoney

I wonder how hard Marvel will push Inhumans in the game. Will they just have Black Bolt or will they be the X-men lineup of the game?

We don't know what their priorities are going to be. TvC might have had one per series, but MvC2 had two from Classic and two from Legends. I actually think putting in characters who don't know each other is more of a waste of potential than sacrificing series diversity.

I don't think using MVC2 as an example is a good idea because that game was basically a cheap sprite dump. Servbot in particular was only playable because they had the sprite from Tron Bonne.

Tizoc

I wonder how hard Marvel will push Inhumans in the game. Will they just have Black Bolt or will they be the X-men lineup of the game?
Black bolt medusa karnak and ms marvel
Tho if i had to choose id say bb and ms narvel at least should make it in

Anth0ny

Thanos, Loki, and Ultron are all big names. Through in Dorm, some Spidey guys like Doc Ock, Goblin. Seems good to me. Capcom will find a way to have fucking Shuma in too.

They can definitely do Thanos, Loki, Ultron, Dorm, Spidey Villain and Kingpin.

But I just think they focus way harder on the heroes in the MCU and Marvel will push the heroes above the villains, as least for the base roster.

JediLink

I don't think using MVC2 as an example is a good idea because that game was basically a cheap sprite dump. Servbot in particular was only playable because they had the sprite from Tron Bonne.
And also cause Roll is a clone of Mega Man. I know rofl

In any case I still wouldn't rule out multple reps per series just yet, or at least I don't want to cause I'd love if Zero or Sigma could make it.

If there really is a larger focus on story, then I would assume that the villain roster would be different than just Thanos, Ultron, Loki, just because there needs to be a lower level villain to move things along. I mean, there's certainly going to be misunderstandings or mind control to make the heroes fight other heroes, but all three of those guys are potential final boss material. While it didn't have a real story mode, MODOK, Super Skrull, Sentinel, and Taskmaster all would have worked well enough for that type of role, and I think people keep underestimating the chances of quirky villains getting in the game, the same way they underestimate characters that Marvel's going to want to push for the future.

I expect Dormammu to return. But yeah, I'm sure Thanos will return and Ultron would be joining in on the fight.

I'm honestly excited about the possible new characters. The thing that makes things hard, is I want certain characters in because of the story mode.

===========

Edit: I forgot to mention it, but being the loser that I am. Lol

I had dreamt that Jedah and Ghost Rider were revealed together for Infinite. It was awesome. ;___;

J-Tier

Marvel:

Howard the Duck
Phil Coulson
Shocker
Arkon
Whitey Whitemane
Angar the Screamer
Spider-Ham
Molecule Man
Terrax
White Rabbit
Toro
Hellcat
Klaw
Batroc the Leaper
Shanna the She-Devil
Alex Wilder
Hulkbuster Iron Man
Colleen Wing

That about rounds out the most epic Marvel Roster

Harpoon

I think GnG(Arthur) representation and Strider are locks. I don't see Sigma making it, since we have X and there's too many MM series to being pulling two from 1. I'd really want to see Wily mech for classic representation.

I would love to see Firebrand back too, maybe they can make him more like his Demoncrest self although I do really like him in UMvC3

With it looking like the final boss is an Ultron/Sigma hybrid, I think Sigma's chances are actually pretty high.

I'm not nearly as invested in the Marvel side, but seriously. Breath of Fire characters this time? Please?

Fou-Lu and Nina? I'd say Ryu, but I feel like two Ryus would be weird.

Neoxon

You do realize that Groot got leaked by both Polygon & Eurogamer, right?

McNum

I expect Sigma because of the blue eyes with the vertical tattoos at the end of the trailer. Look closely and you can see that there's a stripe at the upper and lower eyelids on those eyes. That has to be Sigma. It's just too specific to be anyone else.

If I were to pick out Mega Man characters, I'd probably go with four. X, Sigma, MMZ Zero, and Roll. Though I'll admit Roll is only there because I liked how she played in TvC. I was thinking about one of the ZX characters, but nah... With X already there, ZX would be redundant. Other than that, I just want Phoenix Wright back and Viewtiful Joe from Capcom.

I don't know enough about Marvel to call out anything obscure, but I will make this prediction: If you're a title character in an MCU movie, you're in. Iron Man, Captain America, Hulk, Thor, Winter Soldier, Ultron, at least two Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant-Man, Doctor Strange, Spider-man, Black Panther, and Captain Marvel. And I can't see them leaving out Loki either. Which makes 14, before even considering Vision, Black Widow, War Machine, or Hawkeye. Or Thanos, there are Infinity Stones, after all.

They could fill out the Marvel side easily with MCU characters alone. Which would be a little disappointing, I'll admit. To me, part of the fun of these games is seeing characters I didn't know about in advance. Like Shuma Gorath. And I do want Shuma back, he's just wonderfully unique. On the Capcom side, TvC was my first exposure to Morrigan, and the Darkstalkers in general, too. Yes, I have actually never played as that sprite Morrigan.

tribal24

Banned
Marvel:

Howard the Duck
Phil Coulson
Shocker
Arkon
Whitey Whitemane
Angar the Screamer
Spider-Ham
Molecule Man
Terrax
White Rabbit
Toro
Hellcat
Klaw
Batroc the Leaper
Shanna the She-Devil
Alex Wilder
Hulkbuster Iron Man
Colleen Wing

That about rounds out the most epic Marvel Roster

Coulson would actually be pretty cool, give him different guns and equipment. LMD would be awesome like a teleport of some sort

I love the Marvel side but the Capcom side is off. Breath of Fire weirdos, Demitri instead of Felicia, Roll, and no Spencer who we know is there.

TDLink

Assuming there's 16 or 17 for Marvel in the base game, I'm guessing:

1. Iron Man*
  2. Captain America*
  3. Captain Marvel*
  4. Doctor Strange**
  5. Ant Man**
  6. Groot**
  7. Rocket Raccoon**
  8. Star Lord***
  9. Thor***
  10. Spider-Man***
  11. Hulk***
  12. Hawkeye
  13. Black Panther
  14. Ultron
  15. Loki
  16. Dormammu
  17. Venom

*Officially Confirmed
**Confirmed by games journalism publications
***Blatantly Obvious

This is based on MCU film prioritization. I really wanted to add "TV" characters like Iron Fist and Luke Cage as well but there just isn't enough room with such a small roster...

There's basically 11 there "Hard locked" for the roster imo.

J-Tier

Serious List:

Marvel
Iron Man
Captain Marvel
Captain America
Ultron
Rocket Raccoon
Black Panther
Ant-Man
Thor
Dr. Strange
Starlord
Groot
Hulk
Daredevil
Luke Cage
Spider-Man
Dormmamu
Hawkeye
Green Goblin
Devil Dinosaur

Capcom
Mega Man X
Ryu
Morrigan
Sigma
Spencer
Asura
Date Masamune
Dante
Tessa
Jin Saotome
Frank West
Dr. Wily
Akuma
Tron Bonne
Jill Valentine
Albert Wesker
Sissel
Hauzer, MH Monster or PTX-40

Guys...our dreams are gonna be crushed aren't they? There's just too many good characters to include in a reasonable roster size.
why they should make a Capcom Vs Capcom and Marvel Super Heroes 2 as separate games.

Ryce

I recently heard that Groot can "assist" a certain character (I'm not going to outright leak anyone by name), but it was really vaguely worded and I'm not sure if MvC1-style assists will be revealed at a later date or if this specific character has Groot summon moves. Either way, it doesn't sound like he's playable, but we'll see. (Don't take this as confirmation of anything, but I thought it was worth mentioning.)

Would Scarlet Witch fall under the X-Men licensing paradigm or is she considered a fully fledged Avenger now? Her and Quicksilver's licensing is pretty nebulous considering their origins, but I was under the impression that Marvel got the rights back for her use in all forms of media.

TreIII

With it looking like the final boss is an Ultron/Sigma hybrid, I think Sigma's chances are actually pretty high.

This, plus as far as western tastes are concerned, the X series has always been a clear cut favorite for those who grew up in the SNES and PSX eras of the 90s/2000s. Short of Tron coming back because she may not take much work if we're talking asset reuse, I could definitely see the X series dominating the roster for representation.

It took this long for us to convince Capcom Japan that yes, we actually love Mega Man. If that translates to them giving us plenty of MMX because they think that's what we Westerners want? Hell, I'll take it.

And then ask for ZX and EXE stuff for DLC.

kewlmyc

The sengoku basarra guys, at least with marvel 3. Weren't interested.

Capcom asks the studios whether they want their characters to be in it, they declined.

Maybe they will change their minds, I like those games. But Just wanted to mention that.

....Dammit. I'm sad there was a chance to have them in Mahvel 3 and they personally declined.

vg260

I think there is still room for interpretation in the wording they used in the article:

That means fighting game fans will more likely see characters plucked from The Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy films, and not from properties like the X-Men. Expect to see superheroes like Ant-Man and Groot make appearances, with characters of mutant origin — think Wolverine and Magneto — sitting out this entry.

It's very, very likely these two will be in. But if you really want to nitpick their wording they could have just been giving examples of more recent MCU characters, and not necessarily hard-confirming these two.

I've heard people need to "temper their expectations" for roster size, then I hear the roster will be "bigger than anticipated." I went for a decent medium with 20 choices per side. Smaller than UMvC3 but not tiny.

Marvel:
1. Iron Man
2. Captain America
3. Hulk
4. Thor
5. Spider-Man
6. Black Widow
7. Hawkeye
8. Ant-Man
9. Black Panther
10. Captain Marvel
11. Rocket & Groot (Combined into one, Groot does physical attacks, Rocket fires projectiles)
12. Doctor Strange
13. Daredevil
14. Punisher
15. Luke Cage
16. Jessica Jones
17. Iron Fist
18. She-Hulk
19. Ghost Rider
20. Thanos

Capcom:
1. Ryu
2. Chun-Li
3. Mega Man X
4. Proto Man
5. Morrigan
6. Jon Talbain
7. Dante
8. Vergil
9. Leon Kennedy
10. Jill Valentine
11. Frank West
12. Amaterasu
13. Viewtiful Joe
14. Nathan Spencer
15. Arthur
16. Phoenix Wright
17. Mike Haggar
18. Strider Hiryu
19. Asura
20. Gene

Neoxon

I recently heard that Groot can "assist" a certain character (I'm not going to outright leak anyone by name), but it was really vaguely worded and I'm not sure if MvC1-style assists will be revealed at a later date or if this specific character has new Groot summon moves. Either way, it doesn't sound like he's playable, but we'll see. (Don't take this as confirmation of anything, but I thought it was worth mentioning.)
So you think that Polygon & Eurogamer fucked up something in their information-gathering?
I'm assuming you mean as an assist for Rocket, which would make sense if Groot isn't his own character.

Would Scarlet Witch fall under the X-Men licensing paradigm or is she considered a fully fledged Avenger now? Her and Quicksilver's licensing is pretty nebulous considering their origins, but I was under the impression that Marvel got the rights back for her use in all forms of media.
She & Quicksilver have been banned more often than they've been allowed, & only Lego Avengers managed to get them in recent years. It's safe to assume that both fall under the X-Men ban, so we should probably wait for DLC for those two.

I think there is still room for interpretation in the wording they used in the article:

It's very, very likely these two will be in. But if you really want to nitpick their wording they could have just been giving examples of more recent MCU characters, and not necessarily hard-confirming these two.
Didn't the Polygon guy get on Twitter later saying that he legit heard Groot & Ant-Man from his sources?

Mizerman

I recently heard that Groot can "assist" a certain character (I'm not going to outright leak anyone by name), but it was really vaguely worded and I'm not sure if MvC1-style assists will be revealed at a later date or if this specific character has Groot summon moves. Either way, it doesn't sound like he's playable, but we'll see. (Don't take this as confirmation of anything, but I thought it was worth mentioning.)

Hmm...interesting.

Harpoon

Didn't someone ask the article writer about that, and he said their sources mentioned both Ant-Man and Groot?

Lulubop

Baby Groot assisting rocky in certain moves makes a lot more sense.

Top Bottom