• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite Characters and Stages Roster Discussion Thread

I'm fine with Frank's leveling staying, if needing some tweaks to fit in a 2v2 No Assists game, but I hope Phoenix Wright doesn't have his Evidence thing anymore. It made him borderline unplayable.

If Turnabout Mode was permanent it would have been alright.

If Turnabout Mode was permanent he'd have been absurd

The gimmick behind a character who transitions through three stages, gradually becoming lower risk and higher reward as they progress and as more time is put into them, is great. It also mirrors the flow of the AA games themselves, going from investigation to cross ex to the catch.

Wright should come back pretty damn close to how he was in UMvC3, just adjusted and not reinvented.

I don't even know how badly he'll need adjusting tbf, he's sorely lacking in defenses especially without assists to cover him, but he also won't have a salvo of hidden missiles up his ass every time he tries to dig for evidence.

EDIT: Top of page woot

If the team wants, pretty much any character, besides someone who's fighting style is already established, could have some form of unique mechanic. I've thought of two, though they do borrow stuff from other character's special mechanics.

The first would be Bullseye, who could have a Phoenix Wright style move where he searches the ground for ammo. You could stock up random things like coins which could ricochet, card which could fly in arcs (or I guess you could copy Gambit's old Kinetic Card), or knives which would could be straight piercing attacks. You could also have gag items like baseballs or bowling balls, or stuff like broken bottles to lay caltrop like traps. Assuming this is a three button game, he could store up to three types of ammo at a time, and could throw them with a hadoken motion, which the types of ammo being mapped to light, medium, and heavy.

The other one I thought of, which admittedly would be pretty similar to Frank West or MODOK would be the Super Adaptoid, who would start out the fight weak, but would have special attacks, which if they hit, would "analyze" the opponent, and it would gain progressively more attacks and its appearance would adapt to that as well. Probably be best to just keep it to Avengers abilities that he actually manifests though, rather than exactly who he's fighting, though he could have a Twelve style super where he morphs into his current opponent.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Since ones that would be worse is kinda obvious, what umvc3 character would be better in a environment with no assists?

Wright just needs the bad evidence to not be possible in investigation mode and for search time to be faster. In a game where Wright can't hide behind an assist to search those changes are basically mandatory if capcom wants him to not be terrible and keep his old moveset.

Wright just needs the bad evidence to not be possible in investigation mode and for search time to be faster. In a game where Wright can't hide behind an assist to search those changes are basically mandatory if capcom wants him to not be terrible and keep his old moveset.

But like said, he also won't have assists bearing down on him. No assists greatly lowers the chaos of the game, and may make it more manageable for Phoenix Wright to do his thing. Play a friendly match with someone without using assists, it isn't nearly as difficult as you might think. In fact, getting rid of bad evidence would be a hugely unbalancing element, he'd be able to go turnabout way too quickly in those circumstances.

Plus, it's clear that the intended flow of his gameplay is that sometimes you have to go to courtroom mode without a full slate of evidence, otherwise the Judge wouldn't clear out bad evidence and return you to investigation mode. It may not have worked out that well in practice, but the intention was there.

If I was going to change anything, I'd almost say to make his searching take longer, but give him more defensive assist specials that can still be input while in his search animation to try and react to and block or counter attacks. But if you give him too much ability to wall off, there's no point in making him need to stall for time at all.

It's a great gimmick in concept, but I REALLY don't envy the people who would need to tune it up. It's a much more complex process than balancing a normal character.

Seyavesh

Since ones that would be worse is kinda obvious, what umvc3 character would be better in a environment with no assists?

define better here because otherwise you're just looking at all of the already good characters who function by themselves. this includes the oddball types that you'd rarely see like joe, RR, modok, akuma and whatnot.

the one i think most people would immediately underestimate is modok. that dude is mega fucked up vs the majority of the cast and without assists attempting to catch him can be really painful. dude has a deceptively good comprehensive game.

he'd stlil be worse than the usual suspects though. one character that i think would really really suffer is wolvs to the point of where i think felicia and jill might actually be equal or slightly better than him in a 1v1 setting strictly due to their toolsets allowing for sustained pressure without burning meter and conversions off throws

in general it goes like this: the bad characters will actively become worse and the good characters will become better because there's no assists to attempt to cover for those weaknesses that ryu has.

TreIII

Kut-Ku is also one of the only monsters as iconic as Rathalos so he does make sense. I'm trying not to come off as a broken record with my Rajang suggestion but he'd really be perfect. He also got a lot more spotlight in 4th gen as that game's Surprise Motherfucker.

But if we're going giant then Gore Magala could have all kinds of fun mechanics, from the virus to transformations. It's also one of the most visually interesting and coolest animated monsters ever with TWO god tier battle themes.

Gore Magala would be my favorite choice. Love that monster so much. And imagine a transformation into Chaotic Gore Magala or Shagaru Magala.

Rajang is also a sweet choice; I could imagine it just being so brutal. Level 3 could be the spirit bomb from Frontier, or summoning Deviljho to fight and pounding the opponent to paste as they're caught in the middle.

Gore Magala would definitely be my ideal choice, as well. The only thing going against it is that it doesn't have the kind of veteran status that Kut Ku or Rath does. Same would likely go for Zinogre, too, (who'd I think would have a cool moveset to adapt, AND has that godlike theme, to boot).

But among all those, the only other thing I could ask for is a Prowler. Lil guy would be pretty much a better version of Classic Mega Man's moveset, imo. Right down to how "Rath o' Meow" and "Flying Bomb would be great hypers.

J-Tier

Gore Magala would definitely be my ideal choice, as well. The only thing going against it is that it doesn't have the kind of veteran status that Kut Ku or Rath does. Same would likely go for Zinogre, too, (who'd I think would have a cool moveset to adapt, AND has that godlike theme, to boot).

But among all those, the only other thing I could ask for is a Prowler. Lil guy would be pretty much a better version of Classic Mega Man's moveset, imo. Right down to how "Rath o' Meow" and "Flying Bomb would be great hypers.

Yeah, a Felyne is the most realistic rep. with alt colors based on the other lynian species. And if Cha-Cha is the alt costume, I'd be even happier.

eidrian

Neo Member
I tried to make a new topic about this, but couldn't, so if anyone can help out, it would be much appreciated.

Izumojin's released his 2016 CV featuring Classic Marvel games! This is to remind you all what made these games amazing in hopes the new one will be exciting as well.

Check it out here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AE4-AcVC2M

Credits:
Combos: Izumojin
Editing: Magnetro

Mista Koo

Bored at work.

If the producer came up to you and asked for three characters from each side, but only one of those three are guaranteed and they others most likely won't make it, who would they be?
Capcom:
  • Akira Kazama
  • Shoma Sawamura
  • Roy Bromwell
Marvel:
  • Gwenpool
  • Spider-Gwen
  • Miles Morales
The Capcom part works so well for me since I can't easily choose one between them. Akira is my favorite design wise, Shoma is the most standout, and Roy was my favorite to play as in Rival Schools.
For the Marvel part I don't care much, but I'd love to see one of them.

Neoxon

She Hulk confirmed
I wouldn't say confirmed, but it definitely increases the chances for both Ms. Marvel & She-Hulk by virtue of Marvel actually giving them a push. Though of the two, Ms. Marvel has the better chance of getting in. But the fact that She-Hulk is the only female Marvel veteran from UMvC3 that isn't caught in the Fox ban is noteworthy.

J-Tier

Anyone have fond memories of old school Capcom (SNES, Arcade, and earlier)?

I remember I used to play a ton of The King of Dragons when I was younger. I remember beating the dragon and how epic that fight was at the time. Wasn't a very noteworthy game in the Capcom library, but man did I have fun.

It was basically a side scrolling beat-em-up and you can pick from 5 playable characters who were all DnD inspired archetypes.

When I look through the list of Capcom classics though, the only ones to really receive any recognition are Ghosts n Goblins and Final Fight. I wonder if they could draw more inspiration from these older titles for MvCi. These crossovers tend to have a recency bias (for good reason) but I'd like to see a new throwback character in 3D glory.

tumblr_o80ogulfzR1usrgjso1_540.gif

Here's my contribution to the cause

Jawmuncher

If we dont get an RE character reveal next month, capcom doesn't know how brand synergy works.

Just like realistically. Frank West should've been announced in December to help out DR4 sales. But that game is coming to steam in February, so they could announce him then instead.

Neoxon

tumblr_o80ogulfzR1usrgjso1_540.gif

Here's my contribution to the cause
If I had to guess, Spider-Gwen would probably be an alt for Peter unless Capcom got super-creative. Unlike Miles, Earth-65 Gwen doesn't really have any extra powers that Peter lacks (as mentioned before). Would I be cool with Earth-65 Gwen being in the game, definitely! I just don't expect it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
i just want to see those combofiend interviews / exibihitions where he shows the systems and shit :(

Yeah, I think Kamala is a shoe-in. I hope she's super dorky.

I can really see her being like Viewtiful Joe where she says fawns over a lot of the Marvel and Capcom heroes. I wonder how they'll portray the Capcom universe this time. It was so weird and inconsistent in 3. They were supposed to be two different worlds yet some characters like Joe and Spencer seemed to be aware the Marvel heroes were fictional characters while some just suggested they were all living on the same Earth (She-Hulk vs Haggar, Iron Fist vs Strider). I mean I know I know, "FIGHTING GAME STORY", but hopefully with this "cinematic story mode" they're just a little consistant. Getting back to Ms. Marvel, I think if they went with the whole idea that the Marvel characters know Capcom to be fictional and vice versa, we can get Kamala squee-ing over seeing her "favorite video game characters" come to life. She's got a lot of dorky lines in Lego Avengers, but here's hoping they use her AA voice. Say what you want about the quality of the show, but getting an actress of a Middle Eastern immigrant family who has the same alliterative name (Kathleen Khavari) is pretty damn inspired casting!

Neoxon

I can really see her being like Viewtiful Joe where she says fawns over a lot of the Marvel and Capcom heroes. I wonder how they'll portray the Capcom universe this time. It was so weird and inconsistent in 3. They were supposed to be two different worlds yet some characters like Joe and Spencer seemed to be aware the Marvel heroes were fictional characters while some just suggested they were all living on the same Earth (She-Hulk vs Haggar, Iron Fist vs Strider). I mean I know I know, "FIGHTING GAME STORY", but hopefully with this "cinematic story mode" they're just a little consistant. Getting back to Ms. Marvel, I think if they went with the whole idea that the Marvel characters know Capcom to be fictional and vice versa, we can get Kamala squee-ing over seeing her "favorite video game characters" come to life. She's got a lot of dorky lines in Lego Avengers, but here's hoping they use her AA voice. Say what you want about the quality of the show, but getting an actress of a Middle Eastern immigrant family who has the same alliterative name (Kathleen Khavari) is pretty damn inspired casting!
I'd totally be down for Kathleen Khavari voicing Ms. Marvel in this game, though people seem to prefer Ashely Burch's performance as Ms. Marvel in Lego Avengers for some reason (she did a solid job, but I prefer Kathleen). Though by virtue of Avengers Assemble & Captain Marvel's voice being pulled from that show, Kathleen Khavari is most likely gonna be the voice of Ms. Marvel if she gets in, which I'm all for.

PSqueak

Banned
Bored at work.

If the producer came up to you and asked for three characters from each side, but only one of those three are guaranteed and they others most likely won't make it, who would they be?

Capcom:

Edward Falcon (Power Stone)
Captain Commando
Ershin (Breath of Fire 4, remember when they were rumored for MVC3?)

Marvel:

The Captain (Next Wave: Agents of HATE)
Molly Hayes (Runaways)
Hercules

TreIII

Anyone have fond memories of old school Capcom (SNES, Arcade, and earlier)?

Certainly! I still hook up the PS2 to play through those Capcom classics discs, every so often.

But that's another reason why I'm hoping Captain Commando comes back. Not only because he had a fun moveset, but he did effectively help rep an entire era of Capcom's classic arcade games. And hell, unless somebody from the likes of Black Tiger, Mega Twins or Tiger Road is next up for consideration, at least bring back CapCom!

J-Tier

Certainly! I still hook up the PS2 to play through those Capcom classics discs, every so often.

But that's another reason why I'm hoping Captain Commando comes back. Not only because he had a fun moveset, but he did effectively help rep an entire era of Capcom's classic arcade games. And hell, unless somebody from the likes of Black Tiger, Mega Twins or Tiger Road is next up for consideration, at least bring back CapCom!
Yeah, Captain Commando may be resource intensive, but he IS the face of classic Capcom to me. I think in the Project X Zone series, his moveset made a ton of references to classic series, though I haven't played any game in the Project X Zone series.

Double post sorry/not sorry

I don't wanna come across as a Ms Marvel hater, what are some good Kamela comics to read so I can better understand why people like her so much? Does marvel have a digital subscription service for reading old stuff?

J-Tier

Capcom: Ershin (Breath of Fire 4, remember when they were rumored for MVC3?)
Had to look this character up, never played the fourth entry. What a random character choice lol, but could be neat aesthetically, moveset-wise, and personality-wise. Chances are, we'll get Ryu or Nina though. And maybe Fou-Lu.

I don't wanna come across as a Ms Marvel hater, what are some good Kamela comics to read so I can better understand why people like her so much? Does marvel have a digital subscription service for reading old stuff?
Download the Marvel Unlimited app. $9.99 a month. Read all of her solo stuff to start.

Sesha

I can't remember there being a Fou-Lu rumor for MvC3. I know Fou-Lu was considered for TvC.

Yes. Her solo Ms. Marvel series is the best place to start.

Weiss

Banned

Ryce

I just heard about a really surprising (and awesome) addition to the Capcom side. The animators deserve a raise for getting this character into the game.

The roster is going to be so sick, you guys.

I just heard about a really surprising (and awesome) addition to the Capcom side. The animators deserve a raise for getting this character into the game.

GAHHH such a tease!

While I want to know so badly, I hope no one leaks it, I'd love an out-of-nowhere kind of reveal (like Cloud in Smash).

Mizerman

Damn you and your teasing skills.

Now to guess because you obviously won't tell us. Hmm...

FinKL

Surprising, awesome, and hard to animate Capcom character?

Gotta be a new DarkStalker rep as all the Darkstalkers have such unique animations in 2d, so the transformation to 3D would be mind blowing

Top Bottom