• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite Characters and Stages Roster |DT2| oh dear...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

Some of the suggestions in here would make Hunter one of the most pain in the ass characters to play. Phoenix Wright had enough of gimmicks that really impacted his performance

Honestly I don't get going back to P/K from LMH.

Like, does Dante even have any kicks (normals)? I though all his normals were sword. And who is Arthus gonna kick with those stubby things?

I feel like P/K can be restrictive, because you either get characters who ignore it and punch or use a weapon for kick buttons, or you get characters who are less martial artsy and seem like they would be more brawling/box-y throwing around kicks that seem a bit too flexible for them (I always felt this way about Magneto and Iron Man in the Vs series).

A good thing about Injustice's use of LMH is that Superman doesn't kick. It would look weird.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Some of the suggestions in here would make Hunter one of the most pain in the ass characters to play. Phoenix Wright had enough of gimmicks that really impacted his performance

And that is why we don't get to design the characters/

Like, does Dante even have any kicks (normals)? I though all his normals were sword. And who is Arthus gonna kick with those stubby things?

I feel like P/K can be restrictive, because you either get characters who ignore it and punch or use a weapon for kick buttons, or you get characters who are less martial artsy and seem like they would be more brawling/box-y throwing around kicks that seem a bit too flexible for them (I always felt this way about Magneto and Iron Man in the Vs series).

A good thing about Injustice's use of LMH is that Superman doesn't kick. It would look weird.

Yeah, PPKK doesn't make much sense for MvC since so many characters don't fight with punches and kicks. Dante's "kick" normals are just guns.

JeTmAn81

I don't think they're taking punch/kick too literally any more than Street Fighter does (Balrog, Dudley).

Zero-ELEC

Banned
I don't think they're taking punch/kick too literally any more than Street Fighter does (Balrog, Dudley).

But the use of PP/KK is also more complex for no real gain! Even if you're not using them as literal punches and kicks now you have two Strong Attack buttons and two Weak attack buttons, rather than one Weak, one Medium and one Strong. And you get stuff like Ryu's Shoryuken hyper needing kicks!

And besides, now there's some abilities that no longer have three variations, instead limited to 2 (CapAmerica can no longer throw his shield in certain direction in the air). And with the few abilities that still have more than two variations nothing was gained from having the variations separated by punches and kicks. It's less intuitive.

This is not even thinking about how it makes the basic magic series just a little bit more complex, hurting scrubs like me ;_;

Jawmuncher

I do wish they'd have kept the MVC3 style. Game definitely has a case of one step forward two steps back when it comes to being casual friendly in a sense

kirblar

PK being removed is a consequence of removing DP and especially reverse DP motions.

They needed to compensate for the lack of alternative inputs by doubling up the potential moves you can get via a motion.

Neoxon

I do wish they'd have kept the MVC3 style. Game definitely has a case of one step forward two steps back when it comes to being casual friendly in a sense
You mean the art style? As we mentioned previously in this thread, we have reason to believe that Marvel may have been the ones who requested a more realistic art style & that Capcom couldn't quite nail the execution.

Dahbomb

You mean the art style? As we mentioned previously in this thread, we have reason to believe that Marvel may have been the ones who requested a more realistic art style & that Capcom couldn't quite nail the execution.
Nah man we are talking about the control style here, not the art style.

And we definitely don't need to defend the artystyle just because Marvel mandated it. Marvel's own realistic artstyle in CoC sucks. The blame is on Marvel and Capcom both.

Jawmuncher

Nah I'm talking the gameplay. Stuff like 2 over 3 helps. But then The PK style instead of LMH is like the total opposite in that.

JeTmAn81

But the use of PP/KK is also more complex for no real gain! Even if you're not using them as literal punches and kicks now you have two Strong Attack buttons and two Weak attack buttons, rather than one Weak, one Medium and one Strong. And you get stuff like Ryu's Shoryuken hyper needing kicks!

And besides, now there's some abilities that no longer have three variations, instead limited to 2 (CapAmerica can no longer throw his shield in certain direction in the air). And with the few abilities that still have more than two variations nothing was gained from having the variations separated by punches and kicks. It's less intuitive.

This is not even thinking about how it makes the basic magic series just a little bit more complex, hurting scrubs like me ;_;

I prefer LMHS, but I'd guess there will actually be more special attack variety with for regular attack buttons rather tha three (S was rarely used for specials in Marvel 3).

I don't think the magic series is any more complex in this, it's still just four buttons in a specific order. Losing a dedicated launcher sucks but at least the launcher command itself is still universal.

The control scheme will feel natural after a couple weeks.

Zaverious

Art style got nothing to do with the casual friendly stuff. Legit Capcom's idea of making it more accessible was making you learn 2 characters instead of 3 and no more assists. That's it. Meanwhile they add all sorts of shit with the gems, counter tags that covers up the whole screen, advancing guard projectile reflect, instant tag combo locks, arguably more complex control scheme and some other stuff I'm forgetting. Just funny to me.

I'll get used to the control scheme. Just have to start thinking Street Fighter more than Marvel 3 when I play it. Kept playing like it was LMHS when in the story demo.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Look at it this way: where are Morrigan's Soul Fist variations? Marvel 3 had L = slow, M = fast, H = angled, S = special effect. Now? I dunno.

To not lose variations they'd have to go: LP = Slow, HP = Fast, LK = Angled, HK = Special effect to divide the straight forward fire ball and weird fireballs, but what about... say Ryu's Hadouken?

Ryu's Hadouken in Ultimate 3 went: L= Slow M= Medium H= Fast S= Special effect.

Now it'd be... ???? LP = Slow, LK = Medium, HP =Fast, HK = Special? That wouldn't make much sense. Neither would having the Fast Hadouken as a kick. It's just kinda wonky.

It's about gameplay.

Look at it this way: where are Morrigan's Soul Fist variations? Marvel 3 had L = slow, M = fast, H = angled, S = special effect. Now? I dunno.

To not lose variations they'd have to go: LP = Slow, HP = Fast, LK = Angled, HK = Special effect to divide the straight forward fire ball and weird fireballs, but what about... say Ryu's Hadouken?

Ryu's Hadouken in Ultimate 3 went: L= Slow M= Medium H= Fast S= Special effect.

Now it'd be... ???? LP = Slow, LK = Medium, HP =Fast, HK = Special? That wouldn't make much sense. Neither would having the Fast Hadouken as a kick. It's just kinda wonky.

Does anyone who has put time into IJ necessarily strongly dislike the "hold a direction during startup to change screen position/speed/etc" method? I always find it a smart idea in freeing up more space for moves without using more complex commands, since you can just do different moves per button instead of strengths/variations on different buttons for the same input, like Dante but still retaining multiple versions.

Obviously people would react negatively from a big change like that to what has been established and remained constant for 20 years across the whole catalog of a company, but I think that would just be a case of gamers being change resistant.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
I prefer LMHS, but I'd guess there will actually be more special attack variety with for regular attack buttons rather tha three (S was rarely used for specials in Marvel 3).

I don't think the magic series is any more complex in this, it's still just four buttons in a specific order. Losing a dedicated launcher sucks but at least the launcher command itself is still universal.

The control scheme will feel natural after a couple weeks.

Except, like I said, we're actually loosing attack variations! We tend to only get two, now, rather than three (and maybe four, sometimes).

And you underestimate how more complex it is to go from Square, Triangle, O then X to Square, X, Triangle, then down and O. It's a difference in feel on a pad. The first you go from left to right across the top and end at the bottom. The other has you start going down one side then suddenly jump up and back down the right while also using an additional directional input. Generally speaking it's harder to go from one button to another if they're across from one another, and the additional directional input will trip up lowly casuals.
They describe it as a "diamond shape" but what kind of diamond goes
AP6yoHS.png

?

And yeah, the controls will feel fine after one gets used to them. But it's still less intuitive, imo.

JeTmAn81

Except, like I said, we're actually loosing attack variations! We tend to only get two, now, rather than three (and maybe four, sometimes).

And you underestimate how more complex it is to go from Square, Triangle, O then X to Square, X, Triangle, then down and O. It's a difference in feel on a pad. The first you go from left to right across the top and end at the bottom. The other has you start going down one side then suddenly jump up and back down the right while also using an additional directional input. Generally speaking it's harder to go from one button to another if they're across from one another, and the additional directional input will trip up lowly casuals.

And yeah, the controls will feel fine after one gets used to them. But it's still less intuitive, imo.

I thought typical pad setup made it Square, X, O, down-Triangle. That should be exactly the same as LMHS but opposite direction and an additional down at the end. Seems simple enough.

Also casuals can just mash l.P for a full combo. I might actually use that for a little bit until I know combos.

DR2K

Banned

Those characters are an exception to the rule. That's not the case in MVCi, where over half the roster will have punch/kick buttons that don't perform that. It's counter intuitive.

Grimsen

The button layout is fine. It's a lot closer to mvc3 than mvc2, though. I kinda wish tapping light twice would give medium attacks.

And the typical chain order (lp-lk-hp-hk) still works, and you can add a launcher at the end. The launcher basically cancels any normal. The way it was described initially was misleading.

Skyridge

Neo Member
I just remembered something. Did Nova lose his "spending red life to make some moves better" mechanic? I could have sworn I saw him do his beam super and still having red life after it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I just remembered something. Did Nova lose his "spending red life to make some moves better" mechanic? I could have sworn I saw him do his beam super and still having red life after it.

yes thats gone

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
welp Marvel is full price at cdkeys now so I'm glad I pulled the trigger 2 days ago

Rhaknar

I wonder if they hit the certain numbers of sales so they decided to pull out the sales? I know final story trailer got many people hype outside of hardcore circle.

it was actually a fellow gaffer that told me a few days ago "if youre gonna buy from cdkeys you shouldnt wait too long because they tend to go full price closer to release" so I guess he was right

Jawmuncher

it was actually a fellow gaffer that told me a few days ago "if youre gonna buy from cdkeys you shouldnt wait too long because they tend to go full price closer to release" so I guess he was right

It does seem like the general rule is about 2-3 weeks out when they raise the price. I think they do the whole cheaper price thing to get people to preorder and give them money early. Can't complain though with how much of a discount they offer during that time.

Rhaknar

It does seem like the general rule is about 2-3 weeks out when they raise the price. I think they do the whole cheaper price thing to get people to preorder and give them money early. Can't complain though with how much of a discount they offer during that time.

youre not the fellow gaffer that gave me the heads up tho, because youre a dirty dinosaur lover. it was Nabs.

Seyavesh

he doesnt have grav pulse shield anyways so its kinda whatever

he also lost human rocket which is bullshit

Sesha

But you didn't even vote for Elsa in the poll! :(

How would I go about setting up a Moonstone and Elsa Bloodstone rally? :p

I mentioned Elsa because I knew Jaw found find her cool. Unfortunately she falls behind my girls. Monica is more important to me. My list of wanted characters is massive, and most of them have little chance of making it. After the three I listed I have Nico Minoru and Annihilus lined up.

Btw, read Nextwave. All ya'll should read Nextwave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom