• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite Characters and Stages Roster |DT2| oh dear...

Status
Not open for further replies.

patchday

I also think T7 earned a ton of good will upfront. I never felt like they held back content or doing something manipulative with their DLCs. I felt like Tekken devs have Arcade developer (old school) mentality where they try to include all content upfront

You can see where I'm going with this... So no need for me to type anymore.

Still buying this game btw. But I buy it at a discount to account for the content being held hostage behind DLC

MvC3 had some real stinker character endings and only a few decent ones. They were incredibly low effort. I'm not gonna miss them.

That said its nice to at least get some sense of completion. Guilty Gear Xrd used its arcade mode as a prequel for its story mode. They could've done something like that - see what characters were doing before the worlds collided and what they do right before Ultron Sigma becomes a threat. Might be a good way to show most characters not being "teamed up" yet since if the story demo is anything to go by, the game already starts in medias res. Like, have Iron Man show up like Nick Fury after the end of X's arcade mode and be like "hey buddy need your help" or something like that.
Yep, you're right.
It gives you an insight about what the characters were doing.
Missed opportunity then, GG is a good example of for an arcade mode.

Most of the character endings in UMvC3, especially the newcomers for UMvC3, were more or less just excuses to throw in as many cameos as possible. Nova makes the Mega Nova corps. Dr. Strange gets a magic council with crossover characters. Iron Fist forms Heroes for Hire with crossover characters. Hawkeye forms the West Coast Avengers with crossover characters. Firebrand has a bunch of crossover characters as underlings. Etc etc.

These were great though, would love these back.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Most of the character endings in UMvC3, especially the newcomers for UMvC3, were more or less just excuses to throw in as many cameos as possible. Nova makes the Mega Nova corps. Dr. Strange gets a magic council with crossover characters. Iron Fist forms Heroes for Hire with crossover characters. Hawkeye forms the West Coast Avengers with crossover characters. Firebrand has a bunch of crossover characters as underlings. Etc etc.

That was awesome. It's so much fun to figure out who were those characters in the endings. I wonder rumored arcade mode for SFV would come with the endings or not? 🤔

patchday

Just updated OP with new information. Here are some examples if anyone doesn't want to check out the OP! :p

ARBck5M.png

btthLKJ.png

yKtmX9l.png

uqflhso.png

Yes you should be commended on the OP it is great

Brand

Who's fair and balanced? You? You get to determine all of it?

That original post of yours came from an assertion that the negativity surrounding SFV had no meaning. All because it came from a supposed minority. But I'm pretty sure that group of people outnumber you.

Nah fam, read that chain again. Nowhere do I state that all of SFV's hate was not on Capcom ONLY. It's clear that Capcom brought it on themselves in regards to a lot of criticisms. That entire chain deal with the fact that homeboy thought that the entire FGC was against SFV, despite the fact that SFV draws in the most numbers consistently. Again, it's exaggerated and if it was reflective SFV wouldn't be alive. No need to suss out assertions when I've been very clear about this.

Look, this is how actual people work. There's no checklist. You reach a satisfactory level with the game and the rest becomes gravy. With the recent capcom fighting games, I guess you need a checklist. You need to reach for the few redeeming qualities they may very well have so you don't feel like you waste your money.

I state that.

I have no qualms with people being critical of Capcom for not doing their best. A developer always should, and after the lackluster effort with SFV, I always hope for a little more from them to make up for it. But when I see people giving other games a pass for bullshit, it makes me cringe. Like, gamers are the most inconsistent people. And it works both ways - I'm sure people will give this game a pass on the merits of the gameplay.

I mean this is the same as when people bring up Overwatch in these conversations. It's not a double standard. It means more people value FPS multiplayer and barely anyone plays fighting games.

No shit? It doesn't mean what Overwatch does comparatively to other FPSes or games is still right or okay.

Keeping consistency through genres/games/whatever isn't a requirement. I can't force anyone to feel a certain way. Humans do it all the time when it comes to products - giving passes based personal bias. But that doesn't improve products as a whole, that doesn't really make for good discussion, and that's still a thought process that's inherently skewed. It is what it is, but I'm calling it what it is.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Even when arcade endings have differentiated, but static win screens people complain that they didn't put effort into making animated endings for modes. SFxTK did that too and it was a colossal waste of effort considering you basically need to make a proper story mode anyways to get anything that doesn't use a ton of copy+pasted assets to cover any cast bigger than Skullgirls'.

Arcade Modes are the most basic thing to check off when making a fighting game but they've seemingly (but not recently) become another point of contention for value when nothing significant has really changed about them. It's just an odd multiplication of boxes that need to be checked out for the sake of internet arguments but are so minuscule and become quickly irrelevant as talking points outside of their presence after launch. I think I'm one of the few people that ever bothered doing all arcade endings in MvC3 and UMvC3. It's not something people grind out for 30 characters to get a jpeg anyways, unless there's more to it like MK's ladders. But even still, people in the MvC3 OT just found a gallery for all arcade endings and got what they wanted out of it.

I'm with TheSpoiler and Rhaknar on this one. It'd be nice, and a likely reason it's not there is because they put effort into a standalone story mode instead, but this is another example of dogpiling and making small shit in MvC:I the end of the world because you didn't get your X-Men or X-Man or Q-Bee in this game.

jett

D-Member
Crossplay for SF V was ass, every time I played someone who was on PC, weird shit would happen. So honestly I'm kind of glad there isn't any.

Huh? Works perfect for me. I never notice if I'm playing against a PC or a PS4 player. Makes no difference.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Why the hell does arcade mode need endings when you have a 2 hour story mode right over there?

MVC3: These picture book endings are wack! Where's our real story mode?!?!

MvCi: Lol, no picture book endings? Clearly no effort was put in this game! (*ignores massive story mode that they begged for*)

Y'all can't be serious.
Stop putting straw in my mouth, friend.

I never complained about the lack of story mode in MvC3, and never said they're was no effort put into this game. I like arcade endings to exist 'cause they give me a nice little sense of accomplishment, maybe a couple of cameos from characters that aren't in the roster, and some okay looking art.

If there's one thing I hated about, say, Soul Calibur V, was that lack. And we're going with whataboutisms, instead of going with Tekken which I'm pretty sure I've never mentioned or compared this game to because I've never played it, it's still not like it's either/or: MK9 (and presumably X, IJ, and IJ2) had both a fully fledged (and really good) story mode and really, non-canon endings that were mostly fun or whatever.

I like to have a story mode with a logical event structure and arcade mode with silly, illogical endings.

Jawmuncher

I still say the biggest issue is capcom wanting to be "AAA" without the budget to do so.
On a bigger product. You'd have your story mode and you'd have your arcade ending stills.
You wouldn't have any of this "Well we got this so we can't have this"

Though SFV shows the opposite end of that. While they didn't have an arcade mode.
You could tell the character story mode was rushed to all hell. Using bengus sketches since they didn't give him enough time/budget was a bad look.

vg260

I like to have a story mode with a logical event structure and arcade mode with silly, illogical endings.

Yeah, these have always been a staple, and even if it's a short 2-3 panel ending, it's still fun to see what they come up with and potentially see some other cameo characters pop up in a little "what if?" scenario. It's a nice little bonus reward for completing it. Story mode doesn't scratch the same itch, because they're tied to the official story mode, and don't have the freedom to play around as much with some fun scenarios.

I don't understand people claiming this isn't a negative regardless of story mode. This is a valid complaint for the game, whether you care for them or not. Yes, another one.

DR2K

Banned
The whattabout Tekken in this thread is pretty bad. From what I'm gathering, outside of fighting game enthusiast circles, the game is being compared the most to Injustice 2, one of the highest selling video games of the year, and another superhero related game of the same genre. Reaching for Tekken, a game that isn't even the genre leader, as a justification for MvCI's shortcomings?

How does that make sense?

What are you guys going to do next? Whattabout KOF14 in response to this game being ugly?

The whataboutism doesn't even apply to Tekken 7 as it had individual stories on top of a big story mode. This is on top of a robust customization, looking phenomenal(on the same engine), with many more new characters, many more stages, etc... just comparing MVCi to Tekken 7 is a fucking joke, and yes Tekken 7 has its flaws.

MVCi has some great potential gameplay wise, but it's cratering everywhere else.

The whataboutism doesn't even apply to Tekken 7 as it had individual stories on top of a big story mode. This is on top of a robust customization, looking phenomenal(on the same engine), with many more new characters, many more stages, etc... just comparing MVCi to Tekken 7 is a fucking joke, and yes Tekken 7 has its flaws.

MVCi has some great potential gameplay wise, but it's cratering everywhere else.
Tekken 7 had an arcade release and took years to get to consoles. That's plenty of time to add more modes, especially when core gameplay was already developed.

Yeah, these have always been a staple, and even if it's a short 2-3 panel ending, it's still fun to see what they come up with and potentially see some other cameo characters pop up in a little "what if?" scenario. It's a nice little bonus reward for completing it. Story mode doesn't scratch the same itch, because they're tied to the official story mode, and don't have the freedom to play around as much with some fun scenarios.

I don't understand people claiming this isn't a negative regardless of story mode. This is a valid complaint for the game, whether you care for them or not. Yes, another one.

Exactly. I liked seeing the cameos of characters that were never going to be in a MvC game.

kewlmyc

Yeah GG Xrd / Blazblue does it right

Tekken 7 I never even thought bout Arcade mode even once. T7 has treasure battles which drown players in loot. Much rather get rewards then some forgettable arcade ending (just me). Not to mention maybe Tekken 7 online is very approachable at least on the surface? Due to lack of zoning. Unlike most fighters T7 doesnt go out of its way to let you know you suck. It shows your wins in Casual modes (not losses). T7 gets a lot of little details right. In other fighters, they love to show your win rate which I think depresses casuals when they see they won 1/10 matches

All that said, GG Xrd/BB raised the bar for me when it comes to arcade endings since they are actually integrated into story mode. NRS games the arcade endings have always felt like Canon. But still it's appreciated when it's there.

tl;dr - Towers are great when added but they add no impact at all if not integrated into main story. If they are just canon endings, then you can trick me into never missing them if provided with other fun offline/online content

Eh, not understanding what is going on in the story mode because you haven't played each character's arcade mode through the end has always been the worst part of the Xrd story modes.

So, who was it that said "if you don't support mvci you're not part of the fgc"?

Logan Sama?

Your auto-Capcom-hate is clouding your memory.

1. It wasn't Logan, it was Floe.

2. He didn't say "if you don't support MvCi..."

He said IF YOU WANT MVCI TO FAIL, YOU AREN'T PART OF THE FGC. And, he was 1000% right.

https://clips.twitch.tv/IncredulousPreciousFriesHeyGuys

I can't believe no one corrected this misinformation. (I'm lying, I'm totally not surprised considering the tone of this thread.)

That sounds like something that cretin would say.

Wanting games to fail because you don't like them is cretin behavior. That was Floe's point.

MVCi is mostly made of content completed years ago.

I guess Tekken 7 is also mostly made of content completed years...no, DECADES ago, then. Yet, no one seems to mind at all.
THAT'S why people in this thread keep saying "what about Tekken 7"? Because the treatment of the games is hypocritical to the point that the criticisms don't feel authentic.

BTW, Blazeblue, DOA5...and many other fighting games reuse animations. MvCi didn't invent this.

Can't some stuff just suck a little instead of being the next doombringer? There's a spectrum yall. Oi.

This game needs to come out already so you cats can play it.

Jawmuncher

I understand why people give capcom so much flak. Hell im not even against it despite buying practically every game they release. People expect a lot more out of capcom so the only way to hammer that home is by being critical. Yeah sometimes it goes to absurd levels and the jokes pile on but that sort of stuff does get to them.

I completely stand by that none of the faces had been fixed had people not roasted on them. It's possible that maybe MVC:I might not have had a arcade mode if not for the SFV backlash.

Capcom is my favorite developer but they do dumb shit all the time more so than a lot of other Japanese company's and they have no one to blame but themselves. There wouldn't be "hate squads" if they just put out the things people wanted. Even then it's not a big deal since capcom on the fighting side of things always manages to be a Evo tent pole even when sales aren't reaching expectations.

Dahbomb

Honestly some of the people shitting on this game have been shitting on Marvel 3 for years now when now most people are seeing Marvel 3 for the true high quality game it actually was. It's the best Capcom fighting game made in the past decade for my money.

This game is going to be worse than Marvel 3 in terms of presentation but I think overall it will be fine. Not mind blowingly good but not trash either.

Can't some stuff just suck a little instead of being the next doombringer? There's a spectrum yall. Oi.

This game needs to come out already so you cats can play it.

No this is the internet.

It's either the best thing of all time and if you cast the slightest shade on it then fuck you

or it's the absolute worst thing of all time, a slap in the face to all the fans and if you think anything positive about it then fuck you

mbpm1

Your auto-Capcom-hate is clouding your memory.

1. It wasn't Logan, it was Floe.

2. He didn't say "if you don't support MvCi..."

He said IF YOU WANT MVCI TO FAIL, YOU AREN'T PART OF THE FGC. And, he was 1000% right.

https://clips.twitch.tv/IncredulousPreciousFriesHeyGuys

I can't believe no one corrected this misinformation. (I'm lying, I'm totally not surprised considering the tone of this thread.)

Wanting games to fail because you don't like them is cretin behavior. That was Floe's point.

I guess Tekken 7 is also mostly made of content completed years...no, DECADES ago, then. Yet, no one seems to mind at all.
THAT'S why people in this thread keep saying "what about Tekken 7"? Because the treatment of the games is hypocritical to the point that the criticisms don't feel authentic.

BTW, Blazeblue, DOA5...and many other fighting games reuse animations. MvCi didn't invent this.
Who cares

Blueblur1

Dude, come on. You're everywhere online so you have to be aware of all the garbage Larry "Logan Sama" Sanders spews on the internet. He calls people 'autists' and says shit like 'anime players swallow their own semen'. Fuck that guy and fuck Capcom UK for keeping his ass around.

Next you'll be telling me MvC2 used sprites, animations and move-sets from other games!

The gameplay looks really fun but the asset reuse has soured me a lot on the game. It wouldn't be as bad if they didn't have 6 planned DLC characters who are all new. If they were in the base game it would be a no brainer. Heck, if the choices from UMVC3 were better it would have been a no brainer for me.

I am hella salty Arcade has no endings because it's one of my fav modes to play. I enjoyed seeing cameos in MVC3 and TVC whenever I completed them.

Is this a deal-breaker for me? No. That doesn't change the fact that it'd be yet another half-assed approach. If this ends up being true, Arcade is a mode I'd probably play like once or twice before avoiding it completely.

Mission Mode has 10 challenges like MVC3 and there's no mention of another mode. I guess the cinematic story is where the "content rich" part of the game lies.

Jawmuncher

I am hella salty Arcade has no endings because it's one of my fav modes to play. I enjoyed seeing cameos in MVC3 and TVC whenever I completed them.

Is this a deal-breaker for me? No. That doesn't change the fact that it'd be yet another half-assed approach. If this ends up being true, Arcade is a mode I'd probably play like once or twice before avoiding it completely.

Mission Mode has 10 challenges like MVC3 and there's no mention of another mode. I guess the cinematic story is where the "content rich" part of the game lies.

Yeah content wise, its looking like it's still not even coming close to Injustice 2. Which is just kinda par for the course with their budget. However I do think a decent trophy list of sorts would help somewhat.
Have a good chunk of the trophies be like "beat story mode" "finish a match with Jedahs level 3". Stuff like that is small things but it can have casual - medium players playing a bit longer than stuff like "get 100 snap backs" and other grinding style trophies.

That was partly why I had a lot of fun with Injustice 2. Story mode was only like 4 hours but the trophies gave me some extra meat (since I wasn't interested in playing online).

Though looking at like every capcom fighter. Their trophy lists are always really hardcore outside some digital reteleases. Tekken 7 also had a nice trophy list as well.

It does seem like we know at least one trophy which seems to probably be something like "play 5 local matches" or something

That's exactly why having no endings would be lame. Between that and the lack of Japanese voices, I find it difficult to not be disappointed.

Yeah, a trophy leak would be nice right now.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Less than a month to the release date, I think it should be Gold by this time

The version of the game Max and the press played is most likely the final build, given the CSS options, the number of stages and the fact that others got to play extended portions of the story mode and arcade.

So anyone expecting them to add endings to arcade or for Ghost Rider's penance stare to be more than a stare or whatever it is that people are saying will be 'fixed' in the final version are going to be disappointed.

Jawmuncher

The version of the game Max and the press played is most likely the final build, given the CSS options, the number of stages and the fact that others got to play extended portions of the story mode and arcade.

So anyone expecting them to add endings to arcade or for Ghost Rider's penance stare to be more than a stare are going to be disappointed.
Well the ghost rider thing they could fix with a patch (if it wasn't already a glitch). But yeah endings more than likely aren't happening for arcade

Ryce

I'm guessing the final boss is Ultron Omega from the .zip leak -- a Galactus-sized Ultron Sigma that you fight from the waist up.

JeTmAn81

Other issues aside, MVCI looks and feels like a Marvel game. I can't say exactly what makes that such a distinctive thing, but it's there. Maybe it's the hit sparks, or the speed of movement. But it feels like a genuine MVC game in a way that homages like Skullgirls don't. You won't get that kind of gameplay anywhere else.

patchday

Eh, not understanding what is going on in the story mode because you haven't played each character's arcade mode through the end has always been the worst part of the Xrd story modes.

Having completed the character prologues + story I'd argue the story won't make complete sense because it's Guilty Gear/BlazBlue. This is something most people agree on. The stories are meant to be crazy and pretty outrageous

Doesn't change the fact it's a fairly good idea to tie in arcade mode with the overall story. Although Cannon stories are better than nothing

Either way I'm more concerned about online play which has not been addressed for me yet unless I am missing something

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom