• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite - Story Trailer 3 [Up: Final roster is 30 characters]

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
It's been brought to my attention that that image may not properly represent the "newness" of the characters since Thanos is mostly made from scratch, so here's a slightly updated version:

mostly?

Shadoken

Its kinda weird seeing Street Fighter and DMC become jobbers in the story mode plot while smaller IPs like Megaman , Strider and Darkstalkers seem to be more relevant.

Oh well maybe if this game ever gets a S2 story mode with Xmen and other character they might get more attention.

FSLink

Banned
Injustice 2 launched with 15 series newcomers. MvCI is only launching with 5. I get the impression that Capcom is holding new characters back so they can nickel-and-dime us, which I don't get from NRS and Injustice 2.

I guess it's because Injustice 2 tries to nickle and dime you in other places (cubes and skins baby!). It just feels much worse in this instance because the roster is so tiny and disappointing that even I can go look at the roster and go "Capcom why didn't you recycle more from 3?"

No good reason to not have Vergil, Phoenix Wright, Wesker outside of trying to sell them as DLC them later.

WCnEEAO.png

So 6 less characters than Marvel vs. Capcom 3, and only 6 new ones?

I mean, Capcom, who else will you have to blame when this doesn't sell well?

Capcom will probably blame Capcom USA and stop making fighting games for a decade or so. The Street Fighter brand will probably move over to being merch only like Okami which is pretty much an IP to sell plushies at this point.

Kouichi

Wow the story actually looks like a lot of fun. I'm really excited for it now.

Too bad about the roster though. I was still holding onto hope for Venom/Hunter, but I already accepted this possibility a while ago. Looks like I'll be going Spencer/Spider-man at launch.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Capcom will probably blame Capcom USA and stop making fighting games for a decade or so. The Street Fighter brand will probably move over to being merch only like Okami which is pretty much an IP to sell plushies at this point.

Which reminds me, I'm going to buy myself one of those Chibiterasu plush dolls.

LordKano

I'm still not over the fact that this is coming six years after Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 and it only has five new characters.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
The SFV model is probably too high quality for this game. This game needs to have 4 characters models loaded at the same time, more for some if they have assists like Ultron.

4 character models at the same time oh no! They might break the engine if they put in too much effort.

DVCY201

Ugh, definitely not as exciting as MvC3. It looks like most of the interesting characters will be DLC. So, time to wait for a price drop on both

Neoxon

The SFV model is probably too high quality for this game. This game needs to have 4 characters models loaded at the same time, more for some if they have assists like Ultron.
There's also the fact that SFV's art style completely clashes with MvCI's.

shaowebb

I guess it's because Injustice 2 tries to nickle and dime you in other places (cubes and skins baby!). It just feels much worse in this instance because the roster is so tiny and disappointing that even I can go look at the roster and go "Capcom why didn't you recycle more from 3?"

No good reason to not have Vergil, Phoenix Wright, Wesker outside of trying to sell them as DLC them later.

True on all counts. Injustice had a much higher new content ratio than MVCI. It even had a loot system that guaranteed collectibles and customization options on the daily and leveling up stuff for casuals to see a major longterm value in the purchase. Just a lot of new things to enjoy between the ratio of new playables, and loot. Plus they're storymode was presented solidly from start to finish with MVCI largely coming across poor after the Demo and only just now throwing out a trailer that made story seem deeper than fan nods and fluff.

Problem with MVCI using recycled content is that if the game got greenlighted because it could be supplemented by 4/5th of its base roster being recycled from UMVC3 why so many notable absences like Vergil, Wesker, or any of the other Capcom guys? I know Marvel may have had some issues with some recycling on the Marvel side being possible but why so many notable Capcom gaps?

Just feels like they recycled but left the best parts behind for quick cheap to implement DLC money later. After all if Vergil or Wesker went up as DLC its a guaranteed seller with next to no effort...even if it bold faced shows they did it that way just to milk more money. They're a business first. Can't blame them for trying to pay the bills and keep people's jobs with all the trouble they've had in recent years, but if they wanna change things around for the better I think tactics that generate quick revenue but harm your image to the public is a very short sighted and stopgap solution that eventually runs dry as folks just stop buying the games at launch .

God I want Capcom to do better. I miss them always pushing the margins of quality and being on top. This genre has had a lot of solid progress in the past decade and it just feels like Capcom has taken too many shortcuts without realizing its not good for long term business to hurt your rep like that. Especially with so many new competitors and old ones in the market stepping up and pushing the boundaries forward in terms of graphics and new systems. They have the best IP and some of the cheapest approaches to using them anymore sadly and its leading them to under performing sales on what should be top of the industry IP.

I wish they'd just get bought out and given budgets with reasonable dev cycles. It did wonders for Midway. They went from waaaaaaaaaay worse than Capcom is now to the absolute most profitable force in fighting games. I miss Capcom products getting handled right. :(

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
As soon as I saw Dr. Light, the lightbulb flashed above my head for a Dr. Light character similar to that of Pokemon Trainer in Smash Bros Brawl. Instead of 3 Pokemon, Light would control 3 of the robot masters he created (Cutman, Gutsman and Iceman mayhaps?) and be able to switch between the three of them.

I doubt he'll make an appearance besides story mode cutscenes, but even that cameo makes me really happy.

That would definitely be interesting! I'd just be OK if he appeared During Mega's X Armor sequences or something.

I also wish Command Missions X gets some changes to make him stand out from his series. Whether that be as small as changing some of his move colors and looks, or as massive as having ComMisX characters show up on his victory screen or in his LvL 3. "FINAL STRIKE!"

I must admit, I found it funny to watch Dr. Light clinch his fist while speaking on defeating villains. You never really see him do anything like that in the games. He's just a disembodied tech-ghost projection. He never has much agency, he's just a nostalgic plot device. Here he's ordering around the Avengers and Dante.

Kashiwaba

I2's base roster had a much better new/old ratio, so it didn't feel as much like the base roster was being shorted with requested newcomers for DLC.

Injustice 2 launched with 15 series newcomers. MvCI is only launching with 5. I get the impression that Capcom is holding new characters back so they can nickel-and-dime us, which I don't get from NRS and Injustice 2.

No offense here but now newcomers are what matters the most?? Didn't everyone bash Capcom and complained when they announced SFV s2 was all newcomers? Sometimes people just try to nitpick things in order to complain. I totally agree the game roster leaves a lot to be desired but not because of the lack of newcomers but because of the lack of some key characters such as Xmen characters, Deadpool, tron bonn (and her minions).....etc.

JayEH

No offense here but now newcomers are what matters the most?? Didn't everyone bash Capcom and complained when they announced SFV s2 was all newcomers? Sometimes people just try to nitpick things in order to complain. I totally agree the game roster leaves a lot to be desired but not because of the lack of newcomers but because of the lack of some key characters such as Xmen characters, Deadpool, tron bonn (and her minions).....etc.

this is an all star cross over game so people want to see new things. different situation from SF.

Platy

What pisses me off so much is that it seems that the roster was choosen ONLY because of the story mode.

Having someone to pair with Spidey is the ONLY explanation of favoring Spencer over Phoenix or Amaterasu

Lulubop

What pisses me off so much is that it seems that the roster was choosen ONLY because of the story mode.

Having someone to pair with Spidey is the ONLY explanation of favoring Spencer over Phoenix or Amaterasu

he's paired with frank west tho

PSqueak

Banned
No offense here but now newcomers are what matters the most?? Didn't everyone bash Capcom and complained when they announced SFV s2 was all newcomers? .

It's not just newcomers, it's also roster size, most people expect from a sequel to have a roster comparable with their predecesor and then some more, so both this games having tiny rosters at launch compared to their predecessors rustles people jimmies no matter what way, people want from their sequels both a lot of veterans and a lot of new comers, make a game with a tiny roster with too much of one and people will bitch.

RedBoot

Thanos' still based on the old MSH version, technically. Some of his moves are the same. They didn't conceptualize his move set completely from scratch. Still, he's practically new, so he gets highlighted!

Thanos is basically as "new" as Jedah. Both existed in earlier fighting games, but didn't have a 3D model or animations that could be reused or reworked like the MvC3 characters. I think it's okay to count him as new, same would go for Venom if he pops up eventually.

(Now, whether Venom is "new" enough to be in the presumably new to MvC DLC pack is another debate)

Jawmuncher

SFV Season 2 isn't comparable to MVCI.

Think about it. Newcomers in a MVC game are already established characters from other brands. So wanting newcomers so you get stuff like Daredevil, Ms Marvel, Jack Baker, or Nilin is quite different than The Who knows what the he'll capcom will pull out of their bag newcomers of SFV.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

Newcomers in SFV are nobodies with unproven track records.

Newcomers in MvCI are established characters from comics and games with established fanbases.

Context matters.

If that was true then fucking Wesker would have been in.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Thanos is basically as "new" as Jedah. Both existed in earlier fighting games, but didn't have a 3D model or animations that could be reused or reworked like the MvC3 characters. I think it's okay to count him as new, same would go for Venom if he pops up eventually.

(Now, whether Venom is "new" enough to be in the presumably new to MvC DLC pack is another debate)

Thanos has been in a previous Marvel vs. Capcom game tho. Jedah hasn't.

People complaining about recycled characters should bear in mind that MVC2 was almost all recycled sprites. MVC3 being the first 3D one means new assets, but what is happening here is not unprecedented. Actually this game has more new assets compared to previous marvels and MVC2.

Most likely already stated, but bears repeating.

RedBoot

Thanos has been in a previous Marvel vs. Capcom game tho. Jedah hasn't.

Right, but that doesn't really mean anything from a development standpoint. You're not reusing any game assets from MvC2 Thanos or DS3 Jedah. You have the characters from a conceptual/design standpoint (what do Jedah's normals look like, etc), but you're creating all your art assets, 3D models, animations, etc, from scratch.

DrArchon

People complaining about recycled characters should bear in mind that MVC2 was almost all recycled sprites. MVC3 being the first 3D one means new assets, but what is happening here is not unprecedented. Actually this game has more new assets compared to previous marvels and MVC2.

Considering that MvC2 was basically Mugen, I won't be considering MvCI having more new assets compared to it a big accomplishment.

Neonep

The problem is the amount of characters, if you are going to reuse assets to that extent then they should have just brought over everybody if that's the case. MVC2 was that.

Bronetta

So we should continue to lower our expectations to avoid disappointment?

Gotcha.

MVC2 had reused characters because it was the culmination of the annual VS/Marvel games up to that point and basically mashed everyone all together in one big dream match.

This game is starting from scratch over 6 years after MVC3 and yet the roster is basically MVC3's cut in half with two major franchises gutted, only a handful of newcomers sprinkled on top of that, and everyone looks worse.

Going "but X game did this too" is a shallow argument when the context is entirely different.

Chun-Li's face is a definite improvement over the old one.
Of course the general proportions of the whole character were off but this is much easier to swallow. Now she's "slightly low quality and slightly off-model Chun-Li" as opposed to "complete trainwreck Chun-Li"

ev0

Captain America and thor are not designed acording to MCU, Whyy? :(

To sell you that skin.
I'm convinced half of the reason Chris is still RE5 Chris (aside from "easy" port) is to sell people his current looks in skins.

Part of me just hopes the RE5 Chris model can be this generations Morrigan sprite.

Honestly, I have this on preorder from Amazon but I'm going to cancel it. That story mode trailer is rough. The mo cap looks bad and a lot of character models aren't good. Now we all know story mode isn't the meat of the product, however it definitely took away from the games budget. The full roster is certainly lacking. I need more. Marvel vs Capcom 2 set a precedent. Mvc3 tried really hard to keep up and was a solid effort. I feel like infinite isn't trying hard enough. I'll wait for all the dlc, and get ultimate MVC Infinite someday. At launch though? I'm really not feeling it.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Right, but that doesn't really mean anything from a development standpoint. You're not reusing any game assets from MvC2 Thanos or DS3 Jedah. You have the characters from a conceptual/design standpoint (what do Jedah's normals look like, etc), but you're creating all your art assets, 3D models, animations, etc, from scratch.
I never said anything about development.

Considering that MvC2 was basically Mugen, I won't be considering MvCI having more new assets compared to it a big accomplishment.

Yet, MVC2 is/was quite beloved when it came out.

The problem is the amount of characters, if you are going to reuse assets to that extent then they should have just brought over everybody if that's the case. MVC2 was that.

MVC2, as noted above, was basically a more proficient MUGEN. At least here they are taking into consideration movesets, and the mechanics of the characters/game when choosing who's in the roster.

So we should continue to lower our expectations to avoid disappointment?

Gotcha.

There's a thing about expectations, and then there's perspective. There's precedent for this. Not the first time. Capcom (especially the VS series) has been recycling sprites for over 20 years now. Is like going to Mc Donalds, and then complaining that you didn't get restaurant quality food.

Moaradin

People that haven't suffered through SFV's story mode have no idea how much better this thing looks on every level.

SFV actually has one of the better cinematic story modes lol. At least it knew what it was. It was silly, goofy, and had fun with itself. Tekken 7 for example had a far worse story mode.

Bronetta

There's a thing about expectations, and then there's perspective. There's precedent for this. Not the first time. Capcom (especially the VS series) has been recycling sprites for over 20 years now. Is like going to Mc Donalds, and then complaining that you didn't get restaurant quality food.

Last time I went to McDonald's I got a higher base roster, like 15 newcomers, an amazing artstyle and one of the hypest PR cycle ever for a fighting game.

If ur gonna give me that recycling line then why is MvCI launched with fewer characters than MvC3?

Dahbomb

This roster seems laughable compared to Injustice 2 and likely DBFZ
The roster is laughable even compared to Vanilla Marvel 3. And that game was made almost all from scratch, this wasn't.

The restaurant analogy is awful. Marvel Infinite falls well under the expectations set by the previous game in the series.

Top Bottom