• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite - Story Trailer 3 [Up: Final roster is 30 characters]

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
However, the character of the game isn’t quite where it needs to be, and I’m hoping the rest of the story mode will live up the promise of what a crossover like this should be come November.

November?

Game would be out next month, we should get two DLC characters per month for last theee months of this year.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Chun Liooks better. She looks like "Classic Chun Li in this style", whereas before, she looked like Chun's cosplayer that was picked out of an FGC convention line, and decided to run with it.

30 characters flat, eh? If Capcom is going to continually double-down on DLC being the meat of the "fresh" content in their games, I really wish they'd start trying to make the DLC seem friendlier. It's just like their business side and their "for the fans!" sides don't know how to unify on anything, which makes all elements just look greedy, and lacking in understanding.

At any rate, the story looks like the kinda stuff my friends and I would have fantasized about when playing MVC2 on DC, so can't hate on that. It actually does feel good to see Meio and Dr. Light given models and voice work that'll probably (so far) ONLY get used in 1 mode. THAT in itself feels somewhat like premium treatment.

This trailer came out a bit earlier than I expected, so I'm hopeful for the stuff that'll come with the follow-up gameplay materials soon. At it's basics, I like MVCI more than a grew to like UMVC3. So it's definitely the gameplay that's calling me the most ATM.

jett

D-Member
MSHvsSF had a few characters new to the VERSUS series. Plus it's not fair to compare 90s Versus games to today. When the technology and expectations are different.

blazbluecrossover_5F00_610.jpg

thinkingemoji

If a fighting game made today is capable of cutting corners, they will. Outside of Netherrealms, none of them are big sellers. It's unfortunate, but that's reality.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I love that they are shoving this story mode down everyone's throats every trailer. Fuck gameplay here's more story mode. Story mode is where the characters all look pretty bad though, they look fine in gameplay.

Roster is fine, if it were bigger they could experiment with wild card choices but they have pretty much all the mandatory characters taking up the majority of the slots. Not having someone like Captain America, Iron Man, Ryu or Spider-Man in the base roster would be more ridiculous.

If the negative reception keeps up to release I should be able to pick this up for $10 - $20 a week after release.

I remember that brief $9.99 SFV pricing on Amazon around launch. Believe!

Just watched the trailer. That Robert Downey Jr impersonator was pretty fucking good.

one of my only positive thoughts from watching this lol

I really really want to get hyped about this but I just can't.
Both graphics and roster feel like a step back from its 6 year old predecessor.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Is that for realz? Like just 5 new characters? (Im talkin' about the base roster)
I guess they put all the budget on the Single Player campaign.
It's been brought to my attention that that image may not properly represent the "newness" of the characters since Thanos is mostly made from scratch, so here's a slightly updated version:
WCnEEAO.png

But yes, 5 "brand new" characters and one character that had never been converted to 3D before. Only two of those are on Capcom's side.

That's Eric Loomis, Iron Man's EMH VA.

Still Iron Man's best VA.

mas8705

Just watched the trailer. That Robert Downey Jr impersonator was pretty fucking good.

Checked IMDB, and that would be Eric Loomis: The guy who has been doing the Iron man voice for seven years now.

Ironically, he did the voice in the Iron Man 2 videogame, and then would do be Ironman in MvC3 the following year (and then got to continue doing the voice during the Avengers run on Disney XD).

Glad to know that he got to reprise his role after all these years in both medias of games and animation.

Neoxon

Checked IMDB, and that would be Eric Loomis: The guy who has been doing the Iron man voice for seven years now.

Ironically, he did the voice in the Iron Man 2 videogame, and then would do be Ironman in MvC3 the following year (and then got to continue doing the voice during the Avengers run on Disney XD).

Glad to know that he got to reprise his role after all these years in both medias of games and animation.
Eric Loomis doesn't voice Iron Man in Avengers Assemble.

They could have just taken the SFV model, but I guess this is acceptable.

The SFV model is probably too high quality for this game. This game needs to have 4 characters models loaded at the same time, more for some if they have assists like Ultron.

Disappointing roster aside, that story trailer did nothing interesting for me.

If anything it made me even more "meh" on the story, cause judging by the story bits that they've shown so far, Dante will just be a chump in the background that doesn't do/say anything interesting and just gets his ass kicked every once in a while.

I wish instead of Dante they had Vergil in the roster. At least he would've been able to kick some ass as a villain.

Damn, I want to buy this game but I just can't justify supporting such a lackluster roster. Hopefully we get Ultimate MvC: I in six months like last generation.

Neoxon

Damn, I want to buy this game but I just can't justify supporting such a lackluster roster. Hopefully we get Ultimate MvC: I in six months like last generation.
Given their esports push, seasons of DLC are more likely to prevent splitting the player base.

shaowebb

Meh, they didn't have Android 17 so that makes that whole reveal as exciting as watching a Wonderbook E3 presentation.

VA confirmed lines were recorded for 17 and its ASW...the amount of effort to make a model using their cel shading approach is ridiculous to do without intention of making that model playable. Given 17 has debuted 3 new attacks in super I'd say he's probably gonna be revealed later if for no other reason than to incorporate his new "signature" stuff that was added to him. 18 hasn't done anything new save one thing with Krillin as a team move so yeah go ahead and shove her in if you dont need to worry about missing anything iconic they gave her recently.

I'd say Android 17 will happen soon.
It's a lot easier to design new characters when they all have the same proportions, same faces and same big beam powers. Stay redundant, Dragon Ball.
Oh its a given Toriyama abuses same face heavily but if you think for a second making a model in the ASW Guilty Gear manner is easier by any means then your either insane or just haven't seen the details on how hard it is to do what they are doing. It aint your standard approach to creating a cel shaded look. Its pretty much a shitload of work more than normal 3d or 2d to do this stuff how they do it.

SSB Goku and SSB Vegeta are definitely a quick way to get new cast off existing materials to a point but given how much frame by frame squash and stretch and frame by frame shader work they do for their models its still a decent amount to incorporate them. Plus I seriously doubt they're gonna be "Bone Claw Wolverine" recycled levels of gameplay. Plus if you think SSB Goku and SSB Vegeta will just be like their counterparts then you may as well claim Cammy and Decapre play exactly alike. Ditto for the rest of this games cast.

For that matter the utility of big beam attacks is definitely different in this game per character so no redundancy there. Gohan's is diagonal, Goku's teleports behind you, Cell's is horizontal, and Even Frieza's orb is a giant jumping diagonal shot that then trails the ground. All work differently and require different strats to deal with.

But hey...see what you wanna see. Just because the special effects in DBZ aren't gonna be wildly different per energy attack like the differences between Repulsor beam and Unibeam in visuals because of staying true to the animation style doesn't mean its the same even remotely during game.

I don't doubt the final MVC:I roster could be more exciting, especially when comparing it to the total scope of characters in MVC2 or UMVC3, but I still enjoy playing the vs. games from the 90's and their rosters were certainly worse than this.

Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter featured 0 original characters and MVC1 featured 4 new characters and 2 female characters total, and both of those games are still fun to play today.

Yup yup. Agreed on all points. MVCI will be fun as fuck...it just really needed more new faces and more model/shader work. It got left behind DBFZ in announcements today in my eyes because it just doesn't look as polished and all of their announcements are new things. Granted they are a new but having to build from the ground up with nothing to use as a base they have already surpassed MVCI in terms of new characters built for their game as well as achieving far better cinematics and graphics. Plus they have party mode.

I'll enjoy Marvel vs Capcom Infinite because as you said its fun as fuck to play but Dragonball Fighter Z is far more impressive and exciting with how its being handled in both reveals and workmanship so far.
If you consider Thanos and Jedah to be "new", then the base 30-character roster of MVC:I features 6 new characters and once the first batch of DLC releases, that will be 11 new characters. Outside of vanilla MVC3, this is the biggest addition of "new" characters from any MVC game.

Whether or not you like their character choices is subjective, but this game will be in 2nd place for most new characters of any game in the series, and may strike 1st with DLC over time.
Then they should have waited IMO to reveal it and release it. If this was coming out next fall instead of this fall I think it would be a much better game for it. They could incorporate more new cast at launch and avoid all this backlash of being a recycled game, polish the graphics, and in general come across better to fans. As is, it more or less translates that they completely rehashed the fight system by abandoning the 3v3 and assists people adored just to be able to use a recycled roster and have it play like a new game than for any other reason. Now THAT is staying redundant.

Same as SFV...its exciting to get a sequel but having to stick with a fighter for years until it finally feels like it finishes developing what should have been there at launch is not good for the perception of a company at market.

I'll play MVCI because it does look fun, but its a tossup if it'll stay fresh enough for me long enough to last through the dlc cycle given how long that can take. I wish this game wasn't getting announced till this years EVO so it could cook longer. At least it'll translate better in value to folks than SFV given its actually releasing with modes and a decent sized roster even if it is 4/5ths the same folks and moves from a 7 year old game.

At least I got some good looking new cast out of the few put in the base roster though. Can't wait to make teams out of X and Ultron.

Jay RaR

Guess Modok's a boss or a cheerleader in this game huh.
Really stings that he isn't playable.
It's also easy for me to pick a team of 2 this time around as only 2 of my mains from UMVC3 are coming back. sigh

Kashiwaba

Why is everyone acting like Capcom dlc model is something new? It's basically the same as IJ2 and T7 and i could swear few weeks ago everyone here was complaining about SFV model and praising the shit out of Injustice 2 dlc model.

shaowebb

Guess Modok's a boss or a cheerleader in this game huh.
Really stings that he isn't playable.
It's also easy for me to pick a team of 2 this time around as only 2 of my mains from UMVC3 are coming back. sigh

Give it time. I bet Modok makes a return. He's modeled, and in already so he's not a licensing issue apparently. He'd be a good guy to have in this tag system.

Why is everyone acting like Capcom dlc model is something new? It's basically the same as IJ2 and T7 and i could swear few weeks ago everyone here was complaining about SFV model and praising the shit out of Injustice 2 dlc model.

That person was running on the assumption that waiting for a GOTY is viable for everyone.

I think everyone should do in-game currency for unlocks. Gundam Versus already has like 6 DLC characters IIRC and they are 5 bucks each.

Zero-ELEC

Banned

You assume the people complaining about this model are the same complaining about the other. A website is comprised of many different people with different opinions.

vg260

I2's base roster had a much better new/old ratio, so it didn't feel as much like the base roster was being shorted with requested newcomers for DLC.

Alienous

WCnEEAO.png

So 6 less characters than Marvel vs. Capcom 3, and only 6 new ones?

I mean, Capcom, who else will you have to blame when this doesn't sell well?

It actually does feel good to see Meio and Dr. Light given models and voice work that'll probably (so far) ONLY get used in 1 mode. THAT in itself feels somewhat like premium treatment.

As soon as I saw Dr. Light, the lightbulb flashed above my head for a Dr. Light character similar to that of Pokemon Trainer in Smash Bros Brawl. Instead of 3 Pokemon, Light would control 3 of the robot masters he created (Cutman, Gutsman and Iceman mayhaps?) and be able to switch between the three of them.

I doubt he'll make an appearance besides story mode cutscenes, but even that cameo makes me really happy.

JayEH

WCnEEAO.png

So 6 less characters than Marvel vs. Capcom 3, and only 6 new ones?

I mean, Capcom, who else will you have to blame when this doesn't sell well?

they'll say the fighting game market is too crowded, marvel movie fatigue, etc. Anything but themselves.

Ryce

Injustice 2 launched with 15 series newcomers. MvCI is only launching with 5. I get the impression that Capcom is holding new characters back so they can nickel-and-dime us, which I don't get from NRS and Injustice 2.

Top Bottom