• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom Origins |OT|

Tizoc

FHjRy.jpg

Introduction
Marvel vs. Capcom Origins is a PSN & XBL release of 2 classic CPS2 fighting games: Marvel vs. Capcom & Marvel Super Heroes. The games feature the usual modes one would find in a regular fighting game released today (Versus, Online, Gallery, etc.), and will be sold for $15 (and MS Points equivalent). Furthermore, the collection will feature a Gallery mode.
The game will be released on 25-26 September.

Marvel Super Heroes
6w19w.jpg

DegND.png

Release dates: 1995 for Arcades, 1997 for PSX & Saturn

The 2nd entry in Capcom's Marvel comics fighting games (XvSF was released in 1996), continues many of the concepts introduced in X-Men CotA & Darkstalkers/Vampire. It has chain combos and aerial raves, chains can be normally canceled into supers or special moves. The game utilizes a Gem sub-system, by which entering a command input will allow you to use any of the 6 Gems in the game, however the Gem that'll activate is the one highlighted for you at the bottom of the screen. Each of the 6 Infinity Gems offer different buffs, and some characters gain unique buffs from a specific Gem.
For further details (and a good read) on the game's basic mechanics and so forth, read Kao Megura's excellent and simple FAQ:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/saturn/197865-marvel-super-heroes/faqs/5179

Vbt3V.png

9KDFI.png

Marvel vs. Capcom: Clash of Superheroes
PGDT6.jpg

DegND.png

Release dates: January 1998 for Arcades, 1999-2000 For Dreamcast & PSX

The 3rd entry in Capcom's vs. Marvel series, featuring a total of 21 playable characters. If you're familiar with MAHVEL 2 and 3's system, this game should be easy to pick up after some practice. The game utilized a system by which both a team's characters can appear on screen at the same time. The game also allowed you to choose from around 22 assist characters...who were promoted in the game's flyer and certain artwrok. Ryu and Zangief both had the ability to 'Change modes' allowing Ryu to Pallete Swap himself and make him his moves resemble Gouki & Ken's, whereas Gief turns him into a have Ultra-armored Goth Zombie Robot Protector of Mother Russia. Apparently, Ironman was intended to be in MvC1, but licensing issues prevented his inclusion, so Capcom pallete swapped the spirte and we got War Machine in his SUNDAY'S BEST!
For further details (and a good read) on the game's basic mechanics and so forth, read Kao Megura's excellent and simple FAQ:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/arcade/562630-marvel-vs-capcom-clash-of-super-heroes/faqs/56

Vbt3V.png

kHswx.png

R. Assist me:
Maximillian recently completed a Tutorial/Parody series focused on this upcoming release, the series can be viewed here

Thanks go out to
phaonaut for the banners & images
Maximillian for the R. Assist me series

PSN/XBL Online IDs:
Member: Acid08
PSN: Acid08

Member: SlaughterX
PSN: SlaughterX

izakq

Loved, loved, loved MSH. Would always try to get to the end with all six gems in hand. Hard as hell, especially when facing Spiderman.

MisterHero

MvC1 and MSH are amazing games, but that's not all of them!

X-Men vs. Street Fighter
Marvel vs. Street Fighter (this one is my favorite!)

and of course X-Men Children of the Atom where Akuma killed all of the X-Men

nice Shinkiro art lol

Take me for a ride
NO

thank god

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I loved MvC back in the day, how good is the other game included? Never heard of it.

Tizoc

How does this compare features/visuals-wise to last year's SF3: TS re-release?

Hmm it'll have similar filters to 3S OE and have a Vault and challenge mode IIRC.
Furthermore you can disable the 'messages/checlists' on the sides of the screen in this release.

MvC1 and MSH are amazing games, but that's not all of them!

X-Men vs. Street Fighter
Marvel vs. Street Fighter (this one is my favorite!)

and of course X-Men Children of the Atom where Akuma killed all of the X-Men

nice Shinkiro art lol
Would have been cool if they added Xmen vs SF. But this is still an excellent package.

X-Men CotA and XvSF will prob. be released in the near future. They couldn't release a bundle of them because of licensing issues in regards to using 'X-Men'.

Acid08

Banned
Woo!

I quite like these games, fun change of pace from MvC2. I notice that these two games are still in a lot of arcades while 2 is usually nowhere to be found :(

Thanos will destroy ya'll. PSN: Acid08

Woo!

I quite like these games, fun change of pace from MvC2. I notice that these two games are still in a lot of arcades while 2 is usually nowhere to be found :(

Thanos will destroy ya'll. PSN: Acid08

I find it the opposite. I always see MvC2 machines. I found it in a bar once, too. :<

Ifrit

Psylocke? She's not even playable in this games (You can summon her though iirc, but still)

EDIT: Corrected by Oni Link, my bad

Still confused by this package. Sure MvC is more popular than MSHvsSF, but in a bundling perspective, it would like nice having XM&XMvsSF and MSH&MSHvsSF.

That Shinkiro art is amazing. First I've seen of it.

Before buying this thing, how is SF3s holding up online? Are there random matches available at most primetime gaming hours, or is it a barren wasteland?

Is there significantly more people playing PSN vs XBL or are the numbers so low it doesn't matter either way?

I want to buy it on the platform I can actually play against people regularly.

RONG GAME.

I'd be in if it wasn't $15. Then again this isn't being done by Backbone so maybe a demo could sway me... maybe.

$15 for two games isn't a bad deal, especially considering Capcom just released JoJo recently for $20...

Anyway I'll be buying it on the PSN (SlaughterX) so I can use my Saturn pad, so is it supposed to come out today or tomorrow? I really suck at air juggles. *Listen's to Roll's Theme in anticipation.

Tizoc

@SlaughterX- For US, it's when Grace Chen gives the OK to update US PSN on Tuesday...or Wednesday.
EU should get it on Wednesday.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
SOmeone is still playing 3SO on 360 cuz the replay channel on youtube is still getting a fair number of uploads per day.

And if this measures up to the 3SO package it'll be a nice deal. Iron Galaxy still has to patch a few things in 3SO (and a patch is in the works), but their games represent a very good set of stuff. Great screen and presentation options, with scanline support and arcade cab view. Lots of nice stuff to unlock in the gallery, and so forth.

They made a few goofs with the structure of the online in 3SO like not having the full and proper set of filters for ranked play but they're fixing that in the next patch anyway.

Top Bottom