• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvelous Establishes Company With Focus on Senran Kagura

Game, anime, and stage production company Marvelous announced on Friday that it will establish a subsidiary company under the name Honey∞Parade Games on May 9. The new company's main focus will be the production and promotion of the Senran Kagura series, but it also aims to create "next generation" IP.

Senran Kagura series producer Kenichirō Takaki recently established the Honey∞Parade Games studio within Marvelous, and will now serve as representative director for the new company.

The new company has a capital stock of 10 million yen (about US$92,000), fully funded by Marvelous. In addition to home console games, "online games" and "video content" are listed under the company's operations.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...s-company-with-focus-on-senran-kagura/.115156

That is quite the raise for Takaki.

Still, I have to admit I'm more curious about what this new development means for Valkyrie Drive.

Weird thing, Honey Parade was unveiled like a month ago as Marvelous' new internal studio. Is there a precedent for something like this?

Theswweet

This is an odd move, especially since last I heard the series - while still selling well - hasn't done quite as well as its peak. I suppose western sales must be VERY good, then.

Isn't Senran Kagura like the most popular and profitable Marvelous property right now? Makes a lot of sense.

Now to wait for all that animated booty I suppose.

Calm Mind

5e6.gif

RalchAC

$92,000 is not much money. How is that going to work?

When you create a new company, you must deposit some money at a bank account as capital.

It doesn't mean that the company doesn't have any more money or anything. But most countries laws force new companies to invest some money upfront so the company isn't made of thin air and there is something that can be embargoed if it goes bankrupt.

I think you can use properties as capital too, but my memory is a bit fuzzy in those matters.

adroit

When you create a new company, you must deposit some money at a bank account as capital.

It doesn't mean that the company doesn't have any more money or anything. But most countries laws force new companies to invest some money upfront so the company isn't made of thin air and there is something that can be embargoed if it goes bankrupt.
Thank you for explaining. I learned something today.

I wonder how much this franchise sells in the West. I'm guessing it's a lot for the type of game it is, and I also highly suspect digital is a huge share of that, so likely very difficult to track

Outside of Senran Kagura, what other, if any, successful IPs does Marvelous own?

Story of Seasons/ Harvest Moon
30 minute hero?
Valkyrie Drive

I wonder how much this franchise sells in the West. I'm guessing it's a lot for the type of game it is, and I also highly suspect digital is a huge share of that, so likely very difficult to track

We know that Marvelous reported record profits from EV's localization last year but the series itself hasn't been all that succesful in Japan as late. Marvelous even went on record during their 2015 fiscal report that they found SK "disappointing and not very profitable"

Mesoian

I wonder if this means the games will be good now.

Probably not...

We know that Marvelous reported record profits from EV's localization last year but the series itself hasn't been all that succesful in Japan as late. Marvelous even went on record during their 2015 fiscal report that they found SK "disappointing and not very profitable"

It's almost as if the games themselves are incredibly middling and are hinging on fanservice to sell units. Hmm....

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Outside of Senran Kagura, what other, if any, successful IPs does Marvelous own?

There's varying degrees of success here, but they have titles like:

Harvest Moon
Rune Factory
Story Of Seasons
Senran Kagura
Valkyrie Drive
Valhalla Knights
Nitroplus Blasterz (Co-published)
Fate (Extra/Extella)
IA/VT Colorful
Half-Minute Hero
Uppers (Heh)
Skullgirls (Publisher)

The bulk of their titles have mostly been on handheld platforms in the past. Recently there's been more PS4 games and Fate Extella got announced for the Switch, as did a new Senran Kagura digital title. They also have some mobile games, but I don't think any of them have been released outside of Japan.

cicerone

Didn't Marvelous merge with AQ interactive which owned Cavia(Drakengard, Nier), Feelplus(Lost Odyssey) and Artoon(Blue Dragon)?

What are these staff making now?

Malyse

Besides the last boss fight, I've had little to no issues. Unless you're speaking about MP then yeah...single FPS city there.

WHEN ARE WE GETTING AN UPPERS TRANSLATION THO!?
I'm talking about stages not loading and the game popping errors that crash the game and kick me back to the vita home screen. It's very broken. I damn near quit playing because is was so fucking broken.

Besides the last boss fight, I've had little to no issues. Unless you're speaking about MP then yeah...single FPS city there.

WHEN ARE WE GETTING AN UPPERS TRANSLATION THO!?

I play MP every saturday with some friends and I've never had Frame drops.

I'm talking about stages not loading and the game popping errors that crash the game and kick me back to the vita home screen. It's very broken. I damn near quit playing because is was so fucking broken.

I've racked more than 100 playtime hours and nearly 5000 screencaps and I haven't seen anything like you're describing.

The only thing that happened at times was the Dressing Room bug but that was taken care of by the 1.02 patch.

Didn't the company that make the RF games go out of business?
The developer of the games, Neverland, did go out of business, but Marvelous owns the Rune Factory IP and hired a large portion of Neverland's staff. They went on to make Lord of Magna (not great) and haven't done much since. People want Marvelous to continue the series.

Malyse

I play MP every saturday with some friends and I've never had Frame drops.

I've racked more than 100 playtime hours and nearly 5000 screencaps and I haven't seen anything like you're describing.

The only thing that happened at times was the Dressing Room bug but that was taken care of by the 1.02 patch.

K. I'm not the only one. The infinite loading bug is pretty prevalent. And the dressing room crash still happens.

Regardless, it shouldn't have even been released in such a state in the first place.

Top Bottom