• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Avengers - PS5 vs Xbox Series S|X - Graphics Comparison & FPS Test

VFXVeteran

Banned
It’s a port based off the existing game which ran on last generation consoles. It’s not a ground up port. Hence the resolution technics used is similar to PS4 pro and 1X.
The game was ground up for PCs. The codebase for all the graphics features at MAX was already developed. The last gen consoles just got ported down PC settings. The next-gen systems got ports from the PC - NOT the last-gen consoles.

vkbest

If the game is using CB it’s impossible he can count the horizontal pixels. CB is a reconstruction algorithm, giving you a native image but with artifacts. If you can count different horizontal pixels, then it’s not Checkerboard, it’s a scaling algorithm

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
Where is your proof? I have mine. Use common sense.
My proof is 100% of the games being ported so far. Also the obvious ps4 pro resolution and series x is a dead give away. And let's ignore the fact is easier to work on versions that already work on this consoles.

I love you arrogance. Common sense like the common sense wouldn't be up res the last gen version that already work on this systems

VFXVeteran

Banned
My proof is 100% of the games being ported so far. Also the obvious ps4 pro resolution and series x is a dead give away. And let's ignore the fact is easier to work on versions that already work on this consoles.
A developer doesn't create a graphics system that only entails limitations of the lower end systems and then go back and redo all the graphics features for higher end systems when the PC has ALL the graphical features of the PS5/XSX and came out months ago alongside the last-gen systems. Do you really think they made low res textures for last-gen games and then decided to remake the same exact textures at a higher resolution? How can you get 4k textures from originally produced 1k textures without remaking the textures? The high res textures were already made for the PC and the next-gen systems are just using those high res textures.

I hate when you guys come up with excuses as to why something doesn't perform well on the PS consoles. It's really annoying. Take the loss and keep moving. Don't make up shit acting like you are a developer and speaking as if you worked on the game.

SLB1904

Banned
A developer doesn't create a graphics system that only entails limitations of the lower end systems and then go back and redo all the graphics features for higher end systems when the PC has ALL the graphical features of the PS5/XSX and came out months ago alongside the last-gen systems. Do you really think they made low res textures for last-gen games and then decided to remake the same exact textures at a higher resolution? How can you get 4k textures from originally produced 1k textures without remaking the textures? The high res textures were already made for the PC and the next-gen systems are just using those high res textures.

I hate when you guys come up with excuses as to why something doesn't perform well on the PS consoles. It's really annoying. Take the loss and keep moving. Don't make up shit acting like you are a developer and speaking as if you worked on the game.
Who told you they had to go back and redo all the assets?

You claim to be an expert but you know fuck all. Artist create the highest quality assets and down port to whatever bandwidth they have. Did you miss the unreal engine presentation where they said developers create the higher quality assets?
PC is a completely different sku. Did you miss the cut scenes assets are normally higher quality. I bet you didnt thought that through

cyen

You claim to be an expert but you know fuck all. Artist create the highest quality assets and down port to whatever bandwidth they have. Did you miss the unreal engine presentation where they said developers create the higher quality assets?
PC is a completely different sku. Did you miss the cut scenes assets are normally higher quality. I bet you didnt thought that through

Leva a bicleta mano.

DavidGzz

A game I wanted PS5 to at least break even on cause if I ever bought it, it would be with Spidey, but it loses big time. Oh well, by the time Spidey is here I'll probably be busy with current gen games.

VFXVeteran

Banned

The graphics engine is agnostic of platform. Period. They did NOT port from a PS4/1X sku to PS5/XSX when they had the PC hardware to port from that. Every multi-platform game isn't derived from last gen SDKs when they have the PC SDKs where they implement all the critical features like lighting/shaders. But you keep implying to people on this board that ALL multiplatform last gen games get ported up to PS5/XSX SKUs if it makes you feel any better. I'm done arguing about this.

Whatever platform wins whoever has paid for this still loses.

I tried it again this afternoon as I was going to do the Hawkeye stuff but it's just so clunky that after 20 min I just couldn't be bothered with it.

It runs 70 to 100fps on my PC with DLSS and still feels worse than something like 30fps PS4 Spiderman as the camera moves in such a jerky manner.

I can't be sure, but it might've been the AC Valhalla comparison thread. Every other comment was a variation of "eat crow". I told them to enjoy it while it lasted, because sooner or later the power difference would become apparent.

Of course I was shouted down by people saying that obviously Sony's tools would improve over time as well, along with the usual armchair hardware experts explaining to anyone who would listen about how Sony's solution was "elegant" and that we would definitely see similar results throughout the entire gen.

Seems it ended up being sooner.

This is going to happen throughout the generation, the pendulum will swing back and forth. Ppl are desperate for any sort of win. When it swings in their favor they'll come out of the wood works, when it doesn't they go back into hiding... and vice versa. This is what happens when numbers matter so much. I was perfectly happy with the PS3 ports that were "lesser" than their 360 counter parts. I'm sure the vast majority of Xbox One owners were perfectly happy with their "lesser" versions of games, when compared to their PS4 version... unless of course If your enjoyment of a game was tied to how much "better" it was over the competing console.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
I could've sworn that we threw this guy down a well today to never care about his content again?

It's hard to keep up with all this masturbatory non-sense these days.

SLB1904

Banned
The graphics engine is agnostic of platform. Period. They did NOT port from a PS4/1X sku to PS5/XSX when they had the PC hardware to port from that. Every multi-platform game isn't derived from last gen SDKs when they have the PC SDKs where they implement all the critical features like lighting/shaders. But you keep implying to people on this board that ALL multiplatform last gen games get ported up to PS5/XSX SKUs if it makes you feel any better. I'm done arguing about this.
Look it didnt take long have a sit mister common sense

Remedy(Control) Game Dev gives insight into Developing for next-gen.
00:00 - Intro
01:00 - How Control Uses PS5 Activity Cards
06:27 - Why Developing for PS5, Series X with Last-Gen “Sucks”
12:35 - Major Differences Developing for PS5, Series X|S

You can skip to 06:27 if you want as the first part has to do with only the PS5. But the Dev agrees that activity cards help motivate people to finish games, and Devs like it when you finish their games.

Highlights:
-What you see now with upgraded last-gen games to next-gen is limited to what you did coding for last-gen
-Not realistic to completely recode everything to use next-gen stuff because of time and resource

ethomaz

Banned
Maybe they used the Pro/One X versions as a base with PC assets added to upgrade the versions.
Or does the PC have a checkerboard rendering option?
From what I understand from the PS4 Pro CBR you need the specific custom hardware (the register called BufferId) so it can't be replicated in PC unless PC cards started to received that feature (I don't know if newer AMD GPUs has it).

And it is a custom algorithm (code) specifically to Sony platforms found in the SDK... I don't believe any PC SDK has it.

Of course PC has several others techs similar and/or different to Checkboard... it doesn't need to have the Sony's Checkboard.

I will say the Checkboard resolution is only implemented in the PS4 SDK and it is not in the PC code.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
A developer doesn't create a graphics system that only entails limitations of the lower end systems
This is a low-cost update, not even a port.
They would have started from the codebase closest to it. 99% chance the 'gnm' path for PS4 was the baseline and a straight conversion to PS5(we're talking about close to a simple recompile with some fixes, vs. recreating the whole thing if they started from Vulcan or DX12) - with all the associated features included.

ethomaz

Banned

The assets are created in way higher quality than PC tools use.... it is not a issue at all.
If you want a even higher quality asset you just need to get the original and import in the PS4/PS5 SDK... if you import in the same object id/name it will be used without need any change in the code.

SLB1904

Banned
The assets are created in way higher quality than PC tools use.... it is not a issue at all.
If you want a even higher quality asset you just need to get the original and import in the PS4/PS5 SDK... if you import in the same object id/name it will be used without need any change in the code.
Thank you

ManaByte

The assets are created in way higher quality than PC tools use..
raw

Larlight

So people still arguing over something we already know? That Series X version for BC games are going to perform better than the PS5 version? Why is this still so surprising? lol

ethomaz

Banned
The assets are created outside the PC game SDK.... it is the design team that uses tools not related to game but image (assets related to image).
The game developer team get these assets and import them in the Game SDK in use... the Game SDK has limitation in quality so it convert it to the format, size, quality it can use by the Tool.

If you want the highest quality you will need to get the original files and not the assets that are already imported on the Game SDK Tool.

Unreal Engine 4 is free and you can download it (it is limited to 8k textures I believe even if you have a 16k or higher texture to import it will convert)... create a super high quality asset and after import to the Engine use it... compare the two versions.... it is not hard so anybody that can work on Excel or Word can make the test (you can follow that link: https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/RenderingAndGraphics/Textures/Importing/index.html).

Another example... the laser scanned assets from GT or Forza are so high quality that no PC SDK or engine today can´t import or use in the full quality.

Last edited:
Top Bottom