• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Runaways Series coming to Hulu

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://deadline.com/2016/08/hulu-ma...tz-stephanie-savage-marvel-comics-1201799746/

Hulu Orders ‘Marvel’s Runaways’ Series From Josh Schwartz & Stephanie Savage

EXCLUSIVE: Hulu is getting into the Marvel business with a series order to Runaways, a drama series based on the fan-favorite Marvel Comics books. It comes from Gossip Girl creators Josh Schwartz & Stephanie Savage, Marvel Television and ABC Signature

Created by Brian K. Vaughan and Adrian Alphona, the Runaways comics feature a group of teenagers who discover that their parents are part of an evil crime organization.

Written by Schwartz and Savage, Marvel’s Runaways will tell the story of six diverse teenagers who can barely stand each other but who must unite against a common foe – their parents.

The TV adaptation stems from a series of conversations Schwartz and Savage had with executives from Marvel TV over the past year. The project was developed under the overall deal Schwartz and Savage’s Fake Empire had at ABC Studios where Marvel TV also is based.

Coming of age is familiar territory for Schwartz and Savage who created together the successful TV series adaptation of another book series, Gossip Girl. Schwartz also created the coming-of-age Fox drama The O.C.

“We’ve known the Runaways‘ story would make great television,” said Jeph Loeb, EP and Head of Marvel Television, “and being lucky enough to have Josh and Stephanie — who have time and again created shows that speak so genuinely to this exact audience — write and produce the series is nothing short of remarkable.”

Schwartz and Savage will serve as showrunners of Marvel’s Runaways, which they executive produce with Loeb (Marvel’s Jessica Jones) and Jim Chory (Marvel’s Daredevil) Fake Empire’s Lis Rowinski will produce as well.

Neoxon

I guess the Runaways movie was repurposed into a TV show. I'm surprised that they didn't take it to Netflix.

Is this still set in the MCU?

Neoxon

Horseshit, where's my movie?!
Feige hasn't said shit about Runaways for 3+ years.

I guess if he doesn't say anything about Inhumans for just as long, we'll know what happened. Though he recently said that they're still doing Inhumans as of SDCC, so there's hope in that regard.

Litan

Huh...
I read that a Runaways script had been lying around at MarvelStudios since before the MCU began, so I've actually been anticipating it being announced for Phase 4.
Guess not.

Really liked the comics, so I hope this show does them justice.

Neoxon

I believe Nico's mother is in Doctor Strange, so there's set-up for Runaways already in the MCU.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
The O.C. and Gossip Girl were the shit the first two seasons, then it faltered.

Willing to give it a chance. Surely better than Agents of Shield.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Feige hasn't said shit about Runaways for 3+ years.

I guess if he doesn't say anything about Inhumans for just as long, we'll know what happened. Though he recently said that they're still doing Inhumans as of SDCC, so there's hope in that regard.

Lockjaw in AoS S4 finale confirmed. Right before the cancellation announcement. :|

This show and Cloak and Dagger are clearly intended for a evolving audience - younger and more female. I'm perfectly happy with that. Marvel knows how to grow their brand right.

213372bu

Banned
From what I read, which was maybe ~10 issues before I had to put it down, Runaways has been trash.

Weird that this is supposed to be dropped like a pull for Hulu.

BTails

Yeah, probably going to be a bit cut down from the comic. Kinda hard to have a velociraptor on a TV budget.

Also, wasn't one of the characters a Super Skrull in training? Does Marvel Studios even have the right to Skrulls?

S2evXGc.gif

I love this series. It has wonderful characters, a great story and to me avoids a lot of the "teen angst" pitfalls that plague so many stories revolving or even involving kids.

Neoxon

Yeah, probably going to be a bit cut down from the comic. Kinda hard to have a velociraptor on a TV budget.

Also, wasn't one of the characters a Super Skrull in training? Does Marvel Studios even have the right to Skrulls?
Marvel can use the Skrulls, but not Kl'rt the Super-Skrull.

Here's the official Marvel PR:

Marvel Television will be bringing the fan-favorite and ground breaking comic book series, RUNAWAYS, to popular streaming service, Hulu.

Every teenager thinks their parents are evil. What if you found out they actually were? "Marvel's Runaways" is the story of six diverse teenagers who can barely stand each other but who must unite against a common foe--their parents.

"We've known the Runaways' story would make great television," said Jeph Loeb, Executive Producer and Head of Marvel Television, "and being lucky enough to have Josh and Stephanie--who have time and again created shows that speak so genuinely to this exact audience--write and produce the series is nothing short of remarkable."

"I'm a long-time fan of Runaways and couldn't be more excited to bring Brian and Adrian’s characters to life," said Schwartz.

Adds Savage, "Josh and I can't wait to get to work for Marvel and Hulu."

"Marvel’s Runaways" is Executive Produced by series Co-Showrunners/writers Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage ("The O.C.”, “Gossip Girl") along with Marvel’s Head of Television, Jeph Loeb (“Marvel’s Jessica Jones,” “Marvel’s Luke Cage”) and Jim Chory (“Marvel’s Daredevil,” “Marvel’s Jessica Jones.”) "Fake Empire's" Lis Rowinski will produce as well. "Marvel's Runaways" is a co-production with ABC Signature Studios.

More on Marvel.com: http://marvel.com/news/tv/26608/marvels_runaways_headed_to_hulu#ixzz4HcBoz1xB

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I love the Runaways. I've been hoping we would see a movie or TV show soon. Perfection. I think the premise is better suited for a tv show.

Huh...
I read that a Runaways script had been lying around at MarvelStudios since before the MCU began, so I've actually been anticipating it being announced for Phase 4.
Guess not.

Really liked the comics, so I hope this show does them justice.
Agreed. I remember reading them in middle school and really liking them. Excited about this, but I also don't have Hulu so there's that.

Weiss

Banned
The Runaways comics has always been trash, but I think it'd make a great TV show, especially set in the MCU.

jph139

Yes, finally, Runaways.

But... by the showrunners of Gossip Girl? Please Jesus God, do not fuck this up Marvel.

Neoxon

Yes, finally, Runaways.

But... by the showrunners of Gossip Girl? Please Jesus God, do not fuck this up Marvel.
While SHIELD has been 50/50 depending on who you ask, Marvel's been on a roll with their other MCU shows.

That said, I wish that this was on Netflix instead of Hulu.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Yes, finally, Runaways.

Fuck this up? How can the showrunners of Gossip Girl & The O.C. when both shows were great! I mean who didn't watch the The O.C. that shit was so goooooodddd

The%20OC%20-%20Ten%20Years%20Later.png

hidys

Disapointed by it being on Hulu but I suppose it has a very different tone from the other Netflix MCU shows so I can sort of understand why they did this.

I have wanted a Runaways adaptation for a while so I'm pretty hyped regardless.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Can't complain about live action Nico Minoru finally....but man.....Why not a big budget film?

blackflag

Huh, I thought most people liked Brian K. Vaughan's time on Runaways. Lots of hate in here.

I haven't read them since they first came out, I liked them back then, though.

I loved it when he wrote it. The first 2 limited series or whatever. Can't even remember now.

As I said in the other, now closed thread:

Let's be honest, Gossip Girl does have the proper Runaways aesthetic.

gossip-girl-season1_2.jpg

Albeit with all white people.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Since I had this already written in the other thread:

How does that make it meaningless?
The idea is that all these things supposedly work in the same world, but if all that happens is the passing reference then what's the point? Because surely the Runaways won't show up on the Netflix universe, nor will the Shield agents show up to investigate a team of children who have powers because their parents were super villains (and there aren't even really supervillains in the Marvel universe anyway, which is already a bit strange).

Well, considering how the film & TV side have been split and that Feige and Perlmutter are dead, I'd say you're right. But frankly I'd take quality TV shows over working around the movies. Agents of SHIELD really really suffered for that and I hope no other show faces that sort of self-sabotage in an effort to unify the universe. The Netflix series do it well: just the occasional reference to cement they're in the same universe and then go on.
You know, I'd actually wouldn't mind if Runaways was just completely standalone and cut off from the MCU crap. At least it could just do it's own thing and not worry about stepping on anyone's toes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom