• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Runaways Series coming to Hulu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now let's pray for a Nextwave series or film.

Nextwave is Saga levels of unfilmable. And that makes me cry inside everytime.

From the other thread:

Wish it wasn't Hulu since it's still USA only, too bad Netflix didn't pick this up instead.

Well, I'd say international distribution rights for the show might be sold to Netflix, but who really knows?

Don't know the Runaways but I'm not sure I want to pay for Netflix AND Hulu.

Looking up images, my wild guess would be that the shows going for a younger demographic than what I would be. But I see a dinosaur, so I still have an interest.

The plot summary is the perfect cocktail of teen angst, minor uses of CGI, dysfunctional familial relationships, and sexual tension to work perfectly with the showrunners' sensibilities.

SArcher

Banned
I read the first 18 issues and was enjoying it right up until the twist after which the quality really went down imo. I tried a few issues of the next volume but the book simply didn't have a direction anymore.

Blader

Huh. Surprised that this ended up on Hulu. Though given that Marvel seems to be pulling the plug on the ABC shows, maybe Hulu is their new replacement for handling the non-Netflix shows?

Horseshit, where's my movie?!

Drew Pearce, the IM3 writer, wrote a screenplay for it but it was shelved years ago.

I'd be curious to see someday all of the unused scripts that Marvel has stockpiled over the years. Tons of stuff, like Runaways and a Nick Fury/SHIELD movie, that weren't produced because they fell out of step with the MCU plans.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I read the first 18 issues and was enjoying it right up until the twist after which the quality really went down imo. I tried a few issues of the next volume but the book simply didn't have a direction anymore.
Hah, that's about where I gave up as well.

But it was a really neat book when it first came out. That and Young Avengers, actually. (Which I have to imagine someone is trying to work on at this moment)

Can they use Molly?

inhumans-49f8wg.jpg

They'll just change her story to an Inhuman. I'm sure since Fox got their two mutant TV series, they'd be willing to let Marvel TV use her albeit not as a mutant.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
I am so on board with all of that. I'm somewhat skeptical of it being on Hulu, but whatever.

I do hope Cloak & Dagger will be able to appear in the series eventually, though.

They'll just change her story to an Inhuman. I'm sure since Fox got their two mutant TV series, they'd be willing to let Marvel TV use her albeit not as a mutant.
She was a Runaways character, mutant or not. Do they really have any say in her appearance outside of not calling her a "mutant?"

I am so on board with all of that. I'm somewhat skeptical of it being on Hulu, but whatever.

I do hope Cloak & Dagger will be able to appear in the series eventually, though.

She was a Runaways character, mutant or not. Do they really have any say in her appearance outside of not calling her a "mutant?"

See, that's where I get regularly confused. I can't remember if Fox owns the rights to all mutants in Marvel as a whole, or just those affiliated with the X-Men.

Actually wait, considering the whole brouhaha with Scarlet Witch & Quiksilver, its likely those associated with the X-Men. So, likely yes, Molly belongs to Marvel Studios/TV but the rights with calling her a mutant are probably with Fox. So, they'll just Inhumanize her.

neoanarch

Huiu has been pretty great with their original programming. Casual, Difficult People, The Path and 11/22/63 were all very well done. Plus of its a Marvel product then it doesn't matter anyway. I just hope they can crossover more freely. Cloak and Dagger and Punisher would be great.

Slayven

See, that's where I get regularly confused. I can't remember if Fox owns the rights to all mutants in Marvel as a whole, or just those affiliated with the X-Men.

Actually wait, considering the whole brouhaha with Scarlet Witch & Quiksilver, its likely those associated with the X-Men. So, likely yes, Molly belongs to Marvel Studios/TV but the rights with calling her a mutant are probably with Fox. So, they'll just Inhumanize her.

*cough*

3654017-allnewxmen-cvr-027-final-3d3b1.jpg

tomtom94

Irritatingly, this probably means it will air on Fox in the UK (they picked up Agent Carter and that Hulu thing with James Franco) which means I'll have to wait months. But cool that it exists.

Don't the rights get decided based on which hero/group the person is affiliated with & which book they started out in?

For Kingpin, his first appearance was in a Spider-Man comic but the character has become affiliated with Daredevil since Miller's run, hence why Marvel could use him in DD. Fisk was a shared character with Sony.

So, in the case of Molly, her first appearance is in a Marvel-owned property but she has become affiliated with the X-Men. So, its a shared character, using the Kingpin reasoning. Marvel can use her, but can't call her a mutant. Fox can use her and call her a mutant, but can't use the Runaways.

Slayven

Don't the rights get decided based on which hero/group the person is affiliated with & which book they started out in?

For Kingpin, his first appearance was in a Spider-Man comic but the character has become affiliated with Daredevil since Miller's run, hence why Marvel could use him in DD. Fisk was a shared character with Sony.

So, in the case of Molly, her first appearance is in a Marvel-owned property but she has become affiliated with the X-Men. So, its a shared character, using the Kingpin reasoning. Marvel can use her, but can't call her a mutant. Fox can use her and call her a mutant, but can't use the Runaways.

AI am pretty sure mutants is a blanket thing, there are a ton of characters that are mutants and never fucked with the X-men and marvel hasn't used them.

213372bu

Banned
Can't complain about live action Nico Minoru finally....but man.....Why not a big budget film?

They're not really fit for a movie.

They "run away" from others, escape from incoming danger, have random romance plots, internalize angst, try fitting in with another superhero group, realize they don't want to be with them, run away again etc.

Neoxon

Concerning Molly, if the rights for her are shared, they can just say that she realized that she was an Inhuman after taking a fish oil pill & call it a day.

This show and Cloak and Dagger are clearly intended for a evolving audience - younger and more female. I'm perfectly happy with that. Marvel knows how to grow their brand right.

Yeah, well, that's cool.

I want a Blade TV series though. Keep expanding that mature audience. Punisher, Daredevil, and now give me Blade and Ghostrider. Hulu or Netflix is fine with me.

Mang I don't wanna have to sign up for damn hulu

Keep it all on Netflix

Marvel owes nothing to Netflix and want to expand their brand. Now that the big 4 are all co owners of Hulu (DIS, TWX, CMCSA, FOX), you can expect more original shows like this to show up there. They are actually a very big challenger to netflix and cable companies with their current strategy and publicly known roadmap.

Neoxon

This is a much better format for the Runaways than a movie in my opinion. I'm just wondering if its gonna be apart of the MCU.
Most of Marvel's shows are in the MCU (barring the Fox shows). And with Nico's mother in Doctor Strange (at least judging by the prologue comic), they already have set-up for The Runaways in the MCU.

Pau

The Runaways was the first comic I started picking up. Great entry point for a younger audience.

I prefer longer narratives over shorter ones but the smaller budget hurts a bit. Plus it means less cameos like
Captain America

Are they going to let
Alex
live this time? If not, I'm passing on it.
He's still a character after he dies.

Yay! It's finally happening! I hope it gets a proper budget.

Wish they would stick with Netflix.

The Netflix shows are more or less the Marvel Knights imprint of the MCU. It's the darker, street level, as adult as they can get side. Runaways doesn't really make sense there in context of the other shows unless they plan on putting a bunch of new shows on there to broaden that focus.

neoanarch

Runaways is the perfect place to introduce some of the more fringe areas of the Marvel universe. Aliens, Vampires, hopefully Ultrons return or legacy continued, magic, the criminal underworld, andall of this wrapped in a neat little story about teenagers.

Kalentan

Most of Marvel's shows are in the MCU (barring the Fox shows). And with Nico's mother in Doctor Strange (at least judging by the prologue comic), they already have set-up for The Runaways in the MCU.

Is the prologue comic for Doctor Strange out?

AI am pretty sure mutants is a blanket thing, there are a ton of characters that are mutants and never fucked with the X-men and marvel hasn't used them.

There is a difference between Marvel using them and them not having the rights. I'm blanking out on those non-X-men mutants, which prominent ones are there?

And I hope this means Marvel gets BKV to write them a new Runaways ongoing.

Ridley327

This always did make a bit more sense as a TV series, though I could easily see how you could get the first arc condensed into a film. Surprising to see it on Hulu instead of Netflix, though I guess they might want to keep it separate with the Netflix series being decidedly more adult in content?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
surprised and disappointed about Hulu since I'm not in the US, but it is what it is. hope Netflix can stream it in the rest of the world.

cautiously optimistic. I'm glad they're finally doing something with it and I think it's a better fit for TV anyway.

This always did make a bit more sense as a TV series, though I could easily see how you could get the first arc condensed into a film. Surprising to see it on Hulu instead of Netflix, though I guess they might want to keep it separate with the Netflix series being decidedly more adult in content?

Or Hulu just wants a piece of the MCU action since they're the ones paying for it.

ABC Signature Studios doing a special effects heavy show like this (with the dinosaur and powers and stuff) will be interesting since they mostly do cheaply produced shows... I know they are producing Cloak & Dagger too, but the CG in that won't be as extensive.

Slayven

Quake was a mutant before MCU happened. Heck Cloak and Dagger were mutants when the Fox contract was signed, before that was retconned in the mid-2000's.

Pretty sure they went with Quake getting her powers from hyde's fucked up dna from the start. The premise of the team was kids from criminals.

We going to skip over C and D getting powers from fucked up heroin?

Or C and D getting powers because it was part of D'Saprye plan to take over hell?

Both came before the mutant thing, and way more valid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom