• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Runaways Series coming to Hulu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty sure they went with Quake getting her powers from hyde's fucked up dna from the start. The premise of the team was kids from criminals.
That was Secret Warriors though... Quake's original appearance was in the Secret War series which came out 4 years earlier, IIRC she was depicted to be a mutant there (i.e. her powers had awakened when she was a teenager and stuff).

We going to skip over C and D getting powers from fucked up heroin?

Or C and D getting powers because it was part of D'Saprye plan to take over hell?

Both came before the mutant thing, and way more valid

Yeah but they were made into mutants eventually and were marketed as such (mainly back in the late 80's X-Men craze when they were trying to boost their popularity). They remained mutants for many years (trading card from the mid-90's):
Cloak-and-Dagger.jpg

I've been waiting for a Runaways adaptation and now you're telling me I'll have to get Hulu to watch it? Ugh.

There's a free 1-week trial you know... You can probably just binge it and then cancel. If not there are promotions to extend that to a free month all the time.

Slayven

That was Secret Warriors though... Quake's original appearance was in the Secret War series which came out 4 years earlier, IIRC she was depicted to be a mutant there (i.e. her powers had awakened when she was a teenager and stuff).

Yeah but they were made into mutants eventually and were marketed as such (mainly back in the late 80's X-Men craze when they were trying to boost their popularity). They remained mutants for many years (trading card from the mid-90's):

Many years in limbo

Busty

Banned
I'm not sure why people are so shocked that Hulu is getting a Marvel project. Disney is part of the 'owners group' that owns and controls Hulu.

And given that Schwartz will be producing this I assume it will be 'lighter' than Netflix's brand of Marvel show.

It's actually a great bit of diversification from Marvel/Disney in that respect.

Slayven

I'm not sure why people are so shocked that Hulu is getting a Marvel project. Disney is part of the 'owners group' that owns and controls Hulu.

And given that Schwartz will be producing this I assume it will be 'lighter' than Netflix's brand of Marvel show.

It's actually a great bit of diversification from Marvel/Disney in that respect.

Than it won't be Runaways

PBalfredo

I love Runaways so I'm glad they are saving it from limbo after the film got shelved. I think a series is a better fit than trying to cram the first arc of the comic into a two hour film. The best part of Runaways is the characters and they need room to breath.

I'm not familiar with Hulu's original programming. I hope it will share the same quality as the Netflix originals, since those have been great so far.

Does Hulu release entire seasons at a time like Netflix does with its originals?

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Showrunners with a history in teen dramas kind of raises an eyebrow in the context of "these guys got a comic license," but... it's series about rebellious teen superheroes. It couldn't be a more perfect fit.

jdstorm

Banned
No one is mentioning that Josh Schwartz also was primarily involved in the creation of Chuck, and wrote an initial treatment for X-men first class.

This series is in good hands
For at least 1 season

guek

Banned
Only runaways worth a damn

390682-61217-klara.jpg

The rest can go in the bushes
Klara represent!

Though your omission of Arsenic and Old Lace cuts deep.

This news is disheartening though. I really, really, really fucking dislike using Hulu. A lot. I 'aint paying for that shit but I love Runaways. Budget is also a major concern. No Old Lace, no sale.

I love Runaways, Josh Schwartz shows, and have Hulu, so I'm in! The Molly problem can easily be explained by just saying she has powers and never calling her a mutant.

Platy

AI am pretty sure mutants is a blanket thing, there are a ton of characters that are mutants and never fucked with the X-men and marvel hasn't used them.

Squirrel Girl for example was a mutant in the moment whem the rights were sold and he is still a Marvel movie/tv propriety

Cause the latest Marvel Television show, Legion, is not MCU. Also I feel that if it was MCU, they would have mentioned it from the get-go.
Legion is a Fox/X-Men property though. Whereas Runaways was always going to be Marvel even back when it was a film.

And they didn't mention C&D to be part of the MCU in the announcement either. They confirmed it afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom