• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvels Secret Wars by Hickman & Ribic |OT| Everything ends... Everything begins

Status
Not open for further replies.
GAF member Sinitar created this reading guide for Hickman's run.

17325736411_a6719d7735_o.png

I remember being exhausted by Infinity and taking a break for a bit because the event was kind of lackluster. What I didn't know at the time is that things start getting really good once Infinity is out of the way.

83 titles.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
The Phoenix is the literal embodiment of Life. Using and saving Phoenix means life still has a chance.

One again Cyclops was right.

life where?
if the living tribunal, infinity oblivion and eternity were wiped out by the beyonders, what is the phoenix force going to do?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
So, anyone know what really started the road to the end?

Vague Memory Time
Was it The Reed Council, the Bridge and Future Reeds?
Age of Ultron Wolverine "Pym Hunt" Shenanigans?
Time Paradox X-Men i.e. way to go Hank
The various life's and death's of Thanos/Infinity Stone's
Something from the old original Secret Wars

Or just what was going on in the end, the combo of The Beyonders going "we're bored" and Doom's creation of Incursions?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Vague Memory Time

Or just what was going on in the end, the combo of The Beyonders going "we're bored" and Doom's creation of Incursions?

Something set the Beyonders off, maybe they were bored or maybe it was something else. Right now we have no idea, we do know that the incursions were all DOOM trying to beat them and give everyone a fighting chance.

Vague Memory Time

Professor Horton creating the original Human Torch.

Final panel of the series will be a shot of Lee and Kirby with the caption "Comic books were a mistake. They're nothing but trash."

Professor Horton creating the original Human Torch.

Final panel of the series will be a shot of Lee and Kirby with the caption "Comic books were a mistake. They're nothing but trash."
Right now, I could see Reed saying "Spacecrafts were a mistake. They're nothing but trash."
Like he should have realized 52 years ago.

Sadist

You know who else didnt make it?
Time paradox X-Men
Well Marvel loves to kill Jean Grey, with the Incursion it's two birds with one stone ;)

Sad to see young Cyclops go. And he just got back :(

Vague Memory Time

Well in New Avengers #33...

Doom mentions that he started killing multiversal Molecule Men 25 years ago and after seven years, the first incursion happened. While the events you mention will have some influence, to me it seems that killing off MM was the beginning of the end. The Beyonders were the ones that implanted a MM across the multiverse and I suppose as a natural defense mechanism it started the incursion.

kswiston

I haven't read those issues of S.H.I.E.L.D. since they were released, but Galactus' herald in that picture looks like one of the Ex Nihilo beings.

Ohnonono

Picked this up yesterday. Haven't decided if I am going to wait until I read all of the lead up to read them but it looks nice!

Haven't seen so many people interested on comics on so much time.
Between movies and the buzz of this even non reader friends have been asking me about all this "marvel universe ending".

Good job Marvel. Well played.

Haven't seen so many people interested on comics on so much time.
Between movies and the buzz of this even non reader friends have been asking me about all this "marvel universe ending".

Good job Marvel. Well played.

then when the time infinity war is about to be released, they can market it about marvel cinematic universe ending. brilliant.

Eidan

If I go to my local comic book store, what are the chances that I'll find all those titles?

I'm essentially asking what is the best method for me to get all this stuff?

graffix13

Read issue #1 last night. Pretty good start. I've been reading Avengers and NA so I had the backstory. I can see how readers just jumping into SW #1 could be a little lost though.

Best part was seeing my boy
Cyclops and his Phoenix Egg. I am hoping the 'how' and 'where' he got this egg is addressed by BMB in UXM #600. I am not holding my breath on that that though.

graffix13

Who else feels that Hickman could totally write an X-Men book?

This...this would be so great. I'd love to see it. But I think Hickman said he's leaving Marvel after this event. I am hoping Gillen gets the X-books again but probably not.

If I go to my local comic book store, what are the chances that I'll find all those titles?

Hmm I'd wait for the trade BUT if you want to get caught up now yeah you can check your LCS, another great place to buy back issues is www.mycomicshop.com/. They have a huge selection (with variant covers if that's your thing) and the packaging is always top notch. I've never had any problems with them.

Cth

Lastly, 616 Reed believes in nothing now. His family is gone, and he has nothing holding him back now. For anyone going up against Richards now:[/spoiler]
RuBFcAa.jpg

Didn't the Council of Reeds say something along these lines? They were confused why he still had a family and how they got stuff done BECAUSE they didn't have family?

Remmy2112

I hope this leads to 616 Reed beating the shit out of Ultimate Reed/Maker. That version and his creations have had Mary Sue levels of power for a long time and really, really are getting tiresome.

Afrodium

Banned

Most of this outside of the more recent issues has been collected in trades. If you have a tablet you can get a month of Marvel Unlimited for $10 and read almost all of it, and then pick up the recent issues on Comixology (this will probably cost about $60)

The quickest and easiest way is to get them digitally. There are two bundles on sale (here and here), they'll get you 77 issues for 70 bucks. This assumes you're willing to go digital obviously.

deleted

Holy Shit, that's a nut concept. So all different Marvel Universes go down and instead some parts are merged from now on to one place were multiple instances of one character live?
I love it!

Mind you I haven't really read any comics besides some Batman stories and a bit from the most recent Hawkguy run, but some of the stuff in the OP looks appealing.
Do you think I must have read or appreciate older Marvel stuff to read 1872, Old Man Logan, Future Imperfect and Planet Hulk?
I know many characters and events by threads on GAF or some trivia I picked up here or there, but I haven't read any of the original stories besides Planet Hulk, which I liked more as a concept and not as an actual story.

This stuff looks fairly self contained or like a spin on older stuff. Will they stand on their own, or will everything play into Secret Wars or Battlegrounds?

Holy Shit, that's a nut concept. So all different Marvel Universes go down and instead some parts are merged from now on to one place were multiple instances of one character live?
I love it!

Mind you I haven't really read any comics besides some Batman stories and a bit from the most recent Hawkguy run, but some of the stuff in the OP looks appealing.
Do you think I must have read or appreciate older Marvel stuff to read 1872, Old Man Logan, Future Imperfect and Planet Hulk?
I know many characters and events by threads on GAF or some trivia I picked up here or there, but I haven't read any of the original stories besides Planet Hulk, which I liked more as a concept and not as an actual story.

This stuff looks fairly self contained or like a spin on older stuff. Will they stand on their own, or will everything play into Secret Wars or Battlegrounds?
They look to stand on their own with some being new concepts like 1872 while old man Logan is a sequel to the original story.You should be able to read them on their own.

Fintan

Is there an article/list laying out all the seeds/hints/easter eggs for Secret Wars throughout Hickman's other Marvel work?

Afrodium

Banned
I love it!

None of the Battleworld stuff is out yet so it's hard to say, but my guess is that all of these series can be enjoyed and understood without knowing having read the original story but are more enjoyable if you are familiar with the source material. You can get Marvel Unlimited (I recommend it to everyone and I swear I'm not some astroturfing shill, it's just a great service) and read a lot of the original stories by the time most of the Battleworld stuff comes out. Old Man Logan can be read in a day easily, and Future Imperfect is only two issues. 1872 isn't based on anything so you'll be good to go for that one.

bengraven

So weird to think that they're literally, canonically killing characters I've been reading for 20 years. Like this is literally the end - this isn't Heroes Reborn or the Age of Apocalypse or What If?. This is canon.

Yeah, they get a "do-over" when it's over, but chances are these aren't going to be the same versions of their characters.

Why is Wasp acting like incest is normal?

What's wrong with Mark Millar?

Why does he write these things?

He's a cynical sociopath. That's why he was a breath of fresh air when he came out, but has become a joke now.

So weird to think that they're literally, canonically killing characters I've been reading for 20 years. Like this is literally the end - this isn't Heroes Reborn or the Age of Apocalypse or What If?. This is canon.

Yeah, they get a "do-over" when it's over, but chances are these aren't going to be the same versions of their characters.

He's a cynical sociopath. That's why he was a breath of fresh air when he came out, but has become a joke now.

Depends on what you mean by that. Assuming they go with a simple "new main universe" ending I can't see the aftermath being anything other than a new main Marvel universe that is essentially 616 with pieces, mostly/entirely characters(?), grabbed from the UU and perhaps some other places. Sure, it may well be that (most) everyone is restored from being dead/erased, but that's not exactly a new concept. Even if what we end up with isn't technically 616 it will almost certainly be 616 in spirit.

Are most of these books ending in July or do we just not know the release schedule for August yet?

The latter. August solicitations won't be out for another two weeks.

bengraven

Depends on what you mean by that. Assuming they go with a simple "new main universe" ending I can't see the aftermath being anything other than a new main Marvel universe that is essentially 616 with pieces, mostly/entirely characters(?), grabbed from the UU and perhaps some other places. Sure, it may well be that (most) everyone is restored from being dead/erased, but that's not exactly a new concept. Even if what we end up with isn't technically 616 it will almost certainly be 616 in spirit.

I guess it's not worth speculating, because the things I want to know won't be obvious until the thing is over. Will it be characters replacing other characters, will it be characters combining with other characters, will people acknowledge the events or what happened ("oh hi Ultimate Storm, you're a bit younger and meaner than our Storm...do...we mourn her or are you "her" her...or...something?").

I guess we'll know in the end.

Or when the new solicitations happen and we see the new titles and whatever they're calling it (since they'll likely do away with "marvel now").

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i love that Secret Wars 1 is sandwiched by Doom hurling a MM bomb at the Beyonders.

at the moment of that impact, the 2 Earths crashed into each other.

that moment was when 100,000s of Earths died, and we saw but one of the collisions... maybe the other World v World stories all take place in that moment?

I guess it's not worth speculating, because the things I want to know won't be obvious until the thing is over. Will it be characters replacing other characters, will it be characters combining with other characters, will people acknowledge the events or what happened ("oh hi Ultimate Storm, you're a bit younger and meaner than our Storm...do...we mourn her or are you "her" her...or...something?").

I guess we'll know in the end.

Or when the new solicitations happen and we see the new titles and whatever they're calling it (since they'll likely do away with "marvel now").

Well, I mean, DC spent almost 30 years trying to resolve the fallout of COIE so I just can't see Marvel or Mr. Hickman doing anything that would create a continuity mess. That being said, you're right that waiting is needed, at least until next week when we should get a grasp on exactly how the Battleworld works.

deleted

They look to stand on their own with some being new concepts like 1872 while old man Logan is a sequel to the original story.You should be able to read them on their own.

None of the Battleworld stuff is out yet so it's hard to say, but my guess is that all of these series can be enjoyed and understood without knowing having read the original story but are more enjoyable if you are familiar with the source material. You can get Marvel Unlimited (I recommend it to everyone and I swear I'm not some astroturfing shill, it's just a great service) and read a lot of the original stories by the time most of the Battleworld stuff comes out. Old Man Logan can be read in a day easily, and Future Imperfect is only two issues. 1872 isn't based on anything so you'll be good to go for that one.

Thanks - I'll have a look at 1872 at least then. Marvel Unlimited is not for me. I don't read them regularly enough for it to pay off..

bengraven

Thanks - I'll have a look at 1872 at least then. Marvel Unlimited is not for me. I don't read them regularly enough for it to pay off..

1872 is going to be so fucking awesome. I love Marvel but I love Westerns even more. I hope they continue it past Secret Wars (the writer has 60 pages of notes and world building). A town called "Timely" where Steve Rogers is sheriff, Tony Stark is the blacksmith, Wilson Fisk is the rustler's boss AND we get the classic Marvel western heroes showing up. Can't wait.

Fintan

Were there other people on the raft "off screen"? Or are the people we saw at the end of the issue the 616 survivors?

Cth

Is there an article/list laying out all the seeds/hints/easter eggs for Secret Wars throughout Hickman's other Marvel work?

There's a Facebook page that covers some of this..not sure the name offhand but I think it's secret wars theories or something similar.

He's actually a really nice guy. And as much of a joke as some would label the guy, his concepts sell.

Not sure how true, but man Marvel is petty as fuck if so.

I also wonder if they are trying to use characters from FF in their movies by creating legal grey area with character associations. Though if the contract was good, it would have mentioned the members and villains by name.
What's petty about it?
seeing these characters in new situations sounds pretty interesting to me

So more stuff feeding the bullshit that Marvel cancelled FF out of spite to Fox, and not because the sales were low. Got it. Where is the article about cancelling anything X-Men related last year? Or do we have to wait until next year for that?

But back on topic, and now that we are out of the spoiler zone for issue 1, I love how quickly 616 shut down U. Fury's attack. Fury goes in with everything he's got, and catches 616 by surprise. Yet they still kicked his ass in hard in a short amount of time. Of course, The Maker knew it would happen like that, but it was still cool to see.

Slayven

Guys you can recon comics, but you can't recon legal contracts.

Marvel could kill off Johnny, Ben, and Sue, then turn Reed into a socipathtic mad scientist intent on saving the world his way. And Fox will still have the rights.

So more stuff feeding the bullshit that Marvel cancelled FF out of spite to Fox, and not because the sales were low. Got it. Where is the article about cancelling anything X-Men related last year? Or do we have to wait until next year for that?

But back on topic, and now that we are out of the spoiler zone for issue 1, I love how quickly 616 shut down U. Fury's attack. Fury goes in with everything he's got, and catches 616 by surprise. Yet they still kicked his ass in hard in a short amount of time. Of course, The Maker knew it would happen like that, but it was still cool to see.

I remember when Clarmont lied and said Marvel said "No new mutants". And he created a new mutant that same month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom