• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvels spider-man 2 graphics disappointed

mortal

Gold Member
what.......its because people like you take screens off of the youtube video not directly from the feed like they do
lol people like me? I'm barely in the graphics threads, and I even praise indie games that aren't graphical powerhouses all the time.
How did you get that impression from such an innocuous question? It's not like I called the visuals shit.

I was also specifically comparing in-game screenshots vs official press release screenshots. Not sure where you got YouTube from?

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Come on, they're actually very impressive, they must not be "a generational leap" but barely anyone cares at this point, graphics already look amazing, or... maybe... do you need to fill something void in your life with novelty just to generate some dopamine or something like that..? Hmmmm...

Many here act like "it's year XXXX, we should be shitting on previous year thing because it's year XXXX!!1"... As if stuff stopped being just because they should, period :pie_eyeroll:

If the game looks only like a very small incremental upgrade over a previous generation title with almost no major gameplay changes or updates (No, I don't consider the Wingsuit or the "Slingshot" to be major upgrades to how you play/traverse the world), then we should see more effort placed in improving the graphical fidelity. Especially for a game that is a console generation *older*.

This game looks like a glorified DLC/expansion. If they *do* have much more changes in store - they should have showed them off. What they have shown makes it look like Spiderman 1.5.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Am I crazy does anyone else notice that official PS5 screenshots tend to look better than actual screens from the games proper?
They look sharper, and the shadows are softer and more varied across the image.
I suspect official screenshots released by PlayStation are touched up to some degree.
Maybe you're right and it's just photo modes, but their official screenshots always look noticeably better than anything I can produce, even with the built-in photo modes.
Those are probably touched up maxed out pc version screenshots since in the last 2 games they always put "Captured on PS5/4" on the bottom corners
bzmUpd4O5o7GtuqKE1kCDFse.jpg

Spider-Man_PS4_Selfie_Photo_Mode_LEGAL.jpg

kuncol02

Banned
Am I crazy does anyone else notice that official PS5 screenshots tend to look better than actual screens from the games proper?
They look sharper, and the shadows are softer and more varied across the image.
I suspect official screenshots released by PlayStation are touched up to some degree.
First time? It's almost always true. They are usually rendered with much higher resolution and later downscaled or rendered with detail level impossible to achieve in game.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Maybe you're right and it's just photo modes, but their official screenshots always look noticeably better than anything I can produce, even with the built-in photo modes.
They are always going to pick the cream of the crop. The screens could also be from a newer build than the demo real as well. Go into the screenshot threads online, and there are people who have a knack (no pun intended) for capturing screens that are just as good and in some cases better than official press release screens.

I think it doesn't look generation better than 2nd son. not at all
and it's not always rainy night in infamous

I do. I think it looks an entire generation better in how the city is lit alone with shadows, scale, object density, resolution, ray tracing, AO, framerate, etc..

Second Son was a fantastic looking game, and was obviously a greater leap than the gen prior, but diminishing returns are a thing, and it's still noticeably better. Especially at 4K, and more than likely will look even better than that demo slice at launch.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
They are always going to pic the cream of the crop. The screens could also be from a newer build than the demo real as well. Go into the screenshot threads online, and there are people who have a knack (no pun intended) for capturing screens that are just as good and in some cases better than official press release screens.
Fair enough. I guess I just suck at taking really good screenshots then :messenger_grinning_sweat:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
They are always going to pick the cream of the crop. The screens could also be from a newer build than the demo real as well. Go into the screenshot threads online, and there are people who have a knack (no pun intended) for capturing screens that are just as good and in some cases better than official press release screens.

I do. I think it looks an entire generation better in how the city is lit alone with shadows, scale, object density, resolution, ray tracing, AO, framerate, etc..

Second Son was a fantastic looking game, and was obviously a greater leap than the gen prior, but diminishing returns are a thing, and it's still noticeably better. Especially at 4K, and more than likely will look even better than that demo slice at launch.
It won't look any better. the game is done.
Of curse spider man got higher LOD and technical aspects are better. Less shortcuts than infamous.
But he end result is what it is in the demo

Hugare

An interactive linear cutscene where they can use insane gfx without limits vs open world game. Gaf really has a huge amount of idiots.
RDR 2 looks better than 99% of linear games from that same generation.

It also looks better than Spider-man 2 in many places, btw.

They are themselves to blame that instead of using their budget in a smart way, they are wasting it on RT shadows/reflections, so the game only looks marginally better than Miles Morales on the PS5

Also, you could prove your point without being an asshole calling me names

That scene ran at 1080p/30 fps on PS4.

Spider Man will run at dynamic 4k/60 fps with some ray tracing.

Compare that.

Spider-man 2 wont run nowhere near 4K. Miles Morales/Remastered run at 4K/40, and they werent pushing the PS5 as much as 2 will. So expect upscaled 1440p/60.

And guess what resolution Uncharted 4 runs at 60 on the PS5? 1440/60

So yeah, its comparable

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
RDR 2 looks better than 99% of linear games from that same generation.

It also looks better than Spider-man 2 in many places, btw.

They are themselves to blame that instead of using their budget in a smart way, they are wasting it on RT shadows/reflections, so the game only looks marginally better than Miles Morales on the PS5

Also, you could prove your point without being an asshole calling me names

Spider-man 2 wont run nowhere near 4K. Miles Morales/Remastered run at 4K/40, and they werent pushing the PS5 as much as 2 will. So expect upscaled 1440p/60.

And guess what resolution Uncharted 4 runs at 60 on the PS5? 1440/60

So yeah, its comparable
Uncharted 4 is 40-50fps in 4k mode with unlocked fps. Looks absolutely glorious still. I just replayed it.
it's crazy how well this ps4 game looks

Kataploom

Gold Member
If the game looks only like a very small incremental upgrade over a previous generation title with almost no major gameplay changes or updates (No, I don't consider the Wingsuit or the "Slingshot" to be major upgrades to how you play/traverse the world), then we should see more effort placed in improving the graphical fidelity. Especially for a game that is a console generation *older*.

This game looks like a glorified DLC/expansion. If they *do* have much more changes in store - they should have showed them off. What they have shown makes it look like Spiderman 1.5.
Again that weird argument I've seen so much recently... By that logic Uncharted 2 and 3 are just DLC/expansions of the first game, same with God Of Wars 1 and 2, same with Gears of Wars 1 - 3. Same with basically almost every sequel ever created.

Not every dev is Zelda team that will re-think new visuals or mechanics almost all the time, fans of the games most of the time are happy with small improvements + more content, barely anyone demands huge leaps, but even then this game looks amazing, not in comparison to previous game but in itself.

It also looks kinda boring with all the QTE shit but that's another matter... And just to clarify, I'm far from being Sony fanboy (Hell, I'm yet to play first Spiderman on PC).

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Again that weird argument I've seen so much recently... By that logic Uncharted 2 and 3 are just DLC/expansions of the first game, same with God Of Wars 1 and 2, same with Gears of Wars 1 - 3. Same with basically almost every sequel ever created.

Not every dev is Zelda team that will re-think new visuals or mechanics almost all the time, fans of the games most of the time are happy with small improvements + more content, barely anyone demands huge leaps, but even then this game looks amazing, not in comparison to previous game but in itself.

It also looks kinda boring with all the QTE shit but that's another matter... And just to clarify, I'm far from being Sony fanboy (Hell, I'm yet to play first Spiderman on PC).

Uncharted 2 and 3 were on the same system.

Gears of War 1-3 were on the same system.

God of War 1-2 were on the same system.

This is a generational leap. This is God of War 2 to God of War 3. This is God of War 3 to God of War 2018. This is DOOM 3 to DOOM 2016. This is Uncharted 3 to Uncharted 4. This is Halo 2 to Halo 3.

There is no excuse.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I will say something. That Venom Suit is almost Craig levels of bad imo....

I hope they change it before launch, becuase tbh...I am more than happy with the rest of it. I've accepted it, and I love insomniac so I know it will be great fun. I'll sink hours into this...but man...change that outfit...its so bad.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
BTW the game doesn't look bad or anything, its just disappointing that a PS5 exclusive first party game from a dev that made some of the best looking games prior to this showed such a average looking (average for PS5 only) gameplay reveal.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Uncharted 2 and 3 were on the same system.

Gears of War 1-3 were on the same system.

God of War 1-2 were on the same system.

This is a generational leap. This is God of War 2 to God of War 3. This is God of War 3 to God of War 2018. This is DOOM 3 to DOOM 2016. This is Uncharted 3 to Uncharted 4. This is Halo 2 to Halo 3.

There is no excuse.
Doesn't make the game look bad though and the same argument was said for GOW: R which was on the same machine than GOW 2018 and TOTK vs BOTW (even when the both games are barely any similar).

Maybe the problem is not the game looking "bad", but "not looking like a generational leap"... Yeah, that stopped happening because of manpower + budget + hardware performance relative to previous gen + long development cycles, get used to it.

So basically people need to get some fulfillment from novelty in order to generate some dopamine and get frustrated when they don't even get THAT? They should worry more about other stuff going inside than about a game, tbh...

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Doesn't make the game look bad though and the same argument was said for GOW: R which was on the same machine than GOW 2018 and TOTK vs BOTW (even when the both games are barely any similar).
Yes, those aren't generational leaps. They are games released and designed for the same platform. Why bring them up?

Maybe the problem is not the game looking "bad", but "not looking like a generational leap"... Yeah, that stopped happening because of manpower + budget + hardware performance relative to previous gen + long development cycles, get used to it.
Also never stated the game looks bad. It just looks like more of the same. They have shown little to nothing aside from two very minor traversal options and like 1? 2? new gadgets? If they spent 5 years working on this game, I would expect it to look remarkably more impressive than it does for a game that is PS5 exclusive. Especially 3 years into its lifespan.

So basically people need to get some fulfillment from novelty in order to generate some dopamine and get frustrated when they don't even get THAT? They should worry more about other stuff going inside than about a game, tbh...
Literally could be said of any tent pole AAA sequel right now

Sounds like a lot of folks had wildly unrealistic expectations
New Girl Facepalm GIF by HULU

It was actually ratchet that made me expect more. Even when I see it now it makes me say "wow". That's why I expected the same wow factor with spider-man 2. Don't get me wrong it looks good. Just not as good as I expected. I would even say horizon forbidden west looks better and that's a cross gen PS4 game. I guess insomniac have never really Been at the top when it comes to visual like the way Guerrilla or naughty dog are.

Also, when the fuck will some of you learn that in engine or realtime doesn't mean thats how it will actually look in the final game? It never does. Have you already forgot about that hellblade 2 reveal? The final game will look nowhere near that level.

Last edited:

Msamy

No generational leap happened in games like horizon forbidden west ( cross generation title but used some of ps5 power )which are not the case with spiderman2

Last edited:
Well not really. I think diminishing returns will come in 20 years, not now. Take a look at some UE5 demo gameplays, it looks amazing.
The UE5 demos do look good. Nothing that wows me though. So diminishing returns have been here for more than 10 years for me. As I said, the last game that really blew me away was when I saw FFX running on a PS2.

So be it

PS4 can run Horizon FW. It could run this.

From a visual standpoint, ignoring the seamless transition and traversal speed

I don’t disagree

There won’t be any games that release this gen that would be impossible on last gen consoles

Sure they’ll be heavily downgraded and look worse. Or have longer loads. But they otherwise would be possible

Hugare

I don’t disagree

There won’t be any games that release this gen that would be impossible on last gen consoles

Sure they’ll be heavily downgraded and look worse. Or have longer loads. But they otherwise would be possible
Dont know about that

Demons Souls, for example, had way too much geometry on display. To make it work on the PS4 would require a completely redesign of all areas in the game, basicaly remaking the whole thing.

Spider-Man 2 wouldnt be able to run due to the seamless transition between Peter/Miles and setpieces designed around the new, faster traversal speed. But from a visual standpoint, yeah, it would run on a PS4 with downgrades.

I believe that with UE 5 we will see games that couldnt run on the PS4 from a visual and design perspective. They will have way too much geometry and lighting designed around RTGI that couldnt be downgraded, and traversal/environment interactions that wouldnt be possible on a HDD and Jaguar CPU.

I believe that with UE 5 we will see games that couldnt run on the PS4 from a visual and design perspective. They will have way too much geometry and lighting designed around RTGI that couldnt be downgraded, and traversal/environment interactions that wouldnt be possible on a HDD and Jaguar CPU

UE5 is a huge drop off in clarity

It’s why matrix demo looks worse than SM2 to me on consoles

Hugare

UE5 is a huge drop off in clarity

It’s why matrix demo looks worse than SM2 to me on consoles
I'm a "effects over clarity" kind of guy

I preffer running Cyberpunk at 720p with Path Tracing than at 1080p with no RT, for example

But its a matter of taste thing, so I also see your point

Lysandros

Dunno man, when you can actually have a screenshot without the blur from the movement it all looks pretty good.

yyQ99AS.png

jgUu6N9.png

GbeEfQZ.png

tave0aI.png

Water surface seems to have RT reflections which could justify the very low textures on far away objects since those RT effects are costly.
The first two pictures are from the only section which i found to be pretty impressive/worthy of PS5 first party exclusive envelope.

Kataploom

Gold Member
No generational leap happened in games like horizon forbidden west ( cross generation title but used some of ps5 power )which are not the case with spiderman2

Yet Spiderman 2 doesn't look bad, also, you haven't seen enough footage or talk about features... Your OP is full of hyperbole like they actually downgraded the game to look like a mobile game or something

Msamy

Yet Spiderman 2 doesn't look bad, also, you haven't seen enough footage or talk about features... Your OP is full of hyperbole like they actually downgraded the game to look like a mobile game or something
No one tell it look like mobile game , what I am saying that this game not look like next generation title for me and thats what makes me disappointed

OCASM

Banned
Most developers won't ship a game that looks like that this gen and that's a good thing. Let them focus their budget, time and resources on to other areas of the game.

You'll get a handful of games that look around that level this gen, but that doesn't change that 90% of shipped games will just be an evolution of existing tech given the costs and time its already taking to make new games. So yes, diminishing returns applies to most games that releases, bar a few exceptions. These exceptions aren't better games either than the likes of Elden Ring, ToTK etc, in fact the reverse.
Most of the budget is still going to graphics and asset creation. Devs this gen are just lazy.

Apparently the water is now ray traced in SM2. I think our concerns will ultimately be another chapter in "gamers don't know shit about game development" once it finally releases.

Proper ocean reflections aren't impressive. We had them already in the PS2 and PS3 eras.

And to say TLoU2's animations were "the same as most AAA games last gen" is an outright lie. Look, there can be criticism, but certain user's post histories go above and beyond that and these threads are like flies to honey when they come out of the dormant alt account woodwork, and as far as that disingenuous clown, I should have known better than to engage with, has a ripe history of that.
Quote me if you're gonna talk shit about me. The only edge TLoU2 has over other games in terms of animation is budget to create thousands of variations. Tech wise it's nothing we hadn't seen before even on PS3 (KZ2/3, Max Payne 3).

For crying out loud, some people are using TECH DEMOS to try and win an argument. TECH DEMOS!

If that's the case, we can spam every single game EVER MADE with the disingenuous tech demo arguments.

This goes beyond constructive criticisms and into lunacy territory or in that person's case, outright trolling.
Tech demos are the only recourse when devs are lazy and only make souped-up PS4 games.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Most of the budget is still going to graphics and asset creation. Devs this gen are just lazy.

Proper ocean reflections aren't impressive. We had them already in the PS2 and PS3 eras.

Quote me if you're gonna talk shit about me. The only edge TLoU2 has over other games in terms of animation is budget to create thousands of variations. Tech wise it's nothing we hadn't seen before even on PS3 (KZ2/3, Max Payne 3).
I'll quote you directly. Your post history and goal shifting is always on display. I said what I said.

Tech demos are the only recourse when devs are lazy and only make souped-up PS4 games.
And this is why your retarded shit can't be taken seriously.

Please refer to this thread title, honk honk.
gamers-are-stupid-and-dont-know-sh-t-about-development.1657041/

Go see burning shores.
I have a feeling we will all be revisiting this thread come launch.

Last edited:
Top Bottom