• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's The Avengers |OT| (Dir. Joss Whedon) [Spoilers unmarked]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fry

Lol @ the just trying to be different comment. I genuinely don't understand why people adore that performance so much. It was so god damn bland and boring. But that's just my opinion. It doesn't affect me either way, glad to see there's a defense force for it though, pathetic really.

What's pathetic about defending an Oscar-winning performance? I've watched the movie more than 10 times, and his performance still blows me away. In fact, I only watch the movie because of the Joker.

Dude I think TDK is 75% pure trash, but Heath's Joker is fucking amazing.

You out there.

May have been the better actor in contrast with a gargly voiced Batman, but not deserving of the ball licking praise he gets from most people.

Edit, I think this will be my last post regarding my opinion of him. Won't end well.

noah111

Still Alive
Estimated $200.3 million OW and $640 million WW.
Who woulda thought... gat damn.

I don't know why you guys are so surprised.... well, okay, so fucking high numbers are surprising, but not the fact it's a big hit. It was a huge movie event that has been building up for four years.
Probably because almost everybody thought it would be a mediocre movie right up until it was the early screening and the ridiculously good reviews started to pour in. No one really expected this.

cap_fear_1.jpg
Ugh, reminded me of the shittyness of the "Ultimate Comics: New Ultimates" (honestly though that pic was from this, actually);

Z5hyo.png

Id say it more depends on how well Ant-man does.

Doctor Strange - Magician. That's easier than explaining how a tiny man can help.
Not really, actually.

fear itself should not count...especially since nothing happened , what a waste of an event. Comics are guilty of doing shit like this though, next someone will break adamantiumor bend wolverines claws. If superman isnt safe no one is.
Already been done;

hlPuX.png

i6qNO.png

Kdl90.png

SedXh.png

:lol

noah111

Still Alive
Edit, I think this will be my last post regarding my opinion of him. Won't end well.
I love it when gaffers do this, right outta the playbook.

1. make a borderline troll post
2. derail thread
3. call everyone pathetic
4. bail out

Good riddance.. next time try doing that in the DKR thread or something.

Solo

I really hope Marvel Studios, who are notoriously cheap with their actors, shells out some nice bonuses to them after this.

2. derail thread
4. bail out

I'm "bailing" for the sake of the thread. And how was my post trolling? Because I was expressing my opinion that you're fantasy "I am always right" world couldn't handle?

Cyan

Banned

2. derail thread
4. bail out

And a good time was had by all.

People don't understand the fact that they can choose to ignore something(an opinion) they don't agree with. Instead, they choose to become the "I KNOW THE RIGHT ANSWER" police and end up trolling themselves.

noah111

Still Alive
I really hope Marvel Studios, who are notoriously cheap with their actors, shells out some nice bonuses to them after this.
Yeah, didn't Evans get some ridiculous amount? I really, really hope that no one on the roster leaves in the fashion that Norton did, another recast would kill me. They need to anchor these dudes (&Scar).

Also, lovely random Avengers art;

03%20Avengers%2025.jpg

404253_2485522542906_477656358_n.jpg

This is getting silly. Avengers has mass appeal just like TDKR will have mass appeal. Take out 3D and you lose a good chunk of money. But it's impressive because there is a shit ton of 3D failures then there is 3D success. Avengers is a great success, but to say TDKR is not popular enough to make that much money is silly. The real reason why TDKR might not make that much is because Nolan won't let WB shoehorn 3D. Which is why i love him.

Fry

People don't understand the fact that they can choose to ignore something(an opinion) they don't agree with. Instead, they choose to become the "I KNOW THE RIGHT ANSWER" police and end up trolling themselves.

You know your opinion on the matter isn't a popular one, so you posted knowing people would disagree with you. So that argument is bullshit.

You know your opinion on the matter isn't a popular one, so you posted knowing people would disagree with you. So that argument is bullshit.

Actually no, I didn't know it was an unpopular argument. I don't keep track of these things as I have interests elsewhere.

noah111

Still Alive
White Vin Diesel as THOR
He can't grow hair!!

I'm "bailing" for the sake of the thread. And how was my post trolling? Because I was expressing my opinion that you're fantasy "I am always right" world couldn't handle?
Actually no, I didn't know it was an unpopular argument. I don't keep track of these things as I have interests elsewhere.
You say that'll be your last post on the topic, then you make three subsequent posts trying to attract more attention and responses (not to mention derail). Don't pull the "I had no idea my unpopular opinion would garner this much attention!" card. C'mon, you aren't that dumb.

Either way, this isn't the place to be having a back and forth on an actors performance of a completely different film that's been around since two thousand fuckin eight..
gtfo, or stfu.

Cyan

Banned
Just quit responding man, it's clear that dude really wants the last word. Let him have it, and he'll go away.

Raistlin

Shwarma sales will go through the roof this month
Guess what I'm eating right now?

Real talk - I actually get Mediterranean food once or twice a month, so it's not like this was a stretch

Adam Baldwin for Thanos!

Yes, I am kidding.
The interesting thing is that Damion Poitier is playing Thanos ...

... an actor that had one of his first roles on an episode of Firefly :p

Most digital projectors out there these days are at least 2k.
For clarification, theaters (and now the CE industry) use horizontal pixel counts when describing resolutions ... not the vertical we are used to. 2K normally refers to 2048×1080. In other words, it's only nominally higher resolution than 1080p

Who woulda thought... gat damn.

Probably because almost everybody thought it would be a mediocre movie right up until it was the early screening and the ridiculously good reviews started to pour in. No one really expected this.

Ugh, reminded me of the shittyness of the "Ultimate Comics: New Ultimates" (honestly though that pic was from this, actually);

Not really, actually.

Already been done;

:lol

is that magneto removing wolverine's adamantium? It was done a loooooooooong time ago (this is where the "bone claws" wolverine came from) so its not totally ridiculous- but that looks like some alternate universe stuff right there. edit: just realized that's the ultimates.

noah111

Still Alive
is that magneto removing wolverine's adamantium? It was done a loooooooooong time ago (this is where the "bone claws" wolverine came from) so its not totally ridiculous- but that looks like some alternate universe stuff right there.
Yeah it's from the Ultimate comics, the 'Ultimatum' arch.

The interesting thing is that Damion Poitier is playing Thanos ...

... and actor that had one of his first roles on an episode of Firefly :p
I highly doubt he'll get signed on again, tbh. Could be wrong, but he seems too small time for something like this. Maybe he's actually a good actor, who knows.. he was in Star Trek, actually. :lol

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Shawarma is so good

Pricey, but well worth it

NYC is like a safe haven for them, just get near a Jewish Neighborhood, and start the feasting

noah111

Still Alive
Shawarma is so good

Pricey, but well worth it

NYC is like a safe haven for them, just get near a Jewish Neighborhood, and start the feasting
Really? How much are we talking? Literally costs me less than a dollar here (50 SYP = 0.86741 USD, to be exact). :lol

I couldn't find this shit back in Texas if I tried, though.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Really? How much are we talking? Literally costs me less than a dollar here (50 SYP = 0.86741 USD, to be exact).

I think it's $4.95 if you get the sandwich made, if you want platter I think $2 extra, but rice + salad, more meat, humus, etc.

Sblargh

Banned
Loved the movie. As an old everything-marvel fan (except Wolverine. Hate Wolverine), I have to say I am very pleased. Some comments:

- Great to see the Hulk personality slowly turning into his Joe Fixit persona. For a movie, I think it really suits him being part-green and part-grey instead of all monster.

- I almost cried seeing the Helicarrier takes off. It was so the moment that it hit me that I was watching this movie.

- I don't know if this was conscious, but the Black Widow + Hawkeye storyline was more like the Scarlet Witch + quicksilver in their relationship. Of course Hawkeye is part of the "villains turning heroes" equation, but the way they are a duo inside the team really resembles them. And when I noticed this, I felt a lot that I want my Scarlet Witch. :(
But I understand the decision

- Captain America was good, the moment where he orders everyone around was not perfect, but I was so happy to seeing it in movie that I did not care. Here is Captain America, he is telling Hawekeye to be a spotter, the Hulk to be a tank, Thor to do something only he can, and so on; it is his defining characteristic in the dynamic of the team and I'm really glad it was important. He is my favorite superhero ever, so I had this unreachable expectation for him in this movie, but hum, I don't know,

- Thor was a bit off, people went on and on about how the Hulk was dangerous, but I didn't felt like they had the same success in hyping how the Thor is incredible powerful too; didn't help how he seemed to fight on equal standing with Iron Man. The part where he hammers the Hulk on the jaw was one of the best parts of the movie, tho.

- Iron Man was spot on, not much to comment, he was just right. Maybe a bit too right, it was obvious he would do some sort of self sacrifice after the talk with cap, but I really expected the captain to tell Thor to carry him through the portal, for the rescue, I don't know how that would have worked out, but for a team movie it felt a bit too much that this character was slightly more important than the rest.

And that's it for initial feelings.

AND HOLY SHIT THANOS.
During the initial scenes it was obvious that there was a cosmic power behind Loki and Thanos was obviously on my list of possibilities, but I ended up thinking Mephisto was a better bet as Thanos is a nihilist and never one to command an army. I was wrong, but it doesn't matter, bring on the INFINITY GAUNTLET!

Raistlin

Really? How much are we talking? Literally costs me less than a dollar here (50 SYP = 0.86741 USD, to be exact). :lol

Under a dollar? Damn :D

I guess it's all relative though. Probably the easiest way to look at things is to compare it against other similar foods. I'm not sure what's going on in NYC, but where I live (northern suburb of Buffalo), it's generally in line with would you'd pay for a large sub or a decent wrap from most places.

I think it's $4.95 if you get the sandwich made, if you want platter I think $2 extra, but rice + salad, more meat, humus, etc.
Wait ... what?

How is that 'expensive' for NYC? I pay more for it in Buffalo. lol

The shawarma scene basically redefines what post-credits scenes can be. Why does it have to be a tease for the next film? Shove that in post-credits so everyone will see it. As cool as it was to see Thanos, seeing The Avengers chilling and eating like that is much better. I'll take something like that any day.

Give Skyfall a post-credits scene where Bond is doing his laundry or something.

The shawarma scene basically redefines what post-credits scenes can be. Why does it have to be a tease for the next film? Shove that in post-credits so everyone will see it. As cool as it was to see Thanos, seeing The Avengers chilling and eating like that is much better. I'll take something like that any day.

Partially agree. The post-credits scene is now a Marvel Film staple, so they should absolutely have next film teasers in them. However, the Avengers post-credits scene was just amazing BECAUSE it came out of left-field.

noah111

Still Alive
- I almost cried seeing the Helicarrier takes off. It was so the moment that it hit me that I was watching this movie.

- I don't know if this was conscious, but the Black Widow + Hawkeye storyline was more like the Scarlet Witch + quicksilver in their relationship. Of course Hawkeye is part of the "villains turning heroes" equation, but the way they are a duo inside the team really resembles them. And when I noticed this, I felt a lot that I want my Scarlet Witch. :(
But I understand the decision
I didn't experience that extreme of an emotion, but I definitely share the sentiment. It was just one of those moments where you're allowed to step back as a comic book reader and for once say to yourself "wow, i'm really seeing this right now". After all, what is comic book reading if not imagining static images in motion, and it's always sort of surreal in one way or another to see it actually happen on the big screen.. and well, at that.

Also, that SW/QS comparison didn't even cross my mind, nice catch. I think you're right, they're trying to compensate for the lack of those characters in some way.. we'll prob. see more of that.

fear itself should not count...especially since nothing happened , what a waste of an event. Comics are guilty of doing shit like this though, next someone will break adamantium or bend wolverines claws. If superman isnt safe no one is.

you mean like in one of my very favorite issues of the 90s?

wolverine7500.jpg

tmpulaeas.jpg

Magnus snatches that adamantium right out of his fucking body. So epic. He was like, "I'm tired of you. Lemmie hold dat, Logan."

Partially agree. The post-credits scene is now a Marvel Film staple, so they should absolutely have next film teasers in them. However, the Avengers post-credits scene was just amazing BECAUSE it came out of left-field.

Yeah, I was more talking about films in general. Marvel Studios films, yeah, I expect- nay, demand- they have teasers to the future designed to give fanboys erections, but everyone else should play around a bit more with it.

For clarification, theaters (and now the CE industry) use horizontal pixel counts when describing resolutions ... not the vertical we are used to. 2K normally refers to 2048×1080. In other words, it's only nominally higher resolution than 1080p

Ah my bad, I knew that too at some point, too.

noah111

Still Alive

This is true. It would be a good way to incentivize watching the credits, which not enough people do these days, even for great movies they adore, everyone'll just walk out instead of pay some respect..

Worst case scenario is only the die hard fans of whatever the movie is, will end up staying, but that's enough imo.

One of my favorite things about the movie was how uneasily people treated banner and reactions whenever Hulk was in an enclosed space like on the Helicarrier, and ESPECIALLY when Hulk encounters Loki and he's both acted by Ruffalo and treated by Loki as a violent animal you don't want to set off. Having been in a room with violent, unstable animals before I totally get what both actors were going for and think they pulled it off perfectly, with Hulk making kind of quick and anxious movements and Loki trying to not move suddenly.

noah111

Still Alive
What scenes did the audiences you were with react to best?
People here seemed to react really well to the shawarma line especially, but maybe more out of surprise (like 'did he really just say that?') than pure comedy. The adopted line got some good laughter, too.

But obviously Hulk stole the show.

Epcott

Yeah, Hulk was the star of the show. I didn't expect it to be so long though... thank goodness I went to the bathroom before I left the house and stood in that insane line on Friday night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom