• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's The Avengers |OT| (Dir. Joss Whedon) [Spoilers unmarked]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I liked that scene too. Better respect Cap.

For those of you still confused about Hulk's different transformations, keep in mind that he's not necessarily fully aware of what's going on while Banner is out. Even if you don't want to get into the technical stuff about how Banner controls the transformation. Look at it this way:

Banner gets hurt pretty bad in the explosion on the helicarrier. Hulk comes out and the only person he sees near him is Natasha. Obviously someone like Hulk is going to think, "Puny woman with sweet sweet booty must have made big boom and hurt Banner! Hulk smash her!"

Then out of nowhere, Thor comes out to save Natasha and starts beating on Hulk. "Goldilocks thinks he's stronger than Hulk! Hulk is strongest there is! Hulk smash him!"

Then a fucking fighter jet comes out of nowhere and starts shooting at Hulk, etc.

Put yourself in Hulk's hypothetical shoes and it's not hard to see why he was so unruly on the helicarrier, as opposed to a controlled transformation at the end of the movie where Banner is able to communicate with him and tell him that there are puny aliens flying all over the place killing innocent civillians...Hulk's gonna work with the team then.

apana

I think the line I laughed most at was "they are unruly and therefore cannot be ruled", but I was the only one in my theater laughing and a few people looked kind of annoyed at me.

That's what I'm thinking. My seat shook multiple times in the movie.

Funny you should mention that (though I speak to the issue in a previous post). The first place I saw it was here.
http://newtowntheatre.com/
I hate to shit on a community theater, but most gaffers would have freaked out here. lol

1. There was a drum seat (they also do music performances)next to the subwoofer, sounded like it was thundering outside (guys did move it quickly). Sounds was muffled overall.
2. Top and Bottom were cropped by a mess covering (not by much, but this isn't a charity screening or something)
3. They never had the curtains drawn for twenty minutes so it look liked it wasn't anamorphic (for lack of a better term) and being seen on a Widescreen TV.
4. Old school seating, I don't mean just no stadium seating, but metal (though cushioned) ones that don't recline back.

Even with that it was nice to see a movie in a non-megaplex. If you've ever been to the Lowes Jersey City, Rome Theater, and other old school theaters (which admittedly are better restored), it's a nice change from the multiplex and 10 minutes from my house and the municipal lots are always free!

http://www.newtowntheatre.com/projector/default.htm
THAT SAID they are trying to improve things.
Movie viewing in Nation’s oldest, Movie Theater, is in danger of becoming a lost pleasure. Audiences which, for generations, have enjoyed their favorite flicks from the balcony or main floor of the Newtown Theatre are faced with a challenge. Will they step up to help raise the $100,000 needed to replace the 64-year-old 35 mm film projectors? Movie production companies have issued the ultimatum. Within a year 35mm film versions will no longer be produced and movie theaters must be prepared to project movies with digital equipment. And that is the $100,000 challenge. Newtown Theatre, whose building alone is steeped in history, sits on North State Street in the historic Borough of Newtown. Movies were first shown in the building in 1906 when viewers got their first look at film images of the San Francisco Earthquake which happened that same year. Prior to the movie showing era, the building, built in 1831, served as a lecture hall, town meeting place and theatrical venue. Generations of Bucks County residents have crossed the threshold of Newtown Theatre for date nights, family outings and movie premiers. Without the funds needed to purchase a digital projector, occasions like this at the Newtown Theatre will no longer be available for the general public. As the era of 35mm film winds down, the race to raise funds to replace the older equipment kicks into high gear. Theaters like the Newtown Theatre are struggling through these hard times to come up with the $100,000.00 needed to replace their 64 year-old projectors. The 501 (c)(3) non-profit has kicked off its campaign to raise the needed monies. Donations may be mailed to: Digital Projector Fund 226 N. Lincoln Ave Newtown Pa 18940 and made payable to the Community Welfare Council of Newtown Check out www.newtowntheatre.com and watch the results of the ongoing fund drive. A thermometer on the left of the website tracks the donations, while the names of donors stream across the middle of the page. Everyone who has had the pleasure of watching a movie at the Newtown Theatre might like to know that their help is needed to insure that generations to come will have the same experience of being able to watch first-run movies at the historic theater.

The fate of mankind is "zero stakes"? Huh, news to me. And I'd say there's something personal at stake as well with Stark doing what he does in the end, to prove that he IS a hero and not just some selfish jack-ass (which someone said he was, iirc).

Sure, any movie can throw out such a broad, generic stake. But in the execution there was not a single moment where I didn't think our heroes would get out with barely a scratch. So, after an hour of action, entertaining as it is, the film gets a little tiring.

Anyone else think that Whedon will use this as an opportunity to introduce S.W.O.R.D. in the sequel? SWORD and Abigail Brand are his creations and I could imagine them playing a small part of Thanos is the villain.

It would also make sense to setup a SWORD base after the events of this movie.

I have nothing against them not having civilians die. It takes nothing away from the movie for me.

I think civilians did die, it just wasn't obvious. During the media montage at the end, some people were holding candlelight vigils for those who died.

Slayven

Anyone else think that Whedon will use this as an opportunity to introduce S.W.O.R.D. in the sequel? SWORD and Brand are his creations and I could imagine them playing a small part of Thanos is the villain.

It would also make sense to setup a SWORD base after the events of this movie.

I wouldn't be mad. But I wonder if they are covered under the X-men rights, since they were primarily used there.

Sure, any movie can throw out a such a broad, generic stakes. But in the execution there was not a single moment where I didn't think our heroes would get out with barely a scratch. So, after an hour of action, entertaining as it is, the film gets a little tiring.

Yeah, I think for the first film the villain were basically thrown in there to essentially show off how awesome the team looks when they work together. It was a helluva lot of fun for someone like me but there wasn't a single moment when I thought any of the Avengers would be killed, wounded or fail.

Coulson I kind of figured had it coming. Whedon needs blood sacrifice.

I think civilians did die, it just wasn't obvious. During the media montage at the end, some people were holding candlelight vigils for those who died.

Yeah, though I think the point was to show Superheroes actually saving people. I mean and it's nothing against Nolan, but it's nice to see something not gray, but "fuck yeah, they're saving the day!" I'm speaking to the ending battle.

That said it was fairly tame as opposed to Transformers 3, which caught me really off guard with the level of death and destruction.

There was also the "he's adopted" moment where it was said that 80 (or 40?) people died, IIRC.

Certainly a ton of people died in the beginning. And that yeah Loki killed 80 people.

Look, if you didn't mind it, that's fine. I still enjoyed the movie a lot. I'm trying to find a way to not sound like such a bloodthirsty individual, but just to me, the Chitauri were severely underutilized and were merely a tool for the Avengers to pummel for our enjoyment.

These days it's not enough to just have an exposition character say in an ominous voice that the fate of mankind is at stake. You have to prove it and make the audience feel it. Didn't feel it here.

As for civilian deaths, it's just like Transformers/Spider-Man/Batman/every other summer action movie. Realistically, a ton of people would die in all that destruction and buildings collapsing but of course they're not going to show it in order to not make the movie feel dark. Kind of like in car chases every pedestrian always jumps out of the way at exactly the right time.

Izick

Well, then I don't mind them not showing me civilians blatantly and obviously getting murdered.

Maximus.

There was also the "he's adopted" moment where it was said that 80 (or 40?) people died, IIRC.

That is correct, I forget who, says that Loki killed 80 people. That adopted line was priceless though! There were also candle vigils in the tv montage stuff too.

edit: WEOWWW 207.4m!? Go Avengers!

Anth0ny

Oh thank god I wasn't the only one wanting to see some MvC hypers go down, just ITCHING for that Gamma Crush. We got quite a few Gimlets out of Hawkeye, and just like in the game it hits behind him too :lol

Shane Black, if I ever get an Iron Avenger out of you, I'll have your children.

Same. The only thing that would have made Hulk better was a GAMMA TSUNAMI

Also, I expected this to start playing every time Cap did something awesome.

WillyFive

These days it's not enough to just have an exposition character say in an ominous voice that the fate of mankind is at stake. You have to prove it and make the audience feel it. Didn't feel it here.

You don't need to show the death of a civilian to get the point across that a huge army is coming out of a hole in the sky completely destroying New York to smithereens. And they were very good at showing New York being destroyed to smithereens.

Well, then I don't mind them not showing me civilians blatantly and obviously getting murdered.

Yeah, as I said Transformers 3 had that, and honestly, I was fine without it. That's really odd coming from me, but like I said I think it was also about getting the job done, making up for the failure on the Helicarrier.

WJD

Watched Iron Man again last night and realised that the shot of Obadiah chasing Pepper through the hallway while smashing shit up is exactly the same as the one with Hulk and ScarJo.

General musing.

Funny you should mention that (though I speak to the issue in a previous post). The first place I saw it was here.
http://newtowntheatre.com/

Weird, that's 10 minutes away from where I work at (Yardley). Didn't know I was in such close proximity to you, Manos. :p

I saw it at the Movie Tavern in Collegeville. I don't think I can see a movie anywhere else (getting beer delivered to you is the stuff of legend).

Tobor

You don't need to show the death of a civilian to get the point across that a huge army is coming out of a hole in the sky completely destroying New York to smithereens. And they were very good at showing New York being destroyed to smithereens.

Exactly. Besides, this movie was for kids as well as adults. You can't show piles of bodies, nor do you need to.

apana

I think these constant comparisons to Nolan films are kind of forced, mostly because fanboys on both sides have been arguing about their favorite superheroes and still want to. He is doing his own thing and I think it is brilliant but Avengers works because it doesn't aim too "high" and contort itself to take the shape of a drama.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Saw this on ILM's Twitter feed. Probably a long shot for anyone to win of course.

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id...ronManLSF_HulkPF_Giveaway&utm_campaign=Marvel

Enter your information below for a chance to win an Iron Man Mark III Legendary Scale™ Figure worth $1949.99 or an Incredible Hulk Premium Format Figure worth $324.99!

nR39q.jpg

Size*
40" H (1016mm) x 20" W (508mm) x 20" L (508mm)

Weight*
25.00 lbs (11.34 kg)

JUEVi.jpg

Product Size:
20" H (508mm) x 18" W (457.2mm) x 16" D (406.4mm)*

Product Weight:
51.00 lbs (23.13 kg)*

DMczaf

I was having A-Team/James Bond henchmen flashbacks during the invasion. Jesus christ flying chariot aliens, HIT A CIVILIAN. Don't aim where they are, aim where they are going to be!

NO! THATS AN EMPTY CAR! You moron, there's a person right there! FUCK! Too late, they ran into a diner. Damn it!

Weird, that's 10 minutes away from where I work at (Yardley). Didn't know I was in such close proximity to you, Manos. :p
Cool. Yep I pass Yardley on my way home every day. Love the area, very nice small town, but still not quite Bama, PA.

I saw it at the Movie Tavern in Collegeville. I don't think I can see a movie anywhere else (getting beer delivered to you is the stuff of legend).
I wish I knew of this place before now!

Well if you want to see it again later! lol

Maximus.

It amazed me after so many Marvel movies, that so many people left the theatre before the credits were over. Half the theatre missed the first scene and 3/4 missed the final scene.

I think these constant comparisons to Nolan films are kind of forced, mostly because fanboys on both sides have been arguing about their favorite superheroes and still want to. He is doing his own thing and I think it is brilliant but Avengers works because it doesn't aim too "high" and contort itself to take the shape of a drama.

That and in the end neither Whedon or Nolan's last name is Alexander.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Any good movie or comic podcasts/reviews/analysis links that have popped up recently?

I want to see what others are saying, but I don't know who's worthwhile to listen to/read.

Good film. The Chitauri were boring villains though and didn't interest me.

It was clear the audience were rooting for Hulk though, more than any other character and started going mad with laugher for a minute after he hit Thor.

I'm not saying they needed to show people dying, I'm just saying I never once felt like anything was seriously at risk. The Dark Knight, by contrast, did a great job of making you feel like the fate of the whole city was in peril and that was just from one crazy guy.

.GqueB.

Banned
Anyone find it odd that THOR didn't power up Ironman's suit in the final battle? Correct me if I'm wrong but didnt IM get a power boost when Thor shocked him in the forrest scene?

WillyFive

Post 3D conversion sucks.

I could not tell it was post converted. The detail to the 3D in this movie is fantastic. The only weird parts were the shots that were shot from very far away (like the helicopter chasing the car), and that looked exactly like it would with real life binoculars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom